The Chance to Do It All Again

Breathless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So, I've gotten like 200 new subscribiers since my last update and omfg suffice to say that I am overwhelmed. Thank you so much to all of you who have subscribed, commented, upvoted, and stuck with this story. While the next chapter is not yet the last one for this fic, I feel in my heart that this story is nearly coming to a close. I mean, the ending that I have in mind is like really near at this point? Hahaha. If you're nervous about how I'll leave things in this fic, then you probably have reason to. Kidding. Totally kidding. Or not.But we'll cross that bridge when we get there, my dear readers. For now, here is Breathless part 5. 

~~

After checking room 808 with no one inside it but a sleeping Kai, Kyungsoo decides to head over to the hospital cafeteria. He sees the dynamic duo of nurses first, speaking in uncharacteristically low tones. Kyungsoo approaches them apprehensively, still timid after his last encounter with them, in which he had snapped at them for nothing. Well, something, but they were just concerned for him. He can’t begrudge them, as he’s felt like hell the past few weeks, looked like it even more so.

“Hi, you two.” He mumbles as he reaches their table.

The two look up, matching wide smiles on their faces when they realize who had spoken to them. “Dr. Soo!” Baekhyun greets. “How are you?”

“I’ve been better,” Kyungsoo answers truthfully. No need lying with the bags under his eyes and paler than normal complexion.

Chanyeol tuts. “Better keep yourself healthy, Dr. Soo. You get us worried.”

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile at them. “The both of you, and Suho too.” He chuckles. “Really. What have I done in my past life to deserve such worrywarts looking after me?”

“It’s not really what you’ve done in your past life, doctor. You look after people even in this life.” Jongdae suddenly pipes up from behind him, grinning when Kyungsoo flinches in surprise. “So much so you forget yourself. But that’s what we’re here for.” He continues, sitting across the two nurses who wave at him merrily when he does.

“And Jongdae as well, of course.” He murmurs. Kyungsoo suddenly feels self-conscious when he realizes just how much people care about his well-being, and his heart only answers with a painful squeeze when he recalls another set of people who used to be the same, in the other life he’d thoughtlessly left behind. People like the one who he was seeking after, which was exactly why he had ended up in the cafeteria in the first place.  He clears his throat. “Do any of you have any idea where Kim Jongin’s watcher is?”

Chanyeol points to a few tables away. “He’s over there, like he almost always is, talking with Dr. Zhang’s nephew.”

Kyungsoo starts in surprise, considering that he hadn’t pegged both Sehun and Zitao to be much of social creatures, much less with each other. But Chanyeol’s right, as when he looks up he sees the two chatting amiably with each other.

“Oh. I need to talk to him. If you’ll excuse me.” He says. “You three watch your break time, okay?” he calls out behind him, and he gets three thumbs-ups in reply.

Kyungsoo sighs and nervously plays with the box he’s holding in his hands. When Zitao sees him, he gives a polite smile and nod. “Hello, Dr. Kyungsoo.”

He smiles in return. “Hello, Tao.”

Sehun turns to look at him and narrows his eyes. “What are you doing here?” Tao looks mildly surprised at the tone Sehun uses.

“I just wanted to speak with you.” Kyungsoo answers. Zitao looks at something behind him and perks up before he excuses himself and walks over to the table Kyungsoo had just come from, Baekhyun winking at him conspiratorially when he looks back in surprise.

Sehun’s eyes widen just a fraction. “Is he okay?”

“Is who o-, oh. Yes, he is.” Kyungsoo replies. “May I sit?” he asks, expecting a blunt no, so he’s very much surprised when Sehun nods slowly. He sits before the other boy has a chance to change his mind. He also shoves the lunch box in Sehun’s direction hastily while he was at it.

Sehun looks at him, confused. “What’s this?”

“Uh, food?” Kyungsoo answers weakly.

“I can see that,” Sehun replies testily. “What is this for? Because if this is you trying to buy back my friendship I swear to-.”

“No.” Kyungsoo cuts him off. “I’m not. It’s just that Dr. Gongchan mentioned that you haven’t been eating properly lately and that…” he trails off.

Sehun huffs. “And you think I need this because?”

“Because you can’t keep on starving yourself. You need to keep yourself healthy if you insist so much on taking care of Ka- Jongin.” He answers stubbornly.

“I can buy my food, thank you,” Sehun responds, irritated.

“Not when you’re saving all you can for the bills. Just because I left doesn’t mean I don’t remember these things. I know you’re not going to ask for help from his parents.” Kyungsoo sighs in exasperation. “I’m not trying to buy back your friendship, but I still care about you, okay? I’m not doing this so that you’ll return the sentiment. Think of it as me looking out for a patient’s nutritionally compromised watcher. Whatever. Just eat.” He stands and leaves the cafeteria in a huff, trying not to visibly sag in relief when Sehun picks up the chopsticks and pokes the lunchbox tentatively.

--

It becomes routine, after a while. Kyungsoo drops off food for Sehun either in Jongin’s room or at the cafeteria, wherever he ends up finding the younger. They don’t speak, but Sehun begrudgingly accepts and eats it.

If Jongin thinks that something is off, he doesn’t comment on it. He still has lapses in memory and coherence now and then, characteristic of post-traumatic amnesia, but mostly it’s just the dissociative amnesia that befuddles him.

Sehun still glares at Kyungsoo, but sometimes he doesn’t even bother and just ignores him whenever he comes in with Dr. Zhang or Dr. Gongchan now and then.

--

One day, when Kyungsoo drops by alone to give Sehun yet another packed lunch, Jongin speaks up. “Doctor.”

“Yes?” Kyungsoo asks, surprised. Kai barely acknowledged him during such instances.

“Have we met before? You seem familiar. Your voice, I think… Nevermind.”

Kyungsoo looks at Sehun in surprise then and sees the expression on his face. For the first time in a long while, the other boy was looking at him with something other than anger. Sehun rarely shows what was on his mind on his face, as he has perfected the art of always having a passive face, but now he looks positively upset. He turns his face away from Kyungsoo and mumbles something about getting cof

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter