Disappointment

Boys, Boys, Boys II: Boy vs. Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uECGUVGgQ

G.Na: I miss you already

-----------------------------------------------------

There was less than a month left of school left. 

Finals were coming up, and after those arduous exams, Yoonjung would be able to go home and finally see her father. 

She had missed him so much, and not to mention, she was longing to be reunited with Janggeun, too. She was hoping Bambam, Jackson, and Yugyeom would be able to drop by during winter break. She was hoping to see JB a lot more, too, but she deep down, she knew it was unfeasible. His training schedule was hectic now, and he was even busier than before. They had only talked on the phone once this week, and that had been for three and a half minutes before he had to go back to dance practice.

Yoonjung’s eyelids kept drooping. It was nearing one in the morning, and she was still holed up in the library studying for final exams. The loud vibration of her phone on the desk startled her awake. It’s JB! Yoonjung grabbed her phone and quietly snuck out into the stairway. She answered, “Hello?” 

“I didn’t think you would really pick up. How come you’re still awake?” 

“I’m studying.”

“Oh. Why are you whispering?” 

“I’m at the library,” Yoonjung giggled. “But,” she stopped whispering. “No one else is here anyways.” 

“You should go back before it gets any lighter. Pack up your things. I’ll talk with you on your way back to your dorm,” JB said. 

“Okay, I’ll call you after I leave the library.” Yoonjung went back in, hastily packed up, and ran out of the library. She called JB right away and anxiously waited for him to pick up. She was afraid he had gone back to practicing. 

“Hello?” When JB answered, she sighed in relief. “I’m heading to the dorms.” 

“It’s too late, Yoonjung. From now on, study with a friend- a female one- or go back earlier. I won’t be able to focus if I think you’re out too late.” 

“Okay, father,” Yoonjung teased. 

“I’m worried about you. That’s not bad, right?” 

“Of course not. It means you care, and I appreciate it.” She beamed.

“I haven’t been able to contact you lately. I’m sorry about that,” JB apologized. 

“It’s okay,” Yoonjung assured. “I know how busy you can get. It’s nothing new.”

“I can hang out this weekend,” he blurted. She blinked in surprise. “You can? Really?”

“Yeah,” JB answered. “I should have some time this Sunday. Do you want to meet?”

Her lips curled upwards into a big smile. She did have a study group, but she could cancel just for this one time. It was rare that JB would make time for her. “Yes! Let’s meet!” 

JB chuckled, “Okay, we’ll have dinner and movie together. Is that okay?”

“Yes.” Yoonjung beamed. “See you on Sunday.”

“See you. Love you, Yoonjung.” 

“Love you, too,” she crooned before hanging up. Now she had something to look forward to this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9tezijZV8

G.Na: Without You

--------------------------------

Sunday night, Yoonjung arrived half an hour before the meeting time. She was just too excited to stay at her dorm and wait. She wanted to meet JB as soon as she can.

Yoonjung smoothed her hair and smiled happily. 

‘I’m here already. Take your time. Love you.’ 

She pressed her phone in her hands and waited for JB to arrive.

It was five o’clock already, but JB didn’t show up. He can be a little late. I can wait.

 Ten minutes passed. Then twenty. When thirty minutes passed by, she started to become worried.

 Did something happen? He couldn’t have forgotten, could he? No, that’s not like JB. 

Yoonjung texted him again. ‘JB, where are you? Did something happen? I’ll still be here, so if you’re coming, don’t worry about me.’ She started to pace up and down the street. She got on the tips of her toes and craned her neck to search for him among the crowd. There were many males there, but none of them was JB.

Yoonjung deflated with a disappointed sigh. “He’ll be here soon. Don’t worry. He’ll never forget about you.”

Thirty minutes turned into an hour, and she started to become more frustrated than worried. She tried calling him, but he wasn’t answering. She sent another text message. There was no reply at all.

Yoonjung plunked down on the concrete surrounding the water fountain and wrapped her arms around her thin self. I should have worn something thicker. She looked down at her outfit and grimaced.

To impress JB, she had worn a new skirt she had just bought last week.

She hoped she wouldn’t catch a cold.

Studying while sick wasn’t fun at all.

Yoonjung clasped her hands together and whispered, “Please hurry up and come, JB.”

Mark didn’t know how he had been dragged out for a night out with some members of the Law Society. He resolved to stop being so influenced by his roommate who was so persuasive with his words. He’ll be one heck of a lawyer, Mark thought with a glance at Stephen who was busy chatting up a girl.

Mark sighed and shook his head with pity. He’s been rejected by three girls already. Does he really want to keep flirting with girls who don’t like him? Then again…he’s braver than I am. I can’t even flirt with the girl I love…the one I’ve been in love with for years…who already has a boyfriend? What am I doing with my life? He sighed once more, bringing Byul’s attention to him.

“Why the sigh? Worried about finals?”

“Something like that,” Mark mumbled under his breath.

Byul asked, “Are you excited for winter break?”

“Yeah,” he replied.

“Really?” She chortled, “You sure hide your excitement well.”

He said nothing to that as he checked his phone for any messages.

“Mark, do you have a girlfriend?” At Byul’s straightforward question, he stared at her.

“Do you?” Byul blinked innocently. “No,” Mark replied honestly.

Her eyes sparked a little at that. “Then…do you have a girl you like?”

He looked away from her with a hint of annoyance. “I don’t know why I have to answer that.”

Byul watched him shuffle away and grew a teensy bit disheartened. So he does have a girl in mind. 

Mark blew hot air over his closed fists that were turning red due to the cold weather. Winter really is coming. I should wear gloves now- 

He remembered how Yoonjung always forgot her gloves. He would have to give his to her all the time to prevent her from getting frostbite. I wonder if she’s as cold as I am. If she is, she shouldn’t forget to wear gloves. Knowing her, she will though. 

Simple curiosity turned to overwhelming concern.

Mark looked up with a sigh. He tilted his head a little with a thoughtful expression. 

That girl sitting there almost looks like Yoonjung. Why would Yoonjung be here though? 

Mark started to leave when the girl turned her face a little in his direction. He did a double take and froze.

Disbelief shadowed his face. It really IS Yoonjung. 

Without thinking twice, Mark headed towrads her. His body moved before his heart, but his heart quickly caught up when he realized she was shivering.

Mark put a hand on her shoulder.

Yoonjung swiveled her head around with hope. Her face fell when she saw it wasn’t JB, but a smile came on her face right away. “M-M-Mark. F-Fancy s-seeing you here.”

“Are you crazy? Why are you out here sitting by yourself in this weather without a jacket on? Are you trying to get sick?” Mark didn’t mean to sound angry, but he was too worried.

“I-I was waiting for JB, but h-he’s not h-here yet.”

“When was he supposed to meet you?”

“A-At five?” Mark checked his watch and balked. It was half past nine now. “It’s been four and a half hours, Yoonjung,” Mark hissed. “Hasn’t JB contacted you?!”

Yoonjung shook her head. 

Damn bastard. How can you not take care of your girl? 

“H-He’s probably o-on his way. You go and do your thing. Don’t w-worry,” Yoonjung reassured.

 How can I not when you’re freezing to death? Mark pulled his jacket off and immediately enveloped it around her shoulders. “Let’s go.”

“But JB-“

“JB is ing old enough to call you,” Mark snapped. Surprise crossed her face. It had been a while since she had seen him so infuriated. His voie softened just a little. “We’re going in somewhere warm and waiting for JB. He’ll call you when he’s here.” He put an arm around her and guided her towards the nearest café.

From afar, Byul had been watching the whole scene. She had never seen him with so many emotions before, so it was surprising to see him treat a girl that way.

She put two and two together. Being a law student, she was quick to pick up things. 

That’s her, isn’t it, Mark Tuan? 

Stephen came back and looked around. “Where’s Mark?”

“He…had something to do. Where are the others? Let’s go.” Byul left with him.

Yoonjung buried herself under Mark’s jacket and rubbed her frozen hands together.

“Here. Drink this.” Mark came back with hot drinks. He placed her hands around the warm cup, and she thanked him. He sat in front of her and sighed, “You’re impossible. If he’s not coming till not, you should just leave. Why are you being so stupid?”

“Because I know JB. He’ll come. He’s just a little late,” Yoonjung defended.

 Four and a half hours isn’t little, you fool, Mark thought. “Wait here.” He left the café and went to the nearest apparel store. He saw a jacket along with leggings, mittens, and a scarf and asked the worker for those. Mark jogged back to the café and gave Yoonjung the clothes. “Go change.”

“Oh my gosh, Mark Tuan. Do you have a habit of buying me clothes? You bought me a jacket at the winter ski trip last year, remember?”

“I have a habit of buying you clothes when you’re not wearing enough. Now go and change.”

“But-“

“You want me to help you?” Mark narrowed his eyes at her.

“Okay, fine. Gosh. So pushy,” Yoonjung muttered before grabbing the bag and shuffling towards the restroom.

While she changed, Mark tried to contact JB. JB wasn’t picking up his calls either. You better have a good excuse for this, like an accident or something. You better have two broken thumbs as a reason for not texting her and making her wait like this. 

Mark texted him instead. ‘Where are you? Yoonjung is waiting for you still. Hurry up. Don’t make her wait anymore.’ 

He almost cursed but held back.

“I’m back…and I’m much warmer. Thanks.” Yoonjung sat down with a smile. Her cheeks were starting to grow rosy again. “What were you doing here anyways?”

“I was out…”

“With some friends? You should go back then.”

“It’s not important. I was done anyways.” Mark shrugged.

“You’re such a good friend,” Yoonjung chortled. 

And that’s all I’ll ever be to you… Mark shook off the depressing feelings. “Let’s go. I’ll take you back.”

“No, I’m going to wait for JB,” Yoonjung said. Mark gawped at her. “Still?!”

“He might come. I don’t want to cross paths with him.”

“You’re nuts.”

“I’m fine now. I drank something warm, and now, I’m wearing warm clothes.” Yoonjung smiled and showed off her mittens.

Mark frowned. He wasn’t too happy about her waiting for JB who, in his opinion, would never come.

They left the café together. She faced him and waved. “Thanks for everything, Mark. I’ll call you later.”

Mark watched her head towards the water fountain. The sight of her just sitting there and waiting endlessly made his heart ache. She reminds me of me right now…waiting for someone who’ll never come. 

Mark couldn’t bear leave her. He was going to hate himself later on for being so stupid, but he couldn’t just go without her. Yoonjung felt someone sitting by her. Her eyes widened. “Mark…”

“I’ll wait with you,” he murmured. "When JB comes...I'll go."

 

Yoonjung smiled softly. “You’re such a softie.”

Mark turned away with red ears.

“Thanks, Mark. You’re the best.” She squeezed his arm. He looked at her and whispered, “You’re so stubborn.”

Yoonjung chuckled, “One day, Mark Tuan, when you fall in love like me, you’ll understand that waiting isn’t a problem for the one you love.”

Mark softened. I know what you mean…perhaps better than you. I’m used to waiting by now.

 They waited for another hour, and yet, there was no news of JB. There were less and less people at the outdoor plaza now. Mark called JB, but there was no answer again. He hung up with a soft, angry sigh and put his phone back in his pocket. He looked at Yoonjung. There was obvious distress on her face, and her shoulders were heavy with disappointment.

“Let’s go,” Mark said softly. “I’ll take you back to school.”

Yoonjung surrendered and left with him. They got off the bus and walked silently to her dormitory. Once they reached the building, she faced him with a forced smile. “Thanks, Mark. If it wasn’t for you today…just…thanks.”

Mark reached out to touch her cheek but forced himself to stop. He curled his finges into a fist and put it back in his pocket. “Take a warm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter