The one I can rely on

Boys, Boys, Boys II: Boy vs. Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eL3lKPVq-0

G.NA: I'll get lost

-------------------------------

“Hey. Yoonjung?”

Yoonjung snapped out of her thoughts and looked up from her book. “Huh?”

“Someone is calling you,” Dajung notified gently. “I think it’s your dad. Again.”

Yoonjung looked down at her phone that was vibrating on top of her backpack. Her expression that had been void of emotions for the past hour or so now turned perplexed and uneasy. A week had passed ever since she had found out her father had been dating behind her back. It had also been a week since the huge fight she had had with JB. She had been in touch with Mark, but she had ignored JB’s calls, just like how she had been ignoring her father’s calls.

The two most trustworthy men in her life had suddenly become the two people she wanted to avoid the most.

“Aren’t you…going to answer?” Dajung asked.

The phone stopped ringing, and the room fell silent. “…I’ll call him back later.”

Both of them knew it was an empty promise.

Dajung closed her own textbook. “Hey, neither of us could get our work done. We’ve been in the dormitory the entire day. Let’s go out and get some fresh air. You’re hungry, right? Inna told me that the new café that is next to the cafetaria is finally open. Let’s try it out. My treat.”

Yoonjung appreciated the fact that Dajung was trying to subtly make her feel better. The distraction worked, and she smiled warmly. “You know what? I think that’s a good idea.” She closed her book.

Dajung smiled and grabbed her wallet. Yoonjung followed her to the door. “Thanks, Dajung.”

“No problem. What are friends for?” Dajung hooked her arm around Yoonjung’s right one.

Chatting and giggling, they let the dormitory building.

“Yoonjung,” someone called. They halted abruptly.

Dajung’s eyes widened, and her gaze slid over to Yoonjung who looked equally bewildered. “Oh…um…”

I can’t believe he’s here. It’s so weird how he never shows up until now when we’re fighting. What happened to coming to see me during the good times?

Yoonjung stared at JB with a mix of disappointment and disgust.

“Um…” Dajung dropped her grip on Yoonjung. “We can go to the café next time-“

“No.”

“…No?”

“Go to the café first. I’ll be there soon,” Yoonjung assured.

“Are you sure?” Dajung glanced at JB and swallowed hard.

Yoonjung nodded and gave her a small smile. “Yeah, go ahead.”

“All right then.” Dajung left first.

Yoonjung looked at JB, and her smile slid right off her face.

“I called you. Why didn’t you answer?”

Isn’t it obvious? I didn’t answer because I didn’t want to talk to you, she wanted to say that out loud but didn’t.

“Are you still upset?” JB sighed. Yoonjung gave him a cold look. “Still?”

“I said sorry, didn’t I?” He pointed out. If she was upset before, she was furious now.

Yoonjung threw her arms up in the air. “There you go again. You think a simple half- apology is going to work again!”

“Yoonjung-ah…” JB moved closer to her.

“No! Stop!” Yoonjung stepped back and put out a palm with a vexed expression. “Just stop.”

They stared at each other wordlessly for a few tense seconds.

“…I don’t know what you want me to do,” JB whispered miserably. Yoonjung felt her eyes prickle with tears. Just an year ago, she had never thought they would become like this. Her best friend JB was long gone now, and she was now on the edge of losing her boyfriend. She couldn’t see the boy she had fallen in love with in him any longer.

“I wish…you could tell me things…like you did before,” JB whispered. Me, too.

“I wish…you could count on me to help you.” Me, too.

“I wish…you wouldn’t use Mark the way you used me.” What? Use? Yoonjung looked up.

JB wasn’t apologizing. He wasn’t ashamed or guilty. In fact, he was downright pissed off. “I can’t stand the fact that you’re getting closer to him.”

“Are you bringing up Mark again?”

“See! This is exactly how I feel when you keep talking about how I’m too busy because of my training!”

“It’s not the same thing! You can’t compare those two.”

“So you have a reason to get mad at me, but I don’t? If you do, it’s always the right thing, and if it’s me, it’s always the wrong thing?” JB accused.

Yoonjung lifted up her hands in frustration and clenche them into tight fists. “Don’t. Put. Words. Into. My. Mouth.”

JB exhaled irritably and looked away from her.

Yoonjung slowly breathed out and calmly spoke, “I don’t know what you have against Mark, but you should try to resolve things with him-“

“I can’t.”

“Why not? Why do you suddenly hate him so much?”

“I have my reason.”

“And what is that reason?” Yoonjung demanded. JB didn’t reply.

She raised her voice sharply, “What is it, JB?”

“MARK IS IN LOVE WITH YOU,” JB exploded.

Yoonjung balked. “W…What?”

“Mark is in love with you. He think of you the way I think of you. He doesn’t see you as a buddy he can do homework with anymore. He sees you as someone he wants to kiss and hold. No…he might have felt that a long time ago.” I was too dense to realize how much of a threat he could be, JB blamed himself.

“So now is my reason to be angry just as good as yours? Do I now have a legitimate reason to hate Mark?”

“That…” Yoonjung started to shake her head. “That’s impossible. No, you’re wrong. Mark doesn’t like me that way. Mark…never changed the way he acted around me. He always cared for me.”

JB softened. “Then my second theory is right. He never saw you as just a friend in the first place.”

Mark…was in love with me before JB was? Yoonjung was speechless and shocked.

JB gripped onto her shoulders and forced her to meet his eyes.  He was frantic and desperate. “That’s why I want you to stay away from Mark. He’s going to steal you from me, Yoonjung. Don’t you get it? He’s waiting to take my place.”

Yoonjung snapped out of her daze. She assured, “He’s not going to take your place. He’s not like that-“

“You don’t know him like I do!”

“No. You don’t know him like I do,” Yoonjung declared.

JB dropped his hands by his sides. He stepped back, ran his fingers through his hair, and smirked in disbelief. “So even now…you’re going to be on his side?”

“This isn’t about sides. This isn’t even about Mark at all. It’s about you and me. We had a problem before this issue with Mark occurred. You’re the one who’s using him. You’re using Mark as an excuse that we’re growing apart, but you and I both know that’s NOT true,” she acknowledged.

JB shook his head. “I ditched practice and came all the way here…to hear you defending Mark?”

Yoonjung’s expression saddened. “…I wish you could have ditched practice and came all the way here…just to see me.”

It registered to JB that she might be right, and he softened. Yet, he was too angry and upset to forgive her, so instead of saying anything else, he turned and walked away from her.

Yoonjung wiped her tears away from her face. When did you and I grow so far apart? I feel like we’re growing more and more apart with each and every day. Is this really my fault as you say? Her phone rang, and she saw the text message from Dajung.

‘Are you all right? Should I come back?’

‘No. Stay right there. I’m coming.’ Yoonjung started walking towards the café.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUVuCtjMrk

Baek A Yeon: so-so

-----------------------------

Three days later, Jr. invited everyone to catch up and watch a movie.

“Snow White, over here!” He smiled warmly and waved.

Yoonjung smiled, waved back, and hurried towards him. “Looks like I’m the first one here.”

“Yup.” Jr. grinned as he squeezed her closely. “How about we ditch the others and go ahead?”

Yoonjung laughed, “I’d say yes, but Youngjae is going to throw a fit.”

“It won’t be as bad as Jackson’s tantrums. I’m glad he’s not here,” Jr. joked. He looked around. “Let’s see who’ll arrive next. Mark? Youngjae? JB?”

At the last name, her smile faded. “You…invited JB, too?”

“Yup. I bet Mark will come first,” Jr. said gleefully.

Yoonjung looked down at the floor. She didn’t know how she would react when she saw JB. For sure, she wouldn’t be able to throw herself into his arms like old times. Everyone would know something was wrong, and the day would be ruined.

“Ha! See? I was right,” Jr. said. Yoonjung looked up as Mark entered the building.

Jr. waved, and Mark waved back. “I bet you would come first,” Jr said as he shook Mark’s hand.

“It was a safe choice.” Mark shrugged, and Jr. laughed.

Mark looked at Yoonjung and greeted her. Yoonjung smiled warmly and nodded. “You came.”

“And so did I!” Youngjae appeared out of nowhere from behind them.

“You scared me!” They all complained.

Youngjae grinned. “That was my goal. Success!” He looked around. “Where’s JB?”

Mark saw Yoonjung uncomfortably looking away at the mention of his name.

Jr. checked his phone. “Ah, Mr. Superstar is still practicing. He’ll join us later. Let’s go in. I got the tickets already.” He gathered them and guided them into the theater.

 

The movie ended two hours later, and they left the building as they discussed which character they liked best. The four of them came to a popular restaurant that was known for their spicy and cheesy chicken wings. Mark tied Yoonjung’s apron on for her and helped her put on her gloves.

“You’re like Mr.-Glove-Man. I should call you that from now on,” she joked. His lips perked up into a smile as he tied his own apron on.

“Oh, man, I’m starving. I’m going to eat everything up,” Youngjae declared as he patted his gloved hands together.

“Where’s JB? He needs to come before you eat the whole table,” Jr. joked. He called while Yoonjung tensely waited.

Mark was quiet as well.

“He’s not answering,” Jr. said. “Call him, Yoonjung. Maybe he’ll pick up your phone.”

“He’s probably busy. Don’t pressure him,” she said casually.

Jr. stared at her as Youngjae also grew still.

“Besides, he probably won’t be able to make it. He…usually never can.” Her eyes fell onto the floor as she fidgeted uncomfortably in her seat.

“…Is everything okay?” Jr asked softly. Even Youngjae looked concerned. “You didn’t show much of a reaction when he didn’t come for the movie…and you don’t even want to ask if he’ll be here. It’s almost as if…you don’t want him to be here.”

Yoonjung closed her eyes and closed her palms over her knees. She really didn’t want to cry in public. “I…” She took a deep breath and opened her eyes. “It’s fine. A lot has been going on…but I can handle it.”

“You sure?” Youngjae asked. Yoonjung nodded.

Jr. put a hand over hers and gave it a gentle squeeze. “Hey, if you need to talk, we’re here for you.”

“I know,” Yoonjung mumbled appreciatively.

“All right,” Mark started to distract them. “If we’re done eating, let’s go. I thought you had a study date, Youngjae.”

“A date?” Yoonjung teased. Youngjae turned crimson. “It’s not a date! Mark! Look what you did!”

Laughing good-naturedly, they left the restaurant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCJ3mMXVPKU

Jessica: Fly

---------------------------

Youngjae and Jr. left first while Mark and Yoonjung lingered behind.

“Hey.”

“Hmm?”

“Want to play?”

“Play?” She didn’t understand. He nodded at something, and she followed his gaze.

There was an arcade right across the street. “Club Playground took out the arcade games.”

“I know. It’s such a shame.”

“Want to play?”

“Right now? But…we’re in college now-“

“Ther

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter