Broken Promises

Boys, Boys, Boys II: Boy vs. Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy8Sjv-vLr8

Starship: Planet: Snow Candy

-------------------------------

“HURRY UP!”

“COME ON, CANDY!”

“WE’RE WAITING FOR YOU!”

Yoonjung lifted up her gaze to see four boys waving at her from the ice rink. She chuckled and shook her head. She could already tell she was the epitome of envy at the rink.

Single girls were just smitten by her good-looking male friends. It was unbelievable all of them were still single.

Yoonjung bent down to tie the laces of her ice skates but were surprised to find Mark tying them up already.

He’s always one step ahead of me.

Her heart softened as her lips curled upwards into a heartfelt smile. Something warm wrapped around her heart like a cozy fleece blanket, and she squeezed her shoulders near her neck as she enjoyed the sweet feeling.

Mark looked up at her. “You’re safe.” Yoonjung smiled and nodded. “Thanks.”

He got up and helped her stand. Holding hands, they made their way onto the rink.

Jackson immediately stoke her from Mark. “You look like an ice princess, Candy!”

“I should call you Elsa instead of Snow White now,” Jr. joked.

“Nah, I like Snow White. Elsa doesn’t have seven dwarves, but she does,” Yoonjung said with a smile.

“Dwarves?! Excuse me!” Jackson puffed out his chest and flexed his muscles. “Dwarves aren’t tall, handsome, and y like I am.” Youngjae jabbed his stomach, and Jackson doubled over with an audible squeal.

“They don’t squeal like girls either,” Yoonjung joked.

“What did you say?!” Jackson grabbed her wrists like he had handcuffed her. Yoonjung laughed as she wobbled unsteadily.

Mark instantly reached out to balance her. “Quit it,” he snapped at Mark as he pushed Jackson away. “You’ll make her drop.”

“Geez. If anyone else saw, they would misunderstand you as her boyfriend instead of JB,” Jackson said with a pout.

Mark stiffened and said nothing. Any mention of JB caused him to grow tense and flustered. Mark still couldn’t get the image of JB glaring at him on Christmas night when he had caught him kissing a sleeping Yoonjung. Six whole days had passed since the two hadn’t contacted each other, and he had an uneasy feeling that the conflict would only grow from now on. He knew he had to do something about his feelings for Yoonjung before he lost his friendship with JB.

“Are we just going to stand around here? Let’s play!” Bambam whooped and raced forward.

“Come on, Snow White.” Jr. put his hands on her shoulders from behind and guided her forward.

“You should spin in the air for us again!” Bambam said excitedly, “Remember last year you spun in the air at the ice rink up at the resort for our senior winter trip?”

“Oh my gosh,” Jackson dramatically drawled out with a roll of his eyes. “Don’t even mention that. Stupid SM. Stupid Exo.”

“From what I remember, you grew quite close to them,” Yoonjung teased.

“No! It was Bambam who went with D.O to shop, remember? Did you guys get your nails done, too?” Jackson jeered.

Bambam huffed, “Meanie.”

Jackson guffawed while Yoonjung shook her head with a smile.

“Come on! Do one of your fancy moves,” Bambam begged. “Jackson goes in a couple days, and I leave soon, too. The least you can do is this. Please?” “Wow,”

Jr. chuckled. “Way to blackmail her. You got guts, bro.”

“Fine,” Yoonjung sighed. “But if I get kicked out of the rink, I’m dragging you out with me.”

“Deal!” Bambam beamed. “We’ll all leave with you, Snow White,” Jr. promised.

Yoonjung slid a few feet forward before looking back at her “fans” who encouragingly rooted for her. She held her breath before smoothly skating forward. Then she jumped into the air and did an elegant spin before landing effortlessly on the ice. Everyone, including her friends, cheered for her. Yoonjung blushed and covered her face. She hadn’t expected such a huge audience to witness her. Her friends skated towards her and enveloped her in a sweet hug.

Mark lingered back and watched them embrace one another. He had to make sure his heart rate was normal before he went to join them. Anyone who felt his pulse would realize what a love-struck fool he was. It wouldn’t be long until his feelings would be caught.

“I want some hot chocolate now,” Bambam said.

“That sounds bomb right now,” Youngjae agreed.

“You guys order. I’ll go get some chocolate crossaints.” Jr. said.

“I need to pee,” Jackson said out loud, causing them to grow embarrassed and question his boldness.

Everyone started to head off the rink, but Jackson told Yoonjung to stay back with Mark. “No need for all of us to go.”

Mark looked at Yoonjung who smiled back. “Race you around the rink.”

Mark raised an eyebrow. “Is that a challenge?”

“Why? Scared you’ll lose?” Yoonjung shrugged. “I understand. I mean, I am pretty pro when it comes to skating.”

Mark crossed his arms. “What’s in it for the winner?”

Yoonjung pointed towards the second floor. “I know they sell cotton candy upstairs. Loser goes buy it for the winner.”

“I don’t even like cotton candy,” Mark huffed.

“Too bad! I do! Ready, go!” Yoonjung skated away.

Baffled, Mark watched her throw her head back and laugh. “Cheater!” He raced after her. She looked back and yelped when she saw him almost catch up to her. Mark caught her coat and gently tugged her back. He swept past her and skated backwards while laughing at her falling behind.

“Hey! Oh my gosh, Mark Tuan! You cheater!”

“Says the one who didn’t start the race properly,” he scoffed. She smirked with determination and skated swiftly towards him. She zipped past him, but he wasn’t the one to lose easily either. When he was about to pass her, she grabbed the back of his hood and yanked it over his eyes.

“Hey!” Mark spun around and almost fell. Yoonjung moved too fast and almost plummeted to the ice herself.

Mark was quick enough to catch her by her wrist. She went swinging into him and he had to place a hand over her waist to steady her. She looked up and froze when she saw they were nose to nose. His lips slightly parted in surprise, and her own jaw slung open. Never had they been so close before. He was so close that she could feel his body heat radiating from under his sweater.

Her heart did a mad flip flop in his chest, and she suddenly felt like the world was spinning her around on top of a fluffy, white cloud.

Mark gazed down at her with a soft gleam in his eyes. He was mentally scolding himself to let her go, but he couldn’t find himself to move at all. For once, he was being selfish as he gripped tighter onto her. He felt something on her wrist and swept his gaze towards it. He was surprised that she was wearing the red mystical love bracelet he had gifted her last year on White Day.

“When you find the right person for you, the bracelet will fall off on its own.”

The bracelet isn’t working. She has JB, but the bracelet isn’t coming off yet. I never believed in that thing anyways.

The moment was interrupted by Mark’s phone ringing. Mark held onto her wrist while he answered, “Hello? You got the food? Okay, we’ll be there.” He hung up and looked at her. “They got the food.”

“Oh. Okay…” Yoonjung dropped her gaze with flushed cheeks. Mark looked at her wrist that was still tightly bound by his hand. The image of JB seething at him forced him to drop her hand like it was on fire or something. “Let’s go,” he mumbled before skating away. She gave him a confused look but caught up with him.

Mark glanced at her hands and realized they were bare without any protection. And he knew very well how cold her hands could get.

“Hey,” he called.

Yoonjung paused and looked back. Mark faced her and took off his gloves. “You should really remember to bring your mittens.”

“Oh…” Yoonjung looked down at her hands as Mark slipped them into his gloves. He gave her a look before skating away first. She rubbed her warmed up hands and followed him.

“Hey, Snow White! Come and sit here.” Jr. patted the seat beside him.

Yoonjung sat down and Bambam gave her a hot chocolate.

“The pastries are really good,” Youngjae said as he ate his third one already.

Yoonjung picked up a small scone and held it up to Mark’s mouth.

Mark blinked in surprise but bent down and tentatively opened his mouth.

She popped the scone gently into his mouth and the cream off her fingers.

“I’m so jealous,” Jackson whined softly.

“What? Why?” Youngjae gave him a confused look.

“Because it seems as if Mark and Yoonjung got closer. She used to be closer to me! And now look! They’re like a secret rendezvous couple!” Jackson pointed at them. “Why? Yoonjung, you used to love me better! Mark was always last place!”

“He was not,” she scoffed. He gasped, “But I am?”

“I didn’t say that!” Yoonjung slapped her palms over her face.

Mark shoved a pastry into Jackson’s mouth. “Just shut your mouth for once.”

Jackson scowled and angrily chomped on his food.

After eating, the six of them went outside where people were waiting for the New Year to ring in.

Bambam slung his arm over her neck and rested his head against hers. “I’m so glad to spend winter break with you, Jungie Jungie. I missed you lots, you know? There are plenty of girls in Thailand, but none of them shine to me like you do. You’re one of a kind, and JB is the luckiest guy to have you as both his best friend and girlfriend.”

“Aww, Bambam, you’re so sweet.” Yoonjung hugged his waist and snuggled against him. “I’m proud to have such a great friend like you. If you need any help getting a girl, you just ask me, and I’ll be your personal cupid.”

Bambam grinned. “I’ll hold you to that.”

“Let’s take a photo!” Jackson held up his selfie stick and grew flabbergasted to see someone was missing. “Where’s Mark?!”

Jr. looked around. “Restroom maybe?”

Yoonjung frowned. Realizing that Mark was gone perplexed her more than usual. She started to grow apprehensive and searched the patio for him. “Should I go look for him inside?”

“Look for who?” A voice asked by her side.

Startled, Yoonjung jumped a little. When she saw Mark next to her, she released a loud sigh of relief. “There you are. All of us were looking for you. Why didn’t you tell us you were going somewhere?!”

“I just went to buy this.” Mark held out a fluffy sky blue cotton candy.

Yoonjung’s eyes grew wide. “You…you actually bought this?”

Mark shrugged. “It was right there.”

“But…I didn’t win,” she said meekly.

“You almost did.” He placed the cotton candy in her hand.

Yoonjung softened. She didn’t know why she felt like crying. He always did touching things for her, and she didn’t know how to thank him for always being with her. It’s so strange how I’m starting to notice these things now. I feel like Mark took JB’s place in the sense that Mark is my “bestest” friend now.

“Hey…” Mark tilted his head to study her face and softened. “You crying?”

“N-No,” Yoonjung panicked.

Mark gave her a tender smile. “I think you are.” He reached out and gently swiped a stray tear below her eye. “Who cries because of cotton candy? You’re so silly, Yoonjung.”

“I am,” Yoonjung laughed.

“Oh! Cotton candy!” Jackson reached for it, but Mark slapped his hands away. “That’s for Yoonjung.”

“Oh my stress! How stingy are you? Why couldn’t you buy five more?” Jackson looked unhappy.

“I can share with you,” Yoonjung assured with a chuckle.

“Forget the cotton candy! The countdown starts now!” Youngjae announced.

“Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two! One! Happy New Year!”

Fireworks exploded in the air. Couples kissed and everyone took pictures.

Yoonjung received tight hugs from all her friends. She felt loved, but a part of her heart felt empty. She realized JB hadn’t kept his promise to always remain by her side. My first new year without JB after knowing him. It would’ve been our first new year as a couple. I wonder how he’s doing right now…

“Gather around for photo time!” Jackson grinned. “And say Snow White!”

Yoonjung laughed as the boys around her sang, “Snow White!”

 

JB heard the fireworks and looked out the window of his practice room. It was midnight, and the new year had come. He sighed heavily with disappointment. I couldn’t greet the new year with Yoonjung this year. I hope she isn’t too upset with me. I’ll have to make it up to her…when I have the time. His phone buzzed in the pocket of his sweatpants.

‘You’re missing out, bro! Happy New Year!’ –Jackson.

JB opened up the photos he had sent and smiled. There were a few candid photos of Yoonjung ice skating. His smile slowly started to fade when he realized Mark was almost always beside her.

Anger and regret boiled inside him. That’s my spot right there. I should have been there for her. Not you.

In the last group photo, JB looked at Mark and felt more hurt than a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter