Vacation for Six

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Baekhyun woke up at 7, he found Chanyeol asleep on the living room couch. His homework papers were scattered all over the floor while an open book rested on his chest. He must've fallen asleep while reading.

Although they had class in a couple hours, Baekhyun couldn't fathom the idea of waking Chanyeol up anytime soon. So, he simply didn't. 

Instead, he took out his phone and sent a text to three different people. Jongdae, Jongin, and Sehun.

Baekhyun believed Chanyeol was more than deserving of a day off so he needed help to ensure Chanyeol had the most peaceful day off as possible. His friends texted back immediately, agreeing to help him with the task.

Satisfied with the plans for the day, the 22 year old yawned when he made his way into the kitchen for breakfast. He was pretty tired himself but not nearly as tired as Chanyeol. Who knew what the younger had been up to all night last night? Who knew why he stumbled in at 1 in the morning? 

Baekhyun surely didn't know but he would do his best to find out. One way or another.

He opened the cupboards and took out a box of cereal. Then he retrieved a half empty half gallon of milk from the fridge. After careful measurement of both the cereal and milk, he concluded there would be enough for himself, enough for Mina, and enough for Chanyeol as well.

He sat down by himself to eat and was halfway through his breakfast when Mina made her way into the kitchen, rubbing sleep from her eyes and yawning. 

A look of confusion passed over her features when she realized Baekhyun was making no effort to get ready. In fact, he was still in his pajamas from the night before. Although she was too young to tell time, she knew that it was unusual for her mother to let her sleep so long without waking her up.

"Am I not going to daycare?" She asked.

Baekhyun smiled and shook his head. "Your daddy's had a long night. I think we could all use a day off anyway."

"What are we gonna do all day?" She asked curiously. She wasn't the type of kid who enjoyed staying in all day and doing nothing.

Baekhyun could safely say he didn't enjoy doing nothing either. 

"Don't worry. We'll find something fun to do when daddy wakes up. But until then, we have to be quiet and let him sleep as long as he needs to." Baekhyun gestured towards Chanyeol who didn't seem to be waking up or getting up from that couch any time soon.

Mina nodded to show that she understood. 

For the entire morning, she and Baekhyun kept themselves occupied until Chanyeol awoke. They made a quiet game of cleaning up the apartment, seeing who could do their share the fastest. After cleaning, they watched television in Chanyeol and Baekhyun's bedroom. 

Mina was more than happy to be invited into her parents' bed while Baekhyun was happy to get a chance to relax and an opportunity to continue texting his friends.

When Chanyeol finally did wake up at noon, he seemed really upset and/or pissed off. Well, he forced himself to smile and be happy when he greeted Mina but his eyes said an entirely different story when he glared at Baekhyun. 

"Mina go pick your clothes out, please." Baekhyun said after his eyes met Chanyeol's. 

Mina whined, not wanting to leave the warm comfort of her parents' bed, but she did anyway. 

Once she was safely out of earshot, Chanyeol spoke, "What the hell, Baekhyun?"

The older man sat up in bed as Chanyeol ran a hand through his thick messy hair. 

"What's wrong?" He asked calmly. 

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Chanyeol exclaimed as he hurriedly began to change his clothes, hoping to not miss school entirely. "I've already missed two ing classes."

"So have I." Baekhyun responded. "But I thought you needed a day off so I let you sleep in."

"That's not for you to decide." Chanyeol sighed in annoyance, already thinking of everything he had missed in class.

"Chanyeol, ever since Mina was born, all you've done is work, study, and lose sleep. It's been 4 years already, take a break, please. Class can wait for a day. Work can wait."

"I can't afford to take a break! The water isn't going to come on by itself, you know? The lights aren't just going to stay on by magic. You know that." Chanyeol raised his voice in frustration and Baekhyun took in a deep breath. 

"Fine. But will you take the day off from classes? You can still go to work tonight."

Chanyeol sighed. "Baekhyun-"

"Please. I told Mina we'd have fun together."

Chanyeol was prepared to stand his ground and argue, pointing out the fact that they had the weekends to spend together. But the weekends usually consisted of him and Baekhyun working out how they would survive the next week with whatever money they had.

That could hardly be considered "fun" or "family time."

When Baekhyun pleaded with his adorable eyes, Chanyeol finally gave in.

"Okay. Just for today we can skip classes and do something fun."

"Yes!" Baekhyun climbed out of bed and rewarded Chanyeol with a happy kiss. The tall man quickly kissed back. In that moment, kissing Baekhyun made Chanyeol feel like a normal 22 year old for a change. He felt carefree and he felt young. Temporarily forgetting about the stress of working and being a young parent, he deepened the kiss, hungry for something more.

Baekhyun kissed back with the same intensity but wound up being the one to break the kiss. 

They were both a little bit out of breath but a lot bit . It was only natural they felt that way since they were young adults and severely deprived. They traded their life for Mina, it was beginning to catch up with them.

"Maybe later." Baekhyun said, hand resting on Chanyeol's chest after gently pushing him away. 

Chanyeol's lips were moist and slightly parted. He groaned. There was usually no "later." He didn't expect that night to be any different. 

While Baekhyun got dressed, Chanyeol went off to help Mina get dressed because he was afraid that if he saw his older boyfriend get undressed, he would pounce on him. He felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

Once they were all dressed and ready, Chanyeol finally asked the burning question on his mind.

"Baekhyun?"

"Hm?"

"What exactly are we doing today?"

"Um. I don't know. But we'll figure it out soon. Come on."

Chanyeol's confusion was evident on his face. And Baekhyun thought he looked adorable when he was confused. 

Mina also wore a similar look to her father and Baekhyun noted how they almost looked identical in that moment.

However confused he was, Chanyeol still hoisted Mina onto his back, piggyback style, and followed Baekhyun out of their apartment. Mina wrapped her arms loosely around her father's neck and enjoyed the ride and the view.

Along the way, Baekhyun sent a quick text out that made Chanyeol curious. The younger followed behind and attempted to look over the older's shoulder at his phone. 

"Who are you texting?"

Baekhyun smiled mischievously. "You'll see." He put his phone away before Chanyeol could ask anything more.

Without knowing a definite destination, the walk across campus seemed endless for Chanyeol. He glanced around in jealousy at the students hurrying to their classes because he knew he should've been heading to his own.

It was a hot day in August with the sun beating down heavily, making the walk seem even longer. Chanyeol was forced to listen to Mina complain about being hot and then deal with her attempts at trying to steal his black snapback off his head. Around the time she successfully stole the hat was around the time Jongin, Sehun, and Jongdae came into view.

The three guys were lying on the campus lawn, relaxing, basking in the sun, and seemingly waiting for someone. When Sehun spotted Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Mina, he nudged the other two.

They all stood up and met up with the family. 

"Shouldn't you be in class?" Chanyeol asked them.

"Shouldn't you?" Jongdae retorted. 

"Touche." Chanyeol muttered when he placed Mina on the ground and successfully reclaimed his hat. 

The 4 year old immediately ran from her father to Jongdae, jumping up and down, waiting to be picked up.

"Jongdae! Jongdae! Jongdae!" She exclaimed as he picked up the overly hyper child. Next to Kyungsoo, Jongdae was her 2nd favorite person. Aside from her parents, of course. He was also deemed her 2nd godfather after Baekhyun and Chanyeol got sick of seeing Jongdae mope around because Kyungsoo was picked as the godfather. 

Jongdae's exact words after he found out a couple years ago were, "If you, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo die, I get to take care of her?"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes when he held a 2 year old Mina in his arms but nodded anyway.

"So, what are we doing here?" Chanyeol questioned. He was tired of being kept in the dark. If he was gonna miss a whole day of classes, he wanted to make sure it was worth it.

"Well, I texted them because I needed help coming up with something fun for us to do today. They agreed to cut class and help us out."

"Besides," Jongin spoke. "We always have the most fun. You're in good hands." He wrapped an arm around Sehun's shoulders and Jongdae's shoulders.

Chanyeol knew all too well how much fun they had. Before Baekhyun got pregnant, they used to go out and party with them all the time.

A drunk Sehun, a drunk Jongin, and a drunk Jongdae guaranteed a fun night. 

Because of that, Chanyeol was almost afraid of what his friends had up their sleeves. But he assumed with Mina around, it couldn't have been anything too bad.

Sehun must have read Chanyeol's mind because he said, "Don't worry, it'll be G rated."

"Right, we'll keep it kid friendly." Jongdae agreed before proudly announcing, "The first thing on our agenda is off campus lunch." 

He didn't miss the identical looks Baekhyun and Chanyeol gave him. Identical looks of uncertainty. They had no money for off campus lunch. 

"It's our treat." Jongdae quickly added.

"Everything today is our treat." Jongin piped up.

If Baekhyun went so far as to get 3 other people involved to make their day off special and if those 3 people were willing to spend their own money to make sure it was special, Chanyeol had to promise himself not to stress over school and enjoy it.

**

The day started off by taking the underground T to downtown Boston for lunch. They ended up at a nice seafood restaurant where the atmosphere was friendly and inviting and the food looked amazing. 

Once they were all seated and perusing the menus, Sehun spoke, "Think of this as a mini vacation. From what Baekhyun tells us, you need it, Chanyeol."

Chanyeol looked curiously at Baekhyun who shrugged innocently. 

"What have you told them?"

"Nothing, just that you've been working too hard."

Chanyeol wanted to protest and say he hadn't been working too hard but he couldn't do so when he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter