Bonus Chapter: Growing Pains

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol sat at the kitchen table. There was a blank sheet in front of him that was quickly filling up with words, sentences straight across, quite a few of them straight down.

Occasionally, he would take a moment to think, put the top of his pen in his mouth, before coming up with yet another brilliant rule that needed documentation. It was one of his most beautiful creations, aside from his own kids of course. Mina, 16 years old and Jaxon, 11 years old.

The page was halfway filled with rules when he heard the sound of a door opening and heard the sounds of his family talking and laughing. It was a good thing Mina was home, Chanyeol noted, it was time to lay down some rules.

Fortunately and unfortunately, Mina wasn't the first one to enter the kitchen. Instead, Chanyeol recieved a lovely kiss on the lips from his 35 year old husband. Saying their ages out loud sometimes was kind of scary. How did they go from 18 to 34/35? How did Mina go from 7 to 16? How did Jaxon go from 2 to 11? Aging was inevitable, really. But hey, at least they still looked good.

Baekhyun placed another kiss on his tall husband's lips before pulling away. The piece of paper on the table caught his attention and he picked it up, using Chanyeol's lap as a seat.

Chanyeol wrapped his arm around his husband's waist and beamed proudly as the list was read aloud.

"Absolutely, positively, no physical contact of any kind. No gazing into each others' eyes for longer than 2 seconds. No staying out later than 7pm. No movie watching allowed." Baekhyun shook his head and turned to Chanyeol. Someone needed to wipe that smug look off his face.

"What the hell is this?"

Chanyeol pointed to the top of the page where it read, in dark letters, Rules for Mina's First Date (not following any or all of these rules results in a penalty)

"What penalty?"

"The one where she can't date until she's, I don't know, 40."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and balled up the paper. Chanyeol exclaimed in protest and reached out for it but his hand was slapped away. Hopelessly, the 34 year old watched his older husband toss his beautiful creation into the trash. Chanyeol stared at the trash can as if Baekhyun had just thrown away a piece of his soul.

"Why would you do that? I spent hours working on it." Chanyeol pouted.

Baekhyun glared at him and crossed his arms. "Because they're unreasonable."

"Unreasonable? That's ridiculous." Chanyeol shook his head.

"How will she be able to get home at 7 if their dinner reservations are at 6?"

"They can eat fast."

"Why can't they go see a movie?"

"You know what happens to us when we go see movies alone."

Baekhyun nodded. Okay, well Chanyeol did have a slight point. Movies were dark and the very back seats were usually empty. It was a recipe for disaster, especially because Mina's date was 17, a whole year older than her. Who knew what went through his devious mind?

"Fine. But everything else is bull. We agreed she'd be home by 11. That's it. She doesn't need anymore rules. She's a smart girl. I mean, she has to be, we raised her."

Chanyeol nodded and Baekhyun thought his words would have a positive effect but all it served to do was prompt Chanyeol to take out another piece of paper and rewrite another list.

Before Baekhyun could say another word, Jaxon entered the kitchen with his dirty soccer uniform on from camp. Chanyeol was thankful Baekhyun had someone else to chastise instead of him.

"Didn't I tell you to take that uniform off the second we got home?"

"I was going to but then I passed by Mina's room and she was talking on the phone to her date."

Chanyeol's ears perked up. It might be the first time in forever Jaxon's spying skills were resulting in something positive.

"What were they talking about?" Chanyeol wondered and Baekhyun hit him on the arm.

"He was spying on his sister, don't encourage that."

But neither Jaxon nor Chanyeol listened and Baekhyun groaned in annoyance. Was he the only one on Mina's side?

Jaxon spewed out as much information as he was able to obtain. Mina contemplated what she was going to wear, how excited she was, how much fun they were going to have, all the places they were going to go, and Baekhyun cut both of them off right there.

"Jaxon, go change your clothes and take a shower. Stop encouraging your father."

Temporarily forgetting about his sister, Jaxon looked up at his mother with pleading eyes. "But mom, I'm hungry."

"I just got you something to eat on our way home."

"I know but I'm still hungry."

Baekhyun took a look at his son's lean frame and ears that he was still working on growing into. And if he turned out to be anything like Chanyeol, which Baekhyun was sure he would, he would stay lanky forever and never grow into those ears. But for the time being, the prepubescent 11 year old was always hungry. Always.

"I'll get dinner started. Go clean up." Baekhyun nudged Jaxon out of the kitchen, satisfied when he heard his son's footsteps on the stairs.

When he turned around to get started on dinner, he suddenly heard another set of footsteps rushing down the stairs. That particular set of footsteps belonged to Mina, their beautiful (unexpected) first born daughter, and their little girl who wasn't a little girl anymore. A fact that Chanyeol had a very difficult time comprehending.

"Mom, can you take me to the mall? I need a new outfit for tomorrow." She tucked a strand of her long dark hair behind her ear. The 16 year old pouted slightly, the cute looks inherited from her mother becoming more prominent.

"Sure, sweetie. We can go tomorrow afternoon."

Mina hugged her mother in thanks before turning her attention on her father. It was as if she could sense that he was silently demanding her attention. And he damn well was because he had a lot to say.

"Sit down." He stated and nodded towards the kitchen chair across from him.

She sighed but sat down. Her first real date was coming up in 24 hours and the last thing she wanted was for her dad to ruin it.

"I think we need to have the talk."

Mina's eyes widened in shock and she looked over helplessly at Baekhyun who shook his head in exasperation.

"Chanyeol, we already gave her the talk."

"That was before she was actually with a guy." He reasoned and Baekhyun just gave up because honestly, Chanyeol's overprotectiveness outweighed everything else.

When he turned his full attention on making dinner, Mina knew she was all alone up against her father. She bit her lip in nervous anticipation.

Chanyeol turned his attention back on his daughter and said, "On your date tomorrow, I don't want you to let your guard down for one second or that boy will take advantage of you."

"He won't."

"He will. You know nothing about 17 year old boys. But I was a 17 year old boy at one point. They only think about one thing, . If it wasn't for my raging 17 year old hormones you wouldn't even be here."

"Okay, daddy." Mina winced. Urging him not to continue but alas, he did.

"If he makes you feel uncomfortable in any way, call me and I'll be there faster than he can his pants."

"We're just going to eat dinner and then walk around Boston. That's it."

Chanyeol squinted suspiciously. "Fine. But just think about how unfortunate it would be to raise a baby at 16."

Mina stood up from the table in anger. "Just because you and mom had me when you were teenagers doesn't mean anything! I'm responsible, daddy. Why can't you trust me?" And in a huff, she stomped upstairs to her room.

Chanyeol was left behind in shock. "She can't talk to me like that."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and said, "Chanyeol, you're being ridiculous. She's not going to have and she's not going to get pregnant. She just wants to go on a date with a boy she likes. Where's the harm in that?"

Chanyeol sighed and stood up, pushing back his chair. "I'll go talk to her."

"No." Baekhyun nodded towards the vegetables that were waiting to be cut. "You work on dinner and I'll talk to her."

His instinct to disagree was written all over his face but Chanyeol still obeyed while Baekhyun set out to make things right. When the older went upstairs, he found Mina's door was locked. He knocked.

"Go away."

"It's mom." He said gently.

He heard shuffling on the other side of the door before the sound of a click. Mina opened the door and closed it once Baekhyun was inside. He noticed her eyes were puffy and red.

He sat on her bed and gestured for her to join him. She crawled onto bed and rested her head in his lap. He her hair like he used to do when she was a child as he waited for her to speak.

"Why does h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter