The List

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongdae claimed to be more mature. He had been in the army for over a year so everyone assumed he had to be. 

But Baekhyun had a hard time believing his claim of maturity. Especially when he saw Jongdae, Sehun, and Chanyeol in their pajamas standing in front of the television doing Power Rangers karate moves with Jaxon. 

"I'm the red ranger!" The 2 year old exclaimed. 

"No, I'm the red ranger!" Sehun whined. 

Jongdae cleared his throat. "I'm in the army and I am a trained fighter. It only makes sense for me to be the red ranger."

Last but not least, Chanyeol interjected and tapped on the television screen. "My t.v, my house, my rules. I'm the red ranger."

Baekhyun chose that moment to interrupt. "Can I be the pink ranger and be your damsel in distress?"

He sauntered over and gave Chanyeol a lengthy kiss.

"Only if I get a reward every time I save you." Chanyeol replied and kissed back, snaking an arm around Baekhyun's waist.

Jongdae covered Jaxon's poor innocent eyes and said, "Ew, PDA."

Baekhyun pulled back and laughed as did Chanyeol until Jaxon, certainly not caring about his parents' display of affection, caught their attention. 

"Daddy, big fight!" He was pointing to the television where the Power Rangers were in the midst of using their megazords to fight the bad guy.

"I can't miss this." Chanyeol said apologetically to Baekhyun as he sat on the couch with Jongdae and Sehun. Jaxon climbed into his lap and all three of them were glued to the t.v.

Baekhyun shook his head in disbelief. "You just wanted a son so you'd have an excuse to watch Power Rangers again."

"Shh." All of them turned to shush Baekhyun simultaneously. 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "After this episode you need to get ready for work."

"Yeah, yeah." Chanyeol waved him off and Baekhyun just then realized he'd been married to a big kid.

Leaving the sounds of the Power Rangers' exclamations of triumph behind, he went into the kitchen to get breakfast ready. The 26 year old was too lazy to do more than make coffee and get a box of cereal and milk out and a few bowls.

He was just pouring himself a bowl of cereal when Mina came into the kitchen.

"Mommy." She groaned, clutching her stomach.

He looked up. "What's wrong? Are you sick, honey?"

She nodded and groaned again for dramatic effect. Baekhyun felt her forehead and cocked his head to the side suspiciously. "You don't feel warm."

"I know but I'm sick. I can't go to school." She insisted, suddenly sounding better. But then she remembered her facade and suddenly groaned again.

Baekhyun laughed. "Nice try. Why don't you wanna go to school?"

She sighed. There was no use pretending to be sick anymore. Moms knew everything and weren't easily fooled. "It's Uncle Jongdae's last day here. I can't go to school."

Baekhyun nodded. "You've had plenty of time to spend with him, though."

"Yeah, but mostly I've been at school. It's not fair."

Baekhyun mulled over her words thoughtfully. She had always had a good attendance record. One day of absence wouldn't hurt.

"If you can convince daddy you're sick, I'll let you stay home."

She perked up. "Okay." And she made her way into the living room where the Power Rangers episode was almost over. Baekhyun followed and watched from afar as she put on her fake sick face.

"Daddy." She whined, there was no room on his lap so she settled for resting her head on his shoulder. 

"Mi-Mi, what's the matter?"

"I'm sick." She groaned, a laughable over exaggeration. But Chanyeol simply looked on with concern and felt her forehead. 

"You don't feel warm." He said.

"I know but I feel really bad." She stuck out her bottom lip and Chanyeol felt bad for her.

"Maybe you should stay home today."

"Really?" She perked up and he nodded. 

Baekhyun then made his presence known to congratulate Mina. 

"Good job, honey. You're really lucky your daddy's an idiot."

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes at Baekhyun who shrugged. 

"You're gonna pay for that." The younger man growled. Sehun, Jaxon, and Jongdae all shushed him but he ignored it in favor of transferring Jaxon to Jongdae's lap and chasing Baekhyun who ran away laughing.

He caught up to Baekhyun easily and kissed him, long and passionate. When both of them ran upstairs, Jongdae and Sehun knew they wouldn't be seeing the two of them for a while.

"Where are they going?" Jaxon wondered, specifically looking up at his big sister for answers. He was yet another innocent child created from his parents' not so innocent activities. 

"They're gonna play a grown up game and mommy will help daddy get ready for work after." Mina stated matter of factly before looking up at the two adults for confirmation. 

Mina was partly right anyway as the fact that Chanyeol had been quick to tell her they were playing a game when she heard them having long ago stuck. Jongdae and Sehun were quick to agree to avoid any awkwardness. No way in hell were they giving someone else's kids the talk.

To back the authenticity of her claims, the next time Chanyeol did come downstairs, he was dressed for work with Baekhyun trailing behind him. Both of them clearly had satisfied and elated looks on their faces, obviously not trying to hide the remnants of a successful morning quickie.

Before leaving for work, Chanyeol kissed Jaxon and Mina on their foreheads saying he loved both of them. Then he gave Baekhyun a parting kiss and said he loved him too.

Jongdae and Sehun were sprawled on the couch watching the family's interactions.

"Don't we get a kiss goodbye and a proclamation of love?" The older of the two whined. Chanyeol chuckled. 

"Kiss each other and proclaim your love. I don't want to be late. See you guys."

"Bye." They waved and Chanyeol left.

Power Rangers was off for the morning and the three adults and two kids went into the kitchen to eat breakfast.

Baekhyun made cereal for all of them and was just placing a bowl in front of Sehun when he asked, "Aren't you late for class?"

Sehun took the cereal from Baekhyun and responded with a question of his own, "Aren't you late for class?"

Baekhyun shook his head as he sat down next to Jongdae and Sehun. "I have night classes."

Jongdae slurped up some milk from his spoon before looking at Baekhyun with confusion written all over his face. 

"When did you go back to school?"

"A little while after you left for the army."

Mina spoke up from across the table, also slurping her milk. "Mommy's gonna be a psychologist."

Jongdae smiled. "I'm glad it's working out for you. What do you want to specialize in?"

Baekhyun shrugged although he already knew. "I want to focus on things that I have first-hand knowledge with so teens struggling with early pregnancy and raising children." 

"And depression." He added as an afterthought. Baekhyun didn't consider his audience nor the impact his words had. Depression was a topic he had learned to talk about freely so he blamed his slip for that reason. Both Jongdae and Sehun stopped eating and looked at him curiously.

"How do you have first-hand knowledge of depression?" Sehun wondered. 

Baekhyun felt like a deer in headlights with three sets of eyes, including Mina's, on him. She wanted to know what was going on as well.

The 26 year old opened his mouth to speak but thankfully Jaxon chose that moment to decide he didn't want cereal and to knock his plastic bowl on the floor.

Milk and cereal went in all directions and Baekhyun had never thanked Jaxon so much for being such a handful. 

He picked up the plastic bowl and put it in the sink. Next, he crouched down and wiped up the milk and cereal pieces.

All the while, Jaxon was kicking his feet in his booster seat and whining. He was sick of being enclosed. And all the while, Sehun and Jongdae were watching Baekhyun with concern.

Once the mess had been cleaned, the light haired elder addressed his friends. 

"I'm, uh, gonna put Jaxon down to nap. He's getting a little cranky." With that, he picked up his whiny son and hurried upstairs before any other questions could be asked. 

Jongdae turned to Mina who had long since gone back to eating. He was suddenly worried about his friend. "Mi-Mi, has your mommy been acting weird lately?"

The 7 year old racked her brain for any weird occurrences associated with her mother in the past few months and she shook her head. "Daddy was acting weird a little while ago."

"How so?"

"He was mad a lot." She shrugged. She was referring to the time he had stopped taking his antidepressants and things hadn't gone so well.

Jongdae glanced through the entranceway just to make sure Baekhyun wasn't coming back soon. He was definitely about to snoop into their personal lives but only because he cared about his friends so much. 

When he saw the coast was clear he continued to question Mina while Sehun listened. 

"Anything else?"

She shrugged. It was too early in the day to be questioned. "He left for a month."

"A month? To do what?"

"I don't know." She took a bite of her cereal. "Mommy said he was sick."

Sehun's eyes widened and he looked at his friend. "I feel like a detective. We're piecing together some big mystery."

Jongdae chose to ignore Sehun in exchange for asking Mina, "Did he go to the hospital?"

She swung her legs in irritation. Why were there so many questions? And it wasn't like she wanted to relive that time. 

"I don't know." She huffed and Jongdae felt it was best to leave her alone.

When Baekhyun returned, minus Jaxon, he saw Mina looking upset and Jongdae and Sehun looking guilty. 

The first words out of his mouth were, "What did you do to my daughter?"

"Nothing." They answered at the same time but Mina abandoned her breakfast in favor of running over to hug her mommy. 

She buried her head in Baekhyun's stomach and murmured, "I don't wanna remember."

"Remember what, baby?"

She looked up at Baekhyun with rapidly forming tears in her eyes. "When daddy left."

Baekhyun crouched down and hugged her, surprised at how much Chanyeo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter