Roommates

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Move in day for the six new occupants was finally among them. Chanyeol, Luhan, and Sung-Woo spent the majority of that day moving boxes into the townhouse. 

It had been a busy past couple months. Baekhyun and Chanyeol celebrated their first wedding anniversary together. As an early wedding anniversary present, Chanyeol revealed the song he had written for Baekhyun at the university's talent show.

It was no surprise that the older burst into emotional tears when Jongin performed a lovely dance to go along with it. Needless to say, Jongin won the show and The Domino Effect became their song.

In addition to that, Chanyeol had passed his bar exam and started his job last month. It was time consuming for sure, being an official lawyer. And extremely stressful. But Baekhyun still couldn't believe the amount of money Chanyeol received for his first paycheck. They would have a house in no time. 

Baekhyun smiled when Chanyeol came over to place a kiss on his lips. "You know you look really y when you lift heavy boxes."

Chanyeol chuckled and planted a kiss on Baekhyun's belly. Just a few more months to go.

Once Chanyeol left Baekhyun to finish moving things in, Minseok came and plopped down next to him on the couch.

"It's going to be weird, all 7 of us living here." Minseok said and Baekhyun nodded. 

"It'll take some getting used to, that's for sure." Baekhyun murmured. He smiled though, when he caught a glimpse of Ryder and Mina playing with Aladdin. According to Mina, the toddler was much more fun to play with since he was out of his baby stage and could walk and talk. 

After a long day of hard work for everyone but a pregnant Baekhyun, all the things were finally moved in and the unpacking would begin soon. But first, Sung-Woo called a "family meeting."

The adults gathered in the living room, ready to start their new lives with roommates. Before that, they needed ground rules.

"As much as I love all of you, it's going to be hard living together. So let's get a few things straight." Sung-Woo began and everyone nodded.

"I'm not cleaning up after any one of you. Clean up your own messes and we'll get along fine." He said, especially directing his gaze to Luhan.

"Okay." Luhan replied and Sung-Woo nodded.

"Next rule, I'll be happy to babysit but I do have a life of my own and I'm not going to watch the kids whenever you want me to. I need to be asked in advance."

"Dad, you have a life? Really?" Minseok chuckled and Sung-Woo sighed but continued.

"Most important, you guys are young and in very serious relationships. I get it, I was your age at one time. I just expect you to keep the bedroom activities private and keep the noise level down."

Baekhyun actually blushed at that. There were only three bedrooms in the house and they would be sharing theirs with Mina. ual activities in the bedroom would be next to impossible to follow through with. The bathroom, however, was a different story.

"We'll keep it down." Chanyeol promised for all of them.

"Agreed." Baekhyun smiled.

Finally the meeting concluded and the unpacking began.

Mina sat on the freshly made bed and watched her parents move around the spacious guest bedroom that would be their bedroom for a while. They had just started to unpack and make it more homey while Mina held Aladdin in her arms. The dog her face and she giggled. He would be sharing the guest bedroom with them too.

"Are we living with grandpa forever?" She wondered and Chanyeol chuckled. 

"Fortunately for him, we're not. We just want to save up for a good house without having to worry about rent."

Baekhyun nodded. "It won't be quite as crowded as this. You'll get your own room and the baby will get his own room too."

"His?" Chanyeol cocked an eyebrow. Baekhyun had just revealed the unconfirmed gender of their baby.

"It just slipped out. I think we're having a boy. What do you think?"

Chanyeol shrugged. "I don't know. You were right the last time so I'll agree with you this time. We're having a boy."

Baekhyun smiled and leaned up to kiss Chanyeol. All the while, he was envisioning a little boy with Chanyeol's ears and his eyes playing in the park. It was a nice picture. 

At that moment, Sung-Woo knocked on the open door and cleared his throat to get their attention. Chanyeol and Baekhyun stopped kissing but didn't pull away from each other. 

"Sorry to interrupt but Minseok and Luhan want to check out wedding venues. Did you want to come?"

Baekhyun nodded excitedly. Since he and Chanyeol didn't have a big detailed wedding, he wanted to be as invested in Minseok and Luhan's as he could. 

Chanyeol shook his head. "No thanks. I have work to do."

Sung-Woo smiled apologetically. He was remembering his first few years as a lawyer. They were always the toughest. 

At that moment, Luhan's newly dyed brunette head popped up behind Sung-Woo, having heard what had just been said

"No problem. You can watch Ryder. I just got him down for his nap."

Chanyeol opened his mouth to protest but Mina spoke up first. "I wanna stay here with daddy."

Baekhyun smiled. "Perfect. Chanyeol can watch the kids."

Once again, Chanyeol opened his mouth to protest but was interrupted by an appearing Minseok who asked if they were ready to go.

"I'm ready." Baekhyun said and everyone agreed. They were out the door before Chanyeol even got a word in. That was one of the bad things about having roommates, he guessed. His voice wouldn't always be heard.

He didn't think it would be possible for him to watch Ryder, Mina, and to work at the same time. Seeing as how no one even asked him if he was up for babysitting. If they'd actually asked, he would've said no.

When they were alone, Mina looked up at Chanyeol, Aladdin still in her arms. She just never seemed to let go of that little dog.

"Can we play outside?"

"No. Find something quiet to do inside. I have tons of work to do."

"But what do I do?" She pouted. 

Chanyeol kissed her forehead. "Figure something out, sweetie. I'll be in the office if you need me."

With that, Chanyeol retrieved Ryder's baby monitor and set his laptop up in Sung-Woo's home office space. He sat down in the leather chair with a sigh and rolled the kinks out of his neck.

He hadn't been working for a full 2 months yet he was already questioning his career choice. Sure, being a lawyer was his dream and it was great to have made it where he did. There were just too many downsides. Namely, he was working late from 9-6, getting home a little before 7. The work was overbearing. People treated him like the actual lawyer he was and not the intern he used to be. The past intern work was seeming more and more like child's play.

Not to mention, he was tired and he was stressed out.

He worried that when the new baby came, he would be away too much and miss out on far too much. He would be working all day even after Baekhyun gave birth because he hadn't even been working long enough to think about taking a few months off for paternity leave. It just wouldn't work out that way.

But would the time sacrifice be worth the financial security? Chanyeol sure hoped so. He was already stressed out from work but he couldn't let Baekhyun know. If his spouse did, it would just upset him. 

Everything was supposed to be perfect from then on out. They had already jumped over the biggest hurdles in their life. So things were supposed to be great. Chanyeol didn't want Baekhyun to think it was any other way. He really should have learned long ago that keeping things from Baekhyun never turned out well.

But Chanyeol had always promised to provide for his family. If that meant stressing over work, he would endure it. Even though he felt he had enough stress in his 24 years of life to last him a lifetime, he would keep pushing through because he had made it too far to give up. 

After an hour of working and muttering frustrated swear words, he had barely gotten anything done since there was so much to do. Even worse, Ryder was whimpering and Mina was hungry. 

The 24 year old hurried to Luhan and Minseok's room to pick up the young toddler who stood up in his crib.

"What's wrong?" He asked the whimpering child. 

"Mama?" He wondered through tear filled eyes. 

"Sorry buddy, you're stuck with me. Your parents aren't here right now." 

Chanyeol carried the crying child over to the changing table because it was obvious he needed a fresh diaper. 

After he finished with Ryder, he went into the kitchen to make lunch for the kids. He placed Ryder in his high chair and called for Mina. 

She came running along with a green crayon in her hand and a small dog on her heels.

"Did you find something to do?"

"I was coloring." She beamed proudly. 

Chanyeol smiled back. "Good." And the sooner he could get them fed, the sooner he could get back to work. When did he become such a workaholic? 

He helped feed Ryder lunch and Mina ate quickly. She wanted to get back to her coloring, she said. Chanyeol nodded and waved her away when she was done.

"Come on, you can hang out with me for a little bit." Chanyeol said to Ryder who giggled in agreement. The tall adult carried the toddler into the office, bringing some toys along for Ryder to play with.

Once Ryder was occupied, Chanyeol went back to his work. Uninterrupted for at least 2 hours, he became curious. He hadn't heard a peep out of Mina the whole time. At least Ryder was still playing with his toys happily. 

"What is she up to?" He wondered as he hoisted Ryder onto his hip to find his daughter. It didn't take too long to find her.

She was stationed in the entranceway of the townhouse. Once someone stepped into the house, they would be greeted by something they weren't expe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter