Finally

The Domino Effect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun sighed. He had too many psychology papers to grade and was exhausted. 

His pregnancy was already taking its toll and he was just 4 months in. He leaned back in the desk chair and rubbed his small baby bump. 

"This might be your room." He said to his belly in reference to the office/study. "Unless your daddy and I can save up enough money and buy an even bigger place. It doesn't seem likely though. We still have to worry about your sister's education and we have to save up for you too."

"Talking to the baby again?" 

Baekhyun looked up, startled. Chanyeol stood in the doorway, dressed for work. 

The older smiled. "I am."

"I don't think it can hear you yet." Chanyeol said as he entered the room.

"That's up for debate." Baekhyun replied and accepted the kiss Chanyeol gave him. When they pulled away, the older pouted. 

"I still can't believe you have to work on a Saturday."

"I'm sorry. I'll be home as early as I can."

"Okay." Baekhyun murmured and kissed Chanyeol once more before the younger began to make his way out of the room. 

He paused when Baekhyun called him back. "Your birthday's next week. What do you want?"

Chanyeol groaned. "Don't remind me. I can't believe I'm turning 24. I feel so old."

"Hey. I'm 24. Are you saying I'm old?" Baekhyun wondered and crossed his arms.

Chanyeol laughed. "I'm just kidding, babe. But seriously, I don't want anything."

Baekhyun nodded. Regardless of what Chanyeol said, he planned to get the younger something anyway. If not for his birthday then to celebrate all the years they'd known each other.

"Fine."

"I'm gonna say goodbye to Mina and I'll be back later. I love you. Have fun grading papers."

Baekhyun smiled in response. Not too long ago, he had made the decision to become a full-time teacher. In order to do so, he had to finish out one year of assistant teaching and take a test to become certified. 

He loved psychology so much but never dreamed he'd be teaching it. Life was so unpredictable. 

In the middle of grading another essay, his phone went off. He picked it up to see Kang-Joon had texted him asking if he wanted to hang out with him and Nana.

Baekhyun replied that he'd love to later on before going back to grading papers. Baekhyun was happy that Kang-Joon eventually decided to stay in Boston, taking a break from school and renting a small apartment in the city.

He rarely kept in touch with his family but he now had Nana and all of his friends for support.

Baekhyun had just finished grading a poorly written essay about psychoanalysis when Mina entered the study room. 

"Mommy." She whined, coming over to climb in his lap. Sadly, his belly took up a lot of room and made it uncomfortable for her to sit. She gave up sitting on his lap and just stood instead.

"What's wrong?" He asked the 5 year old, brushing her hair away from her face. 

"I'm bored." She groaned, leaning into Baekhyun's touch. "Will you play with me?"

"I have a lot of work to do, sweetie. Why don't you draw me a picture?" He suggested. 

"Okay." She murmured and left the room. Baekhyun sighed, feeling bad for his only daughter. 

She was at the age where she needed to spend time with kids her age outside of school. She was bored to death sitting around while Baekhyun did his work.

Nevertheless, he continued to work vigorously for an hour. Once he stopped to take a break, Mina came back into the study with a smile on her face.

"Did you finish the picture?" He wondered. 

Mina nodded eagerly and held up a piece of paper with her carefully drawn artwork. The piece of notebook paper looked eerily familiar. 

Baekhyun grabbed it from Mina's hands and examined it closely. It was a picture of the three of them. He didn't pay much attention to the actual picture, instead, he focused on what the piece of paper actually was.

She had drawn all over Chanyeol's new song. Baekhyun sighed. His husband had spent many hours perfecting that song and there was no way he had it all memorized. 

"Mina, did you get this from mommy and daddy's room?"

"Mhm." She responded innocently. 

"Why were you in our room?" He wondered. 

"I already played in my room."

"Mina," he sighed again, "this was very important to daddy. "

Her eyes widened. "I didn't know, mommy."

Baekhyun handed the picture back to her. He hoped Chanyeol wouldn't be too mad.

"You know better than to mess with someone else's things before asking. When he gets home, you can explain to him what happened." 

She looked down at the ground. Baekhyun's heart crumpled when he heard her sniff, holding back tears. 

"It's okay, baby, don't cry." Baekhyun murmured and hugged her to him. Her head rested on his belly and although she wasn't fond of the baby, she didn't pull back.

When she had settled down, she looked up at him. 

He wiped away any remaining tear tracks and said, "Let's do something fun." 

"Okay." She murmured. 

Baekhyun smiled and crouched down to kiss her before sending her off to get dressed. 

When she left, Baekhyun texted Kyungsoo to ask if he was busy. He replied that he wasn't. Assuming seeing her godfather would make her extremely happy, he asked if Kyungsoo wanted to hang out.

Sure, but can you meet me at Jongin's dance studio? He said he needed some help.

To clarify, Jongin didn't own a dance studio, he just worked there and taught classes. 

Yeah, see you in a few.

Baekhyun put away his phone and got himself ready quickly. He helped Mina to finish getting ready and said, "We're going to hang out with Uncle Kyungsoo."

Her face lit up at those words. Aside from her parents, of course, Kyungsoo was one of her favorite people. 

After they finished getting ready, they made their way to the dance studio. Baekhyun had never actually been there before but it wasn't far from campus. 

When they entered, Kyungsoo was already there. He was standing in front of a large window, watching Jongin in the midst of teaching a young ballet class.

He smiled lovingly as his boyfriend helped a young girl do a correct pliè.

Baekhyun and Mina joined him while curious parents stood around them watching their own children dance.

"What does he need help with?" Baekhyun wondered. 

Kyungsoo shrugged, eyes still on Jongin. "He just texted me and said he needed help."

Mina stood on tiptoe, trying to see through the window that everyone else was looking through. But her attempts were futile. The window went above her head.

"I can't see." She whined, frowning at all the adults who could.

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun chuckled. The former finally tore his eyes away from Jongin to pick up Mina. He rested her on his hip and both of them watched Jongin's class. 

With each second that went by, her eyes grew wide with fascination. She had never seen ballet before.

Every jump, every turn, and every pliè intrigued her. Dancing was an art and she was a very artistic person.

"Mommy, I wanna do that."She said to Baekhyun. 

"You want to take ballet?"

She nodded eagerly. Baekhyun grinned. It was the perfect way for her to interact with kids her age outside of school. It was even better that Jongin taught the class.

"We'll talk to Uncle Jongin after his class, okay?"

She smiled hugely, going back to watching the ballet class until the very end.

A little while later, the door opened and the little kids came pouring out. They waved goodbye to Jongin and he waved back. He even hugged a few that were begging for it. He was a well-loved teacher.

After saying goodbye to the kids, Jongin caught sight of his friends and waved them into the dance room that was now empty. He closed the door behind them and gave Kyungsoo a quick kiss.

"So what do you need help with?" Kyungsoo wondered. 

In response, Jongin went over to the speakers in the corner of the room. He picked up his iPod and searched for a song.

Having found the song he was looking for, he went to the center of the room. 

Equally confused, both Kyungsoo and Baekhyun stood back as Jongin began a fast upbeat dance to a fast upbeat Korean song.

Mina watched in fascination. Having just discovered dance, she was then being exposed to a completely different style than ballet. 

Jongin's dance was great. The dance included a lot of "popping" and a lot of "krumping." Baekhyun had never really seen him dance before so he was amazed.

The dance finished with a pose from Jongin. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo clapped but were still a bit confused. 

"What did you think?" Jongin wondered, panting slightly. 

"It was good." Kyungsoo replied honestly. 

"Good is not good enough." Jongin sighed and went to turn off his iPod when a different song blared over the speakers. 

"Okay, could you just explain what's going on please?" Kyungsoo asked when the music had stopped and the room was silent. 

Jongin nodded. "There's a talent show coming up at the university. Yixing told me about it. All the proceeds go to the children's hospital and I wanted to enter. I'm going to dance but I needed your opinion on my dance."

"I loved it!" Mina exclaimed and Jongin chuckled at her enthusiasm. 

"Thanks, Mi-Mi. What did you think, Baek?"

Baekhyun shrugged. "Honestly it was good but you're doing this for the kids, right?" 

Jongin nodded.

"Maybe you should do something slower with more emotion."

Jongin sat down on the ground, back resting against the floor length dancing mirror. "That's what I was thinking. But I can't find a good enough slow song that inspires me to dance."

"We'll help, then. Right, Baekhyun?" Kyungsoo said.

Baekhyun nodded. "Of course." He smiled as he watched Mina walk over to Jongin and sit on his lap.

"Speaking of dance," Baekhyun continued, "I think Mina wants to give it a try."

Jongin smiled proudly. "Really?" He asked the 5 year old. She nodded. 

"Is there space available?" Baekhyun asked.

"Of course." He hugged Mina. "Do you want to become my protégé?"

She looked up at him in confusion. "A what?"

He chuckled. "Nevermind."

Kyungsoo sat down next to his boyfriend. "Wow, Jongin. You're finally using fancy words. Good for you." He teased.

Jongin rolled his eyes before turning his attention to Baekhyun. The latter had his phone out and was texting someone. Jongin waited until he was done.

"The ballet class is on Saturdays from 9-10. Mina can start next week if she wants. I'll get her dance shoes and clothes if you want me to."

Baekhyun smiled in appreciation. "Thanks. I'd really appreciate that."

Kyungsoo nodded towards the phone still in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter