Ending 1: Luhan "The Hero Templar"

The Well of Emerald Waters

This is part of a multi-post. Please be sure you've read from "The Fade" before continuing. 

 

 

CODEX UPDATED

The following story was pieced together somewhere near the end of the Dragon Age, 9:45, sometimes under the name "The Hero Templar" which would be later added to the ending of A Compendium of Stories in the Dragon Age. Its origins thus place it within the realm of possibility that this unnamed templar, sometimes called Luhan, if that be his real name (many say it is a mere pseudonym) is the true hero of the Well of Emerald Waters, a legend and certainly a place thought lost to our times. As for this mystery, herein follows the tale. 

I tell you it was the templar who finally drank from the well. Believing only that his beloved would die, Luhan became the sacrifice himself. They say he drank not even knowing what might happen to him, but that he'd been told the deepest desires of those who released the magic would somehow come true, and that he would be a payment for it. Luhan gave his life willingly for his friends. He drank of the cup, and in a flash his body was deformed, doubled over and near death. A templar possesses strange magicks, for in their core they have been fed the lyrium that manipulates others' magicks. For this reason he did not die as he should have, but was entranced by this evil magic which belonged to the well. 

As for his companions, they cried to see his sacrifice. But the templar was a hero. Without him, the Grey One would not have lived, cured forever of the Taint. Though not immortal, he was gifted with life anew, a second chance to make amends. Years later the Grey One was seen wandering Ferelden, sometimes in the southern regions near the Arling of West Hills, sometimes in the company of Xiumin the Great. He would die, old and wise, but of normal consequences many years later. Some say he would live to fight the great dragon Yixing once more at that dragon's last stand, an outcome which would surely not have come about with the templar's noble sacrifice

Even Xiumin the Great, and his brother Minseok, were indebted to the templar. The former survived, his heart which was blackened from ill magicks now wiped clean and purified. Who could have foretold that, surely, when he was such a villain before. Perhaps that had been his wish after all? To be cured from his demons. As for Minseok, no one knows what exactly he wished for. Although perhaps it was for Luhan's own life, which was granted to him after a fact. 

To save his life, and because they were not powerful enough on their own, Luhan's companions took his body to the Circle Tower where for months, some say years, the greatest Circle mages from all over Thedas worked over his body, pouring their healing magic into him. And when he awoke finally, he found himself healed, renewed, healthier than ever, but alone. His sole companion was a mabari hound by the name of Alistair. The two adventured together for years in search of a person he would never name. When the skies were rent, and a breach torn through the Veil by the Elder One, Luhan and his companion prevailed across Thedas, aiding the Inquisition in all they could. When Civil War broke across Orlais, they were there too, brokering the peace between enemies, though all that was a just a temporary adventure. Many believed he ever on the trail of Xiumin the Great; still more knew him to be on a quest for his long lost lover who went missing during this turbulent age. 

The only thing we know is that he never returned to the Templar Order. Disgusted with their treatment of the mages for so many ages, he hung his robes in the Circle Tower, and never looked back. 

 

 


 

Was this ending not your cup of tea? Try a different one! Or go ahead and skip to the EPILOGUE