The Well of Emerald Waters

The Well of Emerald Waters

At first it was dark. Kyungsoo's eyes acclimated it to like he was made for this. Every memory of living in the shadows, of the Deep Roads. He fingers clenched around nothing but hard stone and rock, dirt. He remembered water. His clothes were soaked through. He had jumped into the well and fallen a long while until he found water. He had floundered for a moment, bobbing on the surface with frantic splashes. Something had clutched at him, some inward drive to let go, to drown. To sink. He exhaled, slowly, finally. 

And when he awoke it was in darkness. A darkness already growing less dark. Faint light tugged at the corners of his eyes, until it brightened gradually. He was in a room, a cavern devoid of life, or greenery. He blinked, and the place came alive! Vibrant plant life and animal sounds, a humming as of bees, chirping birds. Vivid flowers came into focus. He was standing on a path, and in the distance there was the gurgling of water pouring out of the ground. 

He had made it.

Kyungsoo had finally made it.

For all his visions, for all his dreams, he was here now, standing inside the well, at the well. His feet hastened towards the streaming water, tripping every couple of steps. He landed once on his hands and knees, and when he stood up it was to gasp at the suddenly dead and dying foliage he'd touched. The greenery shrunk around his own darkness, fading like the grey marks he'd left on Sehun's skin, but this time unto death. A patchwork of death was strewn out from under him and he scampered back onto his feet, almost paralyzed with fear. 

He had come here, and without any of the gemstones. Tears tugged at him for daring to trust another soul. What if he was left here. What if Minseok persuaded him into here only so he could die. Could he really trust the mage? Could he trust anyone? 

He is coming, something whispered into his ear, in his ear. Minseok.

At first he could not compute it. Who is coming. Where is he coming. He sped up along the path towards the water, careful not to touch anything, although the way was overgrown with foliage and flowers and low hanging tree branches, more than one of which shriveled at his touch. He should have known this path already. He had been here so many times. Kyungsoo turned with the path, now marked with stones, now marked with statues with etchings long since indecipherable, all the way to the sanctuary, to the open temple crumbling from ruin from whence the stream overflowed. 

At last he turned to find it. Kyungsoo sighed with relief. It looked the same as every other time, only move vibrant, more real. With trembling knees he stumbled to the edge of the fountain. Here at least his hands left no mark on the stone. He sighed again, breath evening out now that he had made it. All at once he felt the drumming sound like a heartbeat. A moment later there was another one, then another. Three heartbeats echoing through the chambers of this fantastical world. The gems had been reunited, they were coming. 

Kyungsoo looked idly into the waters. Large bubbles flowed from the center, sending concentric rights outwards. By the time they reached the edge, only the tiniest bubbles remained. Kyungsoo stared at them until they burst against the stone rim. One popped before his eyes, and in that heartbeat he had a vision of above. It was Jongdae, crying in pain with Kris hovering uselessly by his side, their weapons gone, encircled by mages. A werewolf broke past the ring of mages, scattering them easily to stand in vicious defense of the man and qunari. 

Kyungsoo blinked, and saw another bubble. This time featuring Tao shouting maniacally as he spurred on the charging werewolves. Another bubble, Yixing, with a broken, limp body covered with frostbite, alone in the forest, until Alistair appeared at his side, his cheek, then lay down to warm him. Yet another vision showed him Suho, bravely scampering through the forest in search of their missing party members. In the spell of the vision, Kyungsoo watched him trip over a body and discover the three. Jongin was already awake, sobbing as he cradled the elf against his chest. Chanyeol's face remained dazed. The last bubble showed him Luhan, placing a still sleeping Sehun at the feet of the werewolves, and Tao sinking down to cup his chin and check his pulse. Then Luhan disappeared from the vision. Kyungsoo looked around and saw him in another bubble, approaching the well, just before it burst. 

From behind him came the sound of footsteps. Kyungsoo dragged himself away from edge of the pool and sat up, waiting. 

Two voices argued with each other. Two bodies, brothers, holding each other up, rounded the corner of the path and emerged from the foliage. At first glance Kyungsoo couldn't distinguish one from another. Their bodies appeared equally marred, with identical bruises and scrapes, and singed hair, but their mages' robes were similarly soaked through from the effects of the well. Neither had enough energy to carry himself completely as they stumbled and tumbled to the ground before the well and Kyungsoo. Still they wrestled, but half-heartedly. If Kyungsoo hadn't seen them earlier trading near deathly blows, he would have called them fond. And maybe, even after all that had happened, they still were so?

"Min...seok?" he asked with small voice, the muscles of his face becoming taut with bubbling anxiety. 

The mage Kyungsoo recognized as his companion all this time, looked at him. He dragged himself onto his palms, skin blistered and one arm blackened with foul magic. His brother barely moved, but rolled onto his back with his head angled to look at them. Malice filled his eyes and his lips formed a sneer, but he didn't move. 

"Give me the gems, Xiumin," said Minseok to the other. 

The maleficar laughed, still without moving. Minseok tackled him, and the wrestling match continued. 

Kyungsoo crawled to their side, but the second he reached for Xiumin, the mage bristled in anger and a short burst of magical energy sizzled through the air. Both Kyungsoo and Minseok fell backwards, scowling. 

"What are you doing?" asked Kyungsoo, glaring between both mages. "Is this a game?"

Xiumin laughed again, humorlessly. Minseok grimaced. "No it's not," he said, "but my dear brother here wants to make it one." 

"I'll give you the gems over my dead body," said Xiumin. 

"And that might be easily arranged," Minseok replied. He sighed and cradled his injured arm, giving only a cursory examination of their surroundings. 

"You remember this place, well enough, right?" asked Kyungsoo. 

The mage nodded. "Indeed. Looks the same, sounds the same, feels just as evil."

Here Kyungsoo shook his head. "It's not though."

"Not what?"

"Evil."

Minseok tossed his head. "Maybe to you it doesn't feel that. Don't let it fool you though. The well wants to be used. It craves its lifeblood." He paused and mused, "Yixing should have been here." 

"Why?" asked Xiumin. "You think he's not as tempted as the rest of us? You still think he's some brave soul, wiser than all the rest."

"He's wiser than you." 

Xiumin snorted. "Oh, he's a sage alright. But just as twisted. How do you think he acquired all those powers of his? You think just any benevolent elven mage can turn into a dragon? You think just any wise old man can live for hundreds of years? You don't think there's a reason I was his pupil?"

Minseok didn't respond, but a small worm of fear came to life inside Kyungsoo's gut. 

"Perhaps it's best he isn't here," he said. What he didn't add is that he could not believe Yixing wanted to help him, Kyungsoo, out of all other possibilities. He looked at the well, at the seemingly peaceful ringlets of water swirling from its center fountain. From here he could no longer see into the bubbles, so he had no idea what might be happening above. (Was it even above? Or, another plane of existence as Yixing had implied?) 

What he said was, "Enough bickering. Kill each other if you must, but I will succeed here today."

Kyungsoo's voice was stern, he was proud to note. It didn't wobble, and he didn't tremble like he was wont to do. For years now this well had been his dream, his desire, and his very last chance. Out of the darkness of his remote childhood, into the deep roads, sickened with the Taint, it might very well be the last thing he did. 

Minseok observed him carefully, the mage folding his legs under him to sit up. He did not reach for his brother, who likewise hauled himself up. 

"You promised to help me," Kyungsoo reminded him. 

Minseok's lips twitched. "I did."

"You will keep that promise now." 

This time he inclined his head. "I will." 

Xiumin sniffed. "And have you told him how it works?"

Minseok smiled. "He knows how it works." Then, more softly, "He's known even longer than you or I."

The maleficar's eyes narrowed to a point, cheeks tightening from glee. "Then I shall be very happy to see you sacrifice yourself, brother, all for this... stranger. Tell me, have you no thought for your lover above?"

Minseok frowned, but did not deny he thought of it. Kyungsoo held his breath.  

"It's my choice," said the mage. 

Xiumin's eye contact wavered for half a second, but he spoke with deadly acuity. "Is it?" Minseok nodded. "Then shall we do this? Give me the gem. Let's give the well what wants, huh?"

At this Minseok turned to his brother and glared. "I shall drink from it. How about you give me the gems." 

Xiumin laughed. From his pocket he pulled out the two he carried, the necklace he'd stolen off Sehun, and Changmin's cursed ring, previously carried by Minseok. He tossed the ring to Kyungsoo who caught it with an unsteady hand. 

"Fine then," said Xiumin. "Three have gathered, three shall see it through." He wasn't looking at the others but at the inlaid gemstone in the necklace he held. Kyungsoo and Minseok too each stared at the stones in their hand. 

"Well, brother?" continued the maleficar. "Think you've got it in you to save us both?"

"What does he mean?" asked Kyungsoo, suddenly confused and also afraid. 

"And here I thought you were the expert," said Xiumin. "Must have been wrong." He chortled and Kyungsoo's doubts rose prominently to the forefront of his mind. Yet even still Xiumin seemed preoccupied with the stone, with the well. He was no longer thinking truly of the others but perhaps only of what might happen soon.

Minseok answered him. "There's a reason you don't just take any one person into the temple with you."

Xiumin hummed. "Yes, must be a strong one... like you. I always knew perhaps... you might be here for me."

The brothers looked at each other with equal measure of distrust and reconciliation. "You presumed much," said Minseok.

"I presumed rightly," replied the other. 

Kyungsoo perceived the scene growing beyond his comprehension. "What do you mean?" he insisted again. To Minseok he practically snarled, "You said you would help me! Me, and not this... thing!"

To which Minseok shouted back, "This thing is my brother, and if I can save him the same as you, I will do it!" 

"Save him from what?" 

No one answered. Minseok appeared chastened, Xiumin was silent. Kyungsoo clutched at his gemstone and stared at the well, wondering if after all... it could grant anything, like in the tales. 'In my arms lies eternity,' he hummed to himself, because really... he didn't want or need actual eternity. Just life itself. And he would not share that with someone else, not after all this time. 

"What are you saving him from?" he asked again, quietly and with deadly precision. 

A twig snapped in the distance. Three pair of eyes turned sharply in its direction, for above the steady bubbling of running water came the cursing of another human being. Kyungsoo fumbled with the gem in his hand at the same time Xiumin lurched off the ground, rushing towards the well.

"Activate it!" He shouted. "Now!"

Without knowing why, Kyungsoo moved into action. Only Minseok hesitated a bare second, his gaze still on the path from which they had come. A moment later, to no one's surprise, Luhan emerged. He was drenched head to toe like all the rest, but his brow was also sweaty and streaked with mud and dirt. His templars robes were shredded unrecognizable, armor thrown down somewhere between the battle scene and now. He was panting, eyes darting wildly about the well and the three people assembled there. He stumbled towards Xiumin first, then realized his error and fell upon the ground before the other mage's feet.

"Minseok..." he croaked. "What are you... you said you might..."

"Luhan," said the mage. His voice warbled, the sound half caught somewhere in the back of his throat. He was backing away from the templar. Kyungsoo forced himself to turn away from the two and focus on the well. Xiumin was already in position, waving frantically for Kyungsoo to hurry up. 

"Luhan, I have to, you've got to understand," said Minseok.

And Kyungsoo understood only one thing: that if Minseok was a sacrifice, no way was Luhan going to let that happen. How much had he heard? Kyungsoo refused to stop and find out. He held the gem and stared at the other mage who was unwittingly an ally for the very first time. Xiumin's eyes were hooded, but his grimace was one of desperation as he fumbled above a small pedestal on one end of the well. Kyungsoo looked and saw a similar one further away. He rushed towards it, noting that there was indeed a third one close to where Minseok stood. If only he could reach it. 

"What kind of sacrifice?!" Luhan was shouting. 

Kyungsoo's heart pounded. His fingers trembled. He slammed his gem onto the pedestal, expecting something remarkable, but it only glowed. Xiumin's too shimmered faintly under the sunlight. They needed the third stone. 

"Minseok!" shouted Xiumin. 

All heads turned in his direction. Minseok's expression was pained, but he continued walking backwards, faltering only when Luhan regained his legs and came after him. The chase was slow, tortured. Kyungsoo had no time for their dramatics. The gem under his hand was beginning to grow warm, not to the point of being uncomfortable, but the temperature was increasing. By the look on Xiumin's face, he too was realizing this. He shouted again, frantically. And Kyungsoo wondered idly for the first time if there wasn't something the maleficar wanted so badly he might actually die for it. Because Kyungsoo knew that feeling. He knew it very well...

"Luhan, I'm sorry," said the mage.

Then he made a dash for the last pedestal, slammed the gemstone upon it and before their eyes began to chant. All three of the stones glowed bright, and a link burst magically between them. Kyungsoo felt it soaring through him, up from his hands which held it in place and through his body. It was life! And desire! Like the burning of the sun but it was warm and not painful, comforting, and hopeful... His skin tingled. He let his eyes close and roll back in his head. Who knew if the memories floating through his mind were something the well conjured or if Kyungsoo was just that nostalgic. But he saw his brother, the apostate, returning from his earliest adventures with a smile on his face and life in his eyes. In the next moment, he saw him dead, as only Kyungsoo had seen... far into the Deep Roads. 

And Kyungsoo refused to join him. 

"Minseok!" he cried, adding his voice to Xiumin's demands. 

He saw himself, young and destitute, an orphan, stumbling along. He witnessed himself being found by the hooded man who was not a man, and who was not in fact even alive. Gratitude mixed with hate, ripping an actual snarl from his throat. Kyungsoo screamed and the power surged through him again, stealing his eyes but accentuating the other senses. His skin was on fire, and through his ears rushed the sound of many waters. 

Come to me my child... said a voice from that void.

"Yes...." whispered Kyungsoo. He answered the well, and he thought about life. He thought about death too for knew knew this wasn't the end. Thunder crackled about them, an explosion waiting to burst. Kyungsoo braced himself and knew to hang on. He screamed, and it was deep and unearthly. It lengthened and grew afraid but he would not, could not stop it.

Come to me my child, and I will embrace you. In my arms lies--

 

 

 

 

 

Then in an instant, everything stopped. 

Kyungsoo's voice was the only thing, screaming into a silence as black as the void itself. The force of it knocked him back, upsetting the pedestal and he went skidding half a body's length away. Something was wrong...

"No!" echoed another's voice.

Kyungsoo tried to scramble, recognizing that this wasn't right. That he had to get up. He had to right the pedestal, the gem now lay on the ground. But his body moved as through soup and his limbs wouldn't cooperate. He was all at once gangly and light. His body would not be controlled. Kyungsoo blinked and looked around, shocked and now afraid at what he saw, for it was the same scene, the same well. But unlike the transition between the world above and the ruined temple, this was same temple but now truly in another plane. 

This, was the Fade. 

The echo of the well's power encircled them like a haze. Pink streaked with purple tinged with blue and green flowed from each of the ruined pedestals, connecting Kyungsoo with Minseok and Xiumin so that he felt their uncertainty; he felt their fear. 

"What... what have I done?" asked another voice, even smaller. 

Luhan knelt beside Minseok who was and clutching his head, sitting up and failing to do so like Kyungsoo had already tried. The only difference was the gemstone was not still by its pedestal. It was in Luhan's hands. 

"You... you...." said Xiumin softly, accusingly. He moaned and could not make his tongue say more. 

Static crackled through the well's halted power, images of people, of bodies, some standing, some crouching. One flashed nearby and Kyungsoo jolted to see Sehun lying on the ground just as he'd last seen him in the bubbling of the well. The static crackled again, and Suho appeared on his other side. Then he watched with great trepidation as one by one all the members of their long travelling, rag tattled party, summoned by the well's magic, appeared in the Veil. 

"Luhan," whispered Minseok sadly. "What have you done..."

 

 

 

 

 

 


3,190 words

 

I'm so sorry. I said this chapter would be the end, but alas... there'll be a final "finale" before a... surprise epilogue/ending. ^^

THANK YOU THOUGH TO EVERYBODY WHO HAS BEEN WITH ME SINCE THE BEGINNING OR WHENEVER YOU STARTED READING! I PROMISE THE LAST CHAPTERS ARE GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN!!!!! XD

Please, drop a comment or come visit me on Twitter. I even got Curious Cat