Smells Like Wolf

The Well of Emerald Waters

"Sunlight!" Baekhyun cried out, and everybody proceeded to cover their eyes for the blinding white light they'd emerged into. The entrance to the tunnel on this end was hidden behind a particularly thick patch of shrubs and overhanging vines. On the outside, as Sehun observed, it was almost impossible to tell that it was there. It was like any other rock wall beneath a jutting ridge wall and pretty cleverly designed. 

"Lovely," said Kyungsoo wryly. "I think I almost miss the dark now."

They all did for a few minutes, adjusting poorly to being underground for longer than a day. With the exception of Kyungsoo, however, it was clear that most were at least happy to be back on the road. Only dwarves and darkspawn dwelled underground with any perfect clarity of mind, Sehun thought. In fact, he'd once asked Suho about it and the dwarf had recalled how strange it was to first behold the sky. How he'd clutched the ground as if gravity might fail and he'd fall into the great blue expanse. 

It was blue today, and cloudless, no wind to give them breath and each of them stunk from the cramped, damp passageway. 

"Any chance there'll be a stream nearby?" Chanyeol sighed, still shielding his eyes from the sun as they glanced about. "Do you think we're still parallel to Lake Calenhad?"

"Let's hope we are," said Jongin. "We're low on water supply anyways. Let's see if we run into it."

They did fortunately, only a slight jog east and the feeling of the water when Sehun sunk into, shirtless and shoeless, was mesmerizing. At least until Chanyeol dived in afterwards and splashed murky water over everything. The bottom of the lake surface sunk in beneath his toes and Sehun squirmed uncomfortably, trying to gain his balance. Jongin and Baekhyun waded in separately, and that left only Kris and Kyungsoo back on dry land. They coaxed the qunari finally into joining them, specifically because Baekhyun said he wouldn't go one step further on the road with a giant that smelled as bad as him. And then it was only Kyungsoo.

In between Chanyeol laughing, and Jongin and Baekhyun flirting, Sehun glanced covertly at the smallish, darkened person of the stranger. He was sitting on the bank, resolutely not stripping more than the hood from off his shoulders. His black hair looked seriously greasy and matted, face as splotchy as ever, and he'd taken off the pair of gloves so that his hands were bare, but no more than that. Sehun wondered if his whole body was like that, ashy, contagious. Then Kyungsoo caught him looking, and instead of the glare Sehun expected to receive, he saw only blankness, Kyungsoo observing him just as casually in return. Sehun looked away quickly, sank beneath the surface of the water to rinse his hair, and when he emerged he didn't dare to look back. His heart beat a little out of turn, but he took deep, calming breaths to steady the rhythm and pretty soon, Kyungsoo was forgotten. Almost.

It was Jongin who took the first initiative. Sehun watched when a few minutes later, the leader of their party marched out of the water with a large damp cloth in his hand. Kyungsoo shied away at first until the warrior paused a foot away, merely offering it to him. 

"Here," said Jongin. "If you're not going to get in the water, then have this." 

He was rewarded with a slight, cautious smile, and Sehun instantly wished it had been him on the receiving end, not Jongin. But then, he'd yet to actually offer anything to him yet. With this in mind, he glumly arose from the lake when the others did and pretended to not notice Kyungsoo wiping his face and hair with the sopping wet rag. He did pay attention to whether any marks came off on the cloth, or if Kyungsoo's face appeared any healthier, but there was nothing. Just a slightly brighter sheen from the moisture and his hair now sat slickly against his head. Then Kyungsoo pulled his hood up again, donned his gloves, and nothing more was said on the matter. 

Sehun was halfway to putting on his shirt again when the air grew stale, stiller than even before. As if an invisible pall of smoke had entered the forest, wafting right up to the banks of the lake, and everybody noticed it. 

"Something's... weird," said Baekhyun. 

A nervous energy, curious scent. Something.

"Nothing's moving either," Chanyeol noticed. A few leaves rustled softly, but apart from that, nothing. No birds, nor animals seemed to be moving at all, hidden away in whatever cubby holes they could find. Even the few small fish near the short seemed to scatter in a hurry. A branch snapped. Something which before, everyone of them would have attributed to Kyungsoo moving in the shadows, except that he was still standing beside them, still as the rest, eyes roving curiously through the trees. 

Another branch cracked, then a few slow footsteps sounded behind the trees, as if something was approaching, something just as scared of them as they were of it.

"Who goes there!?" Jongin called out, and the footsteps paused. They waited with bated breaths a few more seconds, hands reaching for weapons at an achingly slow pace.

Again, the footsteps moved, and Sehun saw a cautious arm reach behind one of the taller trees as the barest glimmer of a person's head poked around it to see.

"Hello?" came a soft voice, scared, hesitant, lost. More of the body peered out at them, a long drawn-out face, dirty, sun-tanned skin and blond hair dripping lengthily across his forehead. He wore no shirt, and from the side of his hip, it appeared that he had no clothes at all. 

"Hello? Baekhyun echoed softly back. "Who are you?"

He didn't answer, only dipped his head more to the side to get a better view of the six figures observing him. Baekhyun suddenly smiled when the boy's hair fell to the side revealing a long tapered ear. "An elf."

"An elf that smells like a dog," whispered Kyungsoo sharply, and the boy almost recoiled behind the tree.

"Alistair would take offense at that, if he were here," said Baekhyun. He was already forgoing his bow and stepping towards the tree line, towards the boy who looked about as tall as Sehun. "What's... what's your name?"

Jongin tensed up, ready to assist if need by except he didn't seem to know how. 

Softly, Baekhyun coaxed the boy to come out from behind the tree, Sehun watching with baited breath as he gently held out his hand as if to an orphan child and then lead him closer to the water.

"Tao," is what he finally uttered, eyes dancing around somewhere between curiosity and suspicion. Beyond that, he was somewhat trusting. 

"Are you lost?" Jongin asked. Turning to the others, he directed somebody to find a set of clothes that might fit him. Sehun's wardrobe won the toss. 

"I'm, not sure?" said Tao.

The others pondered this for a while, Kyungsoo raising his eyebrows and muttering, "He's... not sure if he's lost or not? Huh."

 

 

It was all very underwhelming after the feeling of having someone sneak up on them unawares and bearing such a strange, ominous atmosphere. Sehun wished they'd had Alistair to scope him out, but after a few minutes of questioning, Jongin deemed him harmless enough.

"Where are you from?"

"The forest."

"Which forest. This one?"

"No, not this one."

"From some other forest?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Do you have family?"

"I think I did."

"And do they live around here?"

"I think they were in the forest I came from."

"And where was that?"

"I don't remember."

Tao didn't remember a lot of things apparently. He was also more reticent about answering some questions than he was others, like how he got here, what he'd been doing, if he'd seen other people, how long he'd been traveling, why he was , and even what season it was. Almost winter, and he was only shivering the tiniest bit. His skin was warm, flesh like a newborn's without any signs of prolonged exposure. His eyes though were almost feral, and his mannerisms... less than elven.

"Even Kyungsoo acts more normal than he does," Sehun caught Chanyeol whispering to Jongin. Baekhyun was currently occupied testing the boy's reflexes, a curious examination since Tao didn't quite like standing up. He crouched on the ground, or sat on the ground, legs scattered in every direction, more like a toddler than a teenager, as his body seemed to signify. 

"Like an animal," Jongin whispered back. Tao sniffed the air more than he spoke. He was leaning in close to Baekhyun, as if through his nose he could scope out more of what Baekhyun was. The red-haired elf didn't even act bothered by it. Instead, he continued asking questions, trying to narrow down if Tao was from any lost elven community or just a straggler on the road. They couldn't hear their soft conversation from this distance, but Jongin seemed especially tense every time Tao touched Baekhyun: one hand curiously poking the other elf's small biceps or exploring his ears, like he'd just discovered they were the same race.

"Curious..." said Chanyeol. 

Sehun didn't notice Kyungsoo standing next to him until the smaller individual spoke, a soft gloved hand on his elbow, diverting his attention.

"Sehun..." he said, while Sehun jumped almost a foot into the air. Kyungsoo quickly withdrew his hand. "I'm sorry. I frighten you, don't I?" He didn't back away though, something Sehun was actually kind of pleased about, despite the temporary scare.

"No... no, you don't." He didn't sound convincing, even to his ears, and Sehun smiled blandly, trying to communicate this.

Kyungsoo smiled too, his eyes still, cheeks barely moving, lips glued together. Maybe before it might have been frightening, how pale and arresting was his face, how alien and strange. It still was, just a little bit. It would have been worse though, had Sehun known nothing about him. Small facts added up in his mind, all the times Kyungsoo had been near, helping them, hiding from them, visiting with him in secret, killing beasts or... men that would have harmed him. And them. 

"Okay, just a little," Sehun amended, embarrassed by his own doubts. He distractedly at the plain rope necklace he'd worn since childhood, a comforting token that he almost never took off. The stone hanging off it was a mundane gray rock, but his grandmother had gifted it to him as a birthday present before she died. The rough surface against the tips of his fingers was familiar. Kyungsoo's gaze along his collarbones was not. He gaped, dropping his hand, and then picking it back up immediately to adjust the collar of his shirt, just a hint of a blush upon his cheeks, probably. Kyungsoo's mild smile turned into a mild smirk and then he finally, finally took a step away to give Sehun room to breathe.

"That boy, Tao," Kyungsoo spoke a little louder, enough for Jongin and Chanyeol and even Kris to hear. 

"What about him?" Jongin asked.

"He's interesting right?" He spoke like he knew something. Jongin stepped closer to listen, glancing over his shoulder to double-check that Tao was still occupied with Baekhyun. He cocked his head at Kris, begging the qunari to get closer and keep an eye on them. Then he and Chanyeol closed in ranks with Sehun and Kyungsoo. 

"What do you know? How do you know?"

Kyungsoo's eyes glistened. "I don't know. But I suspect."

"Suspect what?" said Chanyeol.

Kyungsoo sniffed, imitating the same motion that Tao was now known for doing. "He smells... different."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "You're one to talk. Like what?"

"Like a wolf." 

Jongin's jaw grew tense, Sehun's fell down. Chanyeol rolled his eyes again. 

"Why do you say that?" Jongin whispered cautiously. 

"Not a regular wolf. I'm just saying, there's something... disturbed about his whole being. I can sense it. It's more than smell, but there's a lingering magical aspect on him that's... intriguing." 

"And how do you pick up on lingering magical aspects?" Chanyeol scoffed.

Sehun, however, was already craning his neck suspiciously at Tao, still sitting on the ground speaking secretly with Baekhyun who hadn't even noticed the other four watching them, or Kris lurking behind him. Jongin seemed twice as nervous, either because of Kyungsoo's words or because of Kyungsoo's apparent know-how. 

Their short reverie was then interrupted by Baekhyun himself. The elf had gasped loudly, and the four of them gaped, stunned as if Tao had hurt him, but Baekhyun was completely alright and it was now Tao curling in on himself like he was now in danger.

"Jongin! Jongin, come here!" Baekhyun waved his hand madly into the air, not even looking in their direction. His eyes were trained on Tao who looked worried, scared, biting his lip and then part of his hand in his mouth. 

"What is it?!"

"Baekhyun, what's the matter?"

They crowded around them, Kris already standing back in shock from what had evidently been spoken.

"He... Jongin, he said he was a werewolf."

"What!" Jongin shrieked. "He's a werewolf?!"

Only Kyungsoo didn't seem excited.

"I said was, not is. That's why he can't answer anything properly. He doesn't remember clearly anything before he was turned into a werewolf."

Tao whimpered, like he was terrified of Baekhyun spilling his secrets, however, he didn't do anything to stop him. 

Jongin gulped. "Uhhm, can you perhaps... explain that?" he said to either Tao or Baekhyun, and the latter answered for him.

"He was cursed... a long time ago and... get this," Baekhyun paused dramatically. "He was just cured and turned back into an elf."

Kyungsoo frowned. "By who? Who cured him?"

Baekhyun hadn't gotten this far apparently. They peered at Tao, waiting on an answer, and the boy cowered for a moment before sitting up more upright and he sighed nervously, opening his mouth to speak. "A mage... I don't remember where I was but, he was terrifying... I thought he was going to attack me... Most people do even though I've never bothered people before!" He added this like an afterthought, intent on persuading them he was not dangerous. The mage, however, according to his tale, was. Smaller than him, with evil in his eyes, a humorless chuckle. Through Tao's story, he came alive like a fairytale villain, and how much of it was fact or just a product of Tao's frightened mind, they could not tell. Just that the mage had left him cold and alone, newly returned elf with no idea about what to do next, and besides that, he'd given Tao quite an impression of a dark sorcery.

Baekhyun had to hold onto his shoulder to make Tao even speak further, nudging him gently for more details of what he looked like, when he thought he'd last seen him, how many sunrises had it been since then, and all of that painted a further picture of there being a very powerful rogue on the loose and not that far from where they were.

"Did he have a name?" Jongin crouched down on the other side of Tao and softly asked the question.

Tao nodded, shuddered, and then hesitantly spoke out the syllables: Xiu-Min.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Minseok?" 

Luhan's soft voice trailed across his sleeping form, the templar's head inches away from the back of Minseok's neck. His breath tickled the hairs there and Minseok fought the urge to either move away or edge back closer. Alistair warmed his front, paws tangled up in Minseok's blanket, Luhan in the back. Yixing was keeping watch on the other side of the fire while the others slept. 

"Hmmm?" 

Luhan didn't answer, already halfway nodding off. 

"Luhan?" he prodded.

The man dozed a second longer before sighing awake. "What?"

Minseok laughed silently. "Nothing. You said my name, that's all."

Luhan had to think about it. "Oh. Right. I was going to ask something." Except, he didn't ask anything. Instead he shifted on the pallet, bringing him even closer to Minseok, and his hand crept onto Minseok's waist resting there gently. It reminded him of the first few nights they'd spent side by side, when Minseok was still a prisoner en route to the Circle Tower, and Luhan kept their wrists tied together at night. They were just as close now, but it was by desire and not necessity. 

"Luhan?" he prodded again, and the weight of the templar's hand responded for him, clutching his side just a tiny bit more. 

"Mmm, sorry," Luhan murmured, happily drawing his chin onto the crook of Minseok's neck. "Maybe... I just like saying your name. Your real name."

Minseok hummed, not trusting himself to respond with anything less than a crack in his voice. 

"Minseok?"

He hummed again. 

"Where do you want to go?" Luhan whispered sleepily, genuinely curiously. 

"What... do you mean?"

"I mean, if you had a choice, and you could go anywhere... where would you like to go?"

Was it hypothetical, or was Luhan really asking? Did it even matter? 

"I don't know... maybe, Tevinter? They like mages there."

Even without seeing his face, he could feel Luhan grimacing. "Hmmm, don't go there. The people from the Imperium are... odd."

"You speak like you have a bias," Minseok . "Man from Nevarra. Don't you like you northern neighbors?"

Luhan squirmed. "You caught me," and then he smiled. Minseok caught just a clip of it in his peripheral vision. 

"I don't know. Maybe Orlais, or somewhere beyond?" Minseok amended his suggestion, his dreams. 

"I've never been to Orlais," said Luhan, now snug against his back. 

They let the seconds tick on, minutes finally, and he was certain Luhan must have been asleep when he added onto his original statement. "Once upon a time I just wanted to live like normal in the Wilds... Now, I just want to be any place far away where my brother can't find me."

He startled when Luhan spoke. "Your brother? Xiumin?"

Minseok's heart started beating rapidly when he confessed, "Yes."

It could be his imagination, but he was fairly certain Luhan was wrapping around him even more tightly, protectively. "What's he like... your brother?"

"Xiumin?" he stalled.

Luhan hummed this time, urging him on, although both were near to falling asleep. Somewhere past the trees and the road he could even hear the sounds of the six werewolves snoring loudly, their desire to become human keeping them around longer than expected. Yixing vowed he would try to lead them off in the morning until he had an inkling of what could be done for the restless pack. Monstrous beasts they looked like, although on their own, no more dangerous than a pack of squabbling puppies. If threatened, they'd be a force to be reckoned with, and yet not one of them scared Minseok more than his brother did.

"Scary. Just a bit mad. Something of a genius. Cunning. Used to be a sweet kid. Before-- Did I mention he looks just like me?"

 


3,200 words

 

Happy Labor Day, for those who don't have school or work today. Me, I'm still happily unemployed and eating my Bluebell ice cream while churning out fic. 

 

 

♡ Rosie

LiveJournal | Twitter | Tumblr | Exo Tumblr