Heal Your Heart

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Marry me.”

Park Shin Hye closed her eyes briefly, letting more tears rolled down her face as she breath came out in short, uneven gasps. Just about two months ago, the person who looked exactly the same said the same words to her and at that time she was so happy and excited. But now, just in a short two months, everything changed, not the same anymore. She slowly opened her eyes again and met Ji Chang Wook’s gaze.

“Why do you do this to me? Why do you do this to yourself?” She asked painfully. “You know even if I say yes, this marriage is going to be a tragedy to both of us.” She bit her lip as she steeped her eyes low, unable to look at him anymore. “I only love Jin Wook oppa. Nothing would ever change that. You are going to regret it. I can’t give you anything in this marriage. You will only suffer together with me.”

Chang Wook inhaled a deep breath as he held her hand tightly in his. “I’m doing all this willingly and I don’t need anything in return. I don’t need anything from you. It already felt like a miracle for being able to hold you like this, looking at you like this.” He paused and smiled. “I won’t suffer because taking care of you, loving you is what I want to do all this while.”

Looking up at him again, she cried harder. “You are very stupid.”

He smiled again as he let go of her hand, moved to her face and gently caressed her drenched cheeks. “I know you don’t love me and I’m not going to force you to do so. I just want you to know that the whole marriage is meant to give you a place where you could mend your heart peacefully, let the baby grow healthily inside of you. I just want to give you a place where you can slowly heal and find yourself back.” He inhaled deeply and looked deeply into her eyes. “I know I’m not the one you want to spend your whole life with. So, I’m not going to force you anything. If one day, when you are fully recover from all the pain and you want to leave, you just need to tell me. I will let you go.”

Shin Hye gazed at him and unable to say anything. She felt her heart swell and pain with every word he said. How can it be possible that there is someone as selfless and as good as him?

Chang Wook grasped her hand and held the ring up at her. “Give me a chance to take care of you and your baby. I promise I will give you a complete family and a safe home.”

For a long moment, Shin Hye looked at him, envisioning everything he said just now. Could this really work? Could she really be this selfish and use him to mend her broken heart? She bit her lip as she slowly lifted her hand up and nodded her head softly.

Chang Wook smiled in relief before he gently slid the diamond ring on her finger. He stared at her and tightened his grip on her hand. “Everything will be okay from now onwards. I promise.”

Shin Hye leaned over and hugged him while she cried softly into his chest. She knows she will eventually hurt him but she still accept his offer selfishly.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

A week after the proposal, Chang Wook think it was about the time to inform their parents about their marriage plan. Shin Hye was already 2 months pregnant and they couldn’t drag it any longer. So, he suggests Shin Hye to ask her mother to organize a dinner for the two families and have a small gathering in her house. Of course Jin Kyung was happy because she thought her daughter is getting better and started to move on. She missed the moment both families always stay together before Jin Wook passed away. She hopes this dinner would bring everyone back like last time.

Park Seung Ryong and Jin Kyong welcomed the Ji’s family with a lovely and warm dinner. They were chatting like old times and everyone seems to enjoy it except for Chang Wook and Shin Hye. They didn’t talk much but kept exchanging glances, sending some silent messages to each other. Yoo Chun who was sitting beside his sister noticed their awkward and secret connections. He can sensed something is wrong.

After they finished the dinner and everyone proceed to the living room, Yoo Chun grabbed Chang Wook’s arm and stopped him from walking with the rest. He pulled his best friend to the corner and makes sure no one notice them.

Chang Wook stared at him with a confusion vgaze. “Wae?”

“You are hiding something from me.” Yoo Chun said very softly but loud enough for him to hear. “Something is wrong with you and Shin Hye. What happened?”

Chang Wook shook his head and let out a deep sigh. Nothing could ever hide from him. He pursed his lips and looked at him. “You will know about it soon.”

“About what? Your eyes are telling me something is going to happen soon and it’s not good. You are scaring me.” Yoo Chun said worriedly.

Chang Wook patted his shoulder and gave him an assurance smile. “Don’t worry. You just need to trust me. Everything that I’m about to do is for the sake of Shin Hye.” He said as he pulled away from Yoo Chun and made his way to the living room. Yoo Chun watched him from the back as he followed from behind with a deep sigh.

Their parents were chatting and enjoying their moment as Shin Hye was sitting beside her mother, looking at Chang Wook who just came to the living and took a seat in front of her. The whole night was a torture to her. She was so nervous because she doesn’t know when Chang Wook will tell them about everything. She knows everyone will be shocked and wasn’t sure they could handle with the shocking news.

When Chang Wook suddenly stood up of the couch and walked towards Park Seung Ryong, everyone looked at him in confusion except Shin Hye. She held her breath and clenched her hands into tight fists, getting herself prepared for what is going to happen soon. Yoo Chun straightened himself up when he saw his best friend standing in front of his father with a serious expression.

Park Seung Ryong looked at Chang Wook with a confused gaze. “Y-You… you have something to talk to me?”

Chang Wook took a deep breath before he gave him a ninety-degree bow. All the elders were surprised with his sudden action.

“Chang Wook-ah, what happened?” Ji Joon Young asked his son.

“I’m sorry that I startled all of you and I know what I’m going say later will be a shock but I’m sincerely hoping that abeonim could give me your permission and blessing.” Chang Wook started. Before he continues again, he walked to Shin Hye, grasped her hand and pulled her up. Bringing her to stand in front of her father with him, both of them looked at Park Seung Ryong nervously.

Everyone in the room widened their eyes in shock when they saw their hands entwined tightly together.

Chang Wook felt Shin Hye’s hand freezing in his and was slightly trembling. He squeezed her hand softly; assured her that everything will be okay with a warm smile. He then turned back to Park Seung Ryong and Jin Kyung who were both looked confused.

“What permission? What blessing?” Jin Kyung asked, looking at her daughter.

“I would like to get your permission and blessing to… marry Shin Hye.” Chang Wook said, loud and clear, enough to shock everyone there.

Park Seung Ryong widened his eyes as he immediately stood up. “WHAT?!” He raised his voice and looked at Shin Hye and Chang Wook murderously.

Shin Hye inhaled deeply before she met her father’s eyes. “I-I’m… getting married to… Chang Wook oppa.” She said in a shaky voice

Jin Kyung was shocked too by what her daughter just said. “You what? You want to marry Chang Wook? But Jin Wook just passed away one month ago. How could two of you…”

“I’m not going to agree with this marriage.” Park Seung Ryong cut his wife off, looking at them furiously. “This is ridiculous.” He glared at his daughter. “What were you thinking? Your wedding was cancelled because Jin Wook passed away and now you are telling me you want to marry his brother? Have you gone crazy and out of your mind?!” He shouted as he breathed heavily before looking at Chang Wook. “Even if Shin Hye is out of her mind, you should be rational. She is your brother’s fiancée. If Jin Wook didn’t die, she is already your brother’s wife now. How could you do that to your late brother?”

“Chang Wook, what are you talking about? What marriage?” Kim Sung Ryung asked her son nervously. “Shin Hye is Jin Wook’s fiancée. And you already have Min Young. How can you marry Shin Hye?”

Chang Wook inhaled sharply and ignored what his mother said. He bowed at Park Seung Ryong before looking at him apologetically. “Abeonim, I’m sorry…”

“It’s not Chang Wook oppa’s fault.” Shin Hye cut him off. She couldn’t keep quiet anymore and just let Chang Wook to take the blame. Everything he did was because of her. She took a deep breath before looking at her parents.

“I’m pregnant.” She said with tears welling in her eyes. The disappointed gaze in her parents’ eyes is killing her.

Another wave of shock fell over them upon hearing what Shin Hye said. Park Seung Ryong’s breath became heavy and ragged as the anger inside of him was like burning flame. The sudden news that his daughter had just dropped was like a bomb to him. Without able to control his emotion anymore, he lifted his hand up wanted to slap her but before he could do so, Chang Wook was faster. He pulled Shin Hye to the back and instead of slapping his daughter, his hand landed hard on Chang Wook’s face.

“Chang Wook oppa…” Shin Hye widened her eyes when the loud slapping sound echoed in her ears. Chang Wook’s face was instantly reddened. Both Ji Joon Young and Kim Sung Ryung stood up and looked at Park Seung Ryong, stunned by what he did.

Yoo Chun quickly rushed to his father and held his arm, stopping him from hurting anyone again. “Appa, please calm down.”

Park Seung Ryong stared at his son and heaved a deep breath. “How you want me to calm down? Jin Wook had only passed away for a month and she already sleep with his brother and got herself pregnant.”

Shin Hye cried with Chang Wook holding her hand firmly. He clenched his jaw as he looked at Park Seung Ryung with a stern gaze. “Abeonim, I know you are very angry and disappointed. You can scold me or do anything you want to me but please don’t insult your own daughter. As her father, you should understand her personality better than anyone. Everyone know how much she love Jin Wook and she will not do anything to betray him.”

Yoo Chun glanced at Chang Wook and then at Shin Hye. He held his breath before he spoke. “The baby is not Chang Wook’s. It’s Jin Wook’s baby. Am I right?” He asked.

Chang Wook held his best friend’s gaze for a moment before he nodded softly.

Park Seung Ryong’s breath became heavier by second. If his son didn’t hold tightly onto his arm, he might already fell down on the floor. He thought everything is over after Jin Wook passed away but things is getting worse now.  

Kim Sung Ryung walked to Shin Hye and looked at her with a grateful gaze. “You are pregnant.” She said as tears started to flood in her eyes. “Thank god. We are going to have a grandchild and it’s Jin Wook’s baby. He left a baby to you, to us.”

Ji Joon Young went to his wife and pulled her over to him. He shook his head at his wife and glanced over at Park Seung Ryong who looked extremely angry now.  

“How can you be so selfish?” Park Seung Ryong said as he stared at Chang Wook’s parents. “My daughter is only 25 years old. She is so young and she still has a long way ahead of her.” He paused and inhaled a sharp breath. “I know you are very sad with what happened to Jin Wook and I felt sorry for that but he already died. Do you expect my daughter to stay like this forever? She will meet someone else and have a new family in the future. What other people will think about her? Pregnant before marriage? A single mother?” He stopped again before looking at Chang Wook. “And you think you can selfishly solve the problem by marrying her? I’m not going to agree with this. I’m not going to approve it.”

Ji Joon Young took a step forward and looked at Park Seung Ryong. “I understand how you feel and I’m very sorry for what happened. I know it’s very unfair to Shin Hye but she is already pregnant now. What we need to do now is to solve the problem and not create another one. You know all this while we treat Shin Hye like our own daughter. We will love her and the baby unconditionally. We will pay her back with a lot of love.”

Park Seung Ryong chuckled sarcastically. “Pay her with a lot of love? I don’t need you to pay her anything. I just want my daughter back and bring her out from all this mess. I won’t let Park Seung Ryong’s daughter to be pregnant before marriage and become a single mother.”

“I will take the responsibility. I will give her and the baby a family. I will not let her become a single mother.” Chang Wook assured him.

“How? You think you can give her a family with this fake marriage?” Park Seung Ryong asked angrily. “Since Jin Wook passed away, do you know Shin Hye have been the target of the medias? Everyone were talking about her and make her look like a pity widow. If now I let her to marry you in just one month after your brother died, can you imagine how other people will think of her? Especially with her pregnant now. Should we tell people the baby is Jin Wook’s? Or yours?” He inhaled sharply as he shook his head. “This is ridiculous. I’m not going to let this happen.”

“Then what are you going to do?” Kim Sung Ryung asked. “Are you going to make Shin Hye to go for an abortion?”

Park Seung Ryong gritted his teeth before looking at Chang Wook’s mother. “If that’s the only option, I won’t hesitate.”

“You are crazy!” Ji Joon Young has enough of his friend ridiculous thinking and comments on the whole situation. “You don’t have the right to decide anything for Shin Hye. She is not a child anymore. She is an adult, a grown up woman who have her own thinking.”

Chang Wook started to panic when he saw Shin Hye’s face is getting paler by second. She has been very quiet and the tears have not stopped flowing down her eyes. All this arguments are not helping the situation and will only worsen her condition.  

As the elders continued to fight among each other, suddenly Shin Hye pulled away from Chang Wook and covered her ears with both her hands and screamed very loudly.

“AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Everyone in the living room was stunned and froze in place. Chang Wook quickly held her arms and tried to calm her down. Her body was trembling very badly and she was crying uncontrollably. Yoo Chun rushed over to his sister and looked at her worriedly.

“Shin Hye-ah…” But before Yoo Chun could finish his sentence, Shin Hye yanked her hand away and ran towards the stairs.

“Shin Hye… be careful…” Jin Kyung quickly followed her daughter and rushed upstairs with her.

Chang Wook wanted to follow too but Park Sung Ryong stopped him. “I want all of you to leave my house now.”

“But…” Chang Wook protest but Yoo Chun held his arms, looking sternly at him. “Send your parents home first.” He whispered. “Even if you insist to stay here, you wouldn’t be able to change my father’s mind. Everyone was in shock and we need time to digest it. Don’t worry about Shin Hye. I will take care of her.” He inhaled deeply when Chang Wook turned to the stairs with a worried expression. “I’ll call you later.” Yoo Chun promised him.

Chang Wook looked back to his friend before he let out a defeated sigh and walked to his parents. But before they go, he turned back and gazed at Park Seung Ryong.

“This is not a fake marriage because… I really love your daughter.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jin Kyung worriedly looking at Shin Hye who was sitting on the bed quietly without a single response to anything she said to her. Although she looked calmer now but her tears were still streaming down endlessly.

“Eomma know what you are going through now. But you can’t stay quiet like this because we wouldn’t know how to help you.” Jin Kyung said. “I know what your father say just now might hurt you but he was right. You are still young and… and the baby…”

“Eomma.”

Jin Kyung looked up at the door when her sentence was cut off by Yoo Chun.

“Let me talk to her.” He said as he slowly walked into the room.

Jin Kyung sighed deeply before she nodded and stood up of the bed. Taking one last look at her daughter, she walked out of the room, leaving her children alone.

After his mother left, Yoo Chun took a seat beside Shin Hye. He turned to her and looked at her for a long moment before he reached for her hand and grasped it gently. “Don’t keep everything inside yourself. If you are facing any problem, you can always tell oppa. Just like in the past, oppa will always stay by your side and help you. You know I’m always here for you.”

Shin Hye slowly held her head up and met her brother’s gaze. She sobbed painfully and rested her head against his shoulder. “The baby was conceived when I was in England with Jin Wook oppa. I know it was not right but at that time, we already decided to get married and that night was when I accepted his proposal. That was the only time and I never thought I would get pregnant. I only found out about it few days before Jin Wook oppa’s accident. I planned to tell him that day but I was too late.” She cried as her hand grasped tightly onto his shirt. “Jin Wook oppa will never know he is going to be a father. He will never know about it forever.”

Yoo Chun let out a deep sigh as he tightened his arms around his sister. “Then what about Chang Wook? Why did he suddenly want to marry you?”

Shin Hye pulled away from Yoo Chun and looked at him. “He just wants to help me. He knows things will become bad once appa and eomma find out about my pregnancy. It’s not his fault. It’s all my faults. I shouldn’t accept his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter