Watch Over You

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song inserted in this chap: I’ll Protect You by Ji Chang Wook. (credit to owner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj66moky13A

 

Ji Chang Wook was waiting mindlessly in the arrival hall at Gimpo Airport when he heard someone called his name.

“Chang Wook.”

He looked up and saw the smiling face of Park Min Young. He took a deep breath and forced out a slight smile before walking towards her. Before he could say anything, Min Young threw herself into his arms and hugged him tightly. He closed his eyes and let her warmth wrapped around him. He needs some support from someone anyway.

“I’m sorry for what happened.” Min Young whispered into his ear.

Chang Wook didn’t say anything and just nodded his head.

“I’m very worried about you. I know the project in Japan is very important to you but I hope I can be here for you. I’ve passed the project to Kim bujang for a temporary basis. I hope you don’t mind that I came here without asking your permission.” Min Young added.

Chang Wook opened his eyes and gently pulled away from her. He smiled slightly. “Of course I don’t mind. Kim bujang is very experienced. I’m sure he can handle the project well.” He paused and looked at her. “Thank you for coming. It means a lot to me. But don’t worry. I’m okay. There are a lot of things I need to take care of and I don’t even have the time to be sad. I need to be strong and take care of my parents. I can’t let Jin Wook worried about us.”

Min Young nodded as she smiled. “I know you can do it. The Ji Chang Wook I know is a very strong person and nothing could beat him. I’m very sure you can recover very soon. I’m glad you are okay.”

Nodding his head and let out a light smile, Chang Wook helped her to take her luggage and walked towards the elevator.

“Let me send you back to my house first. I still have something to settle for the funeral tomorrow.” He said flatly, trying to hide the pain that was still fresh in his heart. How he wished he were as strong as what Min Young think he is.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was already dinner time when Chang Wook came home. Min Young and his parents were waiting for him in the dining room. Although the foods were so delicious in front of them, but except for Min Young, no one have the appetite to eat.

Min Young took a small piece of meat and placed it into Kim Sung Ryung’s bowl. “Eomeonim, you have to eat something. Tomorrow will be a long day and if you don’t eat, you won’t have enough strength to stand for the whole day.” She said, trying to convince her to eat.

Ji Joon Young looked at his wife and sighed deeply. “Listen to Min Young and eat something. At least eat a little bit. You barely touch your food these two days.”

Kim Sung Ryung nodded softly as she slowly put the food into .

Ji Joon Young smiled slightly before he looked at Min Young. “I’m glad you are here. Your eomeonim will feel better with you keeping her accompany. You are really a sweet girl.”

“Shin Hye is a sweet girl too.” Kim Sung Ryung said sadly. “I’m so happy when they told me they are getting married. But now… she must be hurting so much.” She paused and sobbed. “She won’t be our daughter in-law and Jin Wook is gone.”

Chang Wook looked up at his mother when he heard what she said. He inhaled a deep breath as he tightened his grip on the chopsticks.

Min Young saw his reaction and felt uneasy. She wasn’t sure he reacted like that because of his mother or the person that her mother just mentioned. She knows she shouldn’t be jealous at a moment like this but she just couldn’t help it. Forcing out a smile, she continued to comfort Kim Sung Ryung.

Chang Wook couldn’t concentrate on anything and his mother’s crying is just doing him no good. He exhaled deeply before he stood up. “I’m done eating. I’ll need to be at the cemetery very early tomorrow. I think I’ll go to sleep first.” He then turned to the maid standing at the side. “Please help Min Young agasshi if she needs anything.” He instructed before looking back at Min Young and smiled slightly. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Min Young gazed up at him and faked a smile. “Okay. Have a good rest. Good night.”

“Good night.” He said as he bowed at his parents before walking towards the stairs.

Ji Joon Young noticed the disappointment on Min Young’s face. “Please don’t be angry with him. These two days have been very hard and painful for him. He is not in a good mood.”

Min Young quickly turned to him and shook her head. “I understand and I won’t mind. I’m just worried about him.”

“We are worried too.” Ji Joon Young said with a deep sigh. “Jin Wook and him have been very close. This incident will surely give him a very big impact. It needs some time for him to heal.”

“Don’t worry, abeonim. Chang Wook told me he is okay. I guess he is just tired. He said he would stay strong to take care of his family. He won’t disappoint all of you.” Min Young said as she turned to the stairs. The man she loves is not a weak person. He will overcome it. She will be there for him and she is confident that she could help him to heal. He doesn’t need anybody. She will be enough for him.

 

When Chang Wook was upstairs heading to his bedroom, he passed by Jin Wook’s room and his legs naturally froze in place. He stared at the door and a wave of sharp pain hit his chest. Since Jin Wook passed away two days ago, he never steps into his room, not even once. His mother was the one who went inside to choose his clothes and belongings that they want to bury it together with him.

He inhaled a deep breath before he walked away, back to his room. When he was inside, he locked the door and threw himself to his bed. He closed his eyes and covered it with his arm. He keeps reminding himself that he needs to stay strong. He can’t let himself to fall apart.

Just then, his phone rings and shook him off from his thoughts. He let out a soft sigh before he took the phone from the bedside table. He hit the answer button when he saw Yoo Chun’s name on the screen.

“Yoboseyo…” He answered lazily.

“I’m just calling to check on you. Are you… okay?”

Chang Wook sighed silently. He has heard a lot of this same question for the passed two days and it only make him worse. He closed his eyes again before he reply Yoo Chun. “Why wouldn’t I? I’m very busy with all the funeral stuffs and at the same time have to make sure the company is running well. I have to settle a lot of things for Jin Wook in his football club too. I don’t have any time to be not okay. So, no need to worry about me.”

“I know you need to settle a lot of things and if you need help, don’t just keep quiet. I’m always here to lend you a hand.”

Chang Wook smiled slightly. “I know. Thank you.” He replied as he slowly opened his eyes and took a deep breath before he asked the one question he wanted to know the most. “How’s Shin Hye?” He heard Yoo Chun sighed from the other side.

“Of course not good. She barely touched her food and just lock herself in the room. I try to get Ji Min to talk to her but she just refuse to say anything. Although she is tearing up but her reaction is calm. I wish she just cry out loud or scream because it’s better than she just buried it inside her heart.”

Chang Wook heaved a deep sigh too. “What do you expect from her? Jin Wook is her fiancé and she is marrying him next month. How can we expect her to be okay when all this just happen in a sudden?”

“I’m very worried about tomorrow. I don’t know how long she could stand before she break down completely.”

Turning his head to the shelf where he placed his vintage toy robots, his eyes stopped at the Smoking Spaceman robot that Jin Wook gave him on his 23 years old birthday. Yoo Chun was right. He wasn’t sure how long he could put on the strong face in front of everyone either.

“She just needs some time. It’s not easy for her.” He said mindlessly, still looking at the robot.

“Not only her that I’m worried about. It’s not easy for everyone too. Especially you.”

Chang Wook clenched his jaw, trying hard to control his emotion. “I’m okay.” He lied.

“You are not. I know how close you were with Jin Wook. I know you are hurting too. And although I know you need to be strong for your family, you still need to mend your heart and let it out. Don’t restrain yourself from being sad. It’s okay to be sad, to grieve. Do you want to talk to Ji Min? She is psychiatrist and I think she could…”

“It’s late now.” Chang Wook cut him off. He doesn’t need anybody’s help. “I need to be up very early tomorrow. I want to sleep now.” Another deep sigh was heard from Yoo Chun.

“Okay then. I’ll see you at the cemetery tomorrow.”

After Chang Wook ended the call, he put the phone back to the bedside table and pulled himself up of the bed. He slowly walked towards the shelf and took the robot that Jin Wook gave him.

~~~~~

Jin Wook: “And here… your birthday present from your lovely brother.”

Chang Wook: “The Smoking Spaceman robot that was made in Japan in 1962. Where did you find it?”

Jin Wook: “Of course it’s not easy. But it worth every single penny just to look at your smile.”

~~~~~

Tears started to well in Chang Wook’s eyes, blurring his vision. He allowed himself to slide down against the shelf and sits down on the floor. He pressed the robot against his chest and let himself to cry for the first time. No matter how hard he tried to numb the pain with the busy schedule but it just wouldn’t work. The pain was unbearable. He leaned the back of his head against the shelf and in a sharp breath, refrained from letting himself completely loose control.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was a sad and cloudy morning with everyone wearing black, holding a white rose in their hands, mourned silently in grief. Besides families and friends, there are a lot of medias there since Jin Wook was a very well known football player in South Korea. The public was shock by his sudden death. Everyone that attended the funeral today looked depressed and mourned for the loss of Jin Wook.

Chang Wook was busy greeting and accepting condolences from the people who came. Ji Joon Young and Kim Sung Ryung were so sad and Min Young was there with them the entire time. She was very presentable and calm to handle everyone who came to greet Ji Joon Young and his wife. But despite being busy taking care of them, she would still keep an eye on Chang Wook and Shin Hye. She noticed that although Chang Wook was busy with all the guests, his eyes never stop looking at Shin Hye once in a while to check on her.  She felt uneasy whenever the two of them were together.

Shin Hye was calm but her tears never stop rolling down her eyes ever since the ceremony started. Everyone felt her pain and was looking at her with a sympathy gaze. Yoo Chun and Ji Min were with her the entire time to make sure she is okay. She is very quiet and didn’t response to any of them.

After the burial ceremony was over, the guests started to place the white rose in front of the grave and pay their last respects to the young deceased. One by one of them slowly leave the cemetery.

Chang Wook makes sure his parents were doing fine before he instructed the driver to send them back. He turned to Min Young who was still with his parents. “Thank you so much for your help today. I still need to settle something here before I can go back. Can you please help me to take care of my parents? Make sure they eat something when they are back.”

Min Young hesitated for a moment as she stole a sideway glance at Shin Hye who was still standing in front of the grave. She sighed silently before she nodded. She stepped closer to him and held his hand. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of them. But you have to promise me to take care of yourself too. You looked very tired. Please come back as soon as you are done with your work here.”

“Okay.” He smiled at her. Although he didn’t say it out but he was glad that she was there today. He wouldn’t be able to take care of his parents without her help when he needs to attend to the guests.

Shin Hye was still standing right in front of Jin Wook’s grave after everyone including Jin Wook’s family left. Yoo Chun walked to his sister and looked at her worriedly. “You should go back now. It’s going to rain very soon and it’s very cold here. You will fall sick standing here like this.”

Without saying anything, she just shook her head. Tears were like rains falling down her cheeks uncontrollably. Her eyes were gazing straight at the grave with a very sad expression. Her brother said it was cold but she couldn’t feel anything. She just felt pain and all the emotions were stuck inside of her and making her suffocated. She could hear her parents and her brother keeps convincing her to go back with them but she just lost the ability to response. She didn’t want to go. She just wants to stay here, stay close to Jin Wook as long as she can.  

Yoo Chun sighed helplessly and it pained his heart looking at his sister’s endless tears. He doesn’t know what else he can do to make her feel better.

“I’ll stay here with her.”

He turned around when he heard a voice behind him. It was Chang Wook. He bowed politely at Park Seung Ryong and Jin Kyung, and thanked them for coming.

“Send your parents back. I’ll stay here and take care of her.” Chang Wook said as he walked towards them. His gaze was dull and his face was expressionless. He looked exhausted.

Yoo Chun hesitated, knowing his best friend was in a deep pain too after his brother passed away and it worried him looking at Chang Wook like this. But since all of them couldn’t convince Shin Hye to go with them, it might be better for Chang Wook to stay there with her. Both of them love Jin Wook very much. They can both share the pain and grief together. And most importantly, he knows Chang Wook care for Shin Hye a lot. He won’t let anything happen to her. She will be safe with him.

He sighed deeply before walking to his best friends and patted his arm. “I’ll leave her with you then.” He said as he glanced at Shin Hye again. “She didn’t sleep last night and didn’t eat anything. She was very quiet and refused to talk to any of us.”

Chang Wook inhaled another deep breath before he assured Yoo Chun with a weak smile. “No worries. I’ll take care of her.”  

Yoo Chun nodded before walking away from them with his parents and Ji Min.  

After they were gone, Chang Wook slowly walked towards Shin Hye, looking at her. Her tears were still flowing down and it ached his heart even more. Standing right in front of her, Chang Wook braved himself as he lifted his hand up and gently rubbed her tears away from her drenched cheeks. This was the first time he saw her crying like this.

“Don’t cry anymore. Jin Wook wouldn’t want to see you like this.” He said softly as his fingers continued to caress her cheeks gently.

Looking up at him slowly, Shin Hye bit her lip and started to sobs painfully. She don’t know why but every time when Chang Wook is there with her, she would break down easily no matter how hard she tried to control herself. Looking at his face is just like looking at Jin Wook. Although they are two different person but his face and voice somehow make her feel that Jin Wook is still there.

Her hands slowly reached out and held the collar of his coat. She looked into his eyes and another tear roll down her face. “Chang Wook oppa. Where is Jin Wook oppa?” She asked painfully. She knows she is asking some stupid question but she really wish someone could tell her what is happening now.

Jin Wook was still with her three days ago. Why in a sudden that she is losing him now? She doesn’t understand and hope all this is just a nightmare that she will wake up soon.

“He promised to take care of me. He promised to marry me and love me forever. Why did he leave without bringing me along? What am I going to do now? What am I going to do without him?” Shin Hye cried.

Chang Wook clenched his jaw tightly as he tried hard to endure the pain that his heart was suffering since he got the news of his brother passed away in a car accident. He wanted to ask the same question too. He wanted to know why did he just left like that. What are they going to do now without him? He asked him to take care of Shin Hye before he died. But how is he going to do that?

This woman that was crying in front of him now is the woman that he love so much. But she doesn’t belong to him. She belongs to Jin Wook. Even his brother is not here anymore, how can he take care of her? And he has Min Young now.

But he just couldn’t control himself when he looked at her like this. She was so sad, so weak, so fragile and he is willing to do anything just to protect this woman. He exhaled a sharp breath before he pulled her into his arms and embraced her tightly.

“I’ll take care of you.” He whispered.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

Two weeks have passed since the funeral and everyone are trying to cope with the changes in their life. Chang Wook hasn’t go back to Japan because he wanted to stay in Seoul to help his father to manage the company here. Ji Joon Young was still mourning over the loss of his son and he think it will be good for his father to stay at home with his mother. They need time to get better.

The project he was doing in Japan before the incident was now fully handled by Min Young. She went back to Japan two days after the funeral because there must be someone to take charge of the work in the company. He trust her that she could do a good job even he is not there to monitor it. He was now sitting in the car, talking to his girlfriend through the phone.

“The project is running smoothly. After we sign the contract with Mr Takayuki next week, phase one will begin after that.”

“Hmmm…” Chang Wook muttered under his breath. He used to be very concern about this project but now; he seems to lose interest in everything. Working everyday was just a method for him to drain himself into his busy life and stopped his mind from thinking.

But no matter how he tried to numb himself, there is still one thing that he cares and concern a lot. It’s not one thing but one person. He turned his gaze at the Korean National Ballet Academy through the car window. His car has been stopped outside the building for an hour. He knows Shin Hye’s class will be over around this time and he purposely came at this hour, hoping that he could see her. He couldn’t find a chance to see her after the funeral but the pale look on her fac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter