The Buried Love

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song inserted in this chap: Words My Eye Say by Tei. (credit to owner)

 

Ji Chang Wook put his pen down, shutting his eyes closed as he massaged the bridge of his nose. He let out a long sigh and leaned his back against his chair. It was almost 11pm now but he was still doing his work in his room. After graduated two years ago, he has been working very hard in his father’s company since then.  He needs to use the shortest time to learn as much as he can to help his father to manage his company. He has to be extra hardworking in order to be able to help his father. Even after he finished his work late in the office, he will still continue at home.

Just when Chang Wook was resting for a bit, someone knocked his door. He opened his eyes and exhaled a soft breath. “Come in.”

When the door was opened, his twin brother, Jin Wook came in with a wide smile. “I saw the lights in your room so I guess you haven’t sleep yet. And I’m right. You are still doing your work.”

Chang Wook smirked. “Yes. Just need to settle some documents.” Looking at his brother’s smile, he could sense something. “What you want?”

Jin Wook stepped into his room and closed the door behind him. He walked towards his brother and sits on his bed. “No wonder people said twins have a very special bonds with each other. They call it twin telepathy. When you were sick, I will feel unwell too. When I sprained my leg during practice, your leg will pain too. And like now, I don’t even need to open my mouth, you already know I need something.”

Crossing his arms across his chest, Chang Wook stared at his brother. “Straight to the point. What do you want this time?”

Jin Wook straightened his body as he smiled sheepishly at him. “I need your help.” He looked at him expectantly.

Chang Wook sighed softly. When his brother uses this gaze to look at him, he knows it will not be something simple. “What?”

“You know our nation best football player, Park Ji Sung, right? He is from my favorite football club, Manchester United. We are having a friendly match with them next week. He is bringing two of the players from MU to have a practice with us tomorrow.” Jin Wook said excitedly.

Chang Wook narrowed his eyes at him. “Tomorrow is our birthday. It’s your birthday.” His intuition told him this is not good.

Jin Wok bit his bottom lip and nodded his head slowly. “Yes, and I have promised Shin Hye that I will celebrate my birthday with her.”

“And why are you telling me all this? You should tell your girlfriend.” Chang Wook said.

Jin Wook let out a deep sigh. “I can’t. Because of the match next week, I have not seen her for almost two weeks already. I promised her no matter what, I would spend my birthday together with her tomorrow. I don’t want to break my promise.”

“I don’t think this is breaking promise. Training is very important and it’s your job, your responsibility. Shin Hye is not an unreasonable person. I’m sure she will understand if you be honest to her.” Chang Wook said again.

“I know she will understand and won’t be angry with me but I don’t want to make her sad. She was so happy when I told her I could celebrate my birthday with her. She has prepared a lot of things for tomorrow and I really don’t want to let her down.” Jin Wook told him.

Chang Wook inhaled sharply as his jaw tightened. “And you think that I could help you?”

A grin spread across Jin Wook face as he nodded. “Of course you can help me.” He raised two of fingers up and looked at his brother. “I just need two hours.”

“Two hours of what?” Chang Wook doesn’t understand what he trying to say.

“Two hours of your time… to pretend to be me.” Jin Wook said.

Chang Wook widened his eyes in shock. “What? Pretend to be you?” He inhaled sharply as he glared at his brother. “You must be insane. Do you think Shin Hye is stupid? She will recognize me right away when she look at me.” He paused for a moment to breathe. “We might look the same but you know we are not the same. The moment I open my mouth, she will find out instantly.”

“She won’t recognize you.” Ji Wook shook his head at him. “We played this game before. You pretend to be me and I sneaked out when eomma need me to go somewhere with her last time. She didn’t find out about it until now.”

Chang Wook’s head fell back with a groan. He then straightened abruptly and glared at Jin Wook again. “That time we are only 13. But now we are 23. We are not kids anymore. And that was eomma. I can still lie to her because I’m her son too. But this is Shin Hye. You are her boyfriend and I’m not.” It stings his heart when he said that. “What… what if she hold my hand, h-hug me or even… k-kiss me…? What am I going to do? This is not going to work.”

Jin Wook laughed. “This is not going to happen. She is not that initiative and she won’t kiss you. I mean… she won’t kiss me if I didn’t take the lead. And…” He paused and looked at his brother. “… we never kiss before.”

“You… you never kiss her before?” Chang Wook asked with surprise. They have been dated for 2 years now and he never thought they still haven’t kiss yet.

Jin Wook shook his head. “She was only 18 years old when we started dating. I want to take things slowly. I cherish her and I respect her.” He looked at Chang Wook with his pleading gaze. “Please help me. You just need to pretend for only two hours. She planned to have a candle light dinner at Namsan tower. So, you just need to have dinner with her and I guarantee no skinship required. Do you think I will let you touch my girlfriend?”

Chang Wook averted his gaze and sighed deeply. “I still don’t think this is a good idea. She will know it.” She will find out when she look into his eyes.

“She won’t. You just need to put your bangs down, wear my clothes and talk less in front of her. I will rush over before the dinner ends.” Jin Wook gave him a hopeful gaze. “Hyung… please help me.” He begged again when he saw his brother’s hesitated expression.

Chang Wook leaned his back against the chair as his chest expanded on a deep breath. He gazed at Jin Wook helplessly. “Two hours. If I don’t see you after two hours, I’m going to tell Shin Hye everything.” He said firmly.

“Deal.” Jin Wook showed him an ‘okay’ sign as he smiled widely.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Chang Wook took a deep breath as he looked at himself through the rearview mirror. His bangs were comb down, covering his forehead and he was dressed in his brother’s clothes. They exchanged their phone, wallet, watch, drove his car and he even wear his cologne. He chuckled and shook his head softly. He wonders how can both of them look so alike. When he went out just now, no one at home notice that he is not Jin Wook. This is the most ridiculous thing he has ever done in his life.

He keeps breathing in and out nervously as his gaze turned to the window. His car was stopped outside Shin Hye’s house. He used Jin Wook’s phone to call her just now to let her know he is waiting outside. She should be coming out anytime now. Just when he wanted to check on himself one more time, he saw her walking out from the house.

His breath was hitched in his throat the moment he saw her. She was wearing a knee length white dress with matching white heels. Her hair was loose around her shoulders with slight curls at the ends. She looked breathtakingly beautiful. He quickly opened his door and stepped out of the car, looking at her.

“Oppa…” Shin Hye called as soon as she reached in front of him.

Chang Wook cleared his throat and smiled at her awkwardly. Jin Wook reminded him for at least ten times that he have to smile more. “Y-You… you are very beautiful.”

Shin Hye smiled and her cheeks blushed slightly. “Oppa look very handsome too.” She said as she took a step closer to him. “Oppa, happy birthday.” She bit her lip and looked into his eyes. “I miss you.”

There was a moment that Chang Wook could not react at what she just said. He know those words were not meant for him but it still make his heart raced. “I-I… I miss you too.” He stuttered.

Shin Hye giggled. “We just didn’t see each other for two weeks. Why are you so nervous?”

Chang Wook rubbed his nape as he looked back at her. “Should… should we go now? You booked the table at 8pm, right? We have to be quick then.”

“Okay.” Shin Hye said.

Chang Wook opened the door for her and after she went in, he inhaled a deep breath before running towards the driver seat’s door.

Once his car was in the highway on the way to the restaurant, Shin Hye turned to Chang Wook. “Oppa, why are you so quiet today?” She asked as she leaned closer to him and held his hand.

Chang Wook’s felt his knee went weak as his body stiffened. An electric jolt tingled through him when her hand touched his. He tightened his grip on the steering and inhaled a silent breath. “I’m just tired.” The first lie for tonight.

Shin Hye pursed her lips and caressed his hand softly. “How was the training? Are you nervous because of the match next week?”

He blinked his eyes several times before he shook his head slightly. With her touching him like this, his brain couldn’t function properly. “I’m not nervous. The training went well.” He tried to ignore her closeness and focus driving on the road. Ji Chang Wook! Concentrate or both of you will be in an accident.

Shin Hye nodded as she pulled her hand away and relaxed herself against the car seat.

Chang Wook let out a silent sigh of relief as he quickly put his hand back to the steering, driving with his both hands to prevent her to hold him again.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye put a small piece of the steak into as she glanced at her boyfriend who was eating very quietly in front of her. The whole dinner was very quiet and rather weird. This is not what she imagines that will happen after two weeks they didn’t see each other. And today is his birthday. He doesn’t look as happy as she thought he would be. There is something different about him today but she just don’t know what. She gazed down at his phone when he sends another message again. This has been the fifth time for tonight. He looked at his phone more than looking at her today. She breathed in deeply as she put her knife and fork down, took her glass and sipped the water.

“Are you waiting for a call or what? You have been playing with your phone for the past one hour.” Shin Hye asked when she couldn’t stand it anymore.

Chang Wook was startled by her and quickly turned the phone around, facing the screen on the table. He cleared his throat and shook his head. “I… I was just replying some text messages to my club members. They are asking about the training schedule for tomorrow.” He lied. He was actually texting Jin Wook and asked him where is he and when he will arrive. It was almost 2 hours already and their dinner was almost finished. He is not here yet and he didn’t reply to his message.

Shin Hye looked at him and sighed softly. “Are you really that busy? Today is your birthday. Can’t you just put your training aside for a while and have a peaceful birthday dinner with me?”

He pursed his lips and looked at her for a moment. He felt his chest tightened when he saw the slight disappointment flashed in her eyes. Staring at his phone, he slowly took it and tucked it into his pocket. He smiled slightly at her. “I’m sorry.”

Shin Hye shook her head and smiled back at him. “You don’t need to apologize. I understand that your work is very important but today is your birthday. I just hope you could at least enjoy it with me.”

Chang Wook nodded, his eyes still on her. “I enjoy it. The dinner is perfect. Thank you for everything.” He didn’t lie this time. Although he felt sorry for lying to her about all this and nervous that his brother still haven’t come yet but a part of him, he was happy that he could spend a short moment together with her on his birthday.

“The dinner is not the only thing I prepare for you tonight.” Shin Hye smiled and looked at him. “This is the first time we come to Namsan Tower. Do you remember what you promise me last year on your birthday?”

Chang Wook swallowed and clenched his hand. How would he know what Jin Wook promised her last year? “I-I… I promised you a lot of things. Which one are you talking about?”

Shin Hye glared at him with her pouted lips. “You said this year you will bring me to the hilltop to watch the night view. How can you forget it?”

There was silence for the length of a heartbeat before Chang Wook smiled awkwardly at her. “Oh… t-that… of course I remember.” He paused and gazed at her. “You want to go?”

“Can we?” Shin Hye asked with a hopeful gaze.

Chang Wook sighed silently. How can he say no when she looked at him like that? He smiled again and nodded. “Can. Let’s finish up your dinner and I’ll bring you there.”

Shin Hye giggled as she moved her hand to his and grasped it gently. “Thank you, oppa.”

Chang Wook stared at their hands as he held his breath. It took him so much willpower to not hold her hand back. He cleared his throat and gently pulled his hand away from her. “I-I’m done eating. Let me go to the washroom before we pay the bill.”

“Okay. I’ll wait for you here.” Shin Hye said with a happy smile.

 

Chang Wook paced back and forth in front of the washroom anxiously as his phone was pressed tightly against his ear.

“Damn it. Answer the call, Ji Jin Wook.” He cursed under his breath.

“Yoboseyo…”

He almost jumped in joy when he heard his brother’s voice from the other side of the phone. “Yah, Ji Jin Wook. Where are you? Do you know what’s the time now? You said you would come here in two hours time. And why didn’t you reply my message?”

“Hyung, I’m sorry. The training got delayed and it just started an hour ago. I’m just having a 10 minutes break now. I don’t think I could be there on time. Please hang on for a little longer. I’ll call you back once it ended.”

Chang Wook widened his eyes and his breath became heavy. “Yah, what hang on for a little longer? Shin Hye said she want to go to the hilltop to watch the night view.”

“Then just bring her there.”

“What?” Chang Wook almost shouts at him. “How can you ask me to bring her there? Do you know what couple usually do at the hilltop? They will…” He paused and inhaled sharply. He doesn’t need to have any dating experience to know what will happen when a couple go to the hilltop. He shouldn’t have agreed to help his brother today. He wasn’t sure how long he could control himself before things get worse.

“No worries, hyung. Nothing will happen.”

Chang Wook heaved a deep sigh. “Ji Jin Wook. I’m telling you for the one last time. I don’t care what excuse you use but you have to come here immediately. I can’t…”

“Hyung, I have to go now. I’ll call you back as soon as I can. Bye.”

“Yah, Ji Jin Wook! Jin Wook? Hello? Hello?” He took his phone down and looked at the screen. “Damn it.” He cursed when his brother cut off his line. He closed his eyes and leaned against the wall.

After a while, he opened his eyes again and inhaled a deep breath. “Ji Chang Wook. Calm down and you can do it. Be honest to her if things get worse.” He breathed in and slowly walked back to their table.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Chang Wook got even more nervous when there were not many people at the hilltop when they arrived. Their car was stopped somewhere they could enjoy the beautiful night view. Both of them came out and walked to the front of the car and leaned their back against it. It was summer now but somehow the weather is cozy and comfortable.

“Wah… this is so beautiful. The city lights looked just like the twinkling stars in the sky.” Shin Hye said as she turned to Chang Wook with a sweet smile. “It looked extra beautiful with you beside me now.”

Chang Wook let out a light smile as he averted his gaze. He inhaled deeply without replying her.

Shin Hye bit her lip and slowly moved her hand to his, entwined their fingers together. He was shocked and turned back to her. When his eyes met hers, he found himself unable to tear his gaze away.

“Oppa…” She looked into his eyes before she continued again. “Why do I feel like you are very different today? Are you… not happy with something or… angry with me?” She asked cautiously.

Chang Wook parted his lips but no word could form in his throat. He wanted to tell her that the reason she felt different about him was because he is not the one she wanted to see tonight. He was indeed different, a different person. The rational side told him that he couldn’t tell her truth because he promised to help his brother. But the selfish side of him, he hopes that this moment could last longer.

He slowly curled his lips up slightly into a light smile. “I told you I’m just tired. The training… was kind of exhausting lately.” He chose to lie again. “How can I be angry with you? I just wish the clock can stop at this moment… with just you and me.” And this time, he didn’t lie.

Shin Hye smiled and her face reddened. She turned back to the front as her head leaned against Chang Wook’s shoulder, closing the gap between them. “I wish I could stay by your side like this in every year of your birthday.”

 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

Who are you looking at?
What are you thinking about?
Sometimes, I stare at the side of your face
You probably don’t know

♩ ♪ ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫

 

Chang Wook sighed silently as his eyes gazed down at her head that was leaning on his shoulder. She was so close to him that he could clearly smell her sweet scent. He clenched his jaw and a pang of guilt washed over him. He felt like punching himself in the face for being a jerk. The woman that is leaning against him now is his brother’s girlfriend. He knows he should push her away and tell her that he is not Jin Wook. But he just couldn’t control himself to stop loving this woman. Yes. He loves her. He has loved her since the day she came to his house. He will never forget the sweet smile on her face when he first saw her. But then he realized that all this while, that smile is not for him. It was meant for his brother.

He knows he is wrong but today is his birthday. He just hopes to steal a short moment of his brother’s time to be with her. Although everything is not true but for him, this moment means everything.

“Where did Chang Wook oppa celebrate his birthday today?” Shin Hye asked, breaking the silence.

Chang Wook was surprised that she brought himself up in the conversation. “I don’t know. He doesn’t usually take his birthday seriously.” He turned back to the front and inhaled softly. “When he was still studying, he will spend his birthday in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter