The Twins

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Shin Hye took one last look at him, a long lingering stare before her lips slowly curled into a soft smile. She recalled those times, those times they were together, as if it was just yesterday. Even the small memories are still so clear. No matter what, she will never forget about it. She held her head up, gazing at the bright sky and she smiled again. She smiled because she was thankful. Thankful that fate brought all of them together. She loves them, both of them.

“Eomma…”

Shin Hye looked down when the familiar sweet voice echoed in her ears. She flashed her son a warm smile. “Yes, Seung Hoon?”

“Where are we going now?” Little Seung Hoon asked, looking at her with his beautiful big eyes. He looked exactly like him, like them.

Shin Hye squeezed his tiny hand softly and smiled again. “We are going to look for your appa.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Shin Hye-ah… let’s meet your new friends.” Jin Kyung said as she kneeled down beside her 6 years old daughter. “You have to call them oppa because both of them are older than you, arasso?”

Park Shin Hye looked at her mother and then turned to her 9 years old brother, Park Yoo Chun. Her brother smiled at her and nodded, assured her that everything is okay.

This was the first time Jin Kyung brought her son and daughter to her cousin, Kim Sung Ryung’s house. They have been very close to each other since they were kids but after they have their own family, they started to drift apart. After Jin Kyung married to Park Seung Ryong, they have temporary moved to Japan to expand their business there. They came back to South Korea two months ago when their business was stable in Japan now. 

Shin Hye turned back to the front and looked at the two little boys in front of her with a confusion gaze. “Eomma, why do they look exactly the same?”

Kim Sung Ryung laughed softly as she looked at her cousin. “Jin Kyung-ah. You have to tell your princess my son’s name. She will get confuse by just looking at their face. I got confused myself sometimes.”

Jin Kyung stood up and chuckled. “I don’t even know which one is which one. How can your twins looked so alike? They are identical. I couldn’t recognize at all.”

Kim Sung Ryung laughed softly. “If you spend more time with them you will know who is who. Although they look alike but their personalities are totally different.” She said as she kneeled down in between her twin sons who were both holding a lollipop in their hands. “Chang Wook-ah, Jin Wook-ah. This beautiful girl in front of you is your new friend. Her name is Shin Hye. She just came back from Japan. Her mother said she love to eat lollipop. Give those lollipops to her as a present. Both of you are boys. You should go to greet your little dongsaeng first.”

Ji Chang Wook turned to his younger brother who was smiling at Shin Hye. He followed behind him when Ji Jin Wook started to walk towards Shin Hye.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Ji Jin Wook imnida. This is for you.” He introduced himself with a cheerful smile as he lifted his hand that was holding the lollipop up to Shin Hye.

Following what his brother did, Chang Wook greeted Shin Hye without looking at her. “Annyeonghaseyo. Ji Chang Wook imnida.”   

Both Jin Kyung and Kim Sung Ryung laughed at their children cute gestures. “So, the one wearing blue colour shirt is the older twin, Chang Wook and the red one is Jin Wook.” Jin Kyung laughed and shook her head. “I still couldn’t find their difference. They looked the same.”

Kim Sung Ryung smiled as she patted her cousin’s back. “You will get use to it soon.”

Shin Hye glanced at Jin Wook and Chang Wook before she smiled sweetly, and then looking back at Jin Wook again as she took the lollipop. “Thank you, Jin Wook oppa.” She then turned to Chang Wook and hesitated for a moment before she took the lollipop from his hand. “Thank you… Chang Wook oppa.” Although she doesn’t know why but she was scared whenever she look into Chang Wook’s eyes. He doesn’t smile and looked fierce.

Jin Wook stepped forward and held Shin Hye’s tiny hand. “Do you like to play football?”

Shin Hye shook her head and smiled. “I don’t know how to play.”

Jin Kyung laughed softly. “Shin Hye is not very good in sport. But she is very good in ballet. She started to learn around 3 years old.”

“Wow, your princess is a ballerina. She is so pretty and ballet suits her. I’m sure she will become a successful ballerina in the future.” Kim Sung Ryung said.

“Let’s go to play in the garden. I can teach you. I’m very good at it.” Jin Wook said as their hands still entwined tightly.

Shin Hye bit her lip before she turned to her mother to get permission. Jin Kyung gave her a smile with a nod. She turned back to Jin Wook and nodded too.

A wide smile spread across Jin Wook’s face as he held Shin Hye’s hand tightly and ran towards the garden.

“Shin Hye, don’t run. You will sprain your leg.” Yoo Chun shouted from behind, looking at his sister worriedly.

“Aish, this boy.” Kim Sung Ryung said as she turned to Chang Wook. “Follow your brother and make sure he didn’t hurt Shin Hye with his football.”

Chang Wook nodded and before he go, he turned to Yoo Chun. He looked at him with his expressionless face. “Do you want to come along?”

Yoo Chun glanced over to the direction where his sister ran to before looking back at Chang Wook. “Okay.”

Jin Kyung let out a soft chuckle. “I think I slowly understand what you said just now. Your younger twin looked more cheerful compared to the older one.”

Kim Sung Ryung nodded. “Both looked exactly the same but so much different in personalities. Chang Wook is very matured and calm. He always takes good care of the people around him. Jin Wook is more carefree and cheerful. He is very good in sports. He loves football a lot and his father hope that he could join the football club when he grows up.”

“What about Chang Wook?” Jin Kyung asked curiously. She doesn’t understand why but she like the older twin. Although he is only 9 years old, he gave her a sense of security.

“As I said, he is more calm and matured. Jin Wook is very good in sports while Chang Wook is very good in studies. Compared to Jin Wook, Chang Wook is more suitable to take over his father’s business when he grows up.” Kim Sung Ryung smirked. “Wae? Interested to choose one of my boys for your princess?”

Jin Kyung smiled as she turned to the direction where their children were playing in the garden. Jin Wook placed a football beside Shin Hye’s leg and teaching her how to kick the ball while Chang Wook and Yoo Chun were standing behind them, looking at them. Chang Wook’s eyes were wary and his gaze was protective. It looked like he will lunge forward anytime if Shin Hye were to fall down or get hurt.

She smiled again before looking at her cousin. “Maybe.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

12 years later…

 

The moment when Yoo Chun entered the dance room, the soft and calming sound of the ballet music began filling his ears. He smiled, looking at his beautiful sister practicing in the dance room. She is wearing a black leotard with attached skirt and her hair was tied neatly into a bun. This is how she looked whenever she is practicing ballet. She was accepted into the Korea National Ballet when she was 16 and in just 2 years, she has become one of the leading dancers now. Becoming a professional ballerina has always been her dream. After she graduate from high school end of this year, she will fully concentrate and pursue her career as a ballerina.

Shin Hye held onto the barre with her head held high, her neck and her shoulders stretched elegantly. She propped one foot up on the barre before she arched her arms over. When she heard the sound of the door close, she saw her brother holding a bottle of water, standing at the door through the gigantic mirror. She pulled her leg down from the barre and turned around.

“Oppa, you are back early today. Eomma told me that you went to Jin Wook oppa’s house to study with Chang Wook oppa. I thought you are not coming back for dinner.” Shin Hye said as she walked to the table and turned the music off. She took a face towel to wipe her sweat on her forehead. She has been practicing since this afternoon but she doesn’t feel tired at all. Whenever she is in her dance room, she feels the best. She will be having a performance next week and she will be the leading dancer of the show. This will be her first open performance and she have to nail it.   

Yoo Chun slowly walked to her and passed her the water. “Chang Wook has to accompany his mother to have dinner outside tonight. Abeonim was away for a business trip and Jin Wook will be back late. He is still practicing in the football club preparing for the match tomorrow.”

Shin Hye opened the bottle and took a big sip of the water. When the cool water flowing down , she felt the sensation soothing her raw nerves. She sits down on the floor with her back leaning against the gigantic mirror behind.

“Jin Wook oppa is not back yet?” She asked, looking at her brother.

Yoo Chun shook his head as he took a seat beside her on the floor. “Chang Wook said he wouldn’t be back before midnight. They are working hard for the match tomorrow.”

Shin Hye turned to her brother and gave him an expectant gaze. “Are you going to watch the match with Chang Wook oppa?”

“Don’t even think about it.” Yoo Chun said as he looked away. He knows what his sister wants to ask next.

Shin Hye pouted her lips as her hand grasped his arm, shaking him softly. “Oppa…” She called with her softest and sweetest voice. “Please bring me along.”

Yoo Chun inhaled a deep breath before he turned back to his sister. “Do you want me to die? Eomma will murder whoever dares to bring you out from this house. She wants you to concentrate on your practice.”

“But I’m good. I practiced everyday and you will only be going in the afternoon, right? I can still practice in the morning.” She paused and looked at him with her puppy eyes. “Please… bring me along. I really want to watch Jin Wook oppa’s match. What kind of girlfriend I am if I couldn’t even be there to support my boyfriend?” She continued to plead her brother.

Yoo Chun heaved a deep sigh. “That’s the problem. You have finals in school and performance in KNB. And with you dating Jin Wook, our parents are worried that you couldn’t concentrate on your studies and your ballet.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and turned back to the front. “If the one I’m dating is Chang Wook oppa, they won’t have this kind of worries, right?”

“Why do you say that? You know it’s not true.” Yoo Chun sighed again.

Shin Hye looked back at her brother and pursed her lips. “They always think Chang Wook oppa is more matured and know how to take care of other people. He is smart and appa said he would be a successful businessman in no time. They think Jin Wook oppa is playful and not serious in everything.”

“You know appa and eomma have nothing against Jin Wook. They love them both. Is just that you are still young and Jin Wook have to work hard for his football career. He is playing for the national team now. It’s not like we are against your relationship with him. We just want both of you to take it slowly. You are only 18 years old.” Yoo Chun tried to explain the situation to her.

Shin Hye didn’t reply him and just looked down, playing with her bracelet. There is a beautiful ballerina charm hanging on it.

Yoo Chun sighed softly before he took her hand and squeezed it softly. “I know you like Jin Wook. Everyone knows it. Since the first day eomma brought us to their house, everyone saw how both of you clicked instantly. And all of us have been very supportive since you told us that you are dating him 6 months ago. Oppa trust your decision and respect it. Don’t ever think that we don’t like Jin Wook because we all love him as much as Chang Wook. They have different strengths and they are good in their own way.”

Shin Hye turned back to him and smiled slightly. “But you do like Chang Wook oppa more, don’t you?” Since all four of them met 12 years ago, she was closer to Jin Wook while her brother was closer to Chang Wook. Maybe both of them share the same interest and their personalities are quite similar too. Both are protective, and love their brother and sister a lot.

A soft chuckle escaped Yoo Chun’s lips. “It’s not important who I like more. Most important is who you like and who makes you happy. Oppa will like whoever love and adore my little sister.” He paused and smiled. “But to be honest, I’m quite curious why you like Jin Wook so much but feel nothing for Chang Wook. You looked scared whenever you are around him.”    

Shin Hye looked at him as she shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know but whenever Chang Wook oppa is around me, I just felt uncomfortable. His expression, his eyes… it felt cold and intimidating. Do you remember last year when my exam results were not good and eomma get Chang Wook oppa to give me private classes?” She shook her head and inhaled deeply. “That time was the most stressful moment in my 18 years of life. He was so serious and he makes me breathless sometimes.”

Yoo Chun narrowed his eyes. “It’s not that bad, right? At least he really did help you to pass your exams with flying colours.”

He admit that Chang Wook is kind of cold but he just don’t know how to communicate well with other people and not good in expressing himself. He doesn’t bother how other people think about him and will not tell anybody about how he really feels inside his heart. For him, his family, his brother always comes first before himself. He won’t fight anything with Jin Wook even if he loves the thing or the person that belongs to Jin Wook. He will surrender before he even joins the competition. He might look cold outside but deep inside his heart, he is totally a different person.

“Yes, I passed beautifully but the whole experience was like training in an army camp.” She sighed thinking back about it. “But Jin Wook oppa is different. He is fun, he is cheerful, and whenever I’m around him, I felt relax and happy.” She paused for a moment and smiled shyly. She gazed down on her wrist and looked at the bracelet.

“And most importantly, he found this bracelet when I lost it.” She added.

Yoo Chun turned to her and looked at the bracelet too. He inhaled a sharp breath and he knows what his sister is about to tell him.  

“Do you remember this bracelet? Eomma got it in Rome when she went to a business trip with appa. She said she saw this ballerina bracelet in an antique shop and she fall in love with it instantly. The owner of the shop refused to sell at first but eomma can be quite persuasive.” She said as she smiled at Yoo Chun. “The owner said there was a beautiful story behind this bracelet. Very long time ago, there was a ballerina who falls in love with a rich man. They love each other very much and the man bought this bracelet to propose to her. Of course the ballerina say yes but before they could get married, the ballerina met with an accide

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter