Could It Be...

The Second Fate of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three years ago…

 

“Where are you?” Park Shin Hye asked as her grip tightened around the phone she was holding against her ear.

“Where else can I be? I told you I’m having training today. Of course I’m in the football club.”

Ji Jin Wook’s voice echoed into Shin Hye’s ear, followed with a soft sigh. Although it was soft but it was also loud enough for her to hear it and angered her more. “Training? With who? With your pretty little journalist?”

There was a long silence from the other side of the phone and only heavy breathing was heard. After a while, Jin Wook finally spoke again.

“I told you that Lee Eun Bi-sshi is the journalist who will be writing about our club for the sport magazine. She will be here with all of us until she finish the journal. I’m not the only one in the club with her. All other players are here too.”

Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh. “Really? If it’s only for the sake of writing the damn journal, then why did she took so many photos together with you and post it in her SNS account? If there are other players with her, then why she only took photo with you and not other players?” She said angrily and her voice was almost screaming.

“Yah, Park Shin Hye. What is wrong with you? Stop throwing your temper on me just because you are not in good mood. I didn’t say anything when you took photo with all those male dancers in your academy.”

“Ji Jin Wook! Don’t try to find fault on me when you couldn’t explain yourself. We are talking about you and that journalist… not me.” Shin Hye shouted back at him when Jin Wook raised his voice on the phone.

“I have nothing to say anymore. I think you need to calm yourself down and think what is your problem. The training is starting soon. I’ll talk to you again when I meet you tomorrow. Bye.”

“Yah, Ji Jin Wook! Don’t you dare to cut off my line. Ji Jin Wook… Jin Jin Wook!” Shin Hye screamed but too late, he has already ended the call. “Stupid jerk!” She shouted again as she threw her phone to the bed angrily. “I hate you!”

“Are you planning to scream down the whole house? Because if you are, I need some time to evacuate the people in the house before you do so.”

Shin Hye shoot a murderous glare at his brother when his voice filled the room. Yoo Chun was standing at the door, overheard the whole conversation. There was a mischievous smirk on his face, watching her adorable sister being so upset.

“Fighting with your boyfriend again?” Yoo Chun asked as he slowly walked into his sister’s room and took a seat beside her on the bed.

Shin Hye let out an exaggerated sigh before she turned to his brother and pouted her lips. “He cut off my line when I haven’t finish talking.”

“You did that all the time too.” Yoo Chun reminded her.

“That was different. I’m a woman. A man should be more gentlemen and admit their fault right away when his girlfriend is angry.” Shin Hye snapped.

Yoo Chun couldn’t help but chuckled. “You are very unreasonable. Your boyfriend is a well-known national football player. It’s normal that he has a lot of fans that admire him. You have a lot of fans too. You can’t be jealous with something like that.”

“I know.” Shin Hye said. “But he shouldn’t let the girl get so close to him and he didn’t even try to push her away. He even followed her back in the SNS. How can I not be jealous?” She paused and bit her lip. “I’m jealous because I care for him… I’m jealous because I love him.”

Yoo Chun smiled as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “I know. We all know how much you love Jin Wook. But he loves you too. You shouldn’t doubt his loyalty towards you.”   

“If he really love me, then why every time when we fight, he will never give in and never say sorry to me? No matter whose fault, he should be the one who apologize first.” Shin Hye said in an unsatisfied tone.

Yoo Chun smiled again. “If you want someone who always give in first and apologize to you whenever both of you are fighting, then I think you choose the wrong person. We all know Jin Wook is very stubborn. Just like you. He will not give in so easily.” He paused and smirked. “The one who will say sorry and not fight with you no matter what happen… that is Chang Wook not Jin Wook.”

The moment Chang Wook’s name echoed into her ear, all the anger she felt a while ago was now vanished and replaced with a sting in her heart. Her brother was right. Chang Wook will never fight with anybody. No matter what Jin Wook did, he will just accept and never complain. She steeped her eyes low as she pursed her lips. “H-How… is he doing in Japan? It has been two years since we last met.” She said softly.

“He is good. I heard he is doing very well in Japan. The company is doing great under his management. But it’s not surprising at all. Everyone knows how capable he is.” Yoo Chun said as he looked at his sister. “He is coming back to Seoul next month. He will stay here for three days.”

Shin Hye sighed softly as her fingers played with the fabric of her skirt. “It’s good to know he is fine. Too bad. I’ll be away to US for a performance next month. I don’t think we can meet when he come back.”

“Hmmm…” Yoo Chun nodded. This wasn’t the first time Chang Wook came back to Seoul in these two years. But every time when he is back, Shin Hye will be away for some performances and missed the chance to meet each other. Maybe this is their fate… their unlucky fate.

Taking a deep breath, Yoo Chun gave her arm a gentle squeeze before he stood up of the bed. “Don’t think too much. No matter how many girls are surrounding Jin Wook, we know he only love you. Jealous is good. It shows how much you love him too.” He smiled at her. “Don’t worry. I’m sure he will come to find you tomorrow and two of you will be good again.”

Shin Hye held her brother’s gaze and let out a soft smile before she nodded.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

“Shin Hye is jealous.” Ji Min said.

Chang Wook widened his eyes in total shock. “J-Jealous?” He shook his head. “That’s not possible.” He inhaled deeply. “You guys know our relationship is not… real. Shin Hye doesn’t feel that way for me. How can it be possible that she is jealous? She is just annoyed because… because she thinks Bo Ra is slimmer than her. Women are very sensitive with this kind of thing. She got mood swing because she gained weight.”

Yoo Chun stared at his friend and chuckled. “You might love my sister a lot but in terms of her personalities, I think I know her better. She acted exactly like that when she was with Jin Wook last time. If she is just upset because Bo Ra is slimmer than her, then what it has to do with you? She should be angry with her, not you.”

“Because… because she think I’m the one who make her fat. She said the food I cook make her fat.” Chang Wook said, still disagree with their reasoning.

Ji Min smiled and looked at Chang Wook. “You should have more confidence on yourself. Everyone can see how good you treat her. Which woman can resist such a man like you? And Shin Hye is not heartless. She might still resist to admit or to face her actual feeling for you but I’m sure she did feel something for you. That was why I told you earlier that in order to help her, you have to make her fall in love with you. And she is so much better now.”

Chang Wook pressed his lips tightly together as he shook his head again. “It’s not possible. In her heart… there is only Jin Wook. Even if she really feel something for me, it’s just because I have the same face as him.” He still refused to believe.

Yoo Chun glanced at his girlfriend, let out a small grin before looking back at Chang Wook. “Okay. Since you are so sure she doesn’t feel anything for you, let’s do an experiment then.”

“What experiment?” Chang Wook asked in confusion.

“You will know later.” Yoo Chun smiled mischievously.

“Yah…” Chang Wook panicked and felt uncomfortable with the smile on his face. “Don’t you dare doing anything stupid and provoke her already bad mood.”

The smirk on Yoo Chun’s face widened and just when he wants to say something, he saw Shin Hye walking back towards them. “Shhh… your wife is coming back.” He whispered.

All three of them instantly mute their mouth and straightened themselves on their seats.

“Is everything okay?” Chang Wook asked softly when Shin Hye sit down on the chair beside him.

Shin Hye acted like she didn’t hear his voice and didn’t look at him. Her mood was still bad and grumpy.

Ji Min glanced at them before taking the menu and passed it to Shin Hye. “Let’s take a look at the menu and see what you want to eat. The food here is quite nice.” She said with a smile.

Shin Hye nodded slightly as she started to look through the menu and didn’t say anything.

Without wanting to give up, Chang Wook cleared his throat and tried to talk to her again. “You like lamb, right? I tried before. The lamb chop is very nice here. Doctor Kim said as long as the meat is fully cooked, it’s safe for you to eat.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and continued to ignore him. She slowly looked up at Ji Min and passed the menu back to her. “I’ll take the grilled salmon with the house salad.”

“Grilled salmon?” Chang Wook creased his brows. “But… you don’t like fish. You said you feel like vomiting and can’t stand the fish smell. Are you sure you really want grilled salmon?”

Shin Hye inhaled a sharp breath and looked away. Ji Min noticed her frustration and quickly turned to Chang Wook. “Pregnant women tend to change their taste compared to the time before they were pregnant. And moreover, I think it’s good that she like fish now. Salmon contains a lot of protein and it’s good for the baby too. As long as it’s not raw then should be fine.”

Chang Wook heaved a deep sigh and gave up. He has been taking care of her and her diet for the past two months. He knows exactly what she likes and what she doesn’t. She chose grilled salmon because she was angry with him and want to act contrary to his words.

Keeping his gaze down at the menu he was holding, he managed to steal sideway glances at her. The conversation he had with Yoo Chun and Ji Min a while ago replayed in his mind. Could it be possible that what they said is true? Is Shin Hye really jealous because she thought Bo Ra is close to him? But no matter how he wish it was true, he still doesn’t dare to let himself to think that way. He doesn’t want to give himself a false hope that will lead to a big disappointment later. Once he let his hope high, he will become greedy and expect more. He should be grateful that Shin Hye didn’t push him away and let him to take care of her now.

After they had placed their order, Yoo Chun took a brief glance at his sister before looking at Chang Wook, who was drinking the water and smirked. Let’s start the experiment now.

“Chang Wook-ah, you mentioned about the yoga trainer just now. You said… she is our ex-school mate, Yoon Bo Ra?” He asked.

Chang Wook choked and almost spilled the water the moment he heard what he said. He coughed several times before looking up and glared at his best friend. And as expected, right when the word ‘Bo Ra’ came out from Yoo Chun’s mouth, Shin Hye instantly turned to her brother with her face darkened further. The way she looked at him was like a fire, flaming with anger.

Shin Hye inhaled a sharp breath as she took the glass of water up and took a big sip. She just went to the toilet for less than ten minutes and he already can’t wait to tell her brother about Bo Ra. He must be very desperate and can’t wait to see her again.

Chang Wook heard the heavy breathing coming from Shin Hye and sighed silently. So this is the experiment that Yoo Chun was talking about. It looks more like Yoo Chun is trying to murder him. Shooting him a murderous glare, he warned him to shut his mouth with his eyes.

Yoo Chun grinned, ignored his glare and continued to speak again. “You said she invited us to the reunion dinner, right? When is it? I can’t wait to see all of them… especially Bo Ra.” He purposely said the word ‘Bo Ra’ louder. “You have to let me know earlier so that I can put it in my schedule.” He then turned to Shin Hye and smiled. “Shin Hye-ah, do you remember Bo Ra? I think I told you about her before when I was in high school. She is the most beautiful girl in our class. All the boys were crazy about her. But Chang Wook was the luckiest one. She only have her eyes on him.” He added more fuel to the fire.

Chang Wook started to panic when he saw Shin Hye’s hands clenching the fabric of her skirt. He turned to Yoo Chun and gave him another death glare. “Park Yoon Chun, what are you talking about? I… I don’t even remember her when I first saw her today.” He said through gritted teeth as his eyes keeps stealing glances at Shin Hye. Her face turned slightly pale and worried him further.

Ji Min looked at Shin Hye and studied her expression quietly. Although this experiment might bring Chang Wook a big headache later but she think it was worth a try. It was very obvious that Shin Hye is jealous and the reason is because of Chang Wook. She just needs some push and someone to knock some sense into her head.

“So how?” Yoo Chun pretends like he doesn’t sense anything. “Are you going or not? But I think we should go together. It has been a very long time since we have a reunion dinner.”

Chang Wook heaved a deep sigh. He couldn’t control himself anymore and just when he parted his lips, wanted to shut Yoo Chun up, Shin Hye was faster and cut him off.

She looked at her brother and forced a smile on her face. “Of course he will go with you. Chang Wook oppa will not miss a chance to see her again. He told me they were very close in the past.”

“Really?” Yoo Chun stared at Chang Wook and couldn’t hide his smile.

Chang Wook was totally taken aback by what Shin Hye said and quickly turned to her. “I didn’t say I was close to her.” He exclaimed defensively. “I just think that we might be close in the past because she was sitting in front of us and… she always asked my help for her studies.”

Shin Hye inhaled another deep breathe before meeting Chang Wook’s eyes for the first time since they reached the restaurant. “You help her in her studies?” She let out a sly smirk. “Of course. I almost forgot that you were a very good teacher. You used to teach me too.” She paused and chuckled sarcastically. “I thought you said you doesn’t have much memory about her. But it seems like you slowly recalling everything now. But it’s not surprising that you can remember her. She is so beautiful and attractive.”

The uncomfortable sweat started to form in Chang Wook’s hands, as he felt more and more nervous by the passing seconds. He needs to explain and clear the misunderstanding before it’s too late. When he wanted to say something, it was Yoo Chun who cut him off this time.

“So it’s confirmed that you are going with me? It will be awkward if I go alone.” He said.

And before Chang Wook could reply, Shin Hye voice cut in again. “Eonnie…” She looked at Ji Min. “I think you better go together with oppa since you are his girlfriend. It’s very dangerous for a man to go to a reunion dinner with an attractive woman like Yoon Bo Ra. You have to show them that oppa was already taken.”

“Is that mean… you will also be going together with Chang Wook and show them he was also taken?” Yoo Chun cut in before Ji Min could say anything. “It will be more dangerous if Chang Wook go alone. Bo Ra might still feel something for him. I think you should come along to guard your husband.”

“Enough!” Chang Wok glowered at him, looking flustered. He totally got his point for the so-called experiment and there’s no need to prove anything anymore. Shin Hye has not fully recovered from her emotional problem yet and they shouldn’t push her to the limit.

But even he succeed to shut Yoo Chun up, it was too late. Shin Hye’s anger has already been provoked. She looked at her brother with her eyes reddened in rage. “Go to the dinner with him?” She chuckled. Her voice was soft but exasperated at the same time. “Go with him as what position? A wife? Am I his wife? We all know all this is just an act.”

Once those words slipped out from , all three of them were stunned and Yoo Chun quickly keeps his mouth shut and stared at Chang Wook. It seems like he has gone beyond the limit this time. The hurt was evident on Chang Wook’s face and heard him letting out a shuddering breath.

Chang Wook took the glass in front of him and chugged down the entire glass of water in one breath.

Shin Hye bit her lip hard, stealing a sideway glance at Chang Wook. She was shocked with what she just said too and realized her outburst has hurt him. Because he was always so soft and go easy on her, she seems to forget that he has feelings too. No matter how angry she was, she shouldn’t have said something excessively to him.

The tension of the atmosphere around them suddenly became unbearably heavy. Yoo Chun turned to his girlfriend, begging silently for her help. He understand Shin Hye’s attitude better than anybody here. When she was angry, she will say something that she doesn’t mean to. He was too childish to think that making her jealous could help them when it only makes the situation worse.

Ji Min let out a soft sigh before looking at them and smiled awkwardly. “Oh yeah. When I called two days ago, you told me the baby is a boy, right?” She asked, quickly changing the sensitive topic to a happy one. “Since you already know the gender of the baby, have you guys thought of any name for the baby yet?”

Chang Wook inhaled a deep breath before he looked at Ji Min with a light smile. “Not yet. But I’ll let Shin Hye to decide.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and continued to hold her gaze low. “I… I think it’s better to let the elders to decide the name. I will… let oppa’s parents to choose the name for the baby.”

Chang Wook slowly turned to her and the moment he saw the pale colour on her face, his chest instantly tightened. All the pain and disappointment he felt a while ago was now completely vanished. Taking another deep breath, he slowly reached out to grasp her fisted hand and caressed it softly, trying to loosen her grip. He smiled when she looked up at him.

“I’ll call appa and eomma, see when they are free and bring you back to discuss the name with them.” He said in a gentle voice.

Shin Hye held his warm gaze, unable to react for a moment. Nodding her head softly, she averted her gaze to their hands as a pang of guilt washed over her. What has she ever done to deserve such a good man like him? After what she said to hurt him just now, not only he didn’t angry with her, he just endured everything and still treats her with so much gentleness. Did her pregnancy hormones have changed her to a selfish and unreasonable ?

She suddenly felt annoyed with her own behaviour. Come to think about it, she doesn’t understand why she was so angry. He just coincidently met an old friend and he has his freedom to do whatever he wants. What right does she have to control him? She was being ridiculous for no reason.

Ji Min stared at them for a long moment before her lips slowly curled up into a soft smile. She turned to Yoo Chun and he instantly understood the message she wanted to send to him. He nodded and smiled too. They don’t even need to worry or do anything to help them. Maybe there are still a lot of obstacles that Chang Wook need to overcome in the future but with his undying love for Shin Hye, he believe Chang Wook could conquer everything and get what he want at the end. They just need time to realize how much they meant for each other.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

After they had finished their dinner, Shin Hye said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter