Chapter 3

Soul Eater

It’s hard to explain where everything begins. No one knows how it all started anyway. A lot of people believe that life begins and ends with Death. And that’s sort of true. From the beginning of time, it has been known that Death has the ability to give someone a new life or take it away from them. But most of the time, it’s the latter.

And it isn’t bad. Death isn’t bad. Death serves as a protector, a warrior, a savior. People turn to Death for help and Death has never turned a blind eye on them. People trust Death with their lives. Because Death is composed of many things but bad.

But where there is good, there is evil and although it is natural for a world to exist with these two for there should be some sort of balance, one must be able to separate it. Because evil spreads faster than anything else. It seeps into a good person’s core turning an innocent and pure soul into a rotten one.

And that’s what Death does. Death takes the evil souls to protect the good. Death fights to keep them from contaminating everything in sight.  Death saves the lives of those who are in danger from all evil so the world doesn’t turn out to be a dangerous place to live in.

And for a time, it was good. Death handled everything.

For a time.

Because evil is cunning. Evil is smart and knows how to survive. It found a way to spread even faster through wars and poverty and corruption. It multiplied into all the corners of the world until Death couldn’t handle it all alone.

So Death decided to share his gifts. Death decided that it would be better if there were people, good people, who fought alongside with him. They would be Death’s loyal and humble servants, ready to lay their lives on the line to fight against evil.

He called them meisters. They’re known to command and to lead a fight. They’re quick thinkers and intelligent and they’re very skilled in perceiving things. Their strength isn’t through their fists but what’s inside their heads making them a good match for how smart evil is.

Death also knew this wasn’t enough so he gave them weapons. Each meister is allowed a weapon to use in a fight. Meisters control their weapons, instructing them what to do and how to go about taking these souls. These weapons are strong and fast and skilled in a fight causing harm and enough damage to their enemies.

Both meisters and weapons are exceptional in their own ways and together, they make a powerful team. What makes them powerful is the link that they share. Love, friendship, determination. It varies for each team. Links between meisters and weapons help them communicate during a fight. Meisters give out their commands inside their heads and weapons can hear them, putting into action what they’re taught to do. Sharing the same passion and goal to destroy evil is what makes a meister and a weapon exceptional.

And because Death is generous, he rewards them in the end. Weapons who have gathered a certain number of souls and a witch (since witches are considered the most highest form of evil) earn a right to stand by Death’s side. They become the ultimate weapon, a scythe, that Death uses in his own fights. It is every weapon’s dream to be able to fight alongside Death. It is the highest form of honor for a weapon and only with the help of a meister can this be achieved.

Meisters are given ranks as well. A meister must rise up to three levels to be able to earn the title of becoming Death’s loyal servant. It is through them that weapons can be scythes. A weapon is just a simple tool that can never be sharpened without a meister commanding them what to do. So Death requires these meisters to train them. A meister that can help his weapon capture ninety-nine souls and a witch in that order will be able to earn a level three status.

Young meisters and weapons are trained at the academy that develops their skills until they graduate. Some form their own teams at a young age while others find them later on in life. Upon graduating, teams are scouted and dispatched on their missions and lead a life of servitude for Death.

But this system isn’t perfect for humans aren’t perfect. Humans have flaws. And even though Death has turned meisters and weapons into exceptional human beings, they’re still humans deep in their bones. Their flaws come in the form of jealousy, no matter how good they are for Death only chooses the good people, and somehow, within this system, discrimination happens. Distinguished meisters in some old and respected families who have earned their ranks as did their children and their children’s children, think highly of themselves and sees weapons as someone below them. Some weapons are no different. They see meisters as weak and lazy. They deem them useless in a fight and are only dependent on weapons to protect themselves.

Death knows these things and although it saddens him that the people he entrusted his gifts to think that way to each other, many more meisters and weapons prove that the system is still good. They coexist together in harmony and even the most lasting friendships are made between a meister and a weapon.

In the end, it’s all worth it.

In a way, Death also gives life. This new life, whether a blessing or a curse, that he bestows upon meisters and weapons are important and they’re considered as outstanding men and women in the end who fight against evil. It is a life filled with challenges and sacrifices but is also a life filled with honor.

It is a life that Sehun believes he must live in order to become a scythe so he can earn his parents’ acceptance.

And for Luhan, it is a life he must live to earn back what he has lost.