Interlude: Christmas Special [1/2]

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter
 

!! [A/N :: June 17, 2016]

This was originally posted on March 25, 2016 as a little gift after a writer's breakdown which caused a long hiatus. So I apologize if there's a huge difference between the writing style of the chapters before and after this Christmas Special. I decided to move this after the party chapters due to the fact that these chapters are in relation to those.

 

Published 160325 after the posting of the Story Background chapter.

► First off, to those who have left such lovely comments and messages from the last post I have made – thank you, so much. I do not know how else to stress how grateful, how touched, and how much you all have helped me even way before. I still sometimes feel unease of posting that because I’ve felt it was too personal to share, but I won’t deny I have since felt lighter and sharing it, along with the love and support so many showered me that I still cannot believe, have helped me greatly. So really, thank you. I apologize too for replying so many months late. I wanted this time to reply to all of you and sooner, but unfortunately, things happened and it kept getting pushed back.

► On another note, this is not an update chapter and I am still on hiatus. This was supposedly posted back the holidays as another way to express my gratitude (you all made me cry legit tears ;;;). Unfortunately, I could not finish this in time due to.. things, that have happened and is still ongoing. And it’s sadly still not done and I didn't want to drop it either. But I thought of posting the first part now because I believe I have delayed it far too back already (and it’s long enough anyway, lol). I aim to hopefully post the second part sometime next month.

- This is just a little background story to the reasons why Baekhyun received the gifts from his friends (Chapters 43 & 44), as well as a little glimpse on their separate lives; and written in the other characters’ POV since I thought why not, when the whole fic is written mainly on ChanBaek’s POV. Things here may or may not affect the future development of the story.

7.9k

 

 

For Team E.B., buying a present for someone else was never a problem any of them had to face. If they did not know what one liked, then giving the generic chocolate – those pricier brands that come in pretty packaging – was the safe way to go. Or perhaps those expensive toiletries that are also wrapped up prettily like they were only meant for display in the bathroom rather than its practical use. Or how about those scented candles that come in different shapes and sizes that look like a waste to light. At the end of the day, the price of a present is the least of their concern.

The only gifts they put time and effort of carefully choosing is between themselves. But even then, as they all already knew each other well enough, it wasn’t much of a challenge. And then Baekhyun becomes a part of their friendship, the lovely boy with a bright smile that captured all their hearts, and for some reason things change.

 

 

 

»» ♠♠♠ ««

 

Jongin

 

The kitchen was instantly filled with the deliciously aroma of home baked cupcakes the moment Kyungsoo took them out of the oven. Jongin takes a swift of the sweet scent as he entered that pulled a smile on his lips, leaning onto the counter as he watched his boyfriend ready some mint icing to decorate them.

 

It was another one of those weekends wherein Kyungsoo came to visit his home, baking an abundant amount of delectable goodies for him and his family (much to his sisters’ delight and great approval). And since they couldn’t freely go out without the worry of their relationship being exposed, still too soon they thought, it became a little routine for them to have dates in their homes instead. None of them complained either; rather, they even found it more comfortable this way. It was quite a surprise too, especially for Jongin, who was used to having dates outdoors rather than in the comforts of his own home. But it was a nice change that both was more than welcome to have.

 

As Kyungsoo began decorating the cupcakes, pastry bag in hand with a concentrated expression, Jongin’s smile far widens, full of love and joy as he watched.

 

“Would you like to try?” Kyungsoo said, noticing Jongin’s watchful eyes. “Here, c’mon, try decorating one.” He chuckles when the other scrunches his nose.

 

“I can’t guarantee a pretty looking one, be warned.”

 

Kyungsoo all but laughs, still handing out the pastry bag to Jongin as he pulled him in front of the cupcakes much to the other’s dismay.

 

“I’m sure it’ll turn out fine. Besides, I bet Baekhyun would be touched to know your efforts.”

 

And so Jongin begins decorating a cupcake, with a tongue sticking out as he concentrated with swirling the mint icing – an endearing sight for Kyungsoo. In the end, compared to Kyungsoo’s perfect swirls, Jongin’s was a messy flat one. But all Kyungsoo does is give him a smile and a kiss on his cheek for he couldn’t help himself. Too cute, he thought.

 

From then, they continue to finish the rest of the cupcakes – one set of perfectly crafted ones and another set of messy all over the place icing.

 

As they add the last touches of chocolate chips, Jongin asks a question he had been meaning to.

 

“Hey, Soo. What’s a nice gift to give Baekhyun?” he says as he tried to perfect a smiley face on one of the cupcakes.

 

“Anything?”

 

“Anything? That’s not really helpful.” Jongin looks up and is met with Kyungsoo’s fond smile as he spoke.

 

“Baekhyun is not really picky. He’s very easy to please. You can give him no more than a simple handwritten letter and he would look at you like you gave him the world.”

 

Kyungsoo places the last chocolate chip completing a smiley face. He then moves both his and Jongin’s beside each other, a pretty white box laying open ready to be used. And he speaks with a voice apparent of affection, about a friend he obviously holds dear. It makes Jongin’s heart melt for a friendship worth envying, and he, too, smiles his own, admiring a glimpse of a beautiful relationship rarely found.

 

“So anything would do fine, Jongin.” He continues, looking up with a twinkle in his eyes. “I’m sure Baekhyun would love it no matter what.”

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

Anything should be easy. Jongin could probably go out and find a gift in just a matter of minutes. He could easily ask his sisters to do the work or help him out like all the past Christmases. After all, Kyungsoo had reassured him that whatever it may be, it would be appreciated. So looking for a present should be effortless.

But Jongin saw the fond, felt the warmth that radiated out of Kyungsoo as he spoke about Baekhyun. And even if he did not understand the entirety of his words, how loving ‘anything’ – even a simple letter – is possible, Jongin decided he did not want to give Baekhyun just anything. Not just any kind of present simply because he can easily be pleased, but something he knew Baekhyun would definitely love.

 

The idea came in unexpectedly one day when the group went to have lunch to a mall faraway from university premises, a place they knew they can freely walk about without the worry of watchful eyes; one of those rare times where they could simply enjoy each other’s presence despite in the midst of a crowd.

 

 

They had passed by a bookstore then, in the insistence of Tao who was looking for a particular book. Upon entering, all of them went their separate ways, going to different sections of interest. And this is where Jongin learned something about Baekhyun.

 

He was on his way to where Kyungsoo was at, but stopped in the middle when he found Baekhyun standing in front of the Moleskine section. Baekhyun looked like a child in front of a candy shrine, eyes sparkling as he looked upon the shelves of notebooks, journals, and the like; like he did not know where to look first and gaze simply fleeting everywhere. It was amusing, to say the least. A first for Jongin, to see someone openly admire something so trivial. Perhaps it is simply because of the lights that lighted the shelves prettily, reflecting in his eyes making it twinkle.

 

What caught Jongin’s attention the most though was when Baekhyun took hold of a sketchbook, opening it in the middle with obvious care, and fingers leaving caressing touches on the smooth paper; proving to him that Baekhyun did indeed admire the brand rather than just simple lighting.

 

 

“You like Moleskine?” Jongin had asked after standing beside Baekhyun, looking through the books himself with interest.

 

“Mmm, they’re pretty.” Baekhyun hums as he continued to feel the texture of the paper, an apparent quality compared to the cheap grainy ones he has. “Simple, but pretty..”

 

“Are you getting that then?”

 

Jongin notices the sudden stop to Baekhyun’s actions; he also does not miss what seems to have turned a bittersweet smile. And he watches as Baekhyun closes the sketchbook, gently placing it back to where it had been, but also leaving a longing touch. When he looks back at Jongin, there was an odd sadness that flickered out of him.

 

“No. I have other things to prioritize.”

 

 

“Boys?” Junmyeon’s voice cuts in calling out to them.

 

In that, the conversation ends and Baekhyun is back to his usual bright self.

 

Jongin watches as Baekhyun walked up to Junmyeon with his childlike grin, the older interlacing their hands together as they went on to chat. He watches Baekhyun give Chanyeol a sweet loving smile when the taller joined in; watches as Tao skips to them with the book he had been looking for in hand and showed it to him with an enthusiasm that had Baekhyun laughing; watches as Kyungsoo and Jongdae joins them and Baekhyun’s bright smile never fading, growing even; watches as Minho came too patting him on the head and Baekhyun lights up far more.

Jongin watches Baekhyun’s happiness radiate out of him like his bittersweet smile was nothing but an imagined memory.

 

Looking back at the Moleskine sketchbook that Baekhyun once held, a smile too graces Jongin’s lips.

 

 

 

»» ♠♠♠ ««

 

Jongdae

 

The mall was crowded of people left and right; a double amount than the usual mall goers on an ordinary day on an uneventful season. Yearend sales have begun with signs and posters up the many shops and bazaars lined up in the center plaza. The month of December has yet to come, yet the Christmas season has begun.

 

Jongdae grunted as he walked past the many people, a frown etched on his features as he tried to avoid many in number while at the same time trying to catch up with his mother.

He was never fond of a big crowd, more so when he is trying to get through past everyone. But his mother was insistent on starting her Christmas shopping spree when the amount of people is still considerably far less compared to the few weeks just before the 25th of December. Unfortunately, he was part of that plan.

So here he is, much to his chagrin – going in and out of shops, stopping here and there – as he tailed behind her. But her Christmas shopping reminded Jongdae that he had yet to buy his friends their gifts.

 

 

Gift giving was honestly the least of his concerns. He was far too lazy to give it much thought and had other things he would rather focus on, like harassing someone with his never ending – very creative – mischief. But Baekhyun was different. His smiles were bright, his joy contagious. And he is pretty sure that he is not the only one who would not mind, would even love it perhaps, to be the source of the young man’s happiness. Just because Chanyeol was Baekhyun’s love interest doesn’t mean no one else can make him happy, no?

 

 

The bazaar at the plaza felt more like entering a sushi roll with the amount of people squeezing in the small square space allotted. But just like his mother whose eyes somehow were able to catch a glimpse of everything sold in stalls after stalls, Jongdae too looked around. That unlike just a while ago when he grunted pretty much every minute, he was distracted from looking for the perfect gift.

 

Unfortunately, by the time they circled the whole area, nothing was any worth of choice. There were stalls that sold colorful accessories: Nope, too girly. There were stalls that sold customized apparels: Could do, but.. Does Baekhyun like Iron Man? Nah. There were stalls that sold shoes: Asking Baekhyun’s size might give it away, so eh. Of course, it would be weird if it was not part of it, stalls that sold baked goodies placed in pretty decorative boxes: But Christmas is still pretty far away, so not that either.

Probably the best Jongdae could find that momentarily lighted him up were the stalls that sold well-made crafts: neat painted typography, printed framed graphics, and the like. The art just reminded him of Baekhyun’s – delicate and intricate. But he sulks later on, following his mother out of the cramped up space with a sigh of defeat and not the usual relief. Perhaps something else is far better.

 

 

Again he tails behind his mother, but now minus the grunts and impatient sighs, and instead takes out his phone to make a call, hoping for a little help. It takes a few rings before the other person picks up and Jongdae brightens the moment a Hello is made.

 

“Kyungsoo! Just the man I need.”

 

Please tell me this is not a prank call.

Kyungsoo said with a flat tone that had Jongdae pouting.

 

“Damn, man. Can’t I call in peace?”

 

No.

 

“Such a lovely friend.”

Jongdae rolls his eyes, yet nonetheless breaks into a grin – typical.

“Anyway, I could use some help on something, if you would be so kind~”

 

Being kind is not my forte.

A smile in his voice was apparent.

But I’ll try. What about?

 

“What’s a best gift to give Baekhyun?”

 

A laugh was heard on the other end, a lace of fondness now emanating as the other spoke.

 

You and Jongin sure are friends alright.

Kyungsoo chuckled and gave the very same answer he had given his boyfriend.

Anything.

 

“Anything? Wow, such a helpful advice.” Jongdae said scrunching his nose.

 

All he receives is another chuckle, but even if only heard through the phone, Jongdae can very well tell the warmth that weighed in Kyungsoo’s words.

 

Yes, anything.

You can give him the cheapest most meaningless gift, and he will still thank you like you have given him the best and the most worth.

Baekhyun is just that: simple and greatly appreciative of anything and everything.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

Anything should be a piece of cake. Jongdae can simply buy whatever he comes across on or even simply let his mother pick what’s best. Maybe even ask their family secretary to handle it like he had done for the past many years. But Kyungsoo’s words were heavy of meaning. It wasn’t said in an – unsure, I don’t know – ‘anything’ kind of way. And it boggles his mind thinking about it, unbelieving of such matter. Impossible, Jongdae had thought. Does everyone not have their own wish lists?

 

It was during the time yearend preparations had begun, rendering them all too busy to catch each other in the hallways let alone meet that Jongdae began to understand what Kyungsoo had meant.

 

 

It was Junmyeon’s idea: to get the locker codes of their two friends to have access to it, to send out encouraging words, expressing their support, or anything they deem the two needs. It was then that Jongdae noticed how this little, meaningless things and trivial acts, affected Baekhyun.

 

Like Baekhyun, Kyungsoo was joyed over the things he received, sporting a bright smile thereafter (even though he would close his locker with a loud bang and an obvious grunt to his face if it happened to be from Jongdae). But unlike Kyungsoo, Baekhyun’s joy was far brighter and unexplainably different.

 

Jongdae was there – when Baekhyun took out the box of band aids from Junmyeon, the packed lunch Jongin had left, the box of cupcakes, the change of clothes, Chanyeol’s little sweet notes – he had been there to witness the always bashful smile that would grace his features. He was a witness to the gentle care Baekhyun gave the items, the fond smile that tugged his lips when he read the little post-its, even the longing touch he leaves on his locker after closing it before leaving.

It was all odd, to see a person give such importance, such care, to something many of them would overlook. Yet there is Byun Baekhyun, who treasured every one of it.

 

 

So Jongdae decided he would not give Baekhyun just anything. That he will not leave his present in the hands of someone else. That perhaps just this once, he will put effort and much thought over what to give. Just to see Baekhyun’s lovely smile and treasure a gift he chose himself.

 

 

The perfect gift came in unexpectedly one day in school as he roamed around the Arts department.

 

It had been a few weeks since Jongdae’s encounter with Yongguk and his group that caused a rapid spread of rumors left and right. And he is back again at the very same spot where it all happened. He walks through the familiar hallways, past familiar classrooms, even runs into the terror group that he made brief eye contact with, and onto the familiar secluded area of the building.

 

Perhaps it sounds creepy, how well he has come to know his way around the Arts department when he has no reason to; or how he is aware of Baekhyun’s schedule – where and when. But put Yongguk and his gang into the picture, then maybe one would understand.

 

As Jongdae casually walked the hallways, students decreasing in number the farther he gets, the last he expected was to see Baekhyun in the very same classroom they were in weeks ago. He stops just by the doorway – not too close for he would like to remain hidden, yet not too far and enough for him to listen. He had no intentions of eavesdropping (as naughty a boy he is, he still knew his boundaries), but Baekhyun’s conversation with his professor piqued his interest.

 

 

“Mr. Byun,” The professor says with a tone of voice that sounded harsh, holding the bunched up pile of his student’s works, a contrast to the neat stacks of the others. However, when he looks up, he softens and sighs, “Baekhyun..”

 

“Look, I understand your situation. And I don’t mind you submitting me these separate piles of your projects. You’re a great artist, to me, that’s all that matters.” He continues, looking through the beautifully water colored paintings. “But I hope you also know that other professors are not like me. They will not let you off just because you are good at what you do.”

 

“I know, professor.” Baekhyun said, meek and apparent with defeat. “I’m sorry.”

 

“I am aware that you have other priorities. But next time, try to buy what is required, okay?” The professor sends Baekhyun a smile as he places his compiled works back in the folder it came with, and then on top of the other students’ pads. “A watercolor pad is worth an investment for you, what with how good you are in this medium.” The old man chuckles, Baekhyun mirroring the smile at a compliment rarely given.

 

 

Jongdae had not understood the conversation, all that registered in his mind was ‘finally, the perfect gift’.

 

Before Baekhyun sees him, and before anyone else catches him, Jongdae leaves. Although he bumps into Junmyeon later on, greeting the older with an odd skip in his voice, in which he receives a raise of eyebro

Please log in to read the full chapter