forty-one

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Word Count: 3382

 

 

“His friends… Yongguk.. did something to you.”

Baekhyun receives no answer in reply but the looks he receives instead were enough of an answer.

 

“That is connected to Team E.B. and that’s why you’re so adamant on protecting both me and Kyungsoo…. Right?”

 

 

As he felt Yixing’s stare at him, Minseok sighs and nods his head. He looks away from Baekhyun and without saying anything, leaves.

 

“Let’s talk.” Yixing tells him as he nods his head to follow Minseok, to which Baekhyun immediately complies as he follows suit behind.

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

They sit at an isolated bench overlooking the wide university fields. It was quiet, peaceful and only the sounds of the light breeze and the distant noises from afar can be heard. However, it was a contrast to the messed thoughts of Baekhyun as he did not know what to expect and how to take in the newfound information – their connections to each other. He never liked Yongguk but to know he did something to Minseok and Yixing?

None of them speak for a long time, simply basking in the serene air around them – Minseok had a faraway look while Yixing simply waited, Baekhyun fidgeting uncomfortable by the side.

 

 

Now a little more restless, Baekhyun tries to start; hesitantly asking one of the questions in the long list he had in mind. “So umm… Team E.B.? How do you.. know them?” He doesn’t receive an answer right away, only a few minutes later.

 

Yixing turns to Minseok asking another silent permission. This time, Minseok nods his head but still refuses to look at Baekhyun – feeling shamed of the past that he would rather not go back into now about to be unraveled.

 

“Baekhyun.” Yixing begins without turning to look at him, continuing to watch the field that was filled with students scattered everywhere, an oddly peaceful sight but a contrast to the mess of memories in his head. “Were you aware of the rumors that spread across the school a year ago? Rumors that lasted for weeks and only died down a few months later.”

 

“Rumors?” Baekhyun racks his head of past rumors he has heard of – rumored couples, scandalous acts of students, elitist fights, a fight between x and x, student and teacher relationships… no, no, and no.

Rumors were rumors; Baekhyun never paid attention to them because they are only just that – words spread out without any facts proving them. So it was only understandable that he couldn’t recall much from a year ago.. except…

 

‘Did you hear? One of the students befriended Kim Jongdae just so he could benefit their riches. Tsk. Typical of users.’

‘He ruined the relationship of Jongin and his girlfriend, said he was a third party who also aims for the spotlight in the entertainment industry.’

‘Han cheated on Park with Kim, jealous bastard I must say.’

‘Pssh—he’s only using Kim Junmyeon so his family could invest in his family’s business ‘cause it’s dying. Tsk tsk tsk. Typical poor people.’

‘He tried to seduce Kim Jongdae for financial reasons, unfortunately for him, Kim was oblivious and never cared. Heh- serves him right.’

‘He’ll steal your money if you’re not looking I heard.’

 

“You’re the person they were talking about.” Baekhyun gasps and states rather than questions, clarity filling his mind as he once again connect the dots. “You’re the one who they said befriended the big six for your own benefit. The people who said was a user who only befriends for money.”

 

“…that was you.” He follows meekly as he realized his insensitive outburst. “But all those aren’t true too… right?”

 

“No.” Yixing answered instead as he looked down his lap, smiling bitterly as he is reminded of the hardships his friend went through. “They were genuine on the friendship they formed. None of it was fake on either side – not on the six of them, not on Minseok’s.”

 

“What happened… then?” Baekhyun hesitates knowing that the topic is a rather sensitive one. “Why is it… that it’s like you don’t know each other.. anymore?”

 

This time, it was Minseok who answers – his voice laced with sadness, regret, and bitterness. “I left.”

 

“They did try to save me and clear my name, telling people that everything spread about me was a lie and all made up.. doing their best to convince them. But it wasn’t easy; people will believe what they want to believe after all. Not only did the damage end up big but our differences were also huge, people were convinced I brainwashed them.” He heaves a heavy sigh of defeat. “In the end, the only truth about the whole thing was that our family business was on the verge of bankruptcy. That was apparently enough proof that yes, I was indeed only using them to save it.”

 

“Things got complicated since then, my family’s name and their names were dragged into the problem. It was no longer just about our friendship but it was also our reputations on the line… their reputations. My family was dragged into the accusations, our name tarnished, business matters got worse.” Minseok turns to Baekhyun with a sad smile. “They refused to leave me so I had to do it. They were blaming themselves and I couldn’t take that. None of it was their fault. just happens.. you know?” a bitter chuckle.

 

“But… couldn’t you have kept your relationship with them a secret?” Baekhyun asks in wonder. They did it with him and Kyungsoo, couldn’t they have done it with Minseok too?

 

In response, Minseok shakes his head but it was Yixing who answers.

“Baekhyun, they were able to do it with you two because people knew nothing about you in the first place. There is no reason to associate you with them in any way. No reason to suspect anything about you two on them.”

 

“Minseok on other hand, with everything that went on, it was near impossible to even hide. Even his friendship with me was suspected of being user-friendly.” He scrunches his nose in distaste of the whole past. “All his friendships in general really… Oh how people can be fools and turn a blind eye.” and shakes his head in disappointment. “Due to the rumors and alleged ‘proof’, people began leaving him – in fear of being dragged into the problem or being fooled too.”

 

“But I don’t remember hearing anything about you.” Baekhyun tries to recall rumors about Yixing and Minseok, his chest tingling in pain and anger.

 

Yixing shakes his head with a chuckle. “No, there was nothing to use against me because I’m just an ordinary average student; then again, I was the only one who refused to leave. Rumors about us weren’t disproved though, that’s a pretty hard thing to do when people are already set on what to believe.. it just died down eventually and forgotten. Sort of-”

 

“Them on the other hand, they are elites Baekhyun; name and reputation is everything. The moment they see Minseok anywhere near around them, people will start speculating again. Like what happened with Yongguk a while ago – we were no names when we entered the venue but we left with whispers left and right.”

 

“Minseok has suffered enough.” He adds sadly, voice pained that Baekhyun did not miss.

 

“Oh.”

 

Name and reputation is everything. Baekhyun’s heart clenches in pain as another reality is made obvious. Team E.B. were no ordinary students, they were the sons carrying the name of prestigious family backgrounds. The lone association with them can and will already say a lot. If people finds out about him…

 

Yongguk. The flash of his name had him asking another question; anger once again brewing inside.

“What does Yongguk and his friends have to do with this then? Are they.. behind the spreading  of rumors?”

 

At the nodding of the two, Baekhyun did not think he could fear the group even more. But at the same time, a lot of things became clearer – how the two groups never clashed; that the one time they did when Jongdae saved him instantly became a hot issue after; the first time he met Team E.B., how Junmyeon and Chanyeol treated him after the incident with Yongguk, how the mere mention of his name was already enough understanding of a reason.

 

He is startled though at the sudden laughter of Yixing.

“Man, I’m still not over the fact th

Please log in to read the full chapter