thirty-four

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Word Count: 2353

 

 

Classes were dismissed and the hallways were crowded. There were students chatting and walking left and right and it was a bustle. In front of the lockers, Baekhyun stood by his reading a note he found inside. Too excited for worry, he immediately opens it up with a smile and reads; his smile growing larger by the second.

 

‘Kyungsoo packed some lunch, told me to give it to you since he has no time to pass by.’ – Jongin

 

Ever since they all agreed to get Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s locker codes barely a month ago, his locker has never been empty (besides his art materials) since. Something was almost always inside – packed lunch, a donut, cookies, bottle of juice, a box of milk or even a box of band aids curtesy of Junmyeon’s motherly medical nature. Sometimes even a change of clothes because they have caught him once walking around campus with a big paint stain on his shirt; little gifts that they excuse as ‘it reminded them of Baekhyun’ such as keychains or stickers. There are also times when it’s filled with attempted pranks of Jongdae, such as a picture of a mad clown or a printed picture of Chuckie the doll (a contrast to the plastic cockroaches and centipedes Kyungsoo got in his).

It all brought a smile to his face, all the more the little notes he received from Chanyeol, especially. They were rare, plain and simple, but they meant the world to Baekhyun. The thought that Park Chanyeol had placed effort to give him a little note, something he never imagined he would even bother doing, sent tens and thousands of butterflies to his insides.

 

‘Eat lunch. Don’t forget.’ – PCY

‘It’s cold outside. Wear a jacket.’ – CY

‘Saw your artwork. Pretty.’ – Chanyeol

‘I miss you.’ – Yeol

 

 

It was a risk truth be told, but it was less the risk than discreetly interacting out in the open. This way, they had more chances of hiding and sneaking. When a friendship’s bond has grown so tight and with the kind of situation they had, the need to communicate with each other is inevitable.

 

 

To say that Baekhyun forgot about Minseok’s warning was an understatement. He completely forgot about it – with the excuse of being distracted of his busy schedule left and right as well as daydreaming. And so, he was left nearly screaming out of shock at the hand that suddenly stole the note in his hands. Fortunately, another hand was fast enough to muffle it.

 

“Didn’t I tell you to be careful?” A voice with a hint of worry and anger harshly whispers.

 

Looking up, heart racing ten times faster than normal, Baekhyun is greeted by two familiar faces in front of him – one he has met, the other he hasn’t.

“M-Minseok?!”

 

Sighing, Minseok shakes his head, and holds out the paper back to him; not before he folds it close.

 

“I told you to be careful, remember?” He says now gently, worry etched in his features. “People could have easily looked over you and read it.”

 

After a panicked realization of his mistake, Baekhyun lowers his head in apology with an unconscious pout on his lips. Minseok was right, with the rumors brewing around campus between him and Team E.B. or at least Kim Jongdae; it won’t hurt to be doubly careful.

 

“It’s okay.” Minseok’s eyes soften and smiles at the apparently cute display.

 

Baekhyun is panicked once again when he senses the other presence beside him, the person who muffled his attempted scream. He looks up to him and freezes with eyes wide in both shock and fear.

 

The person beside him laughs at the funny expression, and looks to Minseok for a waiting explanation.

 

“Don’t worry, his a close friend of mine. You can trust him.” Minseok says as he gestures to his friend to introduce himself as well as to assure his trust.

 

“Hello. Zhang Yixing.” The said person smiles, his dimple appearing, momentarily distracting Baekhyun of his shock. “Rest assured that your secret is safe with me just as your secret is safe with Minseok.”

 

Gulping and trying to form a coherent reply, Baekhyun blinks out of his shock and greets him with confusion. “B-Baekhyun…. B-Byun Baekhyun.” He meekly nods his head in acknowledgement.

 

Oddly, Yixing’s angelic smile and eye smile (and dimple) was assurance enough for Baekhyun to slowly calm himself. It was amusing, to say the least, how a mere smile, a sincere one, can affect a person.

 

As he saw Minseok look around him as if paranoid, Baekhyun’s heart starts to beat faster again.

“Is something wrong?”

 

Minseok simply sends him a smile and says an abrupt goodbye. “Nothing, we have to go. Don’t forget to take extra precautions, okay?” and they leave just as fast as they appeared.

 

Still in a state of confusion, he looks to where they have gone to, rushing away from Baekhyun as if they’ve seen a monster. He’s grateful though and feels a little relieved – it feels good to have someone else know that you know could be trusted. At least he hopes.

 

His confusion and relief were wiped out immediately and replaced by that of fear – Yongguk and his gang were walking down the hallway getting nearer and nearer. And just as abrupt as Minseok and Yixing left, Baekhyun rushes away to the opposite direction; not after he takes out the packed lunch and makes sure his locker is sealed locked, the note tight in his hand.

 

 

 

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

Restless, that’s what they are at the moment. Restless.

 

Ever since their unexpected encounte

Please log in to read the full chapter