thirteen

I am because we are (Ubuntu) [Permanent Hiatus]
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Word Count: 1914

 

 

Ever since the unexpected trip to the seaside, Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s relationship changed physically. They were still the same in other aspects—Baekhyun talking, Chanyeol listening. All smiles Baekhyun, blank look Chanyeol. All over the place skinship loving affectionate Baekhyun and don’t-touch-me-or-I-will-glare-at-you (except Baekhyun) no care in the world nonchalant Chanyeol.

But it was obvious to their friends that the air around them has changed to that of silent friendship to silent mutual understanding with a hint of affection.

 

It made them happy, very happy in fact. The usual blank eyes of Chanyeol that they’ve come to get used to ever since his break up was now beginning to show different kinds of emotions; although small, it was there. The hints of the old affectionate Chanyeol they once knew was also slowly coming to light. And this is all thanks to the ever lively loveable Baekhyun they were glad to have included to their group.

 

 

♠♠♠

 

 

Dinner tonight was held this time at Jongdae’s place—it was a small, barely two story (five steps to the next floor) modern house with plain glass windows. A medium driveway gated by a simple wooden designed gate. Three cars, one parked outside and the rest inside. Bamboo trees decorating its walls.

 

The whole exterior surprised Baekhyun; among the houses he has visited so far of the group, only Junmyeon’s lived up to his expectations of an ‘elite’s’ house. Even Kyungsoo’s place was a mansion in itself—at least to him based on the wide front yard and pretty angel statues that greeted guests on each side of their gates.

 

The interiors were not any different but also expected. Expensive glass and porcelain figurines, different sizes of pictures frames that decorated the walls and tables, wide screen TV, and other else that were ‘you break it, you buy it’ to Baekhyun’s eyes. The whole house was just a huge contrast to Jongdae’s elite status and prominent background.

 

However, just like every house that Baekhyun visited, he couldn’t help but feel envious—his house, a one box apartment, barely had anything inside and no picture frames decorating the walls.. just cracks and peeled paint; and guilt with pity—his whole status was a vast different from theirs and they knew nothing.

 

 

Sadness and pain flashed through his eyes without permission and Chanyeol, who stood beside him and silently watched, saw it.

 

Baekhyun felt a hand on his shoulder, Chanyeol pulling him close to him to an almost hug as they waited by the front door with their other friends to greet Jongdae’s parents a ‘good evening’.

 

 

The dinner went great—Tao inviting everyone to his major’s finals end runway project, Minho and Jongdae relaying news of their successful debate competition against other universities, Jongin proudly exclaiming his invite to perform to the university’s year end festival, Kyungsoo giving Jongin a proud kiss on the cheek and proceeded to invite everyone for his family’s year end celebration, and Junmyeon’s proud story of witnessing for the first time a live birthing in the hospital he interns.

All of them had stories to tell and invites to pass, but amidst the happy chatter were two figures seated by the corner of the dining table silent.

 

“How ‘bout you two? Any plans for the end of the year?” Junmyeon, his motherly instincts kicking in, brings the whole table’s attention to the two in question.

 

Chanyeol remained silent while he munched on his dinner while Baekhyun sat with his eyes on his lap not noticing the attention has passed onto them. His mind was busy thinking of mixed thoughts you’d think he was confused—excuses to create, Christmas season means gifts to give, finals is near.

 

“Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo calls out concernedly beside him but receives no response.

 

Before anyone else could try and snap his attention, Chanyeol leans in to whisper his name and out of everyone’s sight, covers Baekhyun’s hands on his lap with his.

 

This snaps Baekhyun’s attention and immediately turns to Chanyeol still failing to realize the attention of the whole group on them. With questioning eyes, with a flash of worry that Chanyeol caught on, he looks at him.

 

At the nod of the taller’s head to the rest of the group, Baekhyun turns to the rest and was greeted by a mixed of curious and concerned looks. For a moment he was frozen and everything was quiet, not expecting the sudden shift of attention; and as his senses snaps back to reality, he flashes them a wide grin.

 

“I have two artworks that will be displayed on the year end exhibit and another art work requested by my professor.” He grins widely and proudly; worries and anxiety disappear as if it never existed.

 

This brings the same wide grins on the others’ faces and the laughter and gleeful atmosphere continues.

 

The two oldest, Junmyeon and Minho, sit silently beside each other as they watched the happy exchange. At the sight of Baekhyun bumping his forehead at Chanyeol’s chin with a happy look on the smaller and a fond look on the taller’s, they both exchange knowing looks.

 

The silent fond exchange of the two did not only catch the two oldests' a

Please log in to read the full chapter