Almost caught

A Shattered Heart

The one hour and 45 minutes journey couldn’t make me feel worse. I didn’t remember what I was doing in the plane and now I’m already in front of my house. I pushed the grand door and found dad was reading his novels in his favourite grey settee. His eyes averted to me under his small rectangular spectacles as he rises from his seat.

“Risa! You are home!” He said. I gave him a weak smile and pushes myself into his embrace. He my head, hugging me tightly, just the way I like it; feeling myself at home.

“How was Miyazaki? Your uncle and aunt are fine, aren’t they? How is Dylan?” He asked excitedly. I glance at Riyuu and he shrugs. Dad mustn’t have known the real story.

“They are good. Dylan is good. Well, for the first time I’ve seen him since I was born.”

“Oh, good to hear. I thought of stopping by at their house to see you but then Riyuu said he is going to fetch you for real. So, I just waited you here. What is happening actually? Can you two not make this old man here a statue for not knowing the actual truth? You, Riyuu. Sit here. I want some explanations.” He said. Woah, a sudden change in his voice. Dad sounds furious but he never let go of me. I sat next to him and Riyuu is sitting at the single couch next to us.

I glanced at Riyuu again and his lips pressed each other. I look away and let him explain everything but then he remains passive. Damn him! ‘You explain.’ He mouthed without leaving his eyes off me. ‘You are responsible for this.’ I mouthed back.

“Stop glaring at each other and I need a goddamned explanation!” Dad suddenly shout.

“Aunty called me to pick Risa up because Dylan has fallen for her so bad. She wanted Dylan forget about her by sending Risa away. It was a rough push-and-pull that time.” Riyuu finally said. I turned to dad and his hand tighter around me. The burning gazes in his eyes were unreadable. What is dad thinking?

“How about you Risa, did you ever have sort of feelings for him?” Dad asked, glancing down at me.

“No. I never had. I don’t know how I pull the stunts.”

Dad choke a laughter and tears pricked at his eyes. “Oh my baby girl. I’m so sorry for you. Your situation reminds me of your late mother. I remember how popular she was in our school and it got me into a brawl just to get her attentions. But yours are different. It’s a good thing you leave. We can see him one day, when he has calm down. Shori is not disappointed to hear this right?” Dad chuckles and made me startled. Dad knows? I quickly turn to Riyuu and he had a furious stare at me.

‘You push us away’ I mouthed with my eyes widened at him.

The discussion ends with dad teasing me about Shori together with me and Riyuu doesn’t seem pleased with dad’s joke. I launch into my bed and crawl under the duvet. It is so comforting… Somehow, I missed Miyazaki. That first night was something enjoyable and I watched fireworks just right from my bed. How cool is that. My eyes roam around the room and stops at the giant teddy bear that Dylan got for me.

 

The next morning, I found myself alone in the house. Dad left a note on the dining table saying he is going for work and Riyuu has left too. Great. Alone again. At least at this time, Dylan and his mom would watch over me and talk about many things. Suddenly, my email ringtone startled me. I fish out from my pajama’s pocket and the screen produced.

 

From: J. Riyuu

Sent: 3 January 2015 7:30 AM

To: Risa J.

Subject: A guest to accompany.

I need you to be at the café 5 blocks from our house. The usual place that I have always bought your milk. Meet me there at 10 am sharp.

Regards,

J.R

 


From: Risa J.

Sent: 3 January 2015 8.30 AM

To: J. Riyuu

Subject: RE: A guest to accompany.

And what do I get if I join? Any specific reason to make me follow you?

Regards,

Risa


I pressed the ‘SEND’ button. There… Why would I have to entertain his guest? It’s his guest. Not mine. Get his body in one piece after work then to settle his job with whomever he is meeting at the café. Another email came in. It is from Riyuu again.

 

From: J. Riyuu

Sent: 3 January 2015 8:32 AM

To: Risa J.

Subject: You just woke up?

I don’t have to tell you the reason is. Just follow what I have said and you will know what it is. Don’t miss the opportunity. And you just woke up at this hour? It is so unproductive lifestyle you are practicing now.

Regards,

J. R

 


From: Risa J.

Sent: 3 January 2015 8.35 AM

To: J. Riyuu

Subject: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

And it bothers you so much? It’s not like you would allow me to meet y Zone. You. Didn’t. Freaking. Allow. Remember? My lifestyle has been very productive as always but recently it has been reshuffled. And my precious time would always be studying with the members.

Regards,

Risa


Take that! I punched the button ‘SEND’ again. That would swallow a mouthful of coffee for now—if he has one. Sad to be truth that I’m damaging my own nerves when I’m at home. It is not my usual thing to stay at home in this beautiful morning and Nakajima Kento san would have been teaching Science Sociology now. Hahahah sad life..

Another ‘ping’ came again. I produced my cell and Riyuu sent another email.

 

From: J. Riyuu

Sent: 3 January 2015 8.38 AM

To: Risa J.

Subject: Your shouting

Your shouty capitals are very rude to use with someone who is older than you are. Furthermore, I’m your older brother. Have some respect, a little. Certainly no. I will never allow you to step into this building anymore. Over my dead body. Find something else to fill in your time so that it will be productive. Anything except meeting Shori ! I mean it, Risa. Don’t get under my skin.

Regards,

J. R


Ahh… Who is talking about respect now? You are telling me about respect? Yay! He is the one who should respect my privacy. I didn’t reply his email and dial Kikuchi san’s number. Riyuu said I can’t meet Shori. Not the other members. I should ask Kikuchi san if Shori is around. If he is not, then I will visit them now while waiting for 10 o’clock to strike.

Waiting for Kikuchi san to pick up and he answered after the fourth ring. “Hello?”

“Hello, Risa here. Kikuchi san, I want to ask you something.”

“Risa, hi! Yes, what is it?”

“I was wondering if Sato is there?”

“Shori eh.. Hold a sec.” He took away his phone from his ears, I can only hear people’s muttering from the other line and he is back. “He won’t be here until 2 in the afternoon. Why is it?”

“Great. I just want to make sure. You and Nakajima san will be around?”

“Yes. But we will be here up to 10.” He said. I ran into Riyuu’s room and searched for his journal if he ever wrote his schedule. “Risa?”

“Yes. Yes. Please wait for a moment.” I said and roam my hands in his drawers and found a copy of an email for his today’s schedule. Thank God! Riyuu has interviews and variety shows to do until 2 and he has one hour break around 10 to 11. Okay this should be fine. I’ll leave the building at 9.45 then.

“How about Marius and Mr. Dimple? Will they be there too?” I asked.

“Oh no. Mr. Dimple?” Kikuchi san asked, his voice sounds curious and confused.

“Ah, I mean Matsushima. If I’m not mistaken his name.” I said. Kikuchi san chuckled from the other line.

“The two of them and Shori won’t be around. Just Nakaken and myself. What is it about, Risa?”

“I will go to your usual room and wait me there! I need some help for my homework. See ya!” I ended up the call before he can answer me and quickly pack my things before the plan change. I ran into the bathroom and took a quick shower. I grabbed a pair of jeans and a white top to match in and tie my hair up into a loose bun. I grabbed my shades, my school bag, fished my sneakers from the cupboard and put it on. Hoho mighty fine Young J.R

10 minutes later, I’m already in front of JE building. I punch the security code and grab the nearest elevator to where y Zone is. I can see outside of the elevator through a glass and the elevator make a stop at the 2nd floor. A few staffs hop in and they greeted me. I squeeze myself to the corner and suddenly I spotted Riyuu at the first floor. He is heading to the elevators and I turn away; putting my shades on—hoping he didn’t see me.

I glance down and he has his arms crossed at his chest but didn’t look up. Pheww… It was close. The elevator stops at the 4th floor and I jump out of the elevator and run to y Zone’s room. The door is closed and I gave a few knocks. The door opened and the leader was shocked—seeing me in front of him.

“Hi.” I waved and gave him a girlish smile at him.  

“Risa! Hi! But Shori is not here.” He said. My face fell down. I know..

“May I come in?” I asked. He back away and let me in. It’s true. Only the leader and Kikuchi san is in the room. I can’t spot Marius, Mr. Dimple or even Sato in the room. Good. I need to calm myself and pray, hoping Riyuu is not coming to this room.

“What makes you here? And I haven’t finish my words yet you have cut the line.” Kikuchi san said, glaring at me.

“Hehe, sorry. I was rushing. And I think it is a long story to explain.” I said. Kikuchi san shakes his head and grins.

“I take it as Haru senpai (senior) doesn’t know. And you sneak out of the house. How brave you are..” Nakajima san said.

“True. And I almost bump into him when I was in the elevator. Luckily I was at the second floor and he was at first. I hope he is not coming here and I need you guys to cover me up if he does.” I said, pleading. Nakajima and Kikuchi san exchanging glances and they nod. Suddenly the room fell into silence and Nakajima san peek outside of the door. He flinched and ran to us.

“Hurry Risa. He’s coming this way! Hide in my room, behind the door. He won’t notice. Fuma, help me with her things.” He orders. I took some of my things and ran into the room as what he said. Kikuchi san took my bag and left it next to the door. The room was dark and nobody had ever thought of going inside because they can’t see much. Just a little light from the window that shines on the bed. Good thing at my spot is very dark.

As soon Kikuchi san left the room, I heard a ‘click’ sound from the main door. “Just the two of you?” Riyuu asked. Oh my god, he is here.

“Yeah. Since early morning.” Nakajima san said. I peeked a little at the small space between the door and the wall to see and Riyuu was eyeing at this room, where I’m hiding. Nakajima and Kikuchi san look utterly calm although they knew Riyuu is looking at this room.

“Are you looking for something, Haru senpai (senior)?” Nakajima san asked again.

“The staffs told me they saw my sister. Are you sure she is not around?” He asked, frowning at the two of them.

“Sure.” Kikuchi san replied.

“Very well, then.” Riyuu said and closed the door behind him. The two of them sighed as well as I am—how relieved after Riyuu left.

“Coastal is clear?” I whispered.

“Seem it is.” Nakajima san said. I slowly walked out the room just in case Riyuu might turn back and slammed the door in. I don’t want them to get in trouble for lying just to cover me up. “And asking you again, what are you doing here?”

“Hehe, help me with my homework, please…?” I clasp both of my hand together and smile goofily at Nakajima and Kikuchi san. Nakajima’s brow arches and Kikuchi san smile at me. “Why don’t you ask Shori. He will be back at 2.” Nakajima san asked.

I froze momentarily for a second and took a deep breath. “I can’t. I’m going to meet someone later on and it might take hours.”

That stupid brother of mine didn’t discuss with me about meeting his guest. He simply threw me to handle his problem whereas he knew that he is going to be busy. Nail him!