My first day in Takanabe High - Risa

A Shattered Heart

“Risa! Risa” Dylan’s voice is echoing in my head. A few taps on my cheeks and my eye lids start to open and my pupils capture the images in front of me. Dylan was in front of me and his friends were around us. I choke out more water and feeling relieved in my lungs.

Dylan let out a relieve sigh. Same goes to his other friends. He put my head on his lap with the big umbrellas sheltering us from the bright sunshine.

“Are you okay?” Dylan asked. I tried to sit up but then I felt my leg is painful. I groaned. I shift my body a little and raises my right leg. I saw blood dripping at my calf. Something must have bitten my leg.

“My leg…” I said. My voice is too soft for them to hear.

“What?”

“My leg…” I pointed at my leg. Shigeru was the nearest and he lifted my leg. His mouth formed an ‘O’, gaping at the view in front of him.

“Any of you bring Aid-Kit?” He asked. His voice sounded panic—horrified.

“What?” The other guy asked.

“She is bleeding. There is a huge cut at her leg. Get her an Aid-Kit first to stop the bleeding.” Said Shigeru.

“Give me my bag.” Dylan said. His friend passed him his sport bag and he took out a towel and tossed at Shigeru. Shigeru rubs the sand away and covers the cut. Dylan carried me in his arms as I slung my hands around his neck. “I’ll be back. You guys stay here or maybe go back home.”

“I’ll send your bags to your home, Dylan-kun.” One of the girls said. They started to pack their things and Dylan carried me to the nearest clinic. I didn’t realise Shigeru was following us from behind. He looked so worried.

“Are you okay, Dylan? You can swap with me.” Shigeru said. Dylan turned around and his eyes were burning and intense. He is gawking at him. Shigeru’s expression changed from worried to.. I don’t know. I can’t read his face. They were staring at each other for a moment and Dylan brought me away from Shigeru. Shigeru left behind with his eyes still locked at us.

 

Dylan laid me on the bed and I moved onto my left. The doctor examine my leg and he ordered his nurse to clean the blood with some medicine. “This is big. It need some stitches.” Said the doctor.

“Does it give any harm to her? I mean poison or something?” Dylan asked.

“No. I believe no. But if any weird symptoms, please attach to ER.” The doctor said. I hope it is just a normal bite. I don’t want to get admitted or dying because of poison’s from sea creatures.

After several while, the stitching is done and the doctor told me to walk slowly. I walk slowly as he said and approach Dylan, who is waiting at the corner of the room. Dylan made me sit and he grabbed some painkillers from the doctor and went back to where I am.

“Can you walk?” He asked. I nodded my head. He offers his hand and I grab it—helping me stand on my feet. I held the pain deeply inside but my face couldn’t hide it well. My eyes crunched and my eyebrows were nearly attach. Dylan saw my face and bent down in front of me.

“Hop on. Faster…” He muttered. I slung my arms at his neck and buried my face in his sculptered back.

“Sorry…” I said. Suddenly my eyes started to pool and weep in his shirt.

“You should. You made me worried and I have died a thousand death!”

“I didn’t know my leg will cramp and I was too panic.”

“It was already done. Just let go. Mom would be freaking worried about you.”

 

As what Dylan said, Aunt Aya is really worried about me. She was pacing in the living hall and when Dylan shut the door behind us, she ran to help me walk. “What happen?” She asked soon after I took a seat.

“Legs cramped, something bite and got stitches.” I said. The blood in her face drained out as I mentioned something bite. She took a look at the wound and turned back to me, my hair.

“Praise the Lord that you are fine. Mighty fine. I’m so worried. I need to tell your father.” She said and was about to raise from the couch but I stopped her; grabbing her apron.

“Please don’t.” I shake my head. “Daddy has so many things to worry about. Don’t bother him with my situation.”

She is hesitating but then nodded her head with an assuring smile. “Go and rest in your room.” She said. I nodded again and smile at her. “Dylan baby, help Risa to her room.”

“Yes, mom.”

Dylan helped me up and I thanked him after he gave me a set of pajamas. He went to the toilet to let me change and a few minutes later he walked out, grabbing the wet clothes and toss them into the basket. Dylan pulled the comforter above me and switched on the bedside lamp.

I don’t understand why he is suddenly kind to me but he was scowling a few hours ago. I can’t read what he is thinking and he is very obtuse at every conclusions that I have made.

“Goodnight.” He said.

“Dylan, why are you so kind to me? At first, you were so cold and I saw you were glowering at me when I talk to Shigeru. Why are you so..” I stop, trying to find a word. “Complicating?”

“You don’t have to know. Night.” He said in Korean. He didn’t answer me! Ugh… But why? Did I just do something that offends him?

 


Today is my first day in Takanabe. Sadly, I didn’t get into the same class as Dylan but still I’m awkward with this new environment. The students in my class starred at me for a long time and it gave me goosebumps. I’m still a human right?

“Hello, my name is J.Risa. You can call me, Risa. Hope we can be friends.” I said. The girls in front of me blinked her eyes rapidly as if I’m a weird creature.

“Wahhh, she really speaks Tokyo dialect.”

Eh?

The teacher showed me my table and I greeted the boy sitting next to me. “Hi, my name is Miki. Looking forward for your guidance.” He said. I bowed a little.

“Me too.” 

“Sorry about the stares. They are hyperactive sometimes. Hahah” He chuckled. It was awkward but I forced myself to laugh a little.

During recess, Dylan showed me around the school and to my surprise, some of the girls were glaring at me. I supposed they are his fans and I just intrude their lovely’s. I don’t care as long as they don’t disturb me if not it will be a major problem if I get into a fight.

“That will be the last.” He said. We are standing near the outdoor swimming pool. We walked out, found the first vendor machine, and bought some snacks.

“Hey, looks like I will get in trouble very soon.” I started

“What are you talking about?”

“Your fans are aiming me. I think sitting or walking together is not the best thing for them to see.”

“Ignore them. I have to if not my mother will scold me. And in fact, you are my cousin. I believe we won’t be stuck together. You know what I mean…”

Of course. And definitely won’t. Because I just….. I already have someone in my mind. Dylan said he has something to do and went out of the room. I walked into the indoor swimming pool and stroll around and suddenly I heard footsteps approaching me.

“Hey. New student!”

I turned around and found a few of girls, crossing their arms and seemed they are the school diva. The way they dress up is some sort of a fashionista. I stood up from squatting and faced them.

“I have a name you know.” I said.

“Oh yeah? Do we like we care if you don’t?”

The girl at my left suddenly pushed me at my shoulder. “Hey.” And she really got me stumbled. “Do you think what you are doing now is the best that you could? Get off from him!”

….?

“Kobayashi Dylan!” The girl on my right shouted.

“What’s with him?” I asked.

“Wow. You have guts to ask us back? Hey, . Stay away from Dylan. Mark my words. You are nobody here. And you know what? We are disgusted to see you clinging around him. You don’t have feet to move around? Do you still have to ask him to show you this and that? I didn’t know Tokyo people is that lazy. Or coward?” The girl at the center said.

Hahah these jerks are really stupid somehow… Very judgmental.

“Well, looks like you are deaf already. You didn’t even reply us a single word. I guess it is a good choice to be afraid of us. Good. We are very happy to see that. You should know where your limits are. And judging by your appearance, you are not that rich eh? Or maybe you are not in the same level as us. Hahah what a freak. Trying to get close with Dylan. Know where you are miss. Your mother probably didn’t teach you though..” She said again. And they start to take their feet away.

Excuse me?

“I might not be rich as what you expect but don’t call my mother as what you like and you don’t even know who I am. Don’t be such a stupid, bossy and judgmental . Got that?” I was about to walk out of the hall but then they pulled my vest and threw me into the pool.

“Hey . Watch your mouth with who you are talking to.” The girl in the center replied. I flapped on the surface of the water, trying to help my body float.

“Serve you right!” They laughed. I swam towards the side of the pool and suddenly my right foot started to cramp. Oh god! I can’t help myself float. I was too panic! My body sunk and my nose is below the water surface. I can’t breathe…

Someone please help me out of this place… My eyes start to shut slowly, dark is slowly consuming but then I saw water splashes and a person dived towards where I am. Please… Help… Me…


“Risa! Risa!” The voice echoed in my mind. The water in my throat spilled out and I slowly open my eyes. I saw a drenched Dylan next to me and people surrounded around us, including the three girls earlier.

“Oh thank God you are okay!” Dylan pulled me into his hug. He is all wet. He saved me?

I don’t have strength to thank him now. I’m worn out, trying to save some breath in the water. He carried me in a bridal style and brought me to the infirmary. The doctor in charged took over and he did something to me. My vision is blurry and suddenly a load of water spilled out of my throat.

Ohh… It is so relieving. I can finally breathe properly. He then put on an oxygen mask and talked to Dylan. I didn’t know, this school can have a mini facilities like what hospital has.

“I got the water out of and luckily you were fast. I didn’t expect the water could get into her trachea that much. At least she should be fine now. Anything happen to her, you should directly put her into ER in case she got Pneumoconiosis.” Said the doctor.

“Thank you.” Said Dylan. The doctor left us alone. Dylan took a seat at the side of the small bed; where I’m lying now. “Who did it?”

“Dylan.. I’m fine..” I said and took off the oxygen mask and sat up.

“How can you be fine when you got the water in your lungs? Tell me, who did that to you? I will give him a lesson!” He stood up and was about to catch the girls although he didn’t know who is the culprit.

“No Dylan, no. Don’t. I’m fine.” I quickly take his hands, locking them in my arms. He turned around and cooled down; releasing my arms. He put his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes.

“Sorry.” He said and pulled me in his embrace. “I was out of my mind.” I can feel my face at his chocolate abs. Woahhh

“I promised mom that I will take care of you.” He added, my back gently.

“You did. Thank you. I feel secure in your care.” I said and broke the hug.

“I got your clean PE clothes from your locker. Change and we go back now. I asked permissions to send you back.” He said and took my PE clothes from his bag.

“How did you know my pin numbers?”

“I saw them in your cellphone’s memo. JR301096. I accidentally looked at them when you were sleeping last night. You did not switched off you cell” He said. Oh my god… He was watching me sleeping? What a creep?

“Your birth date?” He asked.

Eh… How should I say this?

“No. Someone…”

Dylan nodded and told me to get change while he waits for me behind the curtains. What a nightmare on my first day in Takanabe. I didn’t expect I could receive so much ‘love’ from the students. I slid the curtains away and grabbed my things with me.

“I’m done.”

“Okay let us go. I texted mother that you will be going back now and she is furious about what the hell has just happened. You need to explain every single detail to her. And me.” He said. His eyes are as if pointing at me angrily. Erm… Okay.