The One Thing You Should Know

The Last Thread Of Love

Dusk, almost six in the evening.

As Mi Nyu went to the lake, she remembered what He Yi had done to her one time: she slapped Mi Nyu out of jealousy. She also saw some series and movies, and angry girls slap other people. Should she slap Shin Woo too?

Finally, she reached the lake and saw Shin Woo sitting on the grass, watching the lazy lake. She went to him and sat beside him. For a few minutes, they were not talking to each other.

"Is there something you regret, Shin Woo-hyung?" she finally asked him coldly.

He noticed the hardness in her shaky voice, so he looked at her, deadpan.

"I think I already explained it to you."

Mi Nyu sat straight, facing him, and slapped him hard on the face. Shin Woo placed his hand on his cheek and looked at her spitefully.

"I think there is one thing you should regret," Mi Nyu chided him. "It's about not telling me about your car accident. WAE????"

Shin Woo looked at her as tears streamed down her face.

"If there is something I regret, it is not the car accident. It is when I thought that I knew much about you, but I stepped back as a shadow and allowed Tae Kyung to win your heart," he replied to her coldly.

"Mworaguyo?" she asked, her voice shaky.

"Ne, I regret not doing that much, and even kept doing things silently for you. I could have all the chances, but Tae Kyung always got in the way first, and you chose him over me."

Then, he looked at the water.

"If you want to know about the car accident, then I will tell you."

"Fine, then, tell me!" Mi Nyu demanded.

So, Shin Woo had to tell her the truth.

"The day of the accident. That was one thing I will never regret. I was walking along the sidewalk, when I noticed someone who was about to get hit by a car. I ran as fast as I could and pushed the person to the sidewalk, so I was the one hit instead. After that, the next thing I know, I was in the hospital."

"Oh dear..." Mi Nyu cried. "I didn't know... I thought you fell off the stairs."

Mi Nyu was too dense!

Shin Woo continued. "And you know what? The black car almost hit the girl, the girl who was going out to buy tickets for an airplane travel."

"How did you know she was going to ride on an...?"

Then, she realized what it was about. The black car almost hit her, who was going out that day to buy airplane tickets.

"Noooooo!!!!! Maldo andwae (No way)!" she sobbed.

"Yes, Mi Nyu, I saved you that day," Shin Woo calmly said as he tapped her on the shoulder. "If I had not acted, if I wasn't there, you could have been dead. And I would regret it for the rest of my life."

Mi Nyu cried her eyes and her heart out to him.

"Why were you there? Why did you do it?" she asked.

"I was there because I followed you, hoping to see you for the last time."

"Shin...Shin..."

"You see, when I opened my eyes in the hospital, Tae Kyung was already standing by my bedside. He did not tell me how I got in, and I could barely move because of all the bandages on my face and body, and only my eyes and lips were not covered. He told me that you were also hospitalized. I begged him to keep it a secret and told him that if ever you are looking for me, I told him to tell you that I went to Busan. And I told him that if you insisted on visiting the person who saved you, you will be told that the person died on the spot, and nobody knows his or her name. And so, two days after I was admitted, I was wheeled to the operating room for surgery."

It all came back to Mi Nyu. When she opened her eyes that day, she asked Manager Ma and Mi Nam about the person who saved her from the black car. And two days after her admission, she was discharged. And along the way, she was met with nurses wheeling a heavily bandaged patient to the operating room, and a wailing mother was beside the patient.

"So...it was you, Shin Woo-hyung... That patient that I met when I was discharged..." she cried. "So that's why I never saw you on the day I left Korea."

They were so close, but they did not know... Then, she mustered some strength to talk on. "But why did Hyungnim and Oppa tell me that you fell off the stairs?"

"I told them to say that in case you will not believe that I was in Busan that day. I told him about the excuse of me being transferred out so that you will not really know where I am..."

"You...you are so selfish, Shin Woo-hyung...this is too much..." Mi Nyu sobbed.

"Selfish? I think so. Maybe I am selfish. I thought that I gave you up in Japan, which was why I followed you that day. And the car accident, that was the last thing I did to prove to you how much I loved you. I gave up my legs, my life, so that you will live. And after that incident, it was then that I decided to let go. I was thinking that it will be the last good thing that I will be doing for you, knowing that we might not see each other again, and knowing that whatever I did, your heart and your eyes will always look at Tae Kyung and not me."

Mi Nyu sobbed.

"And so, when I tried to walk, I was limping, but even the doctors could not tell me why. They said they did the operation--no, two operations, to the best of their knowledge, but they did not know why I was limping. To forget my limp and any memory of the dorm, I left AN Jell and studied composing. And I applied being a composer, and I am thankful to President Ahn for making me Mars' composer. But you know what, no matter how much I deny it, no matter where I go, my limping walk reminded me over and over again that I did the one last honorable thing because of my love for you."

"Shin Woo-hyung...."

"But when you came back, you made my life even more difficult and miserable. I tried so hard to forget you, and did my best to act the good hyung that you wanted me to be, but here you are, doing all the good things for me.... Because of you, I ended up being nicer than I intended to. I ended up protecting you. I ended up hurting myself again."

"And is it wrong, Shin Woo-hyung?"

"Yes, it is, Mi Nyu. It is totally wrong! My life had been totally peaceful without you. I was doing my best not to remember you. I was happy being with the Mars guys. And on the day you came with Tae Kyung, I felt like I was haunted by a painful memory. I don't understand why you are being kind to me all of a sudden. And why would you even care....?"

"Of course I have the right to be worried!" Mi Nyu sobbed. "How could I not care, when all these times, all I ever thought was you?"

Shin Woo froze. "Mwo?"

"Ye, Shin Woo-hyung... On the day when I left, when Hyungnim said that you were in Busan, I was worried and I didn't know why. I thought of you that day, and I was sad. In Africa, I suddenly woke up feeling my love for Hyungnim fade... And I started thinking of you. It was always about you...it had always been you... I never got over you getting over me..."

Mi Nyu cupped his face with her hands and looked at him in tears. His eyes began to well up with tears as well.

"Shin Woo-hyung..." she whispered. "I love you...."

Shin Woo took  her hands from his face and held them.

"I love you so much Shin Woo-hyung, that everytime you acted like you don't care, everytime you say you are being a good hyung only, I feel like I am dying. I feel like I am dying over and over again.... It was so painful to know that you no longer love me... I did my best to be kind to you and to do things for you, and even to help you walk, because I love you so much. The kiss--the kiss in the video... I did not intend it as the girl in the video. I gave it to you because I love you..."

Shin Woo looked at her intently.

"Mianhae, Mi Nyu-- I am sorry for ever lying to you...I tried denying, but I could not help it. Everytime I did something nice to you, I resorted to my hyung excuse because I wanted to hide my feelings. I tried my best to act cool because I don't want to get close to you again. I held my head up high, and only break down and cry when it rains because I don't want anybody to see my tears. Though my limping legs were trying to tell me to get real, I totally hid myself and built up a wall... I did my  best to be cold because I don't want you to know..."

Mi Nyu waited for his answer.

"I kept denying the reality, that through all these time, I am still deeply in love with you."

"Shin Woo-hyung..."

"I still love you, Mi Nyu...I really do..."

Mi Nyu managed a smile despite the tears and cherished the touch of his hands on her wet cheeks.

"I'm sorry for lying to you," Shin Woo said as he fought back his tears.

"Shin Woo-hyung..." Mi Nyu whispered.

"The limping of my leg reminds me how much I love you. Now that I can almost walk straight, it will remind me that you did so much to show you love me.... Gomawo, Mi Nyu..."

"Gomawoyo, Shin Woo-hyung, for saving my life...."

He leaned forward and gave her a soft kiss on her lips. She gave in, and allowed him to make the kiss deep and intimate. The place was a bit dim, and it was lit up by the moon, the stars, and the fireflies. She kissed him passionately to show him that she reciprocated his love, and he kissed her deeply to show that his love for her never died. Mi Nyu let out a soft and gentle moan as Shin Woo caressed her arm and her face, and she followed his lead as she lay down on the grass, with him on top of her.