Music Videos and Japanese Life

The Last Thread Of Love

President Ahn, Coordi Noona, and Manager Ma were brainstorming for the concept of a music video for the song "When You Find Love."

"I don't want scenes or explosive devices in the music videos," the president said, letting them remember the stupid ideas the two had in brainstorming for 'Maldo Obshi'. "The two singers definitely are wholesome, but let us do away with the cute concept we used to have. Let it be mature but wholesome."

"How could mature and wholesome go together?" Manager Ma argued.

"Yeah. And besides, if Shin Woo and Mi Nyu are gonna be in the music video, at least, let them have some y, deep, and intimate kissing with each other," Coordi Noona suggested.

The president cringed and shook his hand. "No. no, no. They are definitely not doing it, not when kids idolized Shin Woo in his AN Jell days."

"But some of those kids are already in their teens," Coordi Noona said.

"I can't afford to have one good video banned," the president sighed. "That is why I want to have a wholesome concept. Not definitely a cheap one. I want the concept like that of G.na's video of her song, 'I'll Back Off So You Can Live Better'. Like that. Very adult but not trashy, not lewd."

Manager Ma thought. G.na's song was about heartbreak, and Zephyr's Kiss' song was about moving on. And the president wanted a mature and good concept. Hmmm....

The president told them his concept. The guy and the girl were college sweethearts who broke up because the girl left for someone new. Years later, the girl entered the company as a new office girl, and when she was assigned to a certain department, she was met with shock, as the manager of the department is her ex-boyfriend. Then, she was hurt because the guy already have someone new to love, a manager of the other department, and she was left bitter. Since the song was mostly sang by Shin Woo, the concept of the video is based on the guy's point of view.

"Nice concept, Boss," Manager Ma said. 

Coordi Noona crossed her arms and cringed. "I think that is even better if they play the part."

President Ahn stopped to think. He had to agree that it would be good.

"Hmmm... Why not? That will increase the ratings of the the video. Jackpot!"

"And aside from acting, they will also act the part of the singing duo," Manager Ma said.

"Oh, yes! Jackpot! Yes, and the rest will be care of technology!" the president said triumphantly.

*****

Shin Woo and Mi Nyu sat beside each other as they waited for the third person to join them for the music video.

"Are you excited, Shin Woo-hyung?" she asked.

"I think I am," he said. "This is the first video that we will be together,"

Then, President Ahn came with a female companion. Shin Woo and Mi Nyu stood up and greeted the woman with a bow.

"I presume you already know her, Shin Woo," the president told him.

He nodded and greeted the other person, "Konnichiwa, Aragaki-san."

Mi Nyu looked at Shin Woo, looked at the girl, and bowed again. She studied a bit of Japanese when she was still in AN Jell, but she is not that fluent with it.

The president introduced Mi Nyu and the Japanese actress Aragaki Yui to each other. The actress is not fluent in Korean, so the president and Shin Woo had to talk to her in Japanese. Shin Woo, meanwhile, would be Mi Nyu's translator. And so, as the four of them sat down, the president explained to them the concept of the video. Shin Woo's face darkened when he heard the concept, and the president explained to Mi Nyu in Korean. Mi Nyu looked at the president sadly. Do they really have to shoot such a scene? Yui raised her hand to speak.

"It is also knowledge to the Japanese AN Jell fans that Shin Uu-san and Mi Nyo-san are ex-lovers, and seeing them together would bring great responses to the video. Also, it would spark the interest of the media and the fans that ex-lovers star in their own video. And them being paired together as a singing tandem means that they are already comfortable with each other. I think it would pose no problem at all."

"What do you think, Shin Woo?" the president asked.

He was used to hide his feelings, so he nodded. "This is just act, is it?"

Mi Nyu nodded, but deep inside, this was going to hurt. It was all right for her if Shin Woo would be paired with Aragaki Yui if the concept was other than THIS. The song itself was already painful, and the concept of the video was even more painful. She felt that being in the video meant exposing in a subtle way her own feelings for Shin Woo. But she did not want to pose any problems for the president, and she thought that doing the piggy-nose was already predictable. She had to learn how to control her feelings.

"I have to control it. I have to. If I have to cry on set, I will think that this is just acting," she thought.

******

They started shooting the video of the song, first, starting with their act of playing the music instruments and singing the songs. Mi Nyu was in the baby grand piano and Shin Woo on the guitar. Yui looked at them on shooting, and she smiled to herself. She could not help but whisper to her own manager.

"They still look good together, do they not?" she said, while the manager nodded giddily. Then, she continued. "Shin Woo-san is just amazing. He still exudes professionalism and great acting even if he is limping like that, as if he doesn't care about it anymore."

Later on, the next scene they shoot was the college scene, wherein the two were in the school gardens, studying together, and they were having a good time. Mi Nyu felt really happy for this scene, as Shin Woo ruffled her hair and was being so sweet to her. That was one consolation she had, Shin Woo being sweet to her even in the reel.

Then, as the cameras rolled on, they acted the next chapter--the breakup scene. The director thought that the musical instrument scene is better done first, so the two of them were under a gazebo playing music and singing while it was raining. Then, time for them to act the part of the lovers.

They were in the rain, and Shin Woo grabbed her by the wrist, but she pulled her hand away.

"Saranghae," he said. He cried in the scene, as it was called for, even if the rain mixed with the tears.

"Mian...I am in love with someone else," Mi Nyu answered coldly.

Then, she turned her back at him and started to walk, face hard as a rock. Suddenly, she remembered Shin Woo's audition song, and thought whether he was really still in love with her, that he had to deny it and cry only when it rains. Her chest tightened, so to release it, she shed some tears. But to keep up with the act that she felt numb when they broke up, she did not let them show that her shoulders were shaking.

After that shoot, the attendants dried them up and wrapped them in towels. Shin Woo went to Mi Nyu and gave her a mug of warm milk. Mi Nyu took it and remembered the swimming pool shoot wherein he did the same for her.

"Gwaenchanha?" he casually asked.

She nodded sadly, as he seemed not to care that she was feeling down.

"Ya, you did well in our scene. This is just acting okay? So please don't take it personally," he advised her.

Mi Nyu managed a casual smile at him, hiding the fact that her own heart was being broken to a million pieces.

*****

"It is just a scene, it is just a scene," Mi Nyu convinced herself.

Next scene was the "after a few years" scene. Both of them were in office attire, Shin Woo playing the guitar, and Mi Nyu singing while lying down on the long conference table. After it was wrapped up, next scene was Mi Nyu entering the office as a new worker. Then, she went inside the office of the manager to present herself to work. She acted shock as she saw that her ex-BF was the manager. Shin Woo did his part too in being the cold guy that he had become, and though it was acting, Mi Nyu could tell his eyes were not acting at all. After he gave her instructions, she turned her back and walked out of the office, and cried near the door.

As she cried, she thought that Shin Woo was indeed torturing her, even in the video. Why did he have to show to her that he is no longer the sweet and loving Shin Woo-hyung that he once was? That was not her motivation to cry; it just made her cry. And to prevent suspicion and everything, she had to tell herself all over again that it was just acting.

As for Shin Woo, he faced outside the window and continued singing the song.

*******

Later in the next scene, Yui went in the office, and the other workers greeted her with a bow. Even Mi Nyu greeted her with a bow.

Coordi Noona could not help but watch the shooting of the vid. She had a short chat with the Japanese star's manager.

"Aragaki Yui is so pretty," she said in Japanese. "Her eyes are rather sharp, but her smile makes up for it. She is indeed so pretty."

The manager smiled and thanked her. They watched the Japanese star strut across the office in her office attire, looking radiant and beautiful as she met Shin Woo at the door.

"Cut!" the director said and called Mi Nyu's attention. She woke up from her daydream.

"What are you doing? You are supposed to act jealous, not look at Yui-ssi in adoration."

"Ah...joesonghamnida," she apologized.

"Action!" the director shouted.

Shin Woo leaned forward and kissed Yui on her lips. He did it so softly that it looked as if Shin Woo and Yui are actually lovers. The staff cheered for them, but for Mi Nyu she suddenly got so jealous of Yui that she burst into tears. She maintained the poker face to avoid her boss's attention, but let the tears fall like rain. She really wished that it was she that Shin Woo kissed, not Yui. Her emotions were so raw and real that the director liked it a lot.

"Cut!" the director said. He praised her acting, not knowing that the tears she cried were for real.

******

The cast did a break, and they had to resume the following day. The director was more than satisfied, and everyone thanked each other for their hard work.

Mi Nyu stayed longer in the female dressing room, unable to move out of exhaustion from too much crying. The emotional burden was just too much, that she hid her face in her locker to cry.

"Daijoubu desu ka?" Yui asked.

Mi Nyu understood what 'daijoubu' meant, so she shook her head. Yui held her shoulder and massaged it. She did her best to speak in simple Japanese.

"Mi Nyo-san wa Nihongo o wakarimasu ka (Mi Nyu-san, do you understand Japanese language)?" Yui asked.

Mi Nyu answered politely. "Hai. Demo, watashi wa sukoshi Nihongo o wakarimasu. Watashi mo sukoshi Nihongo o hanashimasu. Gomen nasai. Mada heta desu. (Yes, but I can understand a little Japanese. I can speak a little Japanese too. I am sorry. I am still poor at it)."

Yui smiled at her as she shook her head. 

"Iie. Anata no Nihongo wa ii desu yo (No. Your Japanese language is good)," Yui said.

"Arigatou gozaimaa..." Mi Nyu replied before crying again.

"Dou an (What happened)?" the Japanese girl asked, but Mi Nyu refused to answer.

Yui thought that there must be something in the video that made her cry so much, but she did not know what it is. All she knew is that Mi Nyu and Shin Woo had the chemistry which was totally unmatched.

"Ya, anata to Shin Uu-san wa hontou ni, hontou ni kawaii desu yo ne (Hey, you and Shin Woo-ssi are really, really cute)!" Yui said to make the poor girl feel better.

Mi Nyu looked at her with pain in her eyes.

"Anata wa kare o suki desu ka (Do you like him)?" Mi Nyu asked painfully.

"Hai. Kare wa kakkoi desu ne (Yes. He is cool, is he?)," Yui said casually.

The Japanese star wiped the tears from the other girl's eyes and told her that if something is bothering her but has no guts to share it, she just needs to let it all out and cry as much as she wants. She recounted  how Gong Li cried during a shooting of the movie "Memoirs of a Geisha." Gong Li felt the character much that she empathized with Hatsumomo, and cried her heart out.

"Crying is a girl's best weapon, not because we are weak, but because we had been too strong for a long time, that we need the to unburden everything inside," Yui told her in Japanese.

Mi Nyu hugged her and cried till she felt she was going crazy. Yui stayed there to comfort her new friend. Mi Nyu realized that she should not get jealous of Yui.

"Daijoubu, Mi Nyo-san," Yui said. "I will scold Shin Woo-san for making you cry."

Mi Nyu released her hug and looked at the other girl in confusion. "Mworaguyo?"

Mi Nyu forgot that she was talking to a Japanese girl, but Yui seemed to understand. She winked slyly at the Korean girl and asked. "Anata wa kare o suki desu yo ne (You like him, right?)

Mi Nyu blushed and shook her head fiercely. Yui smiled and said that if ever Mi Nyu likes Shin Woo, she is going to keep it a secret.

"Don't worry, I will not steal your Shin Uu-niisan away," Yui said. "He will always be yours." ^_^

(Oniisan and ani mean elder brother. Shin Uu-niisan is just like saying Shin Woo-oppa or Shin Woo-hyung).

The Japanese star gathered her things, and dragged Mi Nyu with her.

**************

Shin Woo was waiting outside the changing quarters when Yui and Mi Nyu arrived. Yui pouted cutely and pointed a finger at him.

"You made her cry," she .

Shin Woo looked at Mi Nyu, then replied to Yui, "She's  just exhausted. What we did was just act, right?"

Yui nodded, and pushed Mi Nyu playfully to be near Shin Woo.

"I had wanted to take your cute selcas, but Mi Nyu-san's eyes are red from crying," she said thoughtfully. "I'll just take it tomorrow."

The Koreans nodded awkwardly.

"Jaa, mata aa (See you tomorrow)!" Yui said before walking away with her manager.

Shin Woo looked at Mi Nyu and told her that they need to go home. When they got inside the van, Mi Nyu closed her eyes and leaned on his shoulders.

*******

Mi Nam and Jeremy were still playing video games when Shin Woo came in, carrying Mi Nyu in a princess style.

"What happened?" Mi Nam asked suspiciously. He noticed his sister's puffy eyes. "Did you make her cry????"

"Cool it, she was just acting," Shin Woo told him and went to her room.

"Mi Nam-ah, did you notice that?" Jeremy asked.

"Yeah, I noticed it too," Mi Nam replied, slightly nettled. "Tae Kyung was the worst, always making my sister cry. But now, it is Shin Woo who always made my sister cry."

Jeremy looked at his bandmate in astonishment. "No, that is not what I meant."

Mi Nam shot an irritated glance at Jeremy. "Then, what is it?"

"It's already twelve midnight," Jeremy said.

Mi Nam hit Jeremy with his game console. "I was being serious here, and you are playing around."

"Ya! I am being serious too! It means we need to sleep!" Jeremy retorted.

*********

Inside the room, Shin Woo carefully placed Mi Nyu on her bed, and placed her blanket on her. He looked at her for some moments before her hair and lifting some stray away from her face. She looked so tired in her sleep that he could not help but her fair cheeks.

"Good night, Mi Nyu," he said before standing up to leave the room.