Closer to You

Karma Café

 

“I’m not going. I have plans with Hakyeon today. See you later guys.” Kyungsoo replied and left the class after Jongdae asked him if he wanted to visit Karma Café again.

Jongin’s eyes automatically trained to follow Kyungsoo as the smaller walked out of the room.

“How about you?” Jongdae turned to Jongin.

“I’m not going, too. I… um… I have plans with Taemin.” Jongin answered quickly and gulped when Jongdae raised an eyebrow in suspicion at his response.

To escape the long silence that ensued after, Jongin awkwardly picked his bag by the straps and promptly ran out of the room like a ninja. When he had gotten far enough, he slung his bag over shoulders and went downstairs.

Where’s Kyungsoo? What’s he doing with Hakyeon?

***

“Where’s Kyungsoo and Jongin?” Chanyeol asked Jongdae after he got back from the bathroom.

“Kyungsoo had plans with Hakyeon and Jongin said he had plans with Taemin.” Jongdae shrugged.

Chanyeol laughed in his deep baritone voice. “No way! I met Taemin just a few minutes ago and he said there’s football match today at the field and he’s gonna watch Minho play.”

Jongdae smirked in amusement. “So I guess Jongin also wanted to watch his bestfriend’s boyfriend play.”

Chanyeol widened his eyes in shock. “Omo! Is Jongin into Minho now? I thought he liked Kyungsoo!”

Jongdae facepalmed and almost slapped his idiotic bestfriend’s head. ”Aigoo! What the hell Chanyeol?! Jongin’s gone to creepily stalk Kyungsoo and used Taemin as an excuse!” Jongdae explained impatiently.

“Ah!” Chanyeol flicked his fingers as the cogs clicked in his brain.

“Let’s go now. Where’s Sehun?” Jongdae asked as they walked out of class.

“Locker. He wanted to put some of his stuff down before we go.” Chanyeol replied.

“Let’s meet him there then.”

The two walked to Sehun’s locker and together, went on another trip to Karma Café.

***

“What are you doing Kim Jongin? Let go of me!” Taemin shouted angrily as he tried to free himself from his childish bestfriend’s action (which was suddenly grabbing his hand tightly).

“Let’s go to the dancing clubroom. Just for a minute.” Jongin whispered in a low voice.

“Alright! But you do know I can get there myself, right?” Taemin asked sarcastically as Jongin dragged him down the corridor with a few questioning looks being thrown their way.

Jongin realized the strong grip he had on his friend and finally release it. “Ah! Sorry, Taemin-ah. Let’s go.”

They walked beside each other until they got to the dance clubroom. Jongin thought that Kyungsoo would probably be somewhere around there with Hakyeon, since both of them are the members of singing club and the singing clubroom was right next door to the dance clubroom.

When they entered, Jongin immediately ran to the side of the room and glued his right ear on the wall to eavesdrop on any noise coming from the singing clubroom.

Taemin just sighed and looked at him weirdly. “Yah! What are you doing?”

Jongin placed his index finger on his lips and signaled to Taemin to keep his mouth shut. Despite his action, Jongin couldn’t hear anything from the next room.

“Minho will play in 10 minutes! What are you doing, Jongin-ah?!” Taemin groaned as he looked at his watch.

Jongin sighed. “I… well… Kyungsoo said he had plans with Hakyeon… but I don’t know where they went.”

“YAH!” Taemin yelled impatiently. “And you think they haven’t left school yet?”

“No! I can guarantee it! I didn’t see them at the school gate!” Jongin opposed indignantly.

“So you think they’re at the singing clubroom? And you… tried to cowardly eavesdrop on them from here? And the best part of it all is that you grabbed me to come with you!” Taemin commented bitterly.

Jongin pouted, his ear still to the wall and asked. “Taemin-ah, what do you think about Hakyeon?”

Taemin gave his bestfriend a judging look before he rolled his eyes. “Don’t tell me… You’re jealous, aren’t you, Kim Jongout?” Taemin teased.

“I’m not!” He denied as his face fell to a grimace into a dark crimson colour. Taemin laughed as he sat down at one of the tables at the side of the room and put his hands on his chin, thinking about Hakyeon.

“Well…,” He started. “I like him. He’s cute… and charming… and kind.” Taemin smiled as he praised Hakyeon.

Jongin frowned harder when he heard Taemin’s answer. Kyungsoo is really close with Hakyeon, since both of them are members in singing club. But nowadays, it seems they’re getting closer day by day. They stick together like glue between classes and Jongin (yeah), grew more and more jealous every time he witnessed it.

“Hahaha! Did you actually believe that I’d actually think that? No, my lovely Jongout. No one can replace my dear Choi Minho. Well, besides the fact that Hakyeon is number one in being kind and charming.”

“How about me? I’m kind and charming too, right?” Jongin asked hopefully and puffed out his chest.

Taemin laughed at his bestfriend’s cute action and got up from his chair as to pat Jongin’s back in consideration. “Well you’re handsome, you’re cool, you’re charming… but you are totally a loser!” Taemin laughed as he broke Jongin’s self-esteem.

“Lo… ser?” Jongin replied softly and pouted.

Taemin sighed desperately. “If you like Kyungsoo why don’t you tell him your feelings? It embarrasses me seeing you creepily follow him liked some kind of weirdo!”

“Yah! I’m not following him around like a weirdo! We’re in a group! I follow him like I follow Chanyeol and Jongdae and Sehun too!” Jongin argued.

“Oh God, how did he become my friend?” Taemin asked in mock sorrow as he looked up at the ceiling before turning back to Jongin. “If you’re a real man, you would take the risk telling Kyungsoo how you feel.” He explained as if he was talking to a child.

“I’m scared! I mean… We’ve been friends for ages. He’ll think I’m crazy if he finds out I actually like him.” Jongin groaned into his hands.

“Of course! He’s gonna kick you to the hell when he finds out that you thought of him every time you ed!” Taemin snorted.

Jongin blushed deeply. “I never ed!” He crossed his fingers behind his back as he lied shamelessly.

“You even pecked him on the lips during the Christmas party last year, you ing good liar.” Taemin added.

“I was drunk!” Jongin retorted defensively.

Taemin rolled his eyes. “We don’t have time for this! No, I mean I don’t have time! C’mon!” This time, it was Taemin’s turn to grab Jongin by his wrist as he dragged him to the singing clubroom.

“Lee Taemin! What do you think you’re doing?!” Jongin tried to pry himself out of his friend’s strong grip but it was useless. Taemin’s more muscular and strong nowadays after he started working out.

He swung open the singing club door and exactly as Jongin had thought, there were Kyungsoo and Hakyeon inside the room. Both of them sitting and facing each other, while Hakyeon sang a song and Kyungsoo judged him by giving some constructive comments for his performance.

“Hello Kyungsoo, hello Hakyeon!” Taemin called and smiled, strengthening his grip on Jongin so that he wouldn’t run away.

Hakyeon and Kyungsoo stopped their activities and looked in Taemin’s direction.

“Oh Taemin-ah! You’re here? What is it?” Kyungsoo asked, his eyes still as wide as ever.

“Well…I actually have something planned with Minho today! But, this kid—,” Taemin opened the door wider so Jongin appeared reluctantly next to him. “—He distracted me and I thought he’d be happier if I left him with you Kyungsoo-ya.”

“Jonginnie, you didn’t go with the others?” Kyungsoo asked as his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“He wants to be with—,” before Taemin could finish his words, Jongin gave a large stomp on his bestfriend’s foot.

Taemin clenched his teeth into a forced smile to stop himself from yelping in pain.

“No! I don’t. My dear bestfriend Taemin needed my help before so I didn’t go.” Jongin answered Kyungsoo’s question and smiled nervously as he stared at the boy’s heart-shaped lips.

“So your business is already finished?” Kyungsoo asked, oblivious to the other’s stares.

“Of course, Kyungsoo-ya! I need to go to football field. Minho will kill me if I’m late. Bye bye~ have fun!” Taemin waved cutely and winked at Jongin before he left the awkward boy.

“Jongin-ah, you can come in you know?” Hakyeon invited gently and gestured for him to come in instead of standing in the doorway.

“O-okay.” Jongin nodded nervously and entered the room.

“You looked uncomfortable.” Kyungsoo asked worriedly. “If you feel like you need to go home first—“

“No no! I’m fine! I want to be here!” Jongin answered back too enthusiastically and smiled sheepishly.

Hakyeon laughed and pointed at a chair for Jongin to sit at.

Jongin sat and asked. “So…what are you guys doing?” He attempted to ask in his normal tone, to hide his jealousy.

“I have an audition for a musical next week and Kyungsoo said he’d help me since he’s good at singing.” Hakyeon explained as he stared in admiration at Kyungsoo while Jongin could’ve sworn Kyungsoo was reciprocating the stare.

Jongin just nodded awkwardly while glaring at Hakyeon.

“You’re so good at singing Hakyeon-ah. Believe me, you’re gonna got casted!” Kyungsoo held Hakyeon’s hand on the table, encouraging him.

Hakyeon rubbed Kyungsoo’s hand gratefully. “Thank you so much Kyungsoo-ya! You’re really kind!”

Jongin frowned at the two who were acting like he didn’t exist. He cleared his throat loudly to grab their attention, which succeeded since both of them flinched and released each other’s hand.

“Um…anyway Jongin-ah, I heard from Hongbin that you can play piano really well. You should play something for us!” Hakyeon requested eagerly.

Jongin looked surprised. Though, not more than Kyungsoo.

“You never told me you could play piano.” Kyungsoo commented questioningly.

Jongin scratched his head (which wasn’t itchy). “I’m not that good actually. I’m not good enough to show other people, Kyungsoo-ya.”

Kyungsoo was about to retort an encouraging comment before he was cut off Hakyeon’s phone ringing.

“Hello? Yeah! I’m still in singing clubroom with Kyungsoo. Okay then, Taekwoon-ah!” Hakyeon chirped happily and hung up the phone.

“Sorry Kyungsoo-ya, I’ve got to go. Taekwoon asked me out to dinner!” Hakyeon grinned widely as he couldn’t hide his excitement because everybody in school knows that Jung Taekwoon is the most unromantic person that ever lived.

“Well okay then! I think that’s enough for today anyway. Let’s meet up tomorrow as usual! Have fun!” Kyungsoo beamed to Hakyeon.

“Bye Jongin-ah! Next time, I wanna hear you play the piano!” He grinned, waved and left the room, leaving Jongin and Kyungsoo together.

“Is Hakyeon dating Taekwoon?” Jongin asked carefully.

Kyungsoo turned his body, facing Jongin. “Yeah! It took a long time for Taewoon to confess his feelings. You know Taekwoon not really good at expressing himself, right? But Hakyeon, with his delightful character, melted Taekwoon’s coldness. Taekwoon’s really sincere to Hakyeon even though he rarely shows it.”

Jongin nodded silently in response. Stupid Kim Jongin! There wasn’t any reason to be jealous, you idiot! He wanted to slap himself because of his ignorance.

“Anyway, I want to hear.” Kyungsoo suddenly spoke, snapping Jongin out of his angry thoughts.

“W-what?” Jongin asked nervously.

“You playing the piano.” Kyungsoo demanded and folded his arms across his chest.

Jongin stood up hesitantly and slowly walked to the piano in the corner of the room.

“Don’t judge me okay? I’m not really as good as Hongbin said.” Jongin warned sheepishly.

“Okay!” Kyungsoo responded in delight.

Jongin took a deep breath through his nose. He lifted his hands to the ivory keys and paused for a moment before he pressed the piano keys softly and slowly. An enchanting and mesmerizing tune rang through the room as Jongin poured emotion into his performance. The melody was a mixture of melancholy and warmth bringing Kyungsoo a blend of emotions as he watched Jongin sway back and forth with the music. He took in the music right until the last few notes that floated through the room.

Kyungsoo clapped his hands enthusiastically.

“That was really amazing! Why did you say you weren’t—,” Kyungsoo stuttered as he was at a loss for words.

Jongin turned to Kyungsoo and smiled sheepishly. “Not as good as Chanyeol and Jongdae.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “No! You’re as good as Chanyeol! And Jongdae can only play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star so he’s not counted.” Kyungsoo chuckled. “I’m so jealous. I can’t play any musical instruments well.”

Jongin beamed as Kyungsoo’s praise. “Um… do you want to learn?” He offered.

Kyungsoo eyes widened in delight. “Can I?” He walked closer to Jongin and the piano.

“If you want.” Jongin answered as he slid himself across the piano chair so that Kyungsoo could sit beside him. Jongin hoped that Kyungsoo couldn’t hear this heart rate speed up at the newly formed proximity.

Kyungsoo shifted in his seat so that he sat comfortably beside Jongin. “What’s the song that you played before?” He asked.

“It’s Endless Love. It’s from the soundtrack of The Myth movie.” Jongin answered shakily, trying to hide his nervousness of Kyungsoo being so close to him. Their shoulders even touched slightly!

“So, what song will you teach me?” Kyungsoo smiled, clearly excited at learning a new instrument.

Jongin played easiest song he knew, all the while smiling at being able to show off to Kyungsoo.

“Is that the Angry Birds theme song?” Kyungsoo laughed when Jongin finished.

“Yup! It’s considered easy for beginners. You only need to press these keys.” Jongin pointed to the middle octave on the keyboard.

“You press these keys…,” Jongin pressed first and Kyungsoo obediently followed him.

“Good! Then we pressed this together.” Jongin taught him patiently.

Kyungsoo learnt well and he learnt quickly since he managed to play it smoothly on his twelfth try!

Jongin clapped proudly. “You’re so good! Even better than me!”

“You’re too much. This is just the Angry Birds theme song and I could only can play it relatively well on my twelfth try.” He groaned.

Jongin only smiled back in response when Kyungsoo suddenly realized they should go home after he looked at his watch.

“Time flies so fast.” Kyungsoo stood up abruptly and tripped slightly making him fall back down.

Jongin quickly held his hands out to catch the smaller one, which made Kyungsoo fall perfectly on Jongin’s lap.

They both froze for a few long moments; their breaths in sync with each other. In. Out. In Out.

Kyungsoo never realized how plump Jongin’s lips were, how his long eyelashes fluttered whenever he blinked, how built his jawline…

It took a few moments before Jongin built up enough courage to come closer to Kyungsoo’s face. The smaller closed his eyes automatically in anticipation. Jongin smiled and hesitated. He doesn’t want to scare Kyungsoo. Instead, he pinched Kyungsoo’s nose with his index finger and middle finger. Kyungsoo flinched in surprise and opened his eyes.

“Let’s go home!” Jongin beamed.

Kyungsoo blushed furiously as he avoided Jongin’s gaze. What the hell? Why did I close my eyes? What are you thinking, Do Kyungsoo?!! He thought angrily to himself.

Kyungsoo stood up awkwardly and took his bag. He left the room first.

Why did he closed his eyes? Did he think I was gonna kiss him? Jongin thought and shook his head immediately.

No way! Kyungsoo is too much precious to get kissed by loser like me! Jongin sighed.

“Kyungsoo-ya! Wait for me!!” Jongin called and ran to chase Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo wanted to run away because he felt too embarrassed. He screwed his eyes shut like he wanted Jongin to kiss him!

“Are you mad at me because I pinched your nose… too hard?” Jongin asked worriedly when he finally caught up to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo stopped his steps and faced Jongin. “I’m not.” He said firmly.

Jongin grinned. “Thanks God! I’m sorry okay? You looked so cute when you closed your eyes like that.”

“I… I had dust on my eyes so I closed them.” Kyungsoo lied, avoided Jongin’s stare and instead inspecting the wall behind the taller.

Jongin came closer again. “But your eyes aren’t red.” He said, staring into Kyungsoo’s big eyes.

Kyungsoo’s gaze caught Jongin’s for a short moment before blushed looked away again. “It’s okay now. Let’s go.” He replied shortly and walked in front to avoid any more awkward eye contact.

Jongin smiled gently and followed Kyungsoo from behind.

***

 

Chapter 6 and Kaisoo's time as my promise! ^^

This is why only Chanyeol, Sehun, and Jongdae that visited Karma Cafe in chapter 5 ^^

EXO will comeback soon anyway in next year! >.<

Hakyeon is Vixx's N and Taekwoon is Vixx's Leo. I used their real name because they're not idol here LOL

Let’s proceed another couples too please wait~! ^^

Anyway, thank you always for ByunBaozi03757 ^^

And all of you yeah YOU ALL GUYS! ^^

Thank you for all the kind comments it’s really encouraging. Saranghae!!! <3

Feel free to subs, leave comments or upvotes <3

- secretyeoja -