Grandma's Prophecy

Karma Café

 

“Yah! Jjajangmyeon boy!” Someone called from Sehun's behind as he was walking down the school corridor.

Sehun stopped in between steps and turned around, recognizing the familiar voice. He found Han Sanghyuk, one of his friends, flashing a mocking grin at him.

“What? Jjajangmyeon boy?” Sehun raised his voice when Hyuk approached him.

Hyuk slung an arm around Sehun’s shoulder playfully. “It’s okay, Dude. Kyungsoo told me.” He said naughtily and widened his grin.

Sehun pushed Hyuk off himself and tidied his uniform. “You visited the cafe too? What did you get?” Sehun asked curiously.

“You don’t need to know.” Hyuk answered cheekily and poked Sehun’s cheek before he jogged down the corridor away from the magnae.

Sehun clucked his tongue when Kyungsoo came up and patted his shoulder.

“What are you doing here? We’re already late for math class!” Kyungsoo scolded.

Sehun shot Kyungsoo an annoyed pout. “You told Hyuk about my result?” He asked in disbelief.

“Did he make fun of you?” Kyungsoo laughed and received his reply immediately when he saw Sehun’s face growing darker.

“Don’t mind him.” Kyungsoo chuckled. “He got a worse result. Hakyeon and the others about it all the time.

Sehun tilted his head in interest. “What was his result?”

“He was a gay stripper.” Kyungsoo whispered.

Sehun’s eyes widened in shock while the corners of his mouth tilted upwards. It took every last drop of self-control for Sehun to hold in the urge to laugh his off in the middle of the school corridor.

“YAH! HAN SANG HYUK!” Sehun shouted and raced after his friend, all the while laughing hysterically and abandoning Kyungsoo.

“Yah! Oh Sehun! We have class now! Aish Pabo!” Kyungsoo yelled and sighed desperately.

***

"You will be charged with an international call fee. Press 1 to continue, or press 0 to return–"

Luhan pressed the 1 button and after a few moments, a loud dial tone rang through the phone.

“我亲爱的, 小鹿 (Wǒ qīn'ài de, Xiao Lu/My Dear, Little Deer).” The old lady’s voice answered the call.

“奶奶 (Nǎinai/Grandma)!” Luhan responded cheerfully, a smile instantly forming across his face.

Ah… Seems like you have something you need to ask to me,” his grandmother has always been able to read his mind perfectly.

“How… how did you know?” Luhan asked and immediately wanted to slap himself because the answer was too obvious. Of course she knows! She is a famous fortune teller!

His grandmother laughed softly at her clueless grandson.

“So what do you want to tell me? I’m listening.” His grandmother said in her ever calming tone.

Luhan exhaled deeply. “Well, yesterday we had a customer, which is normal…,” Luhan mumbled and paused for a while, “but the strange thing was… I couldn’t read his past. It was dark.” Luhan explained to her, unsure of why this abnormal occurrence had happened.

“What is his name?” His grandmother asked.

“Oh Sehun. He was born on April the 12th.” Luhan answered back quickly, having memorized the boy’s details.

Silence flooded the air between them as the time passed and made Luhan feel more and more anxious about the result.

“Ah!” His grandmother finally spoke, breaking the uncomfortable silence. “As you know, our family can’t read our own past, right?”

“Yeah…so what?” Luhan asked in confusion, not quite sure of where this was going.

His grandmother laughed again. “I’m afraid you can’t read his past because...his life is interrelated with your life.”

Luhan widened his eyes in shock as his mouth formed a small ‘o’. “A-are you… s-sure?” He stuttered.

“There’s no certainty in fortune telling, Luhan. God is still The One that controls everything. We, at some point, obtained this gift to let us help others and ourselves choose better choices in life.” His grandmother explained slowly and wisely. “The point is… Oh Sehun’s life is intertwined with your life. Maybe in present or future… Or even both.” She continued mysteriously.

Luhan sighed at his grandmother’s frustratingly cryptic words. “Okay then. But can you at least tell me if he’s a good guy?” Luhan frowned, trying to control his rapidly growing curiosity about this boy.

“You need to find out by yourself, Xiao Lu.” His grandmother said firmly to let her grandson know she won’t say anymore about it.

“Alright, alright. You always tease me.” He sighed and pouted.

His grandmother let out a soft snicker, knowing that Luhan was making one of his cute pouts. “Don’t be grumpy, Xiao Lu. You look more handsome when you’re smiling,” His grandmother consoled.

Luhan stopped his useless pouting and smiled at his grandmother’s reassuring words. “Alright, fine. Do you have any others words for me, Nǎinai?”

His grandmother paused for a few moments, as if deciding on something important. Luhan waited a while in anticipation until she finally spoke, her tone contrastingly grave in nature. “I should tell you about this. One of your employees, the one with the thick eyeliner.”

“Baekhyun?” Luhan replied hesitantly, feeling the uneasy air of the situation.

“Yes, him. You should take care of him, Luhan. The past that he tried so hard to erase… will come again. If he wants to protect himself, he should trust love again and open his heart. There’s someone that will love him sincerely.”

Luhan stayed silent, not knowing how to respond to his grandmother’s unexpected prophecy.

“And one more thing. You were mistaken the Park Chanyeol guy as a servant. He was a knight actually. Well, it can be forgiven since he was so messy and wore some ragged clothes after the war. So, perhaps he did look pitiful like a servant. Any last questions, Dear?”

Luhan shook his head immediately before realizing that his grandmother couldn't see him

“No.” he answered in low voice.

“Alright. Have a nice day my Dear Xiao Lu. 我爱你 (Wǒ ài nǐ/I love you)!” His grandmother smiled and ended their phone session.
“再见, 奶奶! 我也爱你 (Zàijiàn, Nǎinai! Wǒ yě ài nǐ!/Good bye, Grandma! I love you too)!” Luhan replied and hung up after his grandmother.
He lowered his phone from his ear and placed it on his study desk. Taking comfort in his large leather desk chair, he leaned back and sighed. His grandmother’s words had hit him really hard.
“Luhannie! It’s time to opening.” Yixing’s smooth voice suddenly floated through the door.
Luhan snapped out of his thoughts and stood up quickly. “Okay Yixing! I’m coming!”
***
“Baekhyun-ah, can I talk to you for a moment?” Luhan signaled to Baekhyun who was cleaning a table in the café.
“Okay.” Baekhyun answered casually and followed Luhan to his office room.
Luhan shut the door behind them when they had both arrived inside the small office, and hesitated for a moment.
“Umm…,” Luhan murmured, not knowing how to start and avoiding Baekhyun's gaze. 
“What is it?” Baekhyun asked.
“Did... did Kris already confessed to you?” Luhan finally blurted out quickly after finding his voice again.
“What did you say?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.
“Well… I think he likes you.” Luhan explained unsurely, though still trying to sound confident.
“No, Luhan.” Baekhyun began with a harsh frown. “You know he’s a dirtbag player. He says out the words ‘I love you’ so easily that it makes me sick!” Baekhyun answered coldly.
“Alright then.” Luhan responded, his lips forming into a thin line. Maybe Kris isn’t the one that will sincerely loves Baekhyun like what grandma said? He thought inside his head.
“What happened? Why you ask something like this so suddenly?” Baekhyun glared at Luhan suspiciously.
Luhan bit his lips and continued, ignoring Baekhyun’s questions. “Do you have someone special now?”
Baekhyun widened his eyes while his face visibly paled.
“N-no, Lu-Luhan...,” he stuttered.
Luhan took a step closer towards Baekhyun and gripped the other’s shoulders softly.

“Listen, Baek. I know about your….dark past.” He started uncertainly. “But you do know you can start over, right? I mean, it was three years ago. Maybe you can try and find new love?” Luhan spoke slowly so that he could choose his words carefully.

Baekhyun kept his gaze to the ground before pushing Luhan’s hands of his shoulders coldly. “I can’t. I’m still scared Luhan! I don’t want to get hurt again!” Baekhyun yelled desperately and looked up at Luhan with glistening eyes.

The memories about his past suddenly flashed in his mind. The tall and handsome guy. The only one he has ever loved. The reason why he became the new Byun Baekhyun. Cold and unreachable. The reason why he has nightmares every single night. The reason his eyes are constantly swollen and he is always mind-numbingly tired. The reason why eyeliner has become such a part of him. To hide his past… to hide his conscience. The reason why he doesn’t get drunk is because if he does, he’ll cry and hurt himself out of the pain he was never be able to let go. The reason he scared and can’t trust love anymore. These reasons, only a fraction of why, why he can’t. 
Luhan noticed Baekhyun’s increasingly ragged breaths and pulled him into a warm and comforting hug. “I know it’s hard. But, you know that I will always be there for you. You are surrounded by people who will always be there for you. Okay?” Luhan spoke softly into Baekhyun’s ear as he rubbed reassuring cirlces on his friend’s back gently.
Baekhyun nodded before mumbling a “Thanks, Boss” in a low voice, though his dark past was still playing vividly and lingering in his mind.

***

 

Finally this is chapter 4 guys!

And yeah we have lil bit melodrama about Baekhyun's past inside this cute romcom fanfic >.<

But don't worry! 'Every clouds has a silver lining' (There is something good even in an unpleasant situation)

So please bear with me ^^

I really appreaciated your supports like 196 SUBS and 32 VOTERS T___T *crying confettis*

And ofc your beautiful comments I read it all! ^^

Anyway I edited all the chapters for better grammar and better words/sentences alternative with the help of my amazing and lovely girl Gabby, ByunBaozi03757  I love you Gaby thank you! Please send her lot of loves too <3

Subs, upvotes, and comments are really appreciated! :D

P.S: we have Vixx as EXO's school friend. Hyuk and Hakyeon (N) XD other idol maybe will come through the story progress! ^^

And i don't know well about Chinese characters so i used Google Translate hope it turned out well *bow*

Thank you yeorobun! <3

- secretyeoja -