Welcome!

Karma Café

 

Their first impression of Karma Café wasn't too bad. 

The interior features a few colourful antique lamp decorations with brown and white as the main colour scheme for the walls and furnitures. It created a pleasant and calming atmosphere. Beautiful enough, and totally not creepy like what they had expected before. It had quite a strange layout, certainly one that your typical café did not have. Unexpectedly, besides the main seating area where food was served, there was also a bar and a coffee corner, among other things.

A cute guy with excessive eyeliner greeted them and escorted them to their seats.

"Welcome to Karma Café. I'm Byun Baekhyun and I'm your waiter for today," he introduced himself. "First time here?" He asked with a lazy tone.

Kyungsoo nodded nervously.

"Well..." He took out a piece of paper from a clipboard he was holding and waved it in front of Kyungsoo's face. "Here's the contract for coming to Karma Café."

"What is that?" Chanyeol asked curiously.

"Just some ty things. Maybe your big-eyed friend can read it out loudly for all of you." He answered with delinquent manner and signaled to Kyungsoo. "Call me later if you’ve signed it. Excuse me." Baekhyun said as he strutted away.

"Wow! He's a bit rude… How did he get work with that kind attitude?" Sehun commented bitterly after the waiter was out of earshot.

"He's a total . Look how he wears the eyeliner." Jongdae snorted.

"He sounds offensive." Jongin followed the rest and opened his mouth.

Chanyeol stayed silent, internally gaping at the unusual encounter. Such a sassy diva! he thought.

"Okay guys, listen up." Kyungsoo said firmly to grab their attention. After the four of them focused on him, he cleared his throat rather ceremoniously and held the document up.

"Welcome to Karma Café." Kyungsoo started. "This is the place with the tagline ‘You’re served what you deserve’. If you’re curious about what you were like in your past life, let's play a game. Just remember that we’re not responsible if you feel offended later. If you want to play, just sign here and don't forget to include your name and your birthdate. I'll read your past. Have fun! Best wishes – Luhan, the owner of Karma Café."

Kyungsoo completed and looked up to see confused expressions on all of his friends.

"So, we can't choose what we order here?" Sehun started slowly with a frown forming across his face.

"I think I’m gonna grab some coffee at that coffee place over there first." Jongdae said as he stood from his seat and made his way to the ‘Coffee Corner’, which he had spotted earlier when they walked into the café. He wasn’t entirely sure if he liked the weird introduction from the supposedly creepy café.

"Is that it? Are you sure there isn’t more?" Chanyeol questioned doubtfully.

"Yah! Kyungsoo is always so precise and prim!" Jongin retorted defensively in Chanyeol’s direction.

"Uhuk, thank you Jongin." Kyungsoo coughed. "Well, maybe I'm not really.... Oh yeah there's a P.S here!"

Chanyeol flicked his finger. 

"P.S: This is just a game. If you want to order other food, of course you can after you play the karma game." Kyungsoo read.

"So, we can order what we want, right?" Sehun ensured again.

Kyungsoo nodded. "So, everyone in? I'll put your name and birthdate here. We only need one signature anyway."

"Alright!" Chanyeol and Jongin shouted simultaneously.

"I’m in. How about Jongdae?" Sehun asked.

"Let’s just include him anyway. So, when is Jongdae’s birthday? September 21st right?"

***

Jongdae grinned as he walked into the part of the café that was dubbed the ‘Coffee Corner’ by a large sign with bold lettering across it. He thought it was a rather adorable and quaint part of the café.

"May I help you?" A guy with chubby cheeks and a cute smile greeted him.

"Well.... any recommendations? This is my first time here." Jongdae answered as he sat in front of the cute barista.

"Oh welcome! My name is Kim Minseok and I'm the barista here. Do you like sweet things?" Minseok asked after he introduced himself.

"I prefer cute things." Jongdae answered nonchalantly, eyeing Minseok.

"Sorry?" Minseok gave him judging look, not quite understanding what Jongdae meant.

"Ah...Hahaha!" Jongdae let out a dry laughter. "Well, I'm okay with sweet things."

Minseok ignored the strange outburst and kept his professionalism.

"How about an iced vanilla latte? It's recommended for this season." Minseok offered.

Jongdae thought a few moments. "Okay then." He nodded.

Minseok smiled and began making a cup of iced vanilla latte for Jongdae behind the counter.

"I'm sorry, but how old are you?" Jongdae asked carefully.

"I'm 25 this year." Minseok answered shortly as he poured the vanilla syrup into the cup.

"Daebak! You don't look like you’re 25 years old," Jongdae commented in surprise.

Minseok ignored him and concentrated on his work.

Jongdae didn't give up yet. "Do you have a boyfriend?" 

Minseok stopped suddenly. "Excuse me?" 

"Do. You. Have. A. Boyfriend?" Jongdae asked again, word by word.

Minseok let out a burst of sarcastic laughter. "What do you want exactly?"

Jongdae shrugged. "Nothing. Let's just say I want to be your friend."

"I'm sorry but I'm not interested with highschoolers." Minseok said with cold tone.

Jongdae clapped like a seal. "Woah, chill man! Who said I was interested in you?" He teased Minseok.

Minseok felt his blood boil slightly. 

"Here's your ice vanilla latte and the receipt. You can pay directly at the cashier." Minseok said in a clipped tone, all the while avoiding Jongdae's eyes.

Jongdae smiled triumphantly. "I’ve concluded you have no boyfriend. I’ll see you around soon." He winked and left the clueless Minseok.

***

"Do Kyungsoo, January 12th. You were a scholarship student in Joseon era. Here's what you deserve." Baekhyun explained and put a plate of chicken cordon bleu in front of Kyungsoo.

"Kim Jongin, January 14th. You were an archer in Joseon era. Here's your dish." Baekhyun stated mindlessly as he placed a plate of beef steak in front of Jongin.

"Oh Sehun, April 12th. Our Boss can't read you. Your past is dark. So, you get this." Baekhyun sighed and assigned a bowl of Jjajangmyeon (black bean noodle) to Sehun.

"Seriously? Jjajangmyeon?!" Sehun argued, disgruntled with his ‘fate’.

"Yeah, your past was dark. As dark as the black bean paste." Baekhyun answered disconcertingly and continued with Jongdae's results.

"I was an entertainer in Joseon era? Daebak!" Jongdae, who had just got back from his unusual meeting with a certain barista, gave a more than satisfied look at his result. A delicious plate of grilled ribs.

"Ok, lastly. Park Chanyeol, November 27th. You were a servant in Joseon era and here's what you deserve." Baekhyun said and set a bowl of plain tofu soup and rice in front of Chanyeol's face.

Laughter around the table exploded immediately.

"HAHAHA! My result is totally better!" Sehun snorted in between his bouts of hysterical laughed which caused tears to well up in his eyes.

"You were...a servant? BAHAHAHA!" Jongdae snickered and gave Chanyeol a mocking pity look.

Jongin laughed so hard until his stomach hurt while Kyungsoo kept his reserved image and gave out little chuckle.

"YAH! How dare you? I mean.... Why was I a servant?" Chanyeol opposed despondently, annoyance laced heavily in his tone.

"Oh...you look like one actually." Baekhyun mocked with a cheeky grin. "This is just a game. You can order something else anyway. What do you want instead?"

Chanyeol frowned harshly in frustration, before calming himself down and sighing. "Can you just bring me more salt?" He said and signaled to the half empty salt shaker on the table.

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and picked up the salt shaker from the table. "I'll refill it. Excuse me for a while." Baekhyun said and went to the kitchen to find more salt.

"Do you need something Baek?" Junmyeon, the sous chef, asked.

"Where are the salt stocks for salt shaker?" Baekhyun questioned back.

"Upper cabinet on the right." Junmyeon instructed.

Baekhyun sighed. Great! I can't reach it.

He opened the upper cabinet. "I'm going to get you." he hissed, determined to reach the object.

Baekhyun stretched as far as he could, balancing on his tippy toes, when suddenly a big hand appeared over him and took the salt easily from the shelf.

"If you need help why don’t you ask?" Kris, the tall bartender, grinned as he stood behind the shorter waiter.

"Everyone seemed so busy." Baekhyun replied curtly with light sarcasm.

Kris let out a beast-like laugh that sounded more like a growl. "It's mid-afternoon. No one come to the bar at this hour. Besides, we just have highschoolers out there. So I'm free." he said.

Baekhyun snatched the salt from Kris's hand. "Thanks anyway. I should back to work now." Baekhyun mumbled as he looked down to avoid Kris's burning gaze.

"Listen Baek, I’m not—," Kris began, but Baekhyun cut him off.

"I know but…I'm sorry Kris." Baekhyun muttered and began making his way to the customers, leaving Kris behind him.

***

"Here's the salt." Baekhyun said as he brought the newly refilled salt-shaker to Chanyeol.

"Thanks." Chanyeol answered in weak tone.

"Oh, can you bring us sweet iced tea? Make that four sweet ice teas." Kyungsoo ordered and looked at Baekhyun with his ever-round eyes.

"Okay, one moment please." Baekhyun said and went back to the kitchen.

"How's the soup?" Jongdae quips, giggling at Chanyeol’s meal.

"It's totally plain! I wonder how a servant in the Joseon era could even eat like this. I bet they weren’t even able to put any salt in." Chanyeol sighed and continued slurping his tasteless soup.

***

"Get your off the chair and go to the cashier," Kyungsoo ordered Sehun with a firm tone.

They had just finished eating the meals they ‘deserved’.

"Why should I? Just ask the waiter to bring the receipt here." Sehun grumbled.

"It's faster when you go to the cashier." Kyungsoo answered shortly. "Besides you're not even the one paying."

Sehun almost shot back a spiel of the injustice of this situation at Kyungsoo, but stopped shortly when he felt Jongin’s eyes stabbing him. Sehun sighed and stood up.

"Table 17." Sehun said to the cashier, keeping his eyes on the game he was playing on mobile phone.

"Cash or card?" The cashier spoke, his soft voice melting into Sehun's ears.

Sehun shifted his gaze from his phone and saw the most beautiful guy he had ever seen in all of his 18 years of life.

His dark black hair and bangs fell perfectly around his face, while his big cute doe eyes with long eyelashes seemed to flutter whenever he blinked. Sehun stared at his petite pink lips that looked so tempting and...kissable?

"Hello?” the cashier asked unsurely as he waved his palm in front of Sehun's frozen state.

"Oh... sorry... cash." Sehun muttered, and snapped out of his trance. He lowered his gaze to hide the light blush that had rushed to his cheeks.

"Here's the total." the cashier replied and gestured at the cashier monitor.

Sehun gave the money to the cashier.

"Thank you for the coming. Visit us next time," The cashier flashed a soft smile and handed the receipt to Sehun.

Sehun nodded awkwardly as he felt the blush become stronger and quickly went back to the table.

"Let's go home." Kyungsoo said after Sehun had arrived with the receipt in hand.

They left Karma Café soon after and some of them internally promised themselves to come back soon. 

Well after all, it isn’t a bad place...

***

 

OKAY THIS IS CHAPTER 2 AND IT'S VERY LONG LOL

I'm sorry for the short first chapter cause it's just an introduction XD

I'm gonna write longer so please bear with me! ^^

Sorry for any mistakes i'll worked hard *deep bow*

We have slight Xiuchen, Hunhan, Baekyeol and Baekris too ^^

And of course Kaisoo lol

THANK YOU FOR MY CURRENTLY 35 SUBS AND 4 VOTERS

AND ALSO THE COMMENTS *SOBS*

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS SARANGHAE! <3

Reviewed and edited again by my amazing girl ByunBaozi03757 <3

- secretyeoja -