Don't buy a water bottle

Dating SHINee :〖A Choose Your Own Adventure!〗new chp: 48, 49

 

“I’ll pass,” I hesitatingly answered. The employee pushed his cart ahead, asking the other members of the audience. I would’ve bought a water bottle for Taemin, but the memory of the many water bottles in the waiting rooms made me have second thoughts.

 

The auditorium lights suddenly dimmed, and the chatter of the audience grew loud and excited. I awkwardly scratched the back of my neck, not used to the fanciness and excitement of the dance stage.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen.” A large voice boomed from the speakers hanging from the gold-plated ceiling. “Welcome to SM Dance’s ‘Where the Stars Shine’ Annual Performance.”

 

The buzz of the audience dwindled into mere whispers.

 

“Before we begin, I would like to welcome our director to the stage – please give a hand for Lee Soo Man!”

 

The crowd roared as a dignified man confidently strode onto the stage to give his opening statement. To my surprise, his statement was short and blunt; he didn’t take any roundabout ways. I was glad that I didn’t have to sit through a thirty minute lecture of some sort about the greatness of SM Dance. I listened attentively, clapping at the appropriate times.

 

“Thank you very much. Now, let us officially begin,” He bowed to the cheering audience, lowering his microphone to his side as he disappeared behind the velvet curtains.

 

“Our first performer tonight is a duet. Please welcome Choi Jinri and Lu Han!”

 

The red velvet curtains were slowly pulled apart, revealing a large stage with intricate structures here and there. It was a classical Romeo and Juliet stage set-up – a realistic moonlit night in a garden. A girl sauntered onto the stage, accompanied by a handsome boy. Their feet seemed to be floating as they leapt across the stage, spinning into a graceful waltzing dance.

 

I was stunned by all the dances after Choi Jinri and Lu Han’s as well. My mind was blown, to be honest. Oh Sehoon had intense moves, while Kim Hyoyeon glided around the stage in an emotional dance. I’ve never been good at any sort of dance; I hated it, to be honest. I cried all the time when my dance instructors tried to force me into splits. Luckily, my mom allowed me to quit a few years ago.

 

“Lee Taemin.”

 

The girls from earlier squealed – their giggles filled the auditorium, much to my annoyance. Shaking my head, I focused on his performance. Unlike all the earlier dances, he captured the audience’s heart in a way that was unexplainable. Although popping was well known as more active dance, Taemin managed to transform it into a heartbreaking and very… expressive dance. He made it look so easy.

 

“Woah.”

 

My jaw dropped at the level of his performance – even though I had no idea about dance, Taemin’s skill was beyond my expectations. His movements were like liquid; smooth and enchanting. I was mesmerized by the dance moves that erupted from his thin frame. His costume slightly slipped over his shoulder from his movements.

 

He was… mature.

 

Okay, maybe it wasn’t a good idea to judge someone’s maturity from his or her dance. However, Taemin’s dance gave off such a bittersweet and determined feeling. I found myself, like many others, gripping the sides of the chair. The stage was giving off a powerful aura that compelled me to leap up and dance with him.

 

His routine finished with flashy light effects, as the audience rose to their feet. I immediately shot up from my seat, my clapping filled with enthusiasm. His eyes met mine, and I quickly gave him a thumbs up, mouthing “good job”. His face broke into a satisfied smile as he clutched his sweaty costume, bowing before disappearing into the dark.

 

The rest of the performances blew past me like wind – they were good, but they couldn’t compare to Taemin’s.

 

“Thank you for attending SM Dance’s “Where the Stars Shine” Annual Performance. Please exit through the large doors to your right, left, and back. Donations will be accepted outside. Please do not crowd in front of the waiting room entrance to wait for the performers. Once again, thank you and we hoped you enjoyed our exhibition of our top dancers.”

 

I pushed my way through the bustling crowd and into the hall, where people were clumped in groups. I awkwardly tiptoed around, waiting for Taemin to appear- I wanted to congratulate him on his good performance. I sat on a chair, waiting for him to appear. However, a crowd surrounded him as soon as he took a step out of the waiting room. I patiently waited until the crowd dispersed.

 

“Roori!” Taemin tapped my shoulder. His arms were wrapped around at least five flower bouquets. Instantly, I felt guilty for not bringing flowers.

 

“Oh… hey,” I stood up. “You were really good!”

 

“Thanks,” He answered. He shifted his weight, and I noticed that he had a bag slung on his shoulder in addition to the numerous flowers and gifts.

 

“I’ll help you carry those…flowers,” I gestured. He shook his head, and motioned for me to walk towards the entrance.

 

“I can’t let a girl carry my things for me,” He grinned. He opened the door for me, and I uncomfortably ducked my head in thanks as I walked through the door. We walked to the pick-up area of the theater, awkwardly fidgeting.

 

“It’s six thirty,” He remarked, checking his cellphone.

 

“Do you want to go get drinks?” He spoke up.

 

“Drinks?” I questioned. “We’re underage.”

 

“No- I meant like… coffee? Or perhaps a bakery?” He corrected his mistake. My confused expression morphed into one of understanding.

 

“I’m sorry! I should’ve bought you a water bottle!” I hurriedly blurted. He invited me, and I didn’t bring anything in return.

 

“No, it’s good that you didn’t bring it,” He cheekily replied. “I get to talk to you more.”

 

I let out small chuckle at his reasoning. “I’m paying, then.”

 

“Sounds good!” He childishly grinned. “Let me drop these off first, okay?”

 

“Ack… but if it’s too much trouble …” I pulled a face.


“No, I’d be glad to!” He reached out and waved his arm. A taxi pulled up to the curb, and Taemin opened the back door, stuffing his flower bouquets onto the seat.

 

“Here!” He jokingly bowed, holding the door open. He was so polite that I suddenly felt incredibly guilty.

 

“Thanks,” I muttered, smoothing out the wrinkles in my shirt as I sat in the taxi and pulled the door shut. Taemin slid into the passenger seat, quietly giving directions to the taxi driver. The ride was a quiet one – I simply tilted my head to observe the passing scenery of beautiful city lights. They came in all different colors and sizes, and the sight was absolutely breathtaking.

 

“Pretty,” Taemin’s voice broke my thoughts.

 

“Sorry?” I echoed.

 

“The city lights,” He replied, as the passing city light reflections shone in his eyes. I silently agreed, letting my mind wander into the distance. The taxi pulled to a stop in front of an average-looking apartment complex. It was less fancier than the one I lived in, but I found it more comfortable feeling. To be blunt, his apartment complex was… shabby.

 

“Oh, we’re here,” He unbuckled his seatbelt. “Wait here, okay?”

 

I nodded and watched as he hurried to the other side of the taxi and retrieved the flower bouquets. He sneezed as the petal of a daffodil touched the tip of his nose. I held in my giggle as he mumbled something to himself, and then ran into the complex.

 

It suddenly occurred to me that Taemin was living alone – he never mentioned anything about his parents. But then again, his family could just be poor. My forehead crinkled as I pondered to myself. He seemed like a genuine person, and I already knew that I could trust him.

 

“Is he your boyfriend, miss?” The taxi driver gruffly asked.

 

“No,” Embarrassed, I chuckled.

 

“You two wouldn’t match well, anyways,” The taxi driver nodded in response as he peered at me through the mirror.

 

Huh.

 

 “Why?” I automatically asked, although a bit harsher than I expected to. The sound of pounding footsteps approached the car.

 

“Sorry for the wait!” Taemin called out as he breathlessly took his seat in the passenger seat. “Er…”

 

“Oh… Welcome back!” I faintly smiled.

 

“To Wonderland Crêpes please!” Taemin buckled his seatbelt, oblivious of the tension in the taxi.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Hello, I’m Kim Jonghyun and I will be your waiter for today,” A brown/blonde haired man stood in front of our table. “May I start you off with any drinks?”

 

“I’ll have orange juice,” Taemin answered. “What about you, Roori?”

 

Coffee

Orange Juice



 

A/N

If you haven't seen the previous announcement:
There is an official game adaption of this story being developed right now, by SecretSnow.

Please go to the official  progress thread (here) and leave some encouragement!

In the meantime, here's the opening teaser for the game.