Rivals

Rivals

It’s always been a battle, a rivalry, between the two. Whether it came to soccer, school work, dance, choir, fashion choices, anything, they would battle against each other. When a test rolled around, they would try to study harder than the other, finish the test faster, and get a higher score. It was always in good sport and, if Changjo had to admit, it was fun.

It was fun, at least, until Ricky and he both set their eyes to the same target. They never competed over girls, or boys, and for Changjo, he never wanted to. However, it changed the day they both started their first day in University.

“Hey, my name is Niel and I’ll be your mentor for this first semester.” They were greeted with a bow and smile. The butterfly sensation that has always eluded him has surfaced, and the other didn’t let that slip by.

“We’re supposed to be in University as adults. Why the hell do we need a mentor?” Oh how they groaned and complained and whined when they found out that they were assigned a mentor for their first year. Changjo was the loudest in complaining, letting his hot temper overtake him so easily, while as Ricky would whine and stomp his feet, an action that brought coos of adoration from the girls amongst them, which only caused Changjo to unconsciously flex his muscles, a habit that arose after months of competing with him. Before, it would be a contest on cuteness, but as they grew older, Changjo left his cute image and decided to follow his old friend’s advice and decided to bulk up instead. Though his friend would only ever sleep, he would always go to the gym, and if he didn’t know better, Changjo would have thought that he lived at the gym.

“I don’t want to be babied,” Ricky whined. Ever since Changjo went through a serious case of puberty, Ricky was left with the baby face and the short stature. He mastered how to move his face at just the right angles to exude a strong sense of “manliness”, as he calls it, but it would take too much concentration and self-awareness, so he opted to remain with his cuter image. He didn’t mind, for he obtained people’s attention either way.

There they both were whining and throwing a tantrum as they waited for their mentor. The only reason they were early was for the simple reason that they each wanted to beat each other, and like usual, they both arrived at the same time. Both were in a shared world, so it was of no surprise when they didn’t notice the tall figure approaching them from behind.

“Excuse me,” came the hesitant voice. Both turned around, and while as one let his heart skip a beat, the other just looked on in annoyance. “Are you two Changjo and Ricky?” In an instant, as if broken from a daze, Changjo quickly stood and bowed deeply to the new face, an action that caught Ricky off guard, but was quick to mimic.

“My name is Changjo, please take care of me,” he said quickly. Ricky glanced over at him for a second and only when he saw the light tint of peak overcome his friend’s cheeks did he realize the type of situation that has befallen them. And with a smile that portrayed many intentions, he followed behind.   

“My name is Ricky, please take care of me as well,” he said. They both rose uniformly and were met with a gentle smile.

“Hey, my name is Niel and I’ll be your mentor for this first semester.” He bowed before them as well and the butterfly sensation that has always eluded Changjo has surfaced, and Ricky didn’t let that slip by, and Changjo knew he didn’t. Ricky looked back to Niel and looked him up and down before letting a smirk pass over his face and his tongue to slip out, just lightly his lip.

‘This is going to be fun,’ he thought. He swiftly moved to Niel and offered his hand. Niel took it with a face of momentary confusion. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.” It came out, almost like a purr, and it angered Changjo. Niel smiled back, and as they unclasped hands, Changjo felt that Ricky’s hand lingered just a little too long.  Niel turned suit to Changjo and offered his hand like Ricky had to him, and Changjo took it with a smile.

“It will be fun, don’t worry,” he said. Changjo smiled at Niel’s encouraging words, eyes never leaving his.

By the time midterms rolled around, the three of them had become very close. As it had turned out they had shared two classes together as three, and Niel became a tutor for them as well. One class that Niel struggled with was dance class. Changjo and Ricky took their competitiveness seriously during the class, each grabbing Niel and taking his attention away from the other.

Ricky would always grab hold onto his wrist, his waist, his shoulders, virtually anywhere he could hold onto the older boy. He would always make sure to lean close to the boy. Changjo would always be angered, and would promptly interrupt them, an action that would bring a barely noticeable relief onto Niel’s face. Changjo, he was different. He didn’t see Niel as someone to compete over. When he helped Niel, he would keep a comfortable distance and always look him in the eye. He would go slow and patient, something that he had always struggled with. Every time he felt like he was getting closer with Niel, Ricky would appear. Even though he didn’t see Niel as a prize, he would become easily jealous.

It was for this reason that he was always elated to get to his vocal class. Each of the students were paired up, and it was only with elation that he entered for he as paired with Niel while as Ricky was paired with another upperclassman named Chunji. Both Niel and Chunji were praised for being two of the best in the school, so Changjo could only feel pride. Whenever in class, he would only ever be focused on Niel, so he would never notice the staring from Ricky, though every now and again he could hear Chunji scolding him for not paying attention, but even then, it was only for a moment that his attention left Niel.

He worked for praise from the older. He never acted like he was failing, but when he had a hard time, he talked with him. Ricky on the other hand, he would always try to get Niel to help him when he “failed”. He would always switch between lingering touches and a cute face, confusing many and Changjo about his intentions.

But it was at midterms that the tension came to a . It was only the day of that Changjo had learned that Niel’s class had to put on a performance for their exam, and it was only then that he learned that Niel was in the advanced performance class as well his beginner’s class. How? He didn’t know, but he rushed over to the auditorium as the crowd came in. He made sure to get a seat towards the middle to get the best view of Niel. He sat and waited. Chunji came and performed before him, and his song moved him to tears. He understood why he was considered one of the best of the school, but he only moved forward in his seat as Niel came out.

He stood in the darkness, grey school uniform on, and a female student stood to the side with glasses and a folder. As the tune to let him know the key echoed in, he spoke to her. His hair was fluffed and curled, and as he finished speaking, a bell went off similar to the schools. He ran back to a table, and after a moment, the music started. Changjo smiled at5 Niel’s change of expressions, but as he started singing, his smile changed into one of awe. He watched as his expressions seemed to lure the audience in, and how his stage presence captured everyone in the auditorium.  He watched as the backup dancers became nothing more than a frame to compliment him.

In an instant, the music stopped and the beat changed. He watched as Niel jumped atop the table and removed his jacket, feeling the atmosphere change about him. He was mesmerized by Niel and the way he was just so alive on stage. He couldn’t let his eyes move away from him. He felt his mouth run dry when he loosened his tie and his stomach flip when he executed the body roll. He clenched his hands as he held the long note and felt like he could see the protrusion of his veins in his neck.

But it was when the beat slowed that his stomach dropped, not out of excitement, but of jealousy. The female student from earlier had reappeared, and in an instant, she was on him. He knew it was only a performance, but he couldn’t help but feel unease with the way Niel looked at her. It was only a sense of relief when she walked back away, and he was once again enthralled by Niel’s long note, but seeing her in the background made him uneasy for he knew that they weren’t finished. In an instant, they were together again. He loved and hated it.

The audience cheered, but Changjo just sat and smiled. He was happy, he was proud, but he couldn’t shake the feeling of jealousy wash over him. It was after Niel had left the stage that he noticed a head of spiked hair further towards his left.

‘Did Niel tell Ricky?’ He wondered. It was with that thought that the surge of jealousy only increased. He couldn’t control himself anymore and left from the back and found his way backstage.

“Chunji, where’s Niel?” He asked. Chunji looked at him with surprise at first before answering.

“He’s in the dressing room.” Changjo nodded and ran towards the back leaving Chunji dumbfounded. With a heavy hand, he knocked, controlling himself from just going in, or worse, breaking the door down.

“Hold on, I’m changing,” came the bellow.

“It’s Changjo!” He called out. A moment of silence followed before the door was opened just enough to show Niel’s head.

“I didn’t think you’d come,” he said. Changjo shook his head before pushing himself in, an action that caused Niel to fall over. He clutched the opening of his shirt closed in an attempt to hide from Changjo’s eyes. “You could have just asked, you didn’t have to knock me over.”

“What do you mean you didn’t think I would come? I didn’t even know this was happening until LJoe told me.” Niel looked up at him with confusion.

“Ricky didn’t give you the invitation?” Changjo clenched his fist as he turned away, willing himself to calm down. “It’s okay, I’ll talk to him la-“

“No.” Changjo voice was sudden. “Don’t talk to Ricky. He is treating this like a God damn game and I’m tired of it.” With that, he sunk to the floor and held his head in his hands. He was angry. He wanted to find Ricky and show him how angry he is, but he couldn’t do that. They’re friends, no matter how ty they are to each other. A gentle hand rested on his shoulder. He looked up to see Niel looking at him with a concerned face. Niel gently rubbed his thumb under his eye.

“Don’t cry,” he cooed. Changjo barely realized that he was crying, but he felt comfort with Niel. “I know Ricky and you have a thing going on, competition or whatever, but it’s okay. I know you aren’t treating me like that.” Changjo just rubbed his eyes, anger sizzling down, but not gone. “Besides, I chose that song for a reason.”

The performance flashed through his mind again, but he ignored the girl and focused on Niel’s words.

“I think it’s love,” Changjo sang. Niel just nodded, hand still clutching his shirt. Changjo embraced him with a smile.

“Go in there and I will kick your !” Chunji’s screams were heard from outside, and Changjo could only guess who he was talking to.

“Go ahead and do it then!” Came Ricky’s voice. Before a knock was made, Changjo yelled.

“Knock on this God damn door or come into this God damn room and I will kick you mother ing !” No knock came, but a yell of an in pain Ricky did.

“Leave them alone and stop trying to be a block. Practice your scales instead and maybe you wouldn’t need me to you in order to hit that God damn note!” Changjo’s eyes widened and his mouth shrunk before he looked at Niel who looked back at him with the same expression.

“I guess your rivalry is over,” he said. Changjo smiled and nodded.

“I guess it is.” Niel leaned in and gave Changjo a peck on the cheek, but Changjo just grabbed him and pulled him forward. It may not have been a competition, but he got his prize anyway.