05

The Little Bumblebee

Jealousy? Or ice cream?


"Spill, girl," Chanyeol narrows his eyes at you the next day when you are sitting up on your bed with him sitting on the study chair.

Chanyeol kept to his promise and came over to visit you. Kai was running a bit late since he had a dance practice this morning. Using the spare time you have before Kai arrives, Chanyeol starts interrogating you. But you have no idea what he is talking about, so how are you going to reply him?

"What?" You look at him puzzled.

"What happened yesterday? Tell me everything."

"Nothing happened yesterday..." You mumble.

"Do you know how bad you are at lying?" Chanyeol rolls his eyes. "You can't lie now, you'll probably never be able to lie 20 years later."

You weigh your chances. Chanyeol is your best friend. What's there to lose if you told him about your crush on Kai? He might laugh at you, sure. But he's your best friend. A best friend never judges. Maybe for a while but other than that, you're certain that Chanyeol might even give you some advice. Not to mention, he's the closest guy friend Kai has. He probably knows more about the boy than you do.

So you end up telling Chanyeol everything. Starting from yesterday and then judging his expression. He didn't even look shocked that you have a crush on Kai, so you explain to him when it had started. He is just mad that you hadn't told him anything. But you explained to him about it and he understands. He knows how you're a shy girl, so it's not uncommon that you like to hide your feelings.

"You're saying Kai kissed you?" Chanyeol asks dubiously. You nod, trying to suppress that annoyance you get from Chanyeol not believing you. "That's weird..."

"Why?" Do you even want to hear the answer to that?

The boy shrugs, "I don't know. It's just... Weird."

You don't want to ask more because you know Chanyeol won't say anything anyway. So you get up to open the door when Kai rings the doorbell. He greets you with his usual smile, dropping his bag on the ground next to the couch when he walks in. The two boys acknowledge each other. While they are talking, you rummage through your wardrobe for Kai's clothes. You get fresh apparels for him and bring them to the bathroom, grabbing a towel too.

"Kai!" You yell for the sweaty boy. You hear footsteps nearing as you set the temperature of the water for him to shower in. The boy enters the bathroom and you tell him, "Shower and then we'll have lunch out."

He hums and you smile, leaving him to shower. You get ready as well, wearing warm enough for the oncoming winter weather. You sit next to Chanyeol on the couch, watching television. Chanyeol seems deep in thought but the drama on screen is too distracting for you to care about him. At last, Kai leaves the bathroom as he dries his hair with his towel.

You're getting hungry and if Kai is only going to use his towel to dry his hair, you'll end up eating dinner for your first meal. So you go to your room to get your hairdryer. You plug it in and call Kai. He comes in and when he sees what you're holding onto, he shakes his head. You know he's too lazy to dry his hair with a hairdryer.

"I'll do it for you," you roll your eyes. You beckon him to the seat in front of your dresser. "Come here."

Kai sighs in defeat and you grin at how a girl could dominate the almighty Kai. He sits still in front of the mirror, watching you dry his hair through the reflection. You can feel his stare but you ignore it. You can't blush. Kai's gonna laugh at you if you do. You push his fringe up, your hand in contact with his forehead. Kai jerks and you glance at him worriedly in the mirror. He looks sleepy.

You chuckle, "Feeling comfortable?" Kai nods sleepily. Your heart warms at the sight of sleepy Kai. You push his head back gently until the back of his head is resting against your tummy. "You can rest for a bit."

"Mmm," he hums in contentment and your stomach flips at how close he is to you.

As you continue drying his hair, Chanyeol enters the room. He pauses, seeing the both of you like this. Then he lays on your bed, watching you play hairdresser. When you are done, Kai wakes up immediately because the abrupt silence without the hairdryer is too deafening. Ironically. He rubs his eye cutely and you have a soft smile on your face. Kai's too groggy to notice.

You ruffle his soft hair and leave the room, going out to wear your boots. Chanyeol and Kai come out of the room too. Just before you all leave the house though, Kai flings his gray scarf around your neck. He wraps it round thrice and makes sure it covers you until your chin. His fingers graze your skin and your heart leaps at that interaction. You feel giddy smelling Kai's scent.

"Let's have hotpot," Chanyeol chirps when you're all in the lift. You shrug and Kai agrees.

So Chanyeol drives to the usual hotpot place. You are still slightly sniffling and the two boys in the front seats seem worried. You always notice their eyes darting to the rear view mirror to keep an eye on you. When you guys finally reach the restaurant, you sit next to Chanyeol with Kai opposite you. There isn't a lot of people since it's early and no one eats hotpot this early. You let the boys choose what to order as your eyes roam around the place.

"Sweetheart, we got you hot tea, okay?" Kai gently informs you and you nod. He scans your face for a bit then says, "Have you been eating your meds?"

"I don't eat meds."

"Sure you don't, Iron Man," Kai rolls his eyes.

"Do you even have medicine?" Chanyeol asks. He touches your neck under the scarf and feels your temperature. "You're a bit feverish, you know that?"

"Huh?" You frown, touching your forehead. You feel fine though. You don't catch the way Kai and Chanyeol glaring at each other. You suggest, "Maybe it's because I'm wrapped up."

You start doffing the scarf and your jacket. Meanwhile, Chanyeol leans back, stretching his arm behind your chair. You notice how Kai seems to be glaring at the boy next to you when Chanyeol starts playing with the ends of your hair. You turn to look at Chanyeol but he smiles at you, touching your cheek with the back of his finger.

"Don't you need to go to the toilet?" Kai irritably asks Chanyeol. Chanyeol never said anything about going to the restroom though.

Chanyeol pretends to think about it. Then he shakes his head, grinning, "Nope."

Kai rolls his eyes, obviously annoyed. But you're not sure why. You feel something being wrapped around your legs, so you glance down. Kai's legs are tucked around yours. You look at him but he is looking elsewhere, a tiny smile playing on his lips. He looks contented, so you let him do it anyway. If Kai is happy doing that, then you'd gladly let him continue. It isn't like you don't like it too.

Chanyeol sees someone he knows as he perks up, raising his hand and waving to the person. You and Kai take a look at who the giant is calling out to. You feel Kai's legs tighten around yours. The two boys seem to recognise the male walking towards your table. You don't know him though. You've never paid attention to him, actually. You had probably seen him somewhere before, just that you didn't give him a second glance. Now that you're seeing him for the first time, you realise how handsome he is.

When he is standing by the table, Chanyeol introduces him to you, "This is Sehun." You nod, shaking his hand. You realise Chanyeol hadn't even introduced you to him because, "I'd introduce her but you already know."

Sehun sits at the empty spot next to Kai and you find yourself staring at him. He is extremely handsome. His eyebrows are on point, his nose is sharp, his lips are small and pink. He is wearing a beanie, his forehead bare. Perched on his nose is a pair of round glasses with very thin wire. You don't think it's an actual pair of spectacles just because he doesn't seem like the kind to wear them. He has great fashion sense too, judging from what he wears.

"Fancy seeing you here!" Chanyeol chirps.

Sehun smiles at you before replying Chanyeol as he points to a table behind him with his thumb, "I'm here with a Chinese friend. I'll go back soon." He looks back at you, "How are you feeling?" Seeing your questioning expression, Sehun chuckles. "Right. We were supposed to go to the club on Friday. But Chanyeol told me you can't go because you're sick. I assume Kai here accompanied you?"

You glance at Kai and his jaw seems set. He is refraining himself from saying something. You look back at Sehun and nod. You apologise, "I'm sorry for backing out all of a sudden."

He waves a hand, "Nothing's as important as your health, cutie."

A blush creeps up on you and you feel Kai's legs loosen. He isn't hugging your legs with his anymore. Sehun laughs along with Chanyeol and you blush even more. Chanyeol rubs the back of his fingers against your cheek like an affectionate brother. Amidst all of these, you know something isn't right with Kai. Even though he is normally very quiet around other people, you can feel Kai's annoyance.

The food arrives and Sehun says, "I'll leave first. Enjoy your food." The three of you watch Sehun stand. He tucks in the chair and pierces you with an intense stare. "Nice to formally meet you. And please take care of yourself."

You're not sure why Sehun is so concerned over your health. But you nod, giving him a polite smile. Sehun walks back to his table and you only look away once he sits. The boys have already started dropping food into the hotpot when you turn to them. Finally when all the food is cooking, Chanyeol informs you guys that he needs to use the restroom. When he leaves, there is an awkward silence between you and Kai. Weird.

"Are you okay?" You venture, eyeing Kai's every movement. He isn't moving much.

Kai looks up from stirring the broth. He is looking at you but he seems distant. Like he is staring right through you. He shrugs. You frown, not liking his cold treatment very much. It sends a pang to your heart. You want to ask him why he's so quiet, why he's giving you a cold shoulder. You want to ask him to stop ignoring you. Because you honestly think that you might die.

 

 

For some reason, you're seeing Sehun a lot lately. He has been hanging out a lot with your clique recently. You can't say you don't like his presence because he's handsome (good for the eyes), he's funny and cute (good for the soul), and he's caring (good for the heart). He is just like Kai and Chanyeol, taking good care of you every time he's around. On top of that, you're comfortable with him.

But you can't say you like his presence too because every time he comes around, Kai would shut up. He doesn't talk much around Sehun and he doesn't like to acknowledge you. You miss Kai's voice at times like this but you don't want Sehun to misjudge you as hostile, so you interact with Sehun to make up for Kai's lack of sociability. Kai doesn't hang out with you guys much either, too. He's been giving excuses to ditch all your activities and truth be told, you miss him. You miss him so much.

"Hello?" You hear Kai's low voice through the phone. You had to resort to calling him because you don't see him anymore. And the fact that you think of him so much that you had to call him up.

"Hey, Kai," you murmur into the phone softly. You know he heard you because he shifts the phone. "I miss you."

He doesn't say anything this time and all you hear is silence. You wonder if he had heard you but then he speaks up, "I miss you too, sweetheart." He sighs and your heart clenches at how pained he sounds. "Where are you now?"

"Me?" You feel giddy at the prospect of meeting up with Kai again, finally. "I'm just done with classes."

It is quiet for a moment before Kai asks like the gentleman he is, "Can I bring you out for ice cream?"


Author's note:

First off, thank you so so much for giving The Little Bumblebee so much love! I see your comments and tweets and I feel so motivated to write up the next chapter. I'm already working on Chapter 06! 

I promised a follower of mine on Twitter that I would personally thank her friend, Kalie. So hi Kalie! Thank you for reading my first Kai fic and I'm very happy that you like it. Just stop crying because I don't wanna make anyone cry hahaha. It's supposed to make your heart flutter! I hope you enjoyed reading this update!

Thank you to my other readers too! Tweet me on @103oclock, or just talk to me here. I always accept friend requests and always reply to messages!