nine

The Little Bumblebee

Rich With Love


Sehun and I held our gazes strong, not backing down once. We were both stubborn and when it came to you, I definitely wasn't going to lose out. I challenged the boy with my glare. After a few moments when he probably realised this was going nowhere, I noticed him softening his gaze. Just like how Chanyeol and I could, Sehun and I conversed through our eyes too. It was a guy thing.

'You're serious about this?'

'Of course I am,' I narrowed my eyes.

Understanding my gaze, Sehun immediately stuck out his hand. His eyes held the look one got when he was defeated. I saw you turn to me. I took Sehun's hand, clasping his hand tightly. You seemed confused. But it was something you didn't need to know. Sehun was grinning at me and I smiled back, sensing that he was sincerely happy for us. I liked him. 

"It was fair play," Sehun nodded, chuckling in disbelief. "I guess I took too long," I could hear the remorse in his words.

 I shrugged. In an attempt to make him feel better, I joked, "Or maybe I'm hotter." 

Sehun laughed heartily. We let go of our hands as you smacked me on the arm, giving me look that told me to watch my mouth. Sehun's eyes darted between us before resting his gaze on you. The sincerity in his countenance and speech was easily translated. "Congratulations and I'm glad you're happy."

You were smiling, and I felt a sense of relief wash over me. I knew Sehun wasn't going to pull any stunts now. He just wasn't the kind of guy to steal an attached girl. And I also knew that you'd rather be with me than Sehun. I thought I was stupid to even think that you even held an ounce of romantic feelings for the boy. Not after getting together and experiencing your love firsthand. 

Chanyeol clapped his hands, his face adorning a bored expression. "Okay, now that's over, let's continue."

We all moved on into the night. We were more open with our touches now, no longer being discreet. Once, you were cupping the side of my face while you wiped a smudged of chocolate I had eaten off the corner of my lips with your thumb. Halfway through, I had my head on your lap as I laid down, exhausted. The happenings of the night died down as a few knocked out due to alcohol and/or sleep. I was already tired as hell and Chanyeol was staggering a bit by the end of everything. It was half an hour past three when you announced to Chanyeol and I that we were going back. 

As gently as you could, you lifted my head from your lap so that you could go tell Sehun that we were leaving. Chanyeol and I immediately stood up and went to follow you. We stayed behind, near the door, leaning onto each other while you talked to Sehun. Your voice was too soft for me to hear, but I saw Sehun nodding sleepily. You patted his head in a motherly fashion before before walking towards us with a soft smile on your face. I clasped your hand in mine the moment you got to us and Chanyeol groaned and rolled his eyes, his head lolling for added intensity. You chuckled and I squeezed your hand. Chanyeol hadn't yet handed you the car keys so you could drive even when we were nearing the car.

"Yah, don't make my girlfriend you while you're drunk like this," I muttered, my words mashing together. 

The giant scoffed, but dug his pocket for the car keys. He held it out to you and you took it. Chanyeol was sleeping in the back seat and I was nodding off in the front. I didn't want to sleep, I actually wanted to stay awake to keep you company. I was so tired that I fell asleep without knowing. However, when I woke up when the car came to a stop light. I rubbed my eye tiredly. How long more till we get home?

I turned to look at you, surprised that you were staring at me. I grinned, the butterflies in my stomach fluttering at the mere thought of you watching me sleep. It wasn't just me who did it, then. I leant in, covering your lips with mine. Your lips twitched and I knew you were smiling. 

"Go back to sleep," you murmured and started to drive again. "I'll wake you when we're there." 

I didn't want to. Instead, I wrenched your hand away from the steering wheel, holding onto your hand tightly. I brought our intertwined hands up to my lips, leaving a soft kiss on the back of your hand. You brought your hand back. I thought you were going to let go, but instead, you left our hands on your lap. My thumb was smoothing yuur skin absentmindedly. I watched you drive the entire time, my eyes fixed on you. My eyes weren't even fully open, but yet I didn't want to close my eyes. You were enchanting, and I was almost bewitched. I couldn't seem to stop kissing you because every few seconds, I would lean over to kiss you on the cheek, jaw, neck, lips, sometimes even your earlobe. You didn't complain, but the soft smile on your face was enough to tell me that you were contented.

Once we were parked, you squeezed my hand. I tugged on yours and you gave a faint yelp as you flew towards me. I wrapped my arm around your back, trying to get you closer to me as I kissed you. I traced your bottom lip and flicked my tongue in your wet cavern. You gasped, clenching on my hand tightly. I had wanted to kiss you fully on the lips like this all day. I decided we could let Chanyeol sleep a little longer as I entered your foreign wet cave. Tentatively, I pushed against your tongue with mine and you responded. 

I thought I could hear the fireworks outside the car. The feeling I got from kissing you the first time was something I could never forget. It was something I would recount to my children, whether or not you were going to be my wife. This was going to be the best kiss in my entire lifetime and I wished you were my first kiss. All the sloppy kisses I had with my ex-girlfriends were forgotten and erased. I only craved and desired for your kisses. I wanted every kiss in the rest of my lifetime to be exactly like this spark igniting kiss.

Chanyeol and I were sleeping on the bed while you were washing up. He was snoring already, but I was struggling to keep awake as I waited for you. At last, the lights from the outside were turned off. I felt you pressing against my calf and I heard Chanyeol groaning in his sleep as you crawled towards us. You whispered an apology and I was amused at how you were being considerate even knowing we couldn't hear you. 

The moment you got under the blanket in between Chanyeol and I, I circled my arm around your waist and pulled you towards me. There was no space in between our bodies. You held onto my forearm, surprised at the sudden movement. I snuggled my face into your hair, breathing in your sweet smell. I bent my legs and yours bent with mine. We were spooning. I could feel your heartbeat accelerate. Or maybe it was mine. I wasn't too sure. I dropped my head and kissed you on the shoulder. I rested my head back on the pillow, ready to catch some sleep when you pecked my lips quickly. 

Almost instinctively, I went forward and kissed you with my own initiative. I chuckled into the kiss, my teeth grazing your lips. I pulled away from the sweet kiss, burying my face into your neck again to get ready to sleep. You sighed with contentment. 

That night, I went to sleep with your taste in my mouth and your sweet aroma filling my every breath.

 

 

"So my engineering tutor—" Chanyeol was cut off mid-sentence.

"Hey, guys!" 

We all turned to see Jongdae waving enthusiatically at us. He was holding onto his girlfriend's hand and I was guilty that I don't do this with you in school. I never liked skinship in public, especially in front of people I was acquainted with. You knew that, of course. And you were okay with it. But I still felt bad that all I ever allowed was you to hold my hand or to hug my arm. Presently, I nodded at all of them and they smiled back. You and Chanyeol waved.

Jongdae's girlfriend took a seat next to Chanyeol with her boyfriend close behind her. "I'm finally seeing you in school!" Jongdae excitedly exclaimed. You giggled at his energy and he beamed at you. "So, what are you guys doing now?"

Baekhyun chipped in, teasing Chanyeol, "Chanyeol, are you playing gooseberry?!" The victim of the teasing gave an appalled face and Baekhyun laughed, waving his hand. He noted the distance you and I were sitting. "Kidding!" He said, realising just how un-coupley we were being. 

"Waiting for our next class," you politely answered Jongdae. 

"Wanna grab lunch together?" Xiumin invited. Chanyeol and I shrugged and you beamed at them as an answer. "Let's go!" 

As we walked, you took the initiative to hold onto me. You hugged my arm like a bolster, one arm wrapped around my hand and your other hand rested on my forearm. Baekhyun and I were talking about the latest news of a soccer player getting injured. You were quiet, not interested in the conversation. I felt bad for you and suddenly, I felt like the worst boyfriend. It pained me that I couldn't give the world's most wonderful girl what she deserved and I blamed myself for it. 

When we were seated and going through the menu, I had my hand on your thigh under the table. Even though we were in public, I did actions like these only because I knew it was subtle. I didn't like being too showy and obvious. I rubbed your skin with my thumb as I conversed with the others. You were talking to Jongdae's girlfriend too. 

I squeezed your leg as I murmured, "No cold noodles, okay?" You looked at me and I explained, "The weather's already cold." You nodded. Chanyeol was sitting at the other end of the table, talking to the others. Everyone was listening to his story which we've already heard before. So I whispered, "Wanna stay over?" 

You laughed, hitting my arm. I grinned, squeezing your thigh affectionately. You muttered, "I've been staying over at yours so much that I'm beginning to forget how my own place looks! I keep thinking I have two dogs." 

You were so cute. 

"Jjanggu and Monggu love you," I rolled my eyes cheekily. I relented and declared shamelessly, "Fine, then I'll just stay over at yours."

"You're unbelievable," you sighed, shaking your head as you glared at me playfully. 

I beamed at you, leaning away. I stretched to rest my hand around your chair, my fingers distractedly going through your hair as I talked to Xiumin. After lunch, we stayed a little longer to exchange phone numbers. You had an expression on your face that told me you were proud of me. I knew exactly why. I never liked hanging out with people I wasn't close to. Which was why I only stuck with you and Chanyeol in school. I was surprised myself too, that I was able to click with these boys. We soon split up and I told you I'd go over to your place after feeding Janggu and Monggu.

Time passed slower than ever since I left your side and I all but rushed back home. I hastily prepared food for my dogs and left them. I wasn't spending much time with them these days, but at least you do whenever you came over. They definitely liked you a lot more than me now even though I was the one feeding them and sheltering them. Ungrateful brats.

I was in front of your apartment door, waiting for you to open it. You did, and I greeted you with a peck on your lips. You walked back to the kitchen as I entered, closing the door behind me. I took off my shoes and went over to see what you were cooking. I was not interested, so I gave you a kiss on the cheek before going to the living room to watch television. It wasn't even 15 minutes later when I heard you scream (maybe I was exaggerating a little). I bolted from my seat, flying into the kitchen. At once, I pulled you towards me and away from the stove, grabbing and inspecting your arms. You started laughing when you saw how I came to realise that you were unbruised. I narrowed my eyes on you and wrinkled my nose. You kissed me in order to make me feel less annoyed and it worked. 

I grinned into the kiss and you pulled away. "Do you wanna eat now? It's already ready."

I nodded and said with a straight face, "After we eat, let's do our homework." Your face depicted disbelief and I laughed, tucking stray hair behind your ear. We never do homework around each other when we didn't have to. "Just kidding, let's cuddle."

You chuckled, reaching to turn off the fire and preparing bowls of udons for us. "You know, Kai, you don't even look like someone who likes to cuddle. But if people actually know you, you're like a freaking teddy bear."

"I need constant love, sweetheart," I beamed, taking the bowls from you and bringing them to the table. You were giving me a look that said 'No ?' I repeated as I walked back, "I need constant love from you."

"I give you constant love already!" You giggled, walking away from me and towards the table to sit.

"I know," I said as I brought two glasses of water to the dining table. I paused next to you and gave you an affectionate kiss on the cheek. As we jumped topics throughout dinner, I got the time to ask you seriously, "Do you ever get upset when I don't show skinship like other boyfriends?"

You didn't miss a beat as you shook your head, chewing on your noodles. You spoke with your mouth slightly full, "Nope. It's something you don't like, and I respect that."

"But would you like it if I showed more skinship?" My question was quiet and you must have noted the gloominess in my tone. 

"Hey, Jongin," you murmured in a soothing tone. My heart stuttered at you using my real name. "I'll take whatever you give me, okay? Because it's from my Kim Jongin. And I'll receive anything my perfect boyfriend gives me."

We stared at each other for a little longer. You were smiling at me, your eyes sincere and soft, lulling me to feel safe and secure. We eventually moved out of the depressing atmosphere that was created by me. We finished the food and I insisted to wash the dishes since you cooked for us. While I was washing up, you were in your room, watching a drama. I was staring at your ajar room, daydreaming. I made plans to go out tomorrow with my high school friend. I was initially going alone, but I guess I wouldn't be anymore. 

The moment I was done with the clearing, I rushed into the room, throwing my body at you. You make a strangled noise as you fell backwards and that made me laugh. However, I wasn't so mean as to squash you like this. I placed both hands beside your head and held myself up. The bottom part of my body was still on you, but from my waist up, I was hovering over your body. I dipped my head and brushed your hair out of your face with my nose. My jawline and nose was tickling you and you were giggling and snorting with laughter. I felt your skin on my lips as I grinned. I sighed in content, lifting my head after planting millions of buterfly kisses on your face. 

"What would I do without you?" I blurted.

You groaned playfully, rolling your eyes, "You're so cheesy!" 

I sniggered as I dropped my hand, falling flat on top of you. I brushed your hair aside, leaving your neck exposed. I hid my face in the crook of your neck, dragging my lips across your skin. You moaned softly and I quickly rolled to the side. I sat up against the headboard, gulping. I needed to restrain myself sometimes. But you were so damn addictive. I grabbed your arms and brought you to sit in front of me. You were in between my legs, your back leaning against my chest. I embraced you warmly around your waist while I entangled our legs together. You were watching the TV and I was watching you, giving you kisses. Even your head was tilted to the side so that I had more access to plant my lips on you.

We cuddled like this until you eventually fell asleep in my embrace. Carefully, I extracted you out of my arms. I turned off the lights and the TV before returning to snuggle with you. I slept soundly with my nose buried in your hair, my hand pressing you closer towards my chest. I didn't want to wake, just like every other time we slept together. Every night was a real life dream and I was half-conscious most of the time because of your presence next to me.

But I had to, of course. I was meeting Taemin today and he would kill me if he found out I blew him off because I wanted to snuggle up with my girlfriend. Regretfully, I woke up, gave you a peck on your parted lips in your unconscious state and went to take a shower. I was already slightly late when I got out of the toilet. I went to shake you awake and you opened your eyes sleepily. I welcomed you into a new day as I kissed your nose and your lips. You moaned and whined, wanting to go back to sleep.

"We're going out today, baby," I told you, your cheek with the back of my index finger. Your eyes were closed pleasantly. 

"But you're going to meet Taemin," your speech was slurred with sleep. 

"Yeah, but I want you to come with me. We're already late and Taemin doesn't like people who are late." 

"What will he do?" You scoffed, your eyes still closed as you relished in the sensation of my finger carressing your cheek.

"He bears grudges on people, he'll probably break off our friendship." 

Your eyes snapped open, now wide awake. I grinned, watching you with amusement as you ran to the bathroom, not wanting to be the cause of our estranged friendship. 

 

 

"You lied!" You whined as we waited for Taemin to arrive. "You said he's already waiting!" 

I laughed at you, who was sitting atop the hood of my car. I shook my head, leaving my hands on your waist, "No, I didn't say that. I only said he doesn't like people who are late."

"He's late," you snapped, slapping my hands away from you irritably. 

I sniggered at your feistiness because of the lack of sleep. I told you, "He doesn't like people who are later than him. Because he's always the one that's late so he doesn't have to wait for people." 

"I could have slept longer!" You complained, hitting my arm repeatedly. 

I binded your wrists, keeping you from abusing me. Pulling you closer to me and to the edge of the car, I hugged your waist and you gasped. You always seemed surprised whenever I showed skinship. Occasionally, I displayed a lot of skinship towards you only because I felt extremely in the mood to show you a lot of love then. But from today onwards, I was going to work on trying to display more of my affection publicly. I realised that it wasn't only going to make you happy, but it was going to also strengthen our bond. You didn't have to doubt my affection for you because I didn't show you any. I was going to translate my love as best as I could through my actions.

"You're spending time with me, don't you like that?" I asked you even though I already knew your answer.

You sighed and shook your head, "No, of course I like it, Kai. I like being with you." I smirked at you but you frowned, "But I don't like intruding your reunion with Taemin."

"He'll like you," I assured you. "Besides, I wanna show you off to everyone I know. Next stop would be my parents."

"Oh no!" You shouted, your eyes wide. "Not yet, no. No!"

"Yah, can you stop bullying your girl," we heard a bored voice coming from behind. I turned to see Taemin walking towards us, looking meticulously hot thanks to the extra time he got while my beloved girlfriend lost some sleep, waiting for him. 

"Yah, can't you be on time for once," I questioned back even though our statements didn't sound as much so like questions. 

"I would have been if you told me you were bring your girlfriend," he blew a raspberry. He beamed his thousand-watt smile at you, attempting to throw you off with his magnifence. "Hello, I'm Taemin!" You smiled back, no sign of swooning as you introduced yourself. I gave Taemin a smug smile. He ignored me and asked, "What do you wanna eat? We'll eat whatever you want." 

"It's fine," you murmured, my shirt shyly. 

I helped you get off the hood with a strong arm around your waist. I kept my hand there even as we walked off in search of finding a nice restaurant to eat at. Taemin decided to tease me, "I've never seen you holding your ex-girlfriends like this, Jongin. What's gotten into you?"

"I'm a changed man now, Taemin," I mumbled, watching you take in the stretch of shops from the side of my eye. 

"Because of her?" He whispered, nudging me playfully. I made a face at him, a look that said I was going to punch him if he didn't shut his mouth. He shrugged but kept that naughty smirk on his countenance.

"Thought of anything to eat yet?" I asked you, letting go of your waist and taking your hand in mine instead. It was more comfortable this way. I squeezed your hand. 

"Chicken?" You suggested, glancing at me before setting eyes on Taemin. 

He burst out laughing, "Yah, no wonder she's your girlfriend! The both of you are like the chicken couple." 

"Yah, this is the first time she chose to eat chicken, okay," I harrumphed, walking away with you. Taemin rushed to catch up with us. I grumbled to you, "He is so mean, isn't he?"

You giggled, shaking your head. Your thumb was rubbing the back of my hand. "Nah, I think he's funny."

"Sometimes I wanna kill him."

"I'm right here~" 

"Then stand somewhere else." 

"But I wanna be your girlfriend too."

"I said, stand somewhere else."

"I don't wanna~" 

"I swear to G—"

"We're here!" Your voice overrode our quarreling. You were pushing against the door of a restaurant and I immediately assisted you. The moment I got in after you, I didn't leave the door open for Taemin. You gave me an amused look, "Do you act like this every time you're with him?"

"Act like how?" I raised my eyebrows, curious. I didn't think I acted differently when I was with anyone. I actually thought I acted quite the same with everyone and anyone. Maybe except you. You were always an exception.

You pretended to think, then grinned cheekily. "A child?" 

"I don't act like a child!" I whined.

"You see what I have to deal with if you're not around?" Taemin shook his head at you, feeling sorry for himself. 

I rolled my eyes, "Yah, you're the one who acts like the biggest child, okay!" 

We were moved to a table and I sat next to you with Taemin opposite me. I was playing footsie with you under the table as I talked to Taemin. I was in a good mood, partly because you were here with me. Another reason was that I was reunited with Taemin again. He was always busy because of his school work and his dancing. We hardly spent time together anymore and if we ever did, we would only have a dinner or watch a movie. We no longer stayed out the entire day like we used to in high school because life was a bit more hectic now. However, today was the only few times after four years that we were free on the same day to spend the entire day together. We had planned to eat and watch a movie, then dance. 

We were all feeding our hungry stomachs now. Taemin nor I didn't forget to include you in our conversations. Taemin was one of my best friends, besides you and Chanyeol. It was no surprise that he knew how much you meant to me. He wanted you to feel comfortable with him and most importantly, to feel included. You weren't awkward with Taemin either. In fact, I would say that you rather liked the idiot. You treated him just like how you treated Chanyeol or me. It made me jealous that Taemin was so easily accepted as good friend now but I tried not to feel that way towards my best friend. 

"What are you guys doing later?" You asked us as you wiped your mouth with a napkin. 

I spotted some dirt on your finger, so I tore your hand away from your face. You were staring at Taemin, waiting for his answer. But the male's gaze was transfixed on his best friend who was cleaning his girlfriend's hand so delicately as though she was going to integrate into ashes if he used too much force. I knew why he looked like that and I wasn't afraid to admit it. I never liked showing skinship, just as I said. In the past, I would have quickly wiped the dirt off my girlfriend's hand, or maybe even just passed her the napkin. But now, I was turning your hand over and over, checking for some spots I had missed. I even cleaned your other hand for you. 

"We were planning to watch a movie, but I think we'll pass today," Taemin stuttered, finally breaking out of his reverie. 

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What? Today's the only time we're free the entire day though!" 

Taemin sighed, leaning against the back of his chair. "We can still dance, but not for too long. I forgot I had a dinner today with my family."

I groaned, giving him a dirty look. "I can't believe you're ditching me." 

He totally acted like he didn't hear me, facing you instead. You had a sorry look on your face that was directed at me. You didn't like me being upset and even though I didn't say anything, I was sure that you could feel my unhappiness on this arrangement. Taemin gave you a hopeful smile, "You're joining us, yeah?" 

You glanced at him, then back at me. Screwing up your face, you bobbed your shoulders up and down. You didn't want to intrude. "I'm not sure..."

"Come with us." My voice was soft and pleading, a stark difference as when I spoke to Taemin. He, of course, noticed the contrast. "I'll buy you your favourite cake after?" 

"Fine," you nodded. "Only because I've never seen you dance with Taemin, though. Not because of the cake."

"Sure, sweetheart," I chuckled, flicking your chin. I turned to Taemin, my eyes turning back to the plain and dull look I always had when I was looking at anything or anyone but you. "Let's go. Same place?" 

"Same place," Taemin nodded, grinning.

 

 

I had totally forgotten about you as I lost myself in the music. You were watching us with hungry eyes, but all I could see in the mirror was Taemin's body in sync with mine. We were crowned the Kim Twins for a reason. We looked pretty similar, or so people said, and we understood each other perfectly whether through speech, mind or music. Our dance moves complemented each other, our limbs flowing with the music and merging into one unified body. The music was  blasting throughout the room, relaxing my nerves. 

By the end of half an hour, I was sweaty and panting. Taemin and I always went all out, be it work or play. We were passionate and serious about our dancing. Go hard or go home, right? The both of us were sitting on the ground, our legs stretched before us. Seeing how tired we were, you brought water to us. 

"You guys were awesome!" You gushed as we guzzled down the water, liquid spilling down our necks too. You took the towel I brought and wiped my sweat, as well as the water that was dripping all over me. You passed Taemin his towel too. "But don't you guys think you're doing it too hard?"

"You won't understand if you don't dance," Taemin shook his head. I agreed with his first intelligent statement of the day. "But it's like we don't know what we're doing, we just follow our body and... Yeah, our movements just turn out to be strong and powerful." I nodded again. 

You sighed dreamily, "I wanna see you guys dance all the time." 

I chuckled, shaking my head, "We don't dance together often... But if Taemin's okay with it, you can come watch whenever."

"Of course," Taemin nodded immediately, beaming. "You'll be welcomed anytime." Suddenly, he stood up and brushed himself off as we stared at him blankly. "Well, I gotta go. I'll text you," he directed to me. Then, he gave you a warm smile, "I hope to see you again. Keep Jongin out of trouble for me, will ya?"

You giggled but dipped your head in acknowledgment. He left the dance room and we were the only ones in the room. The music was still on. I looked at you. You gazed back at me. 

"Cake?" 

"You can't back out now," you warned jokingly. I grinned and stood up, grabbing you with me. 

We strolled out of the dance room after unplugging my phone from the speaker and turning off the lights. We were holding hands, our fingers tangled. It felt so natural that I had to squeeze your hand sometimes to remember that I was holding onto you. My phone buzzed in my other hand and I saw that I had received an incoming text. 

I left you so you could spend time with your girl. i dont actually have dinner plans.. but treat her right, Jongin-ah, i see that you love her a lot. and i want u to be happy, understand?

I didn't know that I had been staring at my phone for quite some time until you called me. "Jongin, are you alright?"

I looked up from my phone, taking in your face. Your eyebrows were scrunched together. Your eyes reflected concern and worry for me. Your nose was small and yet it was the perfect size on your face. Your lips were plump, but tiny. You were the most beautiful girl in the world and I wondered why I hadn't seen you until I came into university. You clasped my hand tighter and I realised that I had been staring at you. 

I felt the familiar warmth bloating in my chest and exploding to other parts of my body. Taemin was an idiot but he was right. I loved you. And I was definitely going to treat you right. I wasn't going to lose you. I couldn't afford it.


Author's note:

5K words.......... *knocks out on bed and sleeps for 5 years* 

i'm sorry if this chapter was 1) y because I really tried to come up with a new scene but nothing popped up in my head. so i had to use this impromptu scene that isn't so developed and 2) faulty because it's 5AM and i'm too tired to edit the chapter. I'll do it soon. OTL

One more chapter and we're through! Thank you guys so so so much for coming this far with me! <3 

Till next time
xoxo