~ Chapter Forty-Six: Reflection ~

The Fallen

Random Rambles: Hi guys! Sorry it took so long to update, I'm afraid that this month is very busy for me so I'll try my best to update whenever I can ^^; thanks for your understanding and for bearing with me OTL It's also totally not helping that I'm getting new ideas for other stories our life-ruining boys could star in (>n<)" le sigh...Hope you'll like the new chapter though! <3 <3 ("It's something" *does the meme move*)  

***

You know, when I called you to come meet me, I hadn't meant that you should call everyone else as well!

Lu-ge's voice sounded in his mind. Tao smirked to himself at listening in on the conversation that Luhan himself broadcasted to them, since he had no problem in telling them what he thought. 

How was I supposed to know that? You said that it had something to do with Jae, so I assumed that she got herself in trouble again! 

Xiumin-hyung retaliated, smacking Luhan against the shoulder since they were standing near each other. 

Well, she could sort of still be in trouble! I don't trust that Minho kid!

Lu-ge replied fiercely and Tao did all he could to prevent from laughing out loud. He was leaning against Sehun, gently smacking him on the arm to point out how ridiculous their older brothers were behaving, but his younger brother seemed too focused and distracted as well. He peered from behind the bushes at the local coffee shop trying to get a proper look at Jae and this kid she went out with. 

Luhan is right, I don't trust Minho either, said Suho, bending behind a smaller shrub, peeking out of it from time to time. He was being too playful and suspiciously charming to her since day two, he grumbled. 

Oh my God, are you even hearing yourselves right now? So, Jae-noona is out with Minho-hyung, who cares?! Kai commented from the shades of the trees behind them, but Tao thought it a little strange that Kai seemed to be glaring at the coffee shop window, where Jae was talking to Minho. 

It's not a matter of caring, Kai, she's part of the pack and it's our duty to look after one of our own, Suho replied, and Tao agreed to that statement, though Kai obviously didn't. Perhaps he wasn't wrong to sulk about this, it was rather ridiculous how a bunch of guys were hiding behind shrubbery to keep an eye on one girl. 

They seem to just be having coffee, Lu, are you sure about that hunch of yours? Kris asked, who was secretly hovering amongst the treetops to get a better look from up high. 

Get down, down, down! She's looking! Baekhyun yelled in their minds, the brothers immediately diving down to avoid being seen. 

Oh this is ridiculous... Kai muttered grumpily, his face planted on the ground. 

Are you sure she can't hear us, hyung? Chen asked, crouched down like a turtle behind a shrub.

Positive. 

Hm. Lu-ge didn't sound so sure this time. Tao peeked over at his older brother and saw the brief hesitation in his eyes. Did something happen? He looked so rattled, unlike his usual self. 

Uh-oh, mayday, mayday! Chanyeol suddenly stated. Lay-hyung! He pointed out in a panic. Sure enough, the brothers watched as one of their own was running down the street, windmilling his arms around while he was obviously searching for something. Why was this particular ge-ge always so dazed? 

"Lay! Lay! Get over here!" Luhan hissed from behind the bushes, startling the young man in question. Lay rushed over to them, his eyes wide when he saw that his other brothers were hiding as well. 

"What are you doing? Are we playing hide and seek?" he asked, scratching his head. 

"Oh, Jae-noona, Jae-noona!" Chen alerted. 

"Oh, where- Ah!" Sehun had grabbed Lay by the shirt and pulled him in before he was able to finish his sentence, looking at his brothers in astonishment when Kris placed a hand over his mouth and kept his head down. 

Tao blinked at the interaction and carefully risked a peek at the coffee shop. Jae was frowning a little while she looked at their direction, but she didn't seem to notice that they were there. For some reason, he was blushing at seeing her like that and wondered what she was talking about with Minho that made her laugh so much. 

"They're leaving," he murmured mostly to himself, since their brothers were updating Lay on the current situation and only Sehun seemed to have heard him. 

"Where is he taking her?" Sehun grumbled, obviously annoyed. "What does that peasant-hyung think he's doing?" 

"Calm down, Sehunnie, I'm sure it's nothing. It's not like they're on a date or something," Tao tried to reason, smiling it off, but the look of seriousness on his younger brother's face made him worry. He glanced back and saw Jae and Minho walking towards the direction of the park. 

"T-they're not on a date, are they?" he then asked, imagining having to use his Kung Fu on Minho-hyung if he tried to do anything fishy. 

"Hurry, we'll lose them!" it was D.O. that growled from behind them, shooting out from behind the bushes to follow Jae. Tao was still a little bewildered, while Sehun didn't skip a beat and quickly followed suit. 

"H-hey, wait for me!" Tao yelled, going after them. 

Where do you think you're going?! came Luhan's voice in his head. 

Lu-ge, they're going to the park. D.O. and Sehun are already following them, he quickly explained, not having to look behind him to know that his brothers were behind him. They were attempting to go on stealth-mode, but they stood out far too much. Especially Kris-ge, Tao noted, whose impressive height and good looks were a disadvantage in a situation like this one. 

They really shouldn’t follow so close behind, Jae will notice, Xiumin said, the bunch of them taking refuge behind trees and shrubs, as if they were spies shadowing their prized target.  

D.O., Sehun, not too close! Luhan warned, prompting them to reluctantly hold back, Sehun hiding behind a row of trees while D.O. kept low to the ground.

All of them seemed to be holding their breaths as they watched Jae and Minho walk side by side, talking about some kind of scary movie. Tao knew which one they were talking about since he saw the advertisement at the local cinema, and he shuddered a moment. If there was one thing he hated the most, it was anything that could scare him. He didn't like horror and now there was another reason for him to dislike it. It was something he wouldn't be able to talk about with Jae. 

Look at that smug grin on his face, as if he's plotting something, Suho sounded, eyes squinting at Minho. 

No, it's his beady eyes, hyung. Too sneaky, Chanyeol added, nodding his head as he adapted a similar expression of distrust like Suho. 

The brothers all groaned and rolled their eyes when Minho stretched himself and cunningly slithered his arm over Jae's shoulder. 

Oh, come on! Baekhyun shook his head. 

Oldest trick in the book and he didn't even do it right! So obvious! Chen pointed out, looking to be suffering from secondhand embarrassment. 

"I have a question," Lay then chimed, even lifting his hand as though he was in class. "Why are we following Jae-yah like this? Can't we just walk over and say hello?" he asked, blinking at his brothers when this time, he was the one they rolled their eyes at. 

"Wake up, Lay-hyungie! This is a top-secret, super important mission. We have to make sure Jae-noona stays safe when she's out with outsiders. We can't be seen or we'll get caught and then Jae-noona will send us away and who knows what'll happen then!" Chen explained in a dramatic fashion that oddly made a lot of sense to Lay and to Tao, if he had to admit it. He felt compelled to want to protect Jae as well, like a brother should watch over his sister. He didn't like the fact that Jae was hanging out with someone other than them. It wasn't strange to feel that way, was it? 

As Tao thought about it, he realized that all of them only knew Jae for roughly a week, and already they felt so strongly towards her. All in different ways, but still. He knew that there had to be something odd about that, but he didn't feel that way at all. After Lu-ge's confirmation that she was one of them, Tao had felt happy, more than anything. Maybe it was also because he could somehow relate to her situation. There was a time when he had a hard time fitting in and he'd often felt lonely and out of place because of it, and wasn't that the same way for Jae? He'd be the first to admit that he didn't understand much about who they were and what they could do, but he was certain of one thing, and that was the fact that Jae was connected to him. To them. All of them. That had to be the main reason why they acted like idiots this way, right? 

"What are they doing? I can't hear them," Kris murmured and automatically looked at Luhan. 

"I'd rather not," was the surprising answer. "If I get too close, Jae may find out," he quickly added. 

"Ask Sehun then. He seems to be in the position closest to her," Suho urged and Luhan cleared his throat. Since they were all hiding, the only things that were visible were their heads, or parts of it, and since all of their gazes were directed the same way, an old lady that spotted them had started laughing. Embarrassed, the brothers chuckled back.

"Joonmyeon, is that you? What are you doing, silly boy?" she asked and Suho's face was dusted in red, prompting Tao to purse his lips together to keep from laughing.

"Oh, hello Mrs. Jung, I- eh, well, we were just eh, um..." Suho stammered nervously.

"Playing a game," Chen answered instead, a Cheshire cat grin on his face.

"A game? Young men like you? Oh, poor dears," she chuckled and shook her head. "You should be out finding a nice girlfriend, handsome men like you! Playing hide and seek is for little boys. You're not little boys, are you?" she tutted, embarrassing them even further. Before any of them could respond, she walked up to Suho and handed him a card. 

"Why don't you give my granddaughter a call, Joonmyeon? I'm sure she'd like it if you called. It would be nice for the two of you to start courting, don't you think?" Mrs. Jung mused and patted him on the head, while the brothers snickered quietly at seeing Suho's pale complexion turn a fiery shade of red.

"Give her a call, dear. Make an old lady happy. Ta-ta!" she waved while the boys politely greeted her. Suho, meanwhile was ready to sink into a hole in the ground. Tao snorted and immediately received a ferocious glare from Suho, shooting daggers his way.

"I didn't even say anything, hyung!" he protested, trying to keep a straight face.

"You were thinking it!" he accused, checking on Luhan to verify and when this devil in angelic disguise confirmed it, Suho flared his eyebrows up, as if saying, see?! 

"Oh! Lu-ge is lying, I wasn't thinking anything!" Tao nearly shouted, had Kris not placed his hand over his mouth. 

"Not so loud!" he warned, checking on Jae and Minho who were sitll none the wiser. D.O. looked upset, which meant that he was agitated, and when he was agitated, even Suho's glare of fire doused in comparison to his. 

What are you idiots doing? D.O. sounded calm as usual, but there was a distinct snap in his voice that made Tao's eyes widen at hearing the tone. 

Don't worry about it, D.O., Suho just met his future grandmother in law, that's all, Chanyeol quickly replied, his face twitching as though he wasn't sure whether he wanted to laugh or stay completely serious for his own safety.  

Jae is getting suspicious. She's been looking over at your direction a couple of times now and started smelling your scent! he growled in their minds, whilst checking up on the girl in question. Tao looked around curiously, his eyes wandering around the environment. He heard the distinct growling of their youngest brother somewhere, but the problem was that he couldn't see Sehun anywhere. 

Yah! Sehunnie, where are you?! he searched the area with his eyes, scanning the shrubs, the trees, but where was Sehun? 

"Kris-ge," he called and that was enough for duizhang to know that there was something wrong. 

"What is it?" Kris appeared next to him, making himself as small as possible. Jae was in the distance, sitting on a bench with Minho cozily next to her. He was talking about something entertaining, moving his hands in an animated fashion before sneakily snaking his arm around her shoulders again. 

"I can't see Sehun anywhere," Tao whispered, still searching for their youngest brother. 

"What's going on?" Baekhyun joined, crouching down next to Tao's other side. Chen and Chanyeol were not far behind while Xiumin, Luhan and Lay stood next to Kris. Kai was still in the background, peering at Jae's direction, though he was searching the area as well, looking for Sehun. 

"Sehun's gone," Kris grumbled, looking at Suho. 

"What? That damn brat," the leader growled, his eyes flaring up red while they darted around, but Tao knew that Suho was worried and scared more than he was angry. He always was over-protective of them. 

Sehunnie? Sehun! Luhan risked being heard by Jae in search of the maknae, when all of a sudden, it became painfully, frustratingly clear where their little brother was. 

"Oh no. He did not...!" Suho hissed seeing movement from behind one of the bushes and an elegant snout emerged from it. The lithe young wolf its snout, eyes crimson red as it focused on the teenagers sitting on the bench. The tawny brown wolf slowly approached the teens, as though it was curious- and hungry. 

Sehun, get back here! Are you insane?! Luhan called out, but of course, the young wolf ignored him. 

Sehun-ah what do you think you're doing? Lay tried, but the brothers were helpless to stop him. Tao gawked and gasped softly himself when Jae and Minho finally caught sight of the wolf and jolted back. 

Sehunnie, you're not going to harm him, are you? Don't do anything stupid, he warned, worried for him. He was close with Sehun, so maybe, just maybe, the kid would at least listen to him. He saw how one of Sehun's ears twitched for a moment, but it didn't stop him. 

"Oh my God, it's a wolf!" Minho exclaimed, attempting to shield Jae, though it was obvious that he was scared out of his wits. "Don't make eye contact," he whispered in a panic. 

Jae herself looked spooked, until she got a better look at the wolf. The brothers were sure that they were done for the moment she tilted her head and a flash of recognition gleamed in her eyes. Then, the panic and shock settled in. Before she could utter a word however, Sehun approached them, prompting Minho to jump up from the bench in a start, moving away just in time before Sehun claimed his spot on the bench next to Jae. 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Jae, get away from there!" the boy warned, and Tao couldn't help but admire the fact that Minho chose to stay in the face of danger instead of bailing on Jae. If that would've happened, he'd give him a piece of his mind and a kick against the . 

"Jae, I'll try to distract it and you run the other way, okay? I'll meet you in front of the movie theater," Minho whispered, barely moving. When he made a small step towards the wolf, Sehun snapped his head towards the boy and growled viciously. "Whoa! Okay, okay," Minho backed up while Jae was still frozen with the wolf so close by. She lifted her hands in the air when the wolf meekly graced himself against her, gently nuzzling her lap and resting there. Meanwhile, its cheeky red eyes gleamed provocatively at his awestruck brothers who could not believe what they were seeing. 

"What the...is that normal wolf behavior?" Minho asked, obviously stumped. 

"Uhm..." Jae mused, looking at the wolf that made itself particularly comfortable. It may be normal Sehun-behavior, she thought and Tao could hear her, loud and clear. He glanced at his brothers and read off their faces that they heard her too. 

Don't anybody think of anything, Luhan said as quietly as possible, but it still made Jae look up, her eyes scanning the area for the briefest of moments. 

Sehun suddenly stretched and yawned, rolling over on his back as though he was demanding that Jae would rub his belly and her eyes widened. 

That brat! That- that- that audacious brat! Suho protested, momentarily forgetting whether Jae could hear him or not. 

Yah! Sehun, you're pushing it! Kris added, holding himself back to emerge from the bushes. 

Meanwhile, Jae's hands were still hovering awkwardly over Sehun and the wolf meekly nudged her hand, pushing her to pet him, his tongue wagging out of his mouth. 

"Eh- Minho, maybe you should go and get some help. I don't think I'll be going anywhere soon anyway," Jae said quietly. 

"What? I can't leave you alone! Sure, it's meek now, but what if I leave and it attacks you? No way, uh-uh, I'm staying," Minho said determinedly, though there was a little tremble in his voice and he gave a little shriek when Sehun growled at him again. 

"It's okay, I don't think it means any harm. Just go and get help, okay?" Jae said, frowning a little at Sehun as the wolf kept knocking her hand, demanding her full attention.

Tao scoffed. And they call me childish?! 

"Oh, that is it!" Chen suddenly muttered, sounding very annoyed at seeing Sehun like this and before they realized what had happened, a second wolf bounced towards the bench, making Minho jolt back in terror and Sehun growl in discontentment. Chen easily lifted his front paws against the armrest, looking at Jae with his mouth parted, giving the impression that he was grinning. 

The dumbfounded girl watched the chestnut-colored wolf for a moment and gaped. Chen?! 

Hi, noona! Chen greeted cheerfully, wagging his tail and nudging her cheek with his snout. 

Oh, that's just great, we're so dead... 

Kris?! Jae's voice sounded in their heads and the brothers flinched, though they stayed hidden. Instead, they glared at their duizhang. Kris grimaced. 

Oops... was the only thing he said, rubbing the back of his hair. Tao rolled his eyes and slapped his ge-ge against the arm. 

"Oh God! Jae, are you okay?" Minho called, too scared to approach her, but not scared enough to run away. He looked lost and confused, conflicted, and Tao kind of felt for him. Kind of

"Y-yeah, I'm f-fine," she stammered, looking flustered and panicked. "You really should go and get some help," she urged, her nervousness seeping through her body language. She closed her eyes a moment when Sehun suddenly shot up and her chin. "Before more of them come!" she squealed, trying to back away when Chen growled derisively at Sehun. 

"Ah, oh-uh, y-yeah, I mean, uh- are you, are you sure?! That wolf just freaking you!" Minho rambled.

"Just hurry!" Jae pressed, trying her best to stay clear when the two wolves started pushing each other to claim the spot on Jae's lap.

"O-okay, okay, okay- uh...Yes! Okay, I'll be right back! S-stay put," Minho spoke, but his feet were more reluctant than his words, until-

"Whoa! Oh !" Minho cussed when a third wolf appeared, seemingly out of thin air, growling viciously at him.

Tao grinded his teeth out of anxiety when he looked at Kai, wincing a little when he heard the boy's voice in his head.

Just go away already! he snarled. 

Now! D.O. was not left out of the sudden wolf party, standing next to Kai and walking perfectly in sync together, step by step, approaching Minho as the youth backed away. 

"J-Jae, hold on, o-okay? I'll get help!" he promised before finally running off at the speed of lightning. Only when all of them were sure that the coast was clear, they relaxed. That is, until they saw the look on Jae's face.

"Okay. What. The. Hell?!" she yelled. "Sehun, get off me!" she attempted to push the wolf away, except that now, of all times, Sehun chose to turn back and he grinned a rakish grin at her as his head was comfortably resting on her lap.

"Ah, noona, why? I was just getting cozy," he said playfully, looking cutely at her. Jae opened to argue with him when D.O., back in his human form, simply stood behind the bench and pushed Sehun off.

"Yes! My turn!" Chen exclaimed, but was immediately held back by Kai who had grabbed his shirt so that he couldn't move forward.

"What even- What is this? What's going on? D.O.? Kai? What are you doing here?!" Jae got to her feet, ready to give the scolding of a lifetime and Tao was relieved that she seemed to have forgotten that the rest of them were still hiding. 

"Wah, noona, it's not just us, you know! Everyone is here," surprisingly, it was Kai that ratted them out, but Tao figured that that probably had something to do with the fact that amongst the confusion, Jae managed to grab a fallen branch and seemed to be ready to give out a beating or two. 

"What?!" she demanded. 

"Yeah, over there," Sehun pointed, still sitting on the ground. Tao watched breathlessly as Jae her heels towards their hiding spot, shaking her head in disbelief. They ducked down when she threw the branch their way and luckily it didn't land a hit. It did, however, cause them to pop out from their hiding places, absolutely caught red-handed. 

"Oh, hey, Jae-noona! Fancy seeing you here, we had no idea that you were here," Baekhyun quickly rambled, attempting to smile, but being too nervous to do so. 

Tao made sure to stand just a bit behind Kris when they muttered their hellos. 

"Oh my God, I cannot believe this. That-that just happened?! What the heck are all of you doing here?!" she demanded to know before gasping. "Were you...Were you just following me?!" 

The brothers shook their heads in a reflex, except for Lay, who had nodded at first before he caught on that he was supposed to lie and quickly joined the rest in shaking his head, biting his lip. Tao felt the secondhand embarrassment hit him like a smack against the face. 

"Unbelievable," Jae muttered, heaving a sigh. "Do any of you realize how creepy that is? Why were you even following me? And what the heck was all of that back there?" 

"Those are very good questions, and I'm sure that Suho has the perfect answers for them," Luhan pointed out, putting the unsuspected leader in the spotlight and even giving him a little nudge forward. 

"Eh, um...that is, uh- yes. Ah..." Suho stuttered and Tao couldn't bear it any longer. 

"We were worried, noona," he said matter-of-factly since for him, it was true. Something told him that his brothers may have had other intentions, but he was solely here to make sure that nothing bad happened to her. "After what happened the other night, you know, that wolf attacking you, we just wanted to make sure that you'd be safe. That's all." 

Jae blinked at him for a moment and Tao was already flinching when he thought he saw her get angry. The tension in the air almost immediately vanished when she sighed and visibly relaxed. 

"You know, for a pack of ferocious wolves, you're all dorks," she stated, giving a light chuckle. "But be that as it may, it is totally not cool to spy on me, regardless whether you were just looking out for me or not. Plus, it's seriously creepy," she stressed a little more firmly. "And the four of you!" she pointed at the people standing closest to her. "What in the world were you thinking?! What if someone saw you change into a- a- you-know-what?! We'd all be screwed!" she scolded, and the four brothers had the decency to look ashamed. Tao couldn't help but smile since this was exactly how he'd imagine it would be like to have a sister. Someone who would have no problem in showing his brothers who's the boss. Even Kai had lowered his head in mild regret, despite the fact that he was also scowling. 

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?" Jae continued, and Tao nearly blasted a laugh when the four of them reluctantly muttered and apology. 

"And what about you?" Jae then turned towards them. "Anything to say for yourself?"

"I do," Lay said quietly after a moment of silence. "Minho is back," he pointed easily, but the news brought the brothers into a state of momentary chaos. 

"Oh crap! He can't see us!" Suho said. 

"Quick, hide," Jae added and they didn't need to be told twice. "Oh, wait, hold up! Shouldn't you four be wolves again?" she asked. 

"Guys, he's coming," Xiumin warned.

D.O., Kai and Chen easily transformed, but Sehun, being the youngest and not necessarily stress-proof, was still walking a bit aimlessly around, trying his best to change back. 

"I swear, there were four wolves!" Minho's voice sounded in the distance. 

"Come on, Sehun," Jae told him, watching him pace about nervously. 

"I-I can't, noona," he admitted quietly. "It's not working, I'm too nervous," he admitted. 

"Just calm down and do what you always do when you're about to transform," she tried to encourage him. 

Sehun, just hide over here before Minho sees, Tao tried to communicate with the help of Luhan. But Sehun hesitated. 

"Come on, Sehun, hurry!" Chanyeol was already sweating, seeing Minho getting closer with an officer. 

"No, wait, it's working!" Sehun suddenly stated, but his relief and enthusiasm slowly made way for panic all over again when he saw that the transformation was too slow. The ears were slowly starting to form and a bushy tail started to develop- with Minho in the line of sight. All the boy needed to do was catch sight of Sehun and it was all over. 

"Faster, Sehun," Jae warned, freaking out herself. 

Faster, Sehunnie, or he's going to see, spoke Luhan in the same urgent manner. 

"Oh no, he's going to see," Jae repeated in a whisper, already directing herself towards him in a poor attempt to shield Sehun. 

"What do I? What do I do? Hyung!" Sehun asked desperately. 

"Get over here!" Suho gestured.

"No wait, not like that, he'll see!" Kris warned when Sehun turned his back on the approaching Minho, the tail softly flicking from side to side. 

"They were vicious, you have to- huh?" Minho squinted his eyes and that was enough for Tao. In his own anxiety and nervousness, he flicked his wrist and everything stood still. He sighed in relief and ran a hand through his jet black hair. 

"That was way too close," he whined, feeling like his blood pressure just raised through the roof. "What am I going to do about you, Sehunnie?" he complained, flicking the kid on the nose. He took a deep breath and got to his feet. "Guess it's all up to Tao to save the day, huh?" he clasped his hands together, but froze upon seeing a wide-eyed Jae. Then, he chuckled. 

"Noona has the weirdest shock faces," he giggled to himself and grabbed his phone. It would always come in handy to have a little blackmail material, just in case. After all, they were practically family now, right? 

"Okay noona, hold still," he laughed at his own joke when he took the picture. "Oh that looks great," he chuckled before putting his phone back in his pocket and looked around how he could avoid disaster striking. 

"Um, Tao?" 

A second time he froze, cleaning out his ear with his finger and shaking his head. He imagined that right? He checked on his surroundings for good measure to ensure that he had frozen them in time, but turned around anyway, just to check on Jae. When he did, his eyes widened to the size of satellite dishes, and for all intents and purposes, he let out a shriek. 

"Whoa, hey! If there is anyone around that gets to scream, it's me!" Jae said, talking and moving! "What just happened? Why is everything standing still?" she squeaked. 

"W-wh-why are you moving, noona?" Tao managed to utter, still taken aback and possibly suffering from a heart attack. 

"What is that supposed to mean?" she retaliated, equally shook up. "Am I...am I not supposed to?" 

"No! You're not!" Tao shouted in disbelief and swallowed. "Unless..." his words were cut off by a gasp of realization and it was his turn to be absolutely stumped. 

"Unless what?" Jae pushed, shaking him gently by the shoulders. 

"Unless...you're the same as me, noona!" 

It was still too soon for his shock to have turned into happiness, but Tao knew now that his feelings, his intuition, his gut was right about Jae all along. There was a reason why she had the ability to make all of them act like fools around her, a reason why they were so drawn to her and she was drawn to them. It was this. She was part of them. 

And even better, Tao thought, she was part of him.