~ Chapter Twenty-Five: Fiery Itch ~

The Fallen

***

"ACHOO!" 

That was it. It had come unexpectedly and he was unable to control it. Chanyeol's eyes widened in utter shock when his sneeze unwittingly produced a steady stream of fire, setting his orchid ablaze. Baekhyun, who was sitting right next to him had jolted back in his seat, whilst Chen, just as startled, covered his mouth and that of Baekhyun to prevent from shouting out of shock. 

Chanyeol was lost. He may have always loved being able to play with fire, but it was a whole different matter entirely when full moon came near and it appeared as though fire was playing with him. He had less control over his abilities and no matter how many more precautions he took, no matter how careful he was- fire always won out. 

Stressed, Baekhyun attempted to flick out the fire, considering that it was, in a way, a source of light, but it didn't work. Chanyeol then attempted to douse the fire, but in his panic, the flames grew stronger. 

What are you doing, you idiot?! 

At first, Chanyeol thought that it was Luhan, but it was D.O.'s voice he heard. He looked at the back of his brother, who was as expressionless as a blank canvas.

Put it out! 

Luhan urged, checking both on Jae and Mr. Tabi. 

I'm trying! 

Chanyeol started waving clumsily at the flame, hoping that it would douse that way while the orchid shriveled rather rapidly into dust. 

Xiumin-hyung, can't you freeze it?! 

Tao's high-pitched voice echoed in his mind, sounding just about as panicked as he was feeling. 

And how are we going to explain the ice cube appearing where once a flower stood? 

Came Xiumin's agitated reply, his anger obvious in his voice. Chanyeol cringed, feeling not only guilty, but useless. 

She's going to see, hyung, put it out!

Sehun exclaimed nervously. The brothers were in a state of chaos and Chanyeol's heart nearly stopped when he saw Jae's head turning slowly. 

"What is your favorite color?" 

Chanyeol let out a silent sigh of relief, thanking his lucky stars for D.O. to think quick on his feet. Along with Baekhyun and Chen, Chanyeol attempted to put out the fire, but the three of them ended up squabbeling silently on what the better approach was. Eventually, tired of their antics and clumsy behavior, Suho subtly moved the water from the faucet, after Luhan had turned it open. A flowing stream of water s its way carefully through the air, dousing the burning orchid. 

Sehun, who was sitting behind them, pushed Chanyeol out of the way and blew the wet table dry with heated air. Seeing the sad condition the orchid was in, Lay, sitting at the table beside them, quickly checked to make sure Mr. Tabi wasn't watching them and motioned with his hand towards the orchid, continuing to move his hand while Chanyeol watched in amazement at seeing the orchid come back to life, blooming more beautifully than it had before. 

By the time Jae turned around, it looked as though nothing had happened and Chanyeol automatically smiled his best smile at her, Baekhyun and Chen following suit. The brothers did not relax until she turned back around. 

Kris noticeably grabbed his chest as though he suffered a heart attack and leaned back into his seat completely, unable to handle the stress. Kai dropped his head against the table, huffing out a long breath of air.

"You sure? It smells like a campfire here," Mr. Tabi continued, looking around. Chanyeol felt a cold sweat coming, purposely keeping his gaze on the orchid in front of him. When Mr. Tabi got on with the project he had set up for today, Chanyeol was anxiously awaiting his brothers to mentally scold him, but nothing came up. 

He carefully looked around when Baekhyun caught him and only patted him on the back for support. Don't worry about it, he appeared to be saying, but that just made it worse for Chanyeol. He knew full well that if his brothers hadn't been here to help him, their secret would've been exposed. 

He didn't know why the fire wouldn't listen to him when the moon was full. It wasn't fair. He may not have suffered from mood swings or felt restless in anyway, but his abilities just went out of wonk. If they would have enhanced, like Luhan's abilities, then Chanyeol could blame his lack of control on something, but that wasn't even it. It simply felt as though the roles were in reverse. He felt so inadequate because of it, as if he was still learning how he should control his powers. He barely dared to move during club activities and even when it was over, he kept quiet, not making any sudden movements, in full control over his body. 

He didn't like having outsiders around in general, which was why he was extra nervous when the new girl suddenly showed up to their club activities. It was difficult enough to have to keep their secret hidden from all the people on the island, but with another person so close by, things got even more tricky. At least when he was with his brothers, he could just fully be himself, without having to take so much into consideration. He would give anything just to be free, let loose without having to keep secrets. 

"Chanyeol," Suho started while the twelve of them were walking home. 

"I know, hyung, I'm sorry!" he instantly replied. "I don't know what happened, I swear I didn't do it on purpose!"

He waited for Suho to explode and flinched when his older brother placed a hand on his shoulder. "It's okay. Don't worry about it." 

"Whoa- wait. Did you seriously just say that?" Kai immediately prompted, just as bewildered as the rest of his brothers, Chanyeol included. Suho looked a bit defeated. 

"I should have known that this wasn't going to work," their leader started, rolling his shoulders and running a hand through his hair. "Don't worry about it, Chanyeol. It was my fault." 

The taller brother had no clue whether Suho was being sarcastic, sincere or just melodramatic - an effect of the approaching full moon that they were very well acquainted with. So, he waited, to see what else would follow. Thankfully, Kris was there as well. 

"How was it your fault? These things tend to happen in general, it was no one's fault," Kris said, looking stressed out and nervous. Chanyeol could immediately tell that this hyung wanted to crawl into bed. 

"Except that this was my fault," Suho sighed. "If I didn't keep such a tight reign on all of you, this wouldn't have happened," he gritted his teeth in frustration and the brothers waited patiently for their leader to let out steam. "Look, the truth of the matter is that I've no idea what to do, okay?" the sudden confession brought a silence amongst them that Chanyeol had never felt before. 

"There's too much going on and I don't know what's right or wrong," a hand rolled over his face and something changed in Suho's demeanor. "But man, it felt good moving that water," he chuckled, a rakish grin sprawling across his lips. 

Immediately Kai exclaimed a shout of joy, while clapping his hands. "Yeah! Alright, hyung!" 

"Whoa, wait a minute- who are you and what did you do to Suho-hyung?" Baekhyun joked, earning a ruffle of the hair from Suho, the atmosphere in the group noticeably becoming more elated by the second. Chanyeol's grin was the brightest, he was sure of that. Things felt normal again. 

"So, does this mean we can go out tonight?" Kai asked in his excitement. Suho looked at Chen. 

"What do you think? You said you can sense the systems, right?"

Chen blinked a few times before answering. "Y-yes, I think I can. But, what about the newbie? And full moon coming and stuff?"

"Yeah, you sure you're up for it?" Kris added, trying to read Suho. 

Chanyeol waited in anticipation for the leader's answer. Suho looked at all of his brothers before rolling his shoulders again whilst looking up at the darkening sky. 

"Screw it," the wolf inside him said. "Let's go out tonight."