The Start of a New Year

Boys, Boys, Boys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmWQeTwd6Y

Got7: Take My Hand

----------------------------------------------

A knock on the door made Yoonjung’s father glance back. “Come in.”

Yoonjung stuck her head inside and smiled. “How’s it going? All prepared for your date?”

Her father gave her a dry look. “I’m not going on a date. I’m going to a party with a lot of boring people who will talk nothing about business and lawsuits.” He looked back in the mirror and tried to fix his necktie. It was stuck in an awkward loop, and he was having a hard time taking it out.

Yoonjung chuckled. “Here, let me try.” She came in front of him and gently loosened the tie from his neck. “This is a bland tie.”

“You bought it for me for parent’s day,” he pointed out.

“I was in the seventh grade. What did I know back then?” Yoonjung took the tie back to the closet and pulled out a classy gold-striped tie. “There you go. This fits the New Years’ Day spirit.” She fixed it around his neck and made sure it was straight. Done, she stepped back and admired him with a huge smile. “You look so handsome, dad. I’m sure the ladies will flock over you tonight.”

“Like I said, this is a business party, and there will be more old goons than ladies tonight.” Her father answered.

“Just think of it this way: they’re all potential clients for you. You can’t gain clients without advertising yourself, and this is the perfect opportunity to expand your business.” Yoonjung beamed.

Her father sighed as he fixed his blazer. “I hate going to these parties. I’m not able to be there for you when the clock strikes 12 and the New Year comes.”

“We’ll be able to spend tomorrow together though, right?” Yoonjung asked.

Her father softened. He put a hand on her shoulder and squeezed it gently. “We’ll be able to reunite with your mother. It’ll be the three of us as a family again.”

Yoonjung smiled back. Ever New Year’s Day, they went to the cemetery to visit her mother’s burial site. “You should go. You don’t want to be late.”

“You’re right.” Her father got his phone, wallet, and keys, and headed towards the door. He put on his shoes and whirled around. “What will you be doing with the boys today?” He gave her a fishy look. “No outrageous partying or drinking, right?”

Yoonjung laughed. “Relax, dad. We’re just going to the park to pop some fireworks.”

“All right. Have fun then. I’ll call you later.” Her father planted an affectionate kiss on her forehead and left.

“See you later!” Yoonjung closed the door and locked it. “I need to get ready to go, too.” She motioned for Janggeun to come up with her, and he happily trotted behind her. She changed out of her sweatpants and big shirt into a white high neck knit sweater, red parka, and dark blue jeans. She took out her brand new Ugg boots and put them on. “How do I look, Janggeun?” Yoonjung spun around.

Janggeun jumped up and barked.

“That better mean ‘you look gorgeous and cute’!” She teased and ruffled his fur.

About an hour later, the doorbell rang, and she knew the guys had arrived.

Yoonjung left the kitchen and went to answer the door. Janggeun was already there with his tail wagging.

“You can smell them a mile away, huh, Janggeun?” She scratched his ear and then opened the door. It sprang open as the boys piled inside.

“It’s snowing outside!” Bambam shivered. “It is?” Yoonjung peeked outside.

“Just a little,” JB replied as he shook snow off his hair.

“Good evening, princess.” JR kissed her forehead.

“Greetings, Candy.” Jackson pecked her cheek. 

Mark bent down to pet Janggeun who his face with devoted eyes.

Mark laughed. “Yeah, I missed you, too.”

“Janggeun!” Jackson held out his arms with a wide grin.

Janggeun jumped up, and Jackson fell onto the floor with the dog on top of him. “Wow, you’re getting heavier by the year.” Everyone laughed.

“Do you think we can do firecrackers when it’s snowing?” Yoonjung asked.

“We’re not doing big fireworks, so it should be fine. Besides, I heard it’ll stop snowing in a bit,” Youngjae answered.

“Let’s head on out,” JB said.

“Later, dude.” Jackson petted Janggeun.

Janggeun followed them and whimpered sadly. Jackson stopped and looked back.

Janggeun whimpered some more and wagged his tail side to side. “Aw, that just pulled on my heartstrings. Let’s take him.”

“Let’s not,” Yugyeom disagreed.

“You have something against my dog, Yugyeom?” Yoonjung teased.

“I have something against all dogs,” he muttered.

Janggeun trotted up to Mark and leaned against him with another pitiful whimper.

“Look! He really wants to go with us,” Jackson declared.

Mark smiled and scratched the dog’s ears.

“Besides, it’ll be really sad if he has to celebrate New Year’s Day all by himself,” Jackson stated.

Yugyeom rolled his eyes. “It’s a dog. Dogs can’t feel emotions.” “Yes, they can!” Jackson refuted.

Bambam stooped down and petted Janggeun. “Don’t listen to that grumpy, rude Yugyeom, Janggeun. He’s just jealous because you’re loved and he’s not.”

Yugyeom glared at him. “You better watch out. I’ll put hair thinner in your shampoo.”

“I’ll look fabulous bald anyways,” Bambam retorted.

“Are we going or not?” Yugyeom demanded.

“We are. With Janggeun,” JB declared.

“What?!” Yugyeom shrieked.

“Yoonjung, go get his leash,” JB said. Yugyeom groaned and slapped a palm over his eyes.

Yoonjung chuckled and patted his shoulder sympathetically. “I’m on your side. No way do I want to pick up after his poop while we’re counting down. But majority rules.” She went to fetch a leash.

“Don’t listen to them. We’ll clean up after you,” Bambam crooned.

Janggeun barked and stuck out his tongue. When he spotted his leash, he went wild. He jumped up and down and pounced on her. Yoonjung raised the leash in the air. “Down! Down!”

“He reminds me of someone. Oh, yeah. You.” Mark looked at Jackson.

Jackson smirked and swung an arm around his neck. “Everything reminds you of me, huh? Admit it, Mark. You’re in love with me.”

Mark rolled his eyes and shoved him away. “Get away from me.”

JB helped Janggeun calm down, and Yoonjung managed to put a leash on him. “We’re ready. Let’s go.”

“Great,” Yugyeom muttered.

“Do you want to hold his leash?” Yoonjung held it out with innocent eyes.

Yugyeom gave her a dry look. “You’re hilarious.”

“I’m beautiful and cute, too.” Yoonjung held up a peace sign.

“Yes, you are,” Jackson crooned as he slipped his arm around her waist and puckered up his lips.

Mark shoved his forehead. “Get away from her, too.”

“Oh, I see. Jealous, are we?” Jackson grinned.

Mark shook his head. “You’re impossible.”

The eight of them and the dog left her house and headed towards the middle of Seoul. It was crammed with thousands of people. Bambam led Janggeun on his leash and was careful not to let anyone trample on him.

“It was a mistake coming out here. There are too many damn people,” Yugyeom muttered.

“Oh, stop being a wet blanket,” Bambam chided. Yugyeom rolled his eyes.

A couple high school boys almost stepped on Janggeun, and he snapped, “Watch where you’re going! You almost stepped on him!” They mumbled apologies and hurried away.

“Will you look at that? You do care for Janggeun.” Bambam grinned. Yugyeom huffily looked away. “I was caring for Yoonjung, not him.” “Sure. You keep telling yourself that.” Bambam smirked knowingly.

In the back, Yoonjung was walking with Mark and JB. Being at the end was hard though, with people bumping into her without thinking twice. JB noticed that and gently pulled her over so that she was now walking between him and Mark. “Be careful.” “Sorry,” she apologized.

People kept flooding between them though, and she was being constantly knocked side to side.

A few middle school boys headed towards them.

Mark and JB grabbed her wrists at the same time to pull her away. “Whoa.” Yoonjung was pulled from both sides and stared at them. Mark and JB looked at her and then stared at each other.

The middle school boys came closer, and eventually, they would have to split.

Mark tugged on her wrist, and JB lost his grip on her. Yoonjung blinked in surprise as she was swept to the left with Mark. JB peered over the heads to try to locate her.

Once the middle school boys passed by, the three of them were united again.

“You all right?” JB asked.

Yoonjung nodded. “Uh-huh.”

He looked up at Mark who wouldn’t meet his eyes.

They heard loud chatter and looked up. This time, a crowd of teenage girls came towards them.

Mark pulled Yoonjung to his other side so that she was against the shops. “Just walk here.” “Okay,” she responded.

JB wondered since when had Mark become so overprotective with her and then realized he had always been worried about her. In fact, all of them were protective of her. So why did he suddenly realize this?

“I’m cold. Let’s get something warm to drink,” Youngjae said.

“There’s a Starbucks right there.” JR pointed.

Yoonjung took the leash. “I’ll wait out here with Janggeun.”

“Come in with us,” Bambam beckoned.

She pointed to the sign. “No dogs allowed.”

“So? They won’t care,” Youngjae said.

Yoonjung shook her head. “I’ll wait. Go get the drinks.”

“See? This is why I said we shouldn’t bring the dog,” Yugyeom pointed out.

Jackson covered Janggeun’s ears and frowned at him. “Don’t say that. You’ll hurt his feelings.”

Yugyeom rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” He went inside first.

“He has bad manners.” Bambam shook his head.

“What do you want, princess? I’ll get it for you,” JR promised.

“Just hot chocolate with extra whipped cream will do. Oh, and can you get Janggeun some water?” Youngjae requested.

“Got it!” He went in with the others.

“Come on, Janggeun. Let’s find a table.” It was a miracle that she had been able to find one. She sat down, and Janggeun sat in front of her. “It’s tiring to be out, right?” She wiped the snow off his fur. Janggeun touched her leg with his nose and stuck out his tongue. “Water is on its way,” Yoonjung promised.

Suddenly, a cup of water was placed on the floor. She looked up to see Mark and blinked in surprise. Janggeun eagerly lapped up the water. Mark sat on an empty chair and rubbed his ears. “Thirsty, huh?”

“Why aren’t you in there?” Yoonjung asked. “I came to give Janggeun his water,” Mark replied.

“Oh.”

“Besides, you’re out here alone,” he added.

Her eyes glistened with softness. You look like a brick wall, but you’re a total teddy bear inside.

“Why are you looking at me that way?” Mark asked self-consciously.

“It’s because you’re awesome.” Yoonjung put two thumbs up.

Mark gave her a fishy look. “Did you do something wrong?”

Yoonjung laughed. “Hey, I was being sincere there!”

Mark smiled a little. You’re pretty awesome, too, Seo Yoonjung.

The rest of the guys came back soon enough. “Here’s your hot chocolate with extra whipped cream.” JR set it in front of her.

“Thanks.” Yoonjung wrapped her hands around the warm paper cup and inhaled the sweet scent of the hot drink. “This smells amazing.” She took a careful sip and smiled happily as warmth traveled throughout her body. “What did you get?” She asked Bambam.

“White chocolate latte. Try it.” He held it out, and she took a sip. “Okay, next time, I’m getting that,” she declared, making the guys laugh.

After they finished their drinks, they continued on their expedition towards the Han River. It was packed with families, friends, and couples already. They managed to find a lone spot near the water’s edge.

JB, JR, and Mark went to buy the firecrackers while Jackson took Janggeun for a walk and cleaned up after him.

“We brought them!” JR waved the unlit fire wands in the air with a big grin.

“I want the biggest one! Where’s the one that looks like a rocket?” Bambam demanded.

“That is illegal, my friend,” JR said. “Just try this one.” He held out the crackling ball.

Bambam lit it up, and everyone watched in awe as sparks flew out.

“This is awesome!” Bambam declared. The boys had fun experimenting with different kinds of fireworks. Mark lit up a firecracker wand and gave it to Yoonjung. “Thanks.” Smiling happily, she waved it around. Janggeun curiously trotted over and sniffed the air. A loud crackling sound startled him, and he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter