Three

Knotted

Chapter 3

 

 

Kyungsoo is only half surprised to see his English book all torn up and strewn carelessly across his desk. But he reins it in when he catches Hyunwoo’s look of anticipation from the corner of his eye and gathers the scattered pages without expression. Hyunwoo’s subsequent disappointment fills him with a degree of satisfaction. 

 

Besides, nothing can quite ruin Kyungsoo’s mood today. His headache has all but subsided, the wound on his head has mostly healed, his father had largely disappeared for the week to god knows where, and he’s had two successful days at work. He hasn’t run into Luhan, who apparently doesn’t make a habit of working late, and that suits Kyungsoo just fine. Now it’s Friday, which means two school-free days are just around the corner. What’s a torn English book to him? 

 

Mr. Lee feels less nonchalant about the whole ordeal. He’s had his eye trained on Kyungsoo since the incident a couple days ago and has used every opportunity to call Kyungsoo out. But of course, if there’s one advantage to taking the same class twice, it’s that you half-know the material already. Kyungsoo’s managed to keep humiliation at bay so far. But today, he fails to escape Mr. Lee’s harsh scolding for his lack of textbook.

 

It’s such a farce, he thinks. Even callous Mr. Lee’s has to have realized that he wasn’t the one who tore up his own book, that he was just the unfortunate target of some malicious bullying. And aren’t teachers supposed to guard against that? Kyungsoo loses a bit more respect for the Mr. Lee, not that he had much to begin with. He apologizes to the old man with a straight face but not a hint of guilt.

 

Halfway across the room, the corner of Jongin’s lips twitch briefly. He’s not sure if he’s more amused by Kyungsoo’s quiet defiance or by Mr. Lee’s palpable rage.

 

 

*

 

 

“I’m going to go tan for a bit.”

 

“Er…”

 

“On the roof.”

 

“…Jongin, it’s like…September. What the hell are you tanning for?”

 

Jongin shrugs. “My instructor says I need to maintain my tan for the upcoming competition. It’s y, he says.”

 

Taemin eyes Jongin skeptically. “Um. Okay then. Should I…come with you?”

 

Jongin shakes his head carelessly. “Nah, you go get lunch. I’ll catch up with you later.”

 

“Right then. I’ll go catch Naeun.”

 

“Yeah, bye.”

 

 

 

*

 

 

The roof is quiet when Jongin settles down in the shadows of the ventilation equipment, hoping to catch a quick catnap. Evening practice sessions have become grueling as the competition nears and his whole body feels like a wreck. The cool cement feels good against his aching muscles.

 

Meanwhile, his mind wanders to Taemin and Naeun, and that small sense of discomfort he’s felt since the beginning of the school year—that is, when they began dating—arises anew. 

 

It’s not that he has anything against Naeun, or dating. But the sense that he’s losing a part of his best friend is inextinguishable, and no matter how hard Taemin tries to accommodate him, Jongin can’t help but feel that his presence is an unnecessary addition to their dates. 

 

Hence, “tanning.” He sighs inwardly and closes his eyes. Taemin is right—who the hell tans in September? And why is he untalented at coming up with these excuses?

 

Jongin’s moment of peace is interrupted when the door to the roof slams open with a bang. He furrows his brows at the raucous jeers that assault his ears. With eyes half open, he sits up and peers from behind the shelter of the equipment at the crowd that’s invaded.

 

Kyungsoo’s pained face catches his eye first. The small boy’s expression remains as cool as ever, in spite of the new bruises that rapidly color his pale skin. Even from the distance, his eyes look abnormally large to Jongin—is it because his face looks abnormally emaciated?—and they stare at his perpetrators without quite seeing them, as if he’s already a million miles away and can’t be touched, despite their best efforts to get at him. 

 

A part of Jongin almost aches to yell at Kyungsoo to just give in already. The other part observes his stubborn resistance with equal measure curiosity and admiration. 

 

Only, and most unfortunately, what Jongin admires merely serves to incenses the group of boys that swarm Kyungsoo. 

 

Hyunwoo throws the small boy—and he is tiny, Jongin realizes again—against the floor and another kicks him in the stomach.

 

Get up, they scream, they mock, they jeer. Fight back, you ing coward!

 

Maybe they’re so angry, Jongin muses, because they know who the real crowds are.

 

He stands up from where he’s half hidden and saunters over.

 

 

*

 

 

Kyungsoo’s breathes hard, bracing his body for the next blow. When it doesn’t come in the moments to follow, he cautiously opens one of the eyes that he’s squeezed shut in pain and is surprised to see that the group of boys are looking away from him, toward something just out of his range of sight.

 

He hears slow, measured footsteps sounding their way. He can see that Hyunwoo’s tensing up and that Jingoo's donned a guarded expression of calculation. The other boys likewise appear uncertain.

 

Jongin’s large, lanky body materializes within Kyungsoo’s line of vision.

 

“Kim Jongin,” Jingoo greets. His voice contain subtle hints of discomfort, as if he’s not quite sure what to make of Jongin’s appearance.

 

Jongin looks his usual self—half lidded eyes, expression unreadable. Kyungsoo vaguely wonders how someone who looks perpetually half asleep can nevertheless strike such an imposing figure.

 

The tall boy doesn’t say anything, merely stands at the periphery of their circle and observes with measured nonchalance. It puts the group on edge. Jingoo tries again,in a tone of supplication: “We’re trying to teach this dumb kid a lesson. Shows him to take your seat on the first day of school, huh?” 

 

Jongin levels Jingoo with an unimpressed stare. “Hmm.”

 

Hyunwoo, ever the more impatient one, quickly adds, “Don’t worry Jongin, We’ll get him for ya. He’s not even going to remember his own name when we’re finished!”

 

Jongin turns towards Hyunwoo and frowns. He says quietly with a shrug: “Do what you want, but this has nothing to do with me.”

 

The statement freezes the group of bullies. They look at each uncertainly, wondering what Jongin’s declaration could mean. Jongin himself stands still, refusing to comment further yet refusing to walk away. His implacable, continued presence renders the boys immobile, until finally, Jingoo gives Kyungsoo one last half-hearted kick and motions for everyone to leave. Jongin doesn’t comment as they walk past. His lack of response make them feel as if they’re vastly beneath him. 

 

Had it been anyone else, the group of boys would surely have tried to land a few punches in retaliation. But as it’s Kim Jongin…

 

 

 

Kyungsoo remains on the ground even after they leave as he waits for the pain to abate. He’s aware that Jongin’s staring at him, and he subconsciously curls into a fetal position of self-protection. He doesn’t know why Jongin meddled in the way he did, but he’s prepared if Jongin decides to take over the kicking and punching.

 

Jongin doesn’t though. He merely stands and stares. The two of them maintain their respective positions for a few silent moments, and Kyungsoo grows increasingly unnerved, though he tries not to show it. 

 

Finally, without a word, Jongin too walks away towards the exit. When Kyungsoo’s sure he’s out of ear shot, he lets out a small breath in relief. He isn’t sure what to make of the whole episode, but he remains wary of Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo finds it impossible to gauge what the boy’s thinking, but Kyungsoo can feel, intuitively, that he’s not someone to mess with. Everyone can feel it. 

 

With a small groan, Kyungsoo attempts to maneuver himself upright despite the protest from his aching limbs. He freezes when he again hears footsteps. His eyes dart up and grow wide with surprise when they spot Jongin reentering the scene, walking quickly towards him and stopping only when he’s reached his side. The taller boy wears a resolute if resigned expression and says to Kyungsoo, “Hey, can you get up?”

 

Kyungsoo blinks uncomprehendingly as he watches Jongin slowly reach a hand down towards him. Unable to fully digest the situation, Kyungsoo unthinkingly extends his own arm, places his hand in Jongin’s much larger one, and allows Jongin to pull him up. The other boy is surprisingly gentle. 

 

Jongin lets go when Kyungsoo makes it back onto his feet. He asks if Kyungsoo can make it back to the classroom to which Kyungsoo nods, though to be honest, he isn’t sure. Maybe Jongin isn’t convinced either, because he slowly walks alongside Kyungsoo as the latter limps down the stairs, never attempting to help but nevertheless always there. 

 

Other students who spot them shoot surprised glances their way, but unfortunately for the spectators, neither Kyungsoo nor Jongin are expressive people. They walk together in silence, neither betraying more emotion than usual, and they part ways for their respective desks when they finally reach the classroom, never speaking another word to the other.

 

But unbeknownst to all, Kyungsoo isn’t as calm as he lets off. As he slides into his seat, he peers curiously at Jongin and his stomach is all tied in knots from a asive and persistent sense of confusion.

 

Jongin never glances his way.

 

At least, not when Kyungsoo’s looking. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

When Kyungsoo drags his battered body to the executive suite of the building, he’s all but ready to collapse. 

 

One last room, he tells himself, then home and sleep. It’s an exciting prospect that injects him with just enough motivation.

 

But just his luck—Luhan is here this evening. The head designer looks up upon his entrance and opens his mouth to greet Kyungsoo. He pauses mid-breath when he catches the boy’s bruised face. 

 

They stare at each other, both wearing looks of surprise, though for differing reasons. 

 

The moment passes; Luhan refrains from commenting on Kyungsoo’s beaten up appearance.

 

“Good evening, Kyungsoo,” is what he settles for instead, with his customary, warm smile. Kyungsoo is surprised by how familiar the smile feels, despite having known Luhan only two or three days. He tries to smile back but ends up wincing instead from the wound on the corner of his lip. 

 

Luhan’s smile fades at this sight as well.

 

“Good evening, Sir,” Kyungsoo replies quietly. “Can I get started, or will that disturb you?”

 

Luhan shakes his head and motions for Kyungsoo to come over. “Actually, I’m glad you came. I was hoping you would help me with something else instead,” he says with a look of apology. “I’m hosting an event next week and the firm’s been having such a busy month that we’ve completely forgotten to mail out invites. I just remembered this afternoon, but my secretary went home for the evening already. Would you mind…?” he motions vaguely at the mess of invite cards, envelopes, and stamps littered across his desk. “I know this isn’t your job, but you’ve cleaned the place so well these past few days and really, this is much more urgent so—”

 

“—That’s fine,” Kyungsoo interrupts before Luhan can ramble on. “I don’t mind.” He settles himself into the chair across Luhan’s desk and begins to methodically stuff the envelopes without prompting.

 

Luhan observes Kyungsoo’s wordless efficiency with wide eyes for several seconds before he too settles down to get to work. “Thanks!” he says brightly.

 

“…It’s fine,” Kyungsoo repeats, voice completely emotionless. But as he ducks his head to focus on labeling an envelope, Luhan wonders if his cheeks aren’t just a little rosy. The older man smiles but doesn’t press.

 

 

*

 

They work in comfortable silence until around 11pm. Luhan, Kyungsoo discovers, is perfectly content with quiet. Or maybe he’s just good at adapting himself to the contentment of others. Whatever the reason, Kyungsoo’s grateful for this, considering how inept he is at making small talk and how much he hates it when people pry. Somehow, by basking in Luhan’s gentle aura, Kyungsoo manages to achieve a measure of calm and feels just a bit more relaxed being his own quiet self. 

 

Luhan insists on driving Kyungsoo home, but only after apologizing profusely for how late he’s made him work. 

 

“I’ll pay overtime, of course,” he says as they get into the car.

 

“That’s okay,” Kyungsoo replies with a quiet yawn. “I still owe you for the hospital bill.”

 

Luhan shakes his head ruefully. 

 

The streets of Seoul are marginally more quiet at this hour, though the bright neon lights shine on as they zip past. Soft ballads stream from the radio, adding to the ambience of the quiet atmosphere that Luhan and Kyungsoo share. Under the melodic music and the gentle lull of the moving car, Kyungsoo’s mind slowly drifts until at last his eyes close and he succumbs to wondrous realm of sleep.

 

Luhan slowly parks the car in the alleyway near Kyungsoo’s apartment and chuckles quietly when his eyes land on his sleeping companion. The cold strength and stubbornness that usually mark Kyungsoo’s face have washed away, overtaken by a childlike innocence. 

 

Luhan frowns slightly as he observes the bruises on Kyungsoo’s face. He’s wondered about this boy these past few days, though he hasn’t had time to stay at the office during the evenings. He’s wondered about the bandaids around Kyungsoo’s temple, and about the bruises all over his body that the doctor had discovered. He didn’t think he had a right to ask about them, but he had wondered and had felt sorry. He wonders now about the new cuts and scratches blossoming on Kyungsoo’s face. 

 

He also thinks about Kyungsoo’s gaze sometimes—one that’s so cautious and wary and yet so full of resolve. It conjures up memories of another boy from a different time, a boy just as quiet and withdrawn, a boy who had tried to hide himself but whose inner kindness had shown through despite his best efforts. A boy who had captured Luhan’s heart…a boy now long gone. 

 

Kyungsoo’s face contorts into a look of discomfort—a bad dream, perhaps? Almost unconsciously, Luhan reaches over, wanting to smooth out the frown with a gentle touch. 

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes flutter open a fraction of a second before Luhan’s fingers reach him. Luhan retracts his hand just in time and smiles nonchalantly. “We’re here,” he declares. “Thanks again for your help tonight.”

 

Kyungsoo yawns, then covers his mouth in embarrassment. “It’s no problem,” he responds earnestly as he gets out of the car. 

 

The cool night air briefly refreshes him. He stands at the alley’s opening and again watches until Luhan speeds out of sight. 

 

Luhan’s smile lingers in his mind. 

 

***TBC***

 

A/N: Dun dun dun...what is Luhan's mysterious past??? Who knows? (Not me.) :P Thanks for all the lovely comments and subscribers--will post more soon! Muah <3