Chapter 8

The Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jackson was the only one who didn't jump out of their skin when Mark bursted through the front doors of their cabin.

He could actually sense his pack mate coming but because of all the they were giving him. It was his version of payback. 

Mark gripped the doorframe with his head hung low as he panted tiredly.

"What's wrong with you?" Jinyoung asked as he walked into the room.

The boy wiped his forehead and leaned against the wall. He was so excited that he ran too fast for his own good.

"I…found….her." He panted as he collapsed n the floor. Jaebum scrunched his brows and tossed the boy a cold water bottle which he immediately pressed against his neck.

"Who?" BamBam asked from his spot on the dining table.

Jackson came down the stairs before Mark could answer and froze just as he reached the landing. His eyes rushed around the room just as his eyes flashed a bright purple.

His chest rumbled loudly, almost sounding like a purr. Soft rays of sun beamed through the window and blinded the pack.

"What…is that smell?" Jackson asked as he moved closer to Mark.

"Huh?" Mark blinked up at the prince from the floor.

"Why do you smell like raspberries?" Jackson's voice was steady as he spoke with an accusatory tone.

Mark stared at Jackson, confused before raising his arm to sniff himself. "What are you talking about? I smell normal. Maybe a little sweaty bu--"

Jackson grabbed Mark's shoulder and dug his nails into his skin, "Why the hell do you smell like raspberries?"

The rest of the pack stood up in shock but not because Jackson was slowly shoving the elder boy against the wall, but because Mark started to laugh.

Loudly.

Jackson blinked at the boy in surprise, unsure why he was reacting so weirdly. "What's so funny?"

"Why are you so mad that I smell like fruit?" He said between laughs.

Jackson didn't reply and just looked at Mark blankly. He didn't know why he was agitated. He just felt…possessive that Mark was wearing that scent.

"Is it because your mate smells like raspberries?" Mark taunted with a raised brow,

Jackson's eyes widened and he immediately let go of his friend, stumbling back a few steps. He hadn't made the connection but he was right, his mate did smell like raspberries. That's what he picked up the second he walked into that party.

The scent of his human mate.

?

"Why do you smell like that?" This time around, his voice was less protective but more confused.

"That's what I wanted to tell you before you so rudely interrupted. I found her. I found your mate."

Silence filled the room before Youngjae blurted out, "Holy ."

Jackson looked disturbed, "H-how?"

"I ran into her at the bookstore in town, some girls were talking about her being at the party and making out with you. It's her, I swear."

Yugyeom shot up from his seat, his face beaming. "You have to go!"

Jackson shook out of his daze. "Like hell I will."

Yugyeom pouted, "But you have to!"

"I don't have to do ."

"Jackson." Jaebum said with authority. "You know that the elders won't be happy if you willing avoided your mate."

"Bu--"

"You haven't even met her yet! So unless you want to die like the last human mated wolf, you better get your up and out that door." Jinyoung ordered.

"Is she nice?" Yugyeom asked as he pranced over to Mark. Jackson crossed his arms against the wall and looked away but it didn't stop him from listening to the older boy's reply.

"Yeah. She is. A little too nice for our prince." Jackson snorted at his jab. "She's really sweet and helpful. I like her."

A small, barely noticeable growl left Jackson's lips but his pack heard it and watched him with smirks on their faces.

No matter how much he hated the concept, he still felt that natural protectiveness over his mate, even he couldn't stop himself. He knew that Mark would never make a move, hell the elder had a mate of his own out there somewhere, but hearing him talk so highly of his mate got him on edge.

Stupid human mate.

"There were a few girls talking her but I think they were just jealous of her and Mark." He said wiggling his brows.

Jackson made a face but started pulling his sweater off the coat rack.

"Is she pretty?" Youngjae asked attentively.

Mark glanced at Jackson who was frozen, with his back to his pack and his sweater half on his body, trying not to listen.

No matter how passionately he denied it, his interest was piqued.

"Yeah, she's pretty above average. I mean, I don't think I could fairly judge, but by the looks of the way the human boys were staring at her, I'm pretty sure quite a few people would find her attractive. I mean you should've seen them. They were looking at her like vultures around a dead carcass."

Youngjae whistled, "Did you hear that? Your mate is apparently so hot that even the other humans want a piece of her. I wonder if that'll make it harder for you to get her to fall for you."

Jackson bristled and threw his hood over his head before stomping out of the door.

"Where are you going?" Jaebum called out.

"To find this stupid human that you guys won't shut up about. Maybe if I see her, you'll all stop talking about her every goddamn second." Jackson hissed.

He slammed the door behind him and shoved his hands in his pockets before storming off. The pack shared glances with each other before Jinyoung threw Mark a fresh t-shirt.

"There is no way we're going to miss this. Let's go."

-----

Jackson stared up at the bookstore sign for a good 10 minutes before he finally decided to walk in. A part of him didn't want to go inside because if he did, he'd be acknowledging the fact that he did have a mate but if he didn't and the spirits found out, he'd be in so much trouble with his parents.

But as much as he didn't care, he was kind of curious. This wasn't just any human mate. This was the human mate to the prince of wolves. There had to be something special about her.

Maybe she was humble and motherly.

Or maybe she was bright and bubbly like Mark said.

Ugh, God, please not that.

Either way, he was sure of one thing:

Once she sets sight on him, he was never going to get rid of her.

Grrreeeeaaaattt.

He groaned and could feel a slight drizzle letting out to match his resistant emotion. He knew his pack was following behind too so it only made things worse.

He sighed and grabbed the handle before going to meet his nightmare.

-----

The bell chimed, signalling a new customer but Areum was distracted by the sudden fiery ignition in her chest that had been burning for the laste 10 minutes. It was like at the party when she was getting tipsy.

She felt like the blood in her veins were sizzling, sending pleasant little shocks up and down her nerves.

Am I having heartburn? A 21?

Was that normal?

"Hi." 

Areum blinked as she raised her head at the boy who stood in front of the counter with a dead look in his eyes. 

But he was a beautiful boy.

He had tanned skin that seemed to glow even under the harsh fluorescent light. He had pursed pink lips that offset his dark, sharp eyebrows that framed his piercing brown eyes.

His hair was tucked under his grey hoodie but she could make out the chocolate brown hair that peek out from the ends. He held himself high with confidence, his back straight and his head tilted up. His strides were long and steady and she could sense the strength that he carried with himself.

If that even made sense.

Her eyes trailed down and noticed a chain that was tucked into his sweater before the boy cleared his throat, forcing her attention back up to his sharp, guarded eyes that surveyed her judgingly.

She looked around the store before furrowing her brows. "Uh, hi?"

Jackson squinted his eyes at her.

She was stunning.

.

She had long honey blonde hair with glowing skin that almost looked too soft to touch. She had eyes that rivalled the most expensive coffee and lips that looked so evenly pinked that they almost looked unreal.

And that freaking smell.

It was as if he was standing in the middle of a field of raspberries in the middle of spring. She smelled so fresh and sweet that it was hard not to purr in satisfaction.

He didn't expect a lot from his mate which was why her beauty took him by surprise, but it almost immediately made him madder when he noticed a few teenage boys staring at her as they exited the store.

It would be troublesome if he had to constantly make sure no one was eyeing his mate. It had only been 2 seconds and she was already a burden.

 Now that the boys that left, the two of them were officially alone. Which was good because he didn't want to do this in front of any witnesses.

"My name is Jackson Wang." He stated robotically.

"Ummmm...okay." She said before turning her head back to her novel, scanning the lines as if he wasn't standing just a few feet away from her.

His jaw almost hit the floor when she ignored him. He was the prince, her mate, and she couldn't even take two seconds to look at him.

What the hell?

She should be honoured to be in his presence.

Jackson sighe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter