#012 Winter Break

She's My Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana was absentmindedly staring at the glass globe for the past 20 minutes. It has been two weeks since Kai surprised her by singing ‘happy birthday’ to her. She still couldn’t get him out of her head. The way he looked at the ground while singing and stuttering at the same time was playing repeatedly inside her head. At that time, she swore, her heart skipped a beat.

She wasn’t sure anymore of what she was feeling. She was sure that she likes Kyungsoo but Kai was giving her a hard time. Kai’s frustrating. He’s cold but warm at the same time. He’s snobbish but caring at the same time. His personality is really frustrating. Hana told herself a million times that it’s impossible for her to fall for a person like Kai. For a fact, she hated him since the day that they met-the time when he pinned her against the gate and threatened to put her on fire.

She hated him more when they pulled a prank on her. She hated him. But…that hatred was slowly washed off when Kai apologized. Her heart somewhat softened when Kai did their entire project on his own. The hatred totally washed off when he saved her at that dark alley. And her heart got totally confused when he took her by surprise by singing that night.

Falling for him…is just impossible.

A knock on the door snapped her back to reality. “What are you doing? Let’s go” Yumi told her as she opened the door. Hana got up from her bed then put the glass globe on her desk. She pulled her suitcase then followedYumi going to the common room where other students were waiting with their own suitcases.

Woohyun immediately ran towards her and hugged her tightly. Hana was taken aback by his sudden actions but she just patted his back. “I’m going to miss you” Woohyun whined like a child as he pouted. Hana chuckled then hit his arm lightly. “Me too. How can I not miss you?” she playfully replied.

“Get a room” L suddenly grunted. Woohyun turned and glared at him. L just shrugged then sat on the couch. “Oh! Kai, you’re also going home?” Sehun suddenly stood. Hana turned to look at Kai. He was with Kyungsoo and he was holding his suitcase. They met each other’s gaze but Kai quickly looked at Sehun. “I’m not” Kai replied.

“He’s going home with me” Kyungsoo stated with a smile. Hana suddenly remembered the time when Kai told her that there’s no one to talk to so he never used the cards given by the school. Her eyes softened as she looked at Kai once again. He may look cold and snobbish outside but he might be hiding something inside. Maybe he’s just showing those sides of him because he’s alone. Hana felt a sudden tug inside. She wanted to know him more.

“I see you’re also going home” Kyungsoo’s voice brought her back. Hana nodded. “We’re going home together. It’s my first time going home after coming to the Left Wing so I’m excited” she chirped as she pointed at Yumi, feeling all excited.

Kai was just standing there, looking at her. Someone nudged her lightly. It was Woohyun and he was grinning widely as if teasing him. Kai’s face turned serious and the next thing that happened was Woohyun jumping up and down while trying to put out the fire on his jacket. A bucket of water came floating above his head. The water from the bucket put out the fire.

Woohyun was drenched on water. He sighed then looked at Yumi. “Thanks”

Yumi just nodded. Woohyun glared at Kai. “What do you think are you doing?! You just torched my very expensive jacket!” he yelled at him. Kai just shrugged. “Oh, sorry. My Alice slipped off”

Woohyun was fuming like hell. “I will everyone here that you like-”

Before even finishing his sentence, he was dragged by Kai with his mouth covered tightly.  Kyungsoo shook his head while chuckling. “So childish” he said. 

TOP was out of breath when he reached Jaejoong’s office. The door flew open and he hurriedly entered. There, he saw Jaejoong lying on the couch with his arm covering his eyes. Taeyeon, who just finished using her Alice on Jaejoong, stood and looked at TOP who was obviously worried. “I’ll take my leave then” she commented before walking past TOP.

Jaejoong looked even paler than before. It was obvious that he’s sick. TOP walked towards him. Jaejoong sat up while ruffling his hair. He had an assuring smile on his face. “Are you okay?” TOP asked immediately.

Jaejoong nodded casually as he stood and made his way towards the table where a glass of water was left. “Are you really okay? It’s the first time that you fainted after that incident. Let me take a look” TOP stated as he tried to look at Jaejoong’s arm. Jaejoong hid his arm behind him as he shook his head. “I’m really okay. Don’t worry too much. I just need some rest. I was very busy with some reports so I had no time to rest” he explained, trying to convince TOP.

TOP knew that anything that he will say next will not convince Jaejoong. After all, he’s as stubborn as he is. “Did the kids go?” Jaejoong asked while taking his seat. “Yeah, they already left. But…is it really the best decision. With the rebels lurking around, is it safe for the kids to be out there?” TOP asked with a tone of worry.

“Let’s just give the kids some time to be with their families. The Winter Break is given every year so it would lead to some issues if we suddenly say that they should not go home. Teacher Kim told me that the Council is making a close look at each department. Seunghyun, they’re looking for holes for them to use. One mistake and they’re going to push the take-over. Teacher Kim is trying his best to stop any leakage of information. He’s defending the school’s departments from every questioning”

Upon hearing that, TOP sighed as he plopped down on the couch. “I really hate this. Just thinking of the Council is making me sick and now we also need to think of the rebels out there. What are we supposed to do?”

“I already asked Siwon and his group to track the rebels. As for the kids, Yunho’s team will be looking out for them. Did you give them Limiters?” Jaejoong asked. TOP quickly nodded. “I gave all of them their own Limiters. What I’m worried about is that kid. I noticed some changes on him but I’m still not sure if he can control his Alice when he’s angry. What’s surprising is that he also left for the Winter Break”

Jaejoong leaned forward upon hearing that. “That’s a surprise. For the past years, he spent the Winter Break here at the school. What’s he up to?”

TOP shrugged as he took a sip of his hot tea. “But I heard he’s not going home. He’s going with Kyungsoo. I think he’s still not okay with his father” he commented. Jaejoong rested his chin on his clasped hands. “I think it’s still haunting him. Being held responsible for his mother’s death by the people around him at such a young age is just traumatic. Teacher Kim never mentioned him when we talked but when I mentioned his name, I saw how his eyes softened. I think he really wants to talk to him but is afraid that his son will shut him even more”

“That kid’s really not a joke but I really noticed that he changed” TOP nodded.

“It must be about what Jiyong told me” Jaejoong mumbled with a fatherly smile on his face. 

It’s been a while since Hana went home and she really missed working at her grandpa’s place. Her grandpa’s running a hot spring resort and the theme was Japanese so she needed to wear Japanese attire. She closed the record book for the reservation of rooms. Yumi entered the room, fully dressed just like her. “I’ll take my turn. Your grandpa said you should go and help him with something at the house” Yumi told her as she got the record book from her. Yumi’s a close neighbour so she always helped them with the resort. Although it was the first time for them to work together after Yumi’s sudden transfer, they’re both a natural when it comes to welcoming the guests and escorting them to their rooms.

Hana hurriedly ran to their house, just few meters away from the main resort. There, she found her grandpa preparing food for their dinner. She helped him with some dishes. It’s still not that dark but he was already preparing, saying that he needs to attend to the needs of the guests when it becomes darker.

Time flies really fast. Hana returned to the resort and found a note from Yumi. “Hana, I just went and looked a guest who was requesting some things. I’ll be back soon. Please check the mixed bath area. Mister Yoon told me that he needed to go home because his daughter suddenly got sick” Hana put the note down then looked around. No one was around so she decided that she should check the mixed bath first.

“It’s almost dinner so the guests should be at the dining hall already” she mumbled to herself when she noticed that there were few guests walking towards the baths. There were five different baths in the resort-female, male, mixed (which few people go to) and two open baths (female and male). She looked around once again to confirm if no one’s going to the mixed bath. Confirming that it’s safe to enter, she took a step towards the bath.

She was carefully walking since she might slip. The bath looks okay so she walked towards stand where the towels were. She was in the middle of fixing them when she heard a sudden splash of water-as if someone just got out of it. Out of curiosity, she turned around and to her surprise she was now staring at a guy. Her eyes widened in shock and horror. A perfect sculptured body was in front of her.

Her mind was not functioning at the moment. The guy in front of her was in the same situation. She wanted to turn around quickly but her eyes have their mind of their own. She couldn’t help but look…down…there. The guy quickly covered himself. Hana finally found herself facing the opposite direction. “I-I-I d-did n-not s-s-see a-anything” she managed to blurt out despite stuttering. He face was burning and she swore they were red at the moment.

The guy did not answer but just stared at her in surprise. Her knees were shaking terribly. What she saw was even worse than horror. “I-I r-really d-d-did n-not s-see anything” her voice was cracking. She crouched then shut her eyes. She buried her face on her palms as she muttered things

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter