Replay || Part 1

I Couldn't Stay Away

2 years later

 

"You have a meeting at 4:30 in the main office." Junho, Chanyeol's assistant, says carefully reading the schedule while matching Chanyeol's pace. "It's about the party you'll be hosting next Saturday to celebrate the opening of the new branch near Manhattan."

 

Chanyeol looks at his watch with his lips curving into a  sly smile. "Looks like I have a couple of minutes to spare. I'll go out for a couple of minutes. To you know, catch some fresh air. Do you want some coffee? Maybe an Americano?"

 

"But sir-"

 

"Don't be so uptight. I'll be back before 4:30." Chanyeol promises. 

 

Junho groans, hitting his head with his clipboard as he watches his boss exit the building. "You always say that."

 

With his hands in his pockets for warmth, Chanyeol walks around the streets of New York City.

  

After cancelling the wedding, Chanyeol returned home and worked hard to get the company out of bankruptcy along with trying to soothe ties with his family, who were still upset over the fact that Lay broke off the wedding. It was the hardest two years of his life with nonstop work, but thankfully everything paid off in the end. Because after 2 years of hardship, it was safe to say that the Park Cooperation was successfully able to pay off all their debts (even the money they burrowed from Jongin's company).

 

Chanyeol's in New York for a month due to a buisness trip, overseas. Park Cooperations has gotten so big that Chanyeol even has plans of expanding and building bigger branches.

 

Although his schedule was packed, Chanyeol still managed to find time for himself. As for his love life, nothing had changed. He hasn't dated anyone since, hoping that one day, he'll finally be able to find Baekhyun again and start anew with him. All of Baekhyun's belongings were still in Chanyeol's apartment and Chanyeol had no intentions of throwing them away. Of course, there were times when Chanyeol would stop in front of their pictures and feel hopeless but something in him told him that they'll meet again.

 

If they met once then they'll be able to met again.

 

"Where was it again?" Chanyeol mumbles to himself, as he scans the crowded streets. Chanyeol just wanted to grab a quick drink at the nearby coffeeshop before the meeting had to start, but somehow managed to get himself lost. What's worst is that he has a meeting to attend with less than 5 minutes to spare. 

 

As Chanyeol continues to retrace his steps, he watches as an old lady and a busy buisness man collide into one another, causing the old lady to fall on her knees and drop her groceries. Unaware of the situation he had caused, the buisness man quickly leaves -probably to attend a meeting or something, Chanyeol figures. 

 

 "Let me help you with that." Chanyeol says, kneeling down to help pick up the groceries that had fallen. 

 

The grandmother stops Chanyeol with a warm smile. "You're going to get your suit dirty, young man. I'm alright, I can pick it up from here. Besides, It looks like your very busy-"

 

Chanyeol shakes his head, smiling back. "It won't be a problem."

 

Once he had finished placing the items inside of the brown paper bag, Chanyeol helps the old lady stand up. 

 

"Thank you." The grandmother replies, grinning widely as she pats Chanyeol on the back. "Well, aren't you a kind gentlemen... Handsome too. We need more of you in society unlike those rotten scums now a days. I wish I had something to give to you for helping me-"

 

 "No, it's okay." 

 

"What are you talking about? I should return the favor." The grandmother says, slapping Chanyeol on his shoulder, which causes Chanyeol flinch. The old lady reaches into the plastic bag and hands Chanyeol a peach. "It not much, but they say that peaches are associated with weath, health, and abundance."

 

"It's also a symbol for love and marriage." The granmother winks. 

 

Chanyeol lets out a laugh, as he fondles with the peach. "Are you trying to tell me that I should get married?"

 

"Well, you are a decent young man." The grandmother replies, nodding her head before she suddenly snaps her fingers. "You know what? Let me introduce you to someone. I'm sure, you'll-"

 

Chanyeol laughs. "Maybe next time."

 

"Are you sure? We live just a block away-"

 

"It's okay." Chanyeol replies, before checking the time on his watch. "I should be getting back anyways... But do you perhaps know the way to Park Cooperation?"

 

After retrieving the directions from the grandmother, the two say their goodbyes before Chanyeol heads back to the company building. Once he steps foot inside the building, Chanyeol watches as Junho makes his way towards him, looking like he had aged since Chanyeol had left. Junho's hair was a mess and he was sweating... Alot.

 

"Where have you been?" Junho pants, as he accompanys Chanyeol up the elevator. "I've been looking for you everywhere! I called your phone 20 times before I realized that you forgot it in your office... You said you'd be back-"

 

"I got lost."

 

"Lost?" Junho says in disbelief, before he follows his boss out of the elevator. "Mr. Park, the coffeeshop is just across the-"

 

"Are they still here?" Chanyeol asks, completely ignoring Junho's past comment. 

 

Junho sighs. "They haven't left yet."

 

"Perfect."

 

-

 

As for Baekhyun, living in such a big, busy city as New York gave Baekhyun multiple headaches and stress. Baekhyun hated it there, but it wasn't like he could just move back to Korea again... He had already closed down his cafe and sold his apartment so moving back seemed irrelevant now. Besides, he promised his family -mostly his grandmother- that he would stay... Baekhyun couldn't just break his promise with his grandmother... Not when she was the one that supported his decisions back then when he was still a stubborn teenager.

 

After being discharged at the hospital and explaining everything that had happened to his mother (who had traveled to Korea to check up on her son), Baekhyun was forced to move back to New York. He didn't want to, but at that moment, he felt that it would be the right thing to do... Of course, he didn't want to leave but everything around him just reminded him of Chanyeol. It was as if everything around him was a connection to Chanyeol and Baekhyun knew that if he had wanted to break all ties with the latter, he should be the one to cut those ties.

 

"What's taking that bastard so long?" Baekhyun hisses, a little bit annoyed while waiting. Checking the his watch, Baekhyun groans. "He's 20 minutes late... Just because he's a CEO, he thinks he could waste our time? this, let's just-"

 

"Go?" Jonghyun completes Baekhyun's thought, shaking his head in response. When Baekhyun still lived in New York with his parents, he became friends with Jonghyun, a fellow neighboor, who went to the same college as him. The two were close and shared the same interests, but after moving  to set up his cafe in Korea, Baekhyun lost contact with Jonghyun. Since Baekhyun's return however, Jonghyun was able to help Baekhyun find a job at his family's catering company. "No, Baek. He's a friend of a huge client. We have to stay."

 

Standing up, Baekhyun streches his body. "Fine, let me just get some fresh air."

 

As Baekhyun is about to turn the door knob, the door suddenly swings open revealing a familiar face, whom he hadn't in 2 years. Baekhyun opens his mouth to speak but nothing comes out. Baekhyun thought he was over everything... He thought that after 2 years he would finally able to forget everything and move on. He thought that after he left, all the emotions he had in the past would disappear. But once Baekhyun had seen Chanyeol's face again, all the emotions Baekhyun had bottled up and left in the past suddenly began to overwhelm him. 

 

"Baekhyun." Chanyeol says, in disbelief. It takes Chanyeol a while to realize that Baekhyun was actually here. He's about to reach over and caress Baekhyun's cheek, when Baekhyun suddenly takes a step back. 

 

"I gotta-"

 

Before Baekhyun could finish what he was going to say, Junho walks into the room and bows his head. "I'm sorry for the wait. Mr. Park got lost on his way back. Shall we get started with the meeting?"

 

"Baek, come sit down." Jonghyun says, slapping the open seat besides him to signal Baekhyun to sit down. 

 

The atmosphere around the room was strictly professional, according to Baekhyun, who kept his attention on Jonghyun... Junho... the wall... the pile of papers on the table... His attention was everywhere, but, Baekhyun never dared to look towards Chanyeol's direction. From the corner of his eyes, however, Baekhyun could see Chanyeol's eyes pointed directly towards him, which he ignored. 

 

"How about dessert?" 

 

"Oh right! Baekhyun will tell you about our desserts." Jonghyun explains. "He's our main baker."

 

"Here's our pamplet for dessert." Baekhyun says, showing Chanyeol a pamplet of their dessert options. As Baekhyun hands Chanyeol the pamplet, his hand brushes against Chanyeol's, causing the two to have some eye contact. Retracting his arm, Baekhyun fakes a cough before he continues. "For this type of event, I recommed our White Chocolate Rasberry Mousse or our Cherry Jubilee-"

 

"That's too formal." Chanyeol replies, sitting upright from his chair. "I want something causal for this event... We're celebrating the launch of the new building so why not have cake? Heck, why don't we just make cupcakes-"

 

Baekhyun scoffs, crossing his arms. "Mr. Park, we don't make cupcakes-"

 

"-but we can." Jonghyun butts in almost immediately. Clearing his throat, he orders Baekhyun to keep quiet while he speaks. "We're more than willing to make cupcakes for this event, isn't that right Baekhyun?"

 

Baekhyun nods his head. "Right."

 

Before Jonghyun has a chance to speak, a sudden ringing is heard coming from his pockets. "I'm sorry, I should've silenced my phone before the meeting had started-"

 

"It seems important, you should take it." Chanyeol suggests. 

 

Jonghyun hesitates whether or not he should answer the call, but when he finally comes up with a conclusion, Jonghyun exuses himself. "Please continue talking to Baekhyun about the desserts while I take this call. It shouldn't take long."

 

Baekhyun clings onto Jonghyun's shirt. He didn't like the idea of being alone in the same room as Chanyeol. "Jongh-"

 

"What is it, Baek?" Jonghyun asks, giving him a slight smile, which causes Baekhyun to let go of his grip on Jonghyun's shirt. "I'll be back soon. I promise."

 

"I think I left some documents in the car... Could you get them for me, Junho?" 

 

"But sir-" 

 

"It's fine... Go." Chanyeol says, causing Junho to nod his head before he exits the room. Satisfied with himself, Chanyeol folds his arms with his whole attention directed towards the latter. 

 

"What flavor should the cupcake be? Vanilla? Maybe, Chocolate-" 

 

"We need to talk." Chanyeol says, in a definite tone. The statement was plain and simple just as it should be when talking to someone as stubborn as Baekhyun.

 

"We are talking... I'm asking you what flavor you want the cupcakes to be-"

 

"That's not what I meant and you know it." Chanyeol replies, getting up from his seat to approach Baekhyun, who was fumbling with his fingers as he sat on the couch. Chanyeol hesitates for a second, deciding whether or not to take the empty seat besides Baekhyun or if it would have been a better option to just stay standing. In the end, Chanyeol decides to sit face to face with Baekhyun. "Drop the act and let's work this out before you suddenly run off on me again."

 

Baekhyun scoffs. "I didn't run off you... I was discharged so I left-"

 

"...without even telling me? Or Kyungsoo?" Chanyeol questions, feeling a little bit irrated by Baekhyun's simple statement. "No one knew where the hell you were or what you were doing. Hell, you could've died and I would've not even known what happened to you."

 

"Kyungsoo knew where I went. I called him as soon as I got discharged from the hospital." Baekhyun mumbles softly, but enough for Chanyeol to understand.

 

Chanyeol scoffs, running his hands through his styled hair. "So I was the only one left out of this."

 

"I didn't think you would care." Baekhyun replies, shrugging his shoulders. "We had nothing to do with each other anymore... We clearly broke up... and from what I remember you got married."

 

"I didn't get married." Chanyeol replies. "We broke it off... the engagement that is."

 

"Oh... bummer."

 

Deciding that the conversations wasn't going to go anywhere, Chanyeol decides to change the subject. "Give me your phone number-"

 

"Hell no."

 

"Junho's going to come back soon so you might as well-"

 

"I told you, no."

 

"Then how about your address."

 

"You're crazy if you think that I'd give you my address." Baekhyun replies, before he stands up. "Listen, I don't have time for this. If you have any questions about anything just... just contact Jonghyun... I'm sure he'd be glad to help you."

 

"Well, if that's it then I'll be taking my leave." Baekhyun announces, as he bows at Chanyeol.

 

"We're not done talking, come back here!" Furrowing his eyebrows, Chanyeol opens his mouth to speak but before he has a chance to, the door suddenly opens, causing Chanyeol to groan in annoyance when it reveals Junho. In an instant, Baekhyun bids his farewells and heads out the door. Groaning, Chanyeol leans back against the chair. "Did you find it?"

 

"No... Are you sure there were documents in the car? I searched everywhere for them...." Junho says, rubbing the back of his neck. "If you want I'll go call Mr. L-"

 

"It's fine." Chanyeol replies, closing his eyes as he leans back against the chair. When he opens his eyes, he sees the peach, that the grandmother had given him, sitting on top of his desk causing Chanyeol's lips to curve into a sly smile. "I need you to do something else for me." 

 

"What is it?"


A/N: Part 1 is up! Sorry for the lack of updates, I started school a while ago and was already so stressed out so I took a break on writing. I'll try to post Part 2 by the end of this month (or not). Part 1 is more of them meeting and all... it's mostly about what happened to Chanyeol. Part 2 will be more on Baekhyun's life now. It'll also be alot longer than this chapter!