One

It (Lies) In the Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter




It's a different kind of world when love is something that can no longer be hidden. It's a different kind of world when everybody believes in soulmates. Or something like that.

Except Yoongi considers the soulmate heart technology the worst invention of the millenium. Every child is implanted with the newest version of the “CardiSoul”, CS for short, right after they are born—a device that glows when you meet or find your so-called “soulmate”. Despite the inventor earning a Nobel Peace Prize, and many other awards, he feels it rather seems...useless.

The purpose of the device was to make it easier for people to find love. In conclusion, would increase people's outlook on life, to be more active and involved and make the world a better place. It worked, Yoongi admits, although he had been born way after the beginning stages of the technology. When he studies about the past, of how it was like in the 2000s, in his World History 350 class, he realizes immediate differences. He was born into a Korea with a thriving economy, a crime rate so low it seems strange to see CCTVs anymore, and people actually do seem happier.

The CS doesn’t really detect soulmates per se, but rather when two people have feelings towards each other, both of their hearts glow. Literally.

“It detects the change in hormones within the person's body, finds a match nearby, and then it glows a bright pink-peach color,” his professor says, pointing to an anatomical diagram of how the CardiSoul worked.

The CS worked because at the time of invention, it was instantly much less confusing and much more relieving to both parties who might try to hide their feelings or play it off as something else. It was like an instant confession without even needing words.

“So basically, the CS helps people know what really lies in their hearts feel rather than confusing themselves with their brain?” a girl asks.

“Correct, while obviously a person can decide whether or not to begin a relationship, it helped many in falling in love, and finding happiness,” the professor answers. “Additionally, the rate of cheating has dropped dramatically because if someone's heart glowed for another person other than their partner, they would instantly know. Their partner would know as well since their hearts will no longer glow for each other.”

It was understandable between both parties; either they break up, or fix their relationship until their hearts work together again. Obviously, it wouldn't be an easy road, but the CS cuts all the bull out and honestly reveals what each partner is thinking. In a way, Yoongi can't really complain about that.

All that aside, Yoongi still hates the CS because he hates the thought of love; the thought of becoming a different person for a someone else. He hates the commercials of CS-related technology like rings that glow when they're near or beds with special effects when two lovers are in it. The commercials always show how happy they seem, dumb smiles and overly giddy laughs that don't make sense. No one is really that happy, for goodness sakes.

“The CS is as normal as like getting a vaccine nowadays,” the professor drones on. “Most doctors include the procedure right after the baby is born unless there's a specific request from the parent not to.”

Some people, as a result, don't have it at all but it does make it a little harder for them and their partners. As a result of that, not many stay in very long relationships and many others decide to get it themselves later on in life. It's the combination of mass media and conformity.

Yoongi has to admit his own heart has never glowed. Maybe it had broken. Or maybe his parents were the type to request that Yoongi not have the CS surgery as a baby. And maybe he just doesn't care enough.

He sits in World History, the professor rambling off about something else he hasn't listened to while deep in thought. Yoongi has the textbook flipped to the pages running off about pre-CS technology, how people would have lived, and how life was like.

He knows he'll never be able to experience that, and that he's stuck in a lifestyle that he couldn't really understand. Love wasn't really necessary to live, why was it such a big part of society not just today, but even from the very beginning?

 

In the lecture hall across from Yoongi's, Jimin sits intently, eyes flickering up to the teacher while constantly writing down notes on the lesson. If Yoongi hated love, Jimin hated it more. He would agree that love wasn't necessary to live and rather, it was a distraction. At least, not the love the CS technology aimed for. He only loved his family: his parents and little brother.

All he wants in life is to study hard through university, get his degree, work hard and live comfortably in the end. He really doesn't need to get involved with love because the last time his heart glowed, it was for a noona who was three years his age. All it was, was really awkward for the both of them. They never did anything, just avoided each other until the girl moved away and they never saw each other again.

He's convinced himself now, through the pain from the past, that there's no way he'll let something like that get in the way of his goals. In all honesty, he feels he gets enough exposure to love watching his two best friends Jungkook and Taehyung. He makes fun of them often, but it's okay because they're happy and Jimin is happy too.

 

When it's time to eat his lunch, Yoongi groans at the sight of crowds of teenagers in one place. Hearts glow too much here because of dating couples. The ones who have been in a relationship in a while glow less brightly, probably not because their love has diminished but because they've learned to keep control of it. On the other hand, new couples make Yoongi want to punch them in their faces.

He quickly grabs the food he wants, and heads over to a random empty table. Unlike high school, at least no one cared if you sat alone in the dining hall for lunch. He would eat with someone—like his friends Namjoon, Seokjin and Hoseok, if they all didn't take the same calculus class together. Namjoon and Yoongi were both music majors, why did he even need to take that specific class? He quickly eats his meal to avoid being in this place any longer.

With a two hour break between his World History class and his Music Theory class, he heads back to his dorm. When he arrives, he sees a small crowd of people around the bulletin board in the main entrance hall. He appreciates the fact his dorm and resident advisors and community leaders are trying to make everything as comfortable and fun as possible, but at the same time, it wasn't like he was going to participate in any of that anyway.

He is a junior now, and he al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter