First Day At Work

L.Joe's Bride

Minji and I dropped by at a restaurant to eat first before going home. She told me a lot of things that I have missed for the past 5 years. And yes, there are a lot.

She told me how miserable she is because she felt all so guilty that I have to go away when she knew that I can’t bear to go out of the country alone, what more live there alone?

I was shocked to see her this way, in all honesty. She’s too kind to me and I don’t know if I deserve it because I betrayed her.

All through my life in America, there was only one thing that was on my mind. And I know that it’s true and I can’t help but feel guilty for Minji. And Jiho. I miss Woo Jiho.

The saddest thing about betrayal is that it doesn’t come from your enemies.

Heck yes. I betrayed her and I am her best friend but look at her now, she’s too sweet to me and she’s apologizing because she thinks it’s her fault. Because she was mad at me and I couldn’t take it.

Wrong.

It is my fault.

I backed out from the engagement and the merge was cancelled so I have to study abroad and learn all the things I need to learn for our businesses.

I am happy though.

At least Minji talks to me. At least the friendship is there again.

--

“Hana!” Mom was rushing to me as soon as she saw me by the door.

I smiled and hugged her tight. I missed her. I know I do. But I didn’t know how much until now.

“You’ve gotten thinner!” She bellowed at me.

I laughed at her. “I don’t really like American foods that much, Mom.” I replied.

I looked at her and she still looks the same. My mom never really gets old.

“Oh, Hana, you’re back!” I looked behind Mom and saw Dad beaming at me.

I smiled and nodded. “Hi, Dad!” I greeted him. I don’t blame him for everything that happened to me. I mean, when I studied abroad. Like I said, everything is my fault.

But it’s all done now. I’m back. Though I’m really missing Valeria.

“Looking good, eh?” He asked me.

I chuckled and gave him a peck on the cheek. “You too, Dad.” I told him.

Mom and Dad laughed at me. They are probably thinking that I didn’t learn anything at school because I am still childish.

Lies.

I’ve been consistently topping our exams in there and I know every aspect of business now. After all, that was what I HAD to do.

“Have you eaten?” Mom asked me.

I nodded. “I ate with MInji a while ago.” I replied.

She smiled. She knows my conflict with Minji and I know that she is happy knowing that I am with my best friend once again.

Oh! Minji’s a news anchor now. Well, not really news but she has this show called “Fashion Tonight” and she guests really really famous fashion designers and icons.

Really big time now. I wish I could visit her when she’s on set so I could talk to some famous personalities as well. Hah! I’m really jealous.

“You go rest then.” Dad told me.

I smiled and nodded then I went to my room.

My old room.

I suddenly remember him. And our room. And our house.

What could have happened to our house? Is it still there? Did he take it down? Did he sell it?

Suddenly I stopped thinking. I can’t be thinking about him now. I should start thinking about business.

I washed up then went to bed.

Wishing that he would get out of my mind when I wake up.

--

“Welcome to your new office, Ms. Kim.” Dad’s secretary, Mr. Kwon, showed me my room.

Dad is still in charge of the office. He’s still the President and the owner of the company, while I take the CEO position.

“Thanks, Mr. Kwon.” I told him and bowed as I entered my new office.

It’s kind of comfortable actually. It’s big and new and everything seemed clean and wasn’t used until now. Actually, the room looked like it wasn’t used and I am the first person who got inside this room.

Mr. Kwon smiled at me then a woman came inside. “This is Kim Namjoo. Your secretary.” He told me the woman smiled and bowed at me.

She looks so innocent but sophisticated at the same time. Cool, in fact. Like the vibe Minji gives off. Yes, Namjoo gives me that same vibe.

“Oh, hello, Namjoo-ssi.” I greeted her. I don’t know what to address her. Is she older? Is she younger? Should I use formalities?

In the end, I did.

She smiled at me. “Oh, good morning, Ms. Kim.” She smiled at me.

I smiled at the name she called me. Ms. Kim. It sounds like the dream I had.

“She’s been working here for half a year and she’s excellent in her job.” Mr. Kwon told me about Namjoo. I raised an eye brow at him. He coughed. “Well, that’s just for your information, Ms. Kim.” He told me.

I chuckled at his expression. Is he trying to impress Namjoo?

“Okay. I got, Mr. Kwon.” I told him.

He nodded then bowed at me. Then left. Leaving me and Namjoo alone in my office.

I looked at her and smiled. “So, how old are you?” I asked.

“I’m 24, Ms. Kim.” She replied.

I nodded. “We’re of the same age.” I told her. “You can just call me Hana.” I smiled.

She smiled back but she shook her head. “No. I’m afraid I can’t do that, Ms. Kim.” She told me. “You’re my boss and I have to go by the rules.” She finished.

I smiled and shrugged. “Well, okay.” I replied. “You can call me Hana outside the office, though.” I insisted.

Well, I like being called Ms. Kim  but it just reminds me of the dream and I don’t feel comfortable about it.

“By the way, you’re also called Ms. Kim.” I joked.

She smiled and laughed.

“Anything you need, Ms. Kim?” She then asked me.

I shook my head and walked to my swivel chair. “Maybe I’ll just have to look into these files.” I told her. “I’ll just call you when I’m troubled about something.” I smiled.

She nodded and left me…

With these tons of papers.

--

“So…” Minji eyed me. “How was the first day at work?” She asked me.

We’re at some bar. The quiet and elegant type of bar where people would enjoy good music instead of those flashy and loud dance stuffs. It’s the type of bar where we relax.

I shrugged. “Nothing important happened, really.” I replied. “Just stayed in my new office and my secretary.”

“Is your secretary a man?”

I shook my head. “No, silly. She’s a she and she reminds me of you actually.” I told her.

Minji gave me a look. “Don’t you dare forget that I am your one and only best friend!” She warned me and even pointed a finger on me.

I laughed. “Why would I even do that?” I asked.

She wrinkled her nose and sipped on her drink. “What’s her name by the way?” She asked.

I gave her a look. “Why? Are you-“

“No, silly! I just want to know her name!” She whined.

I laughed at her. She’s really that same old Minji I know. She didn’t change at all. Even after everything that happened. “Her name’s Namjoo. Kim Namjoo.” I told her.

Suddenly, Minji’s face turned sour. No. It actually darkened and this is one of the rarest times that I see her face like that. The only time I saw her like this was when she discovered about us.

“Why? Is there something wrong?” I asked her.

She looked at me and shook her head. “Eo? Nothing. What could be wrong?” She laughed weakly. She’s lying. There’s definitely something wrong.

I gave her a look. But she looked away from me and gulped her drink down.

I want to know what’s wrong. I want to know what she’s hiding.

But I don’t want to probe right now.