Good Mornings?

The Outcast Club
Miss Right - BTS
 
----------------------
 
A light creak sounded throughout the room as Jeon Jungkook plunked down on his bed. His toothbrush sat in his mouth, and his hair was in unfortunate disarray. 
 
The dark-haired boy was brushing his teeth while checking his messages on his phone.  He had quite a bit of time before he had to get to school, so there was no need to rush. While reading a text from his friend Namjoon, his eyes began to close as the letters on the screen began to blur into grey blobs.
 
Ugh, I'm exhausted.
 
Jungkook dipped backwards, dropping back onto the soft bed, brushing absentmindedly with closed eyes. Each arm movement grew slower and slower before stopping altogether.
 
At that precise moment, the door swung open to reveal a child rather tall for her age, with soft, plush features, and long wavy hair covered up by a yellow snapback cap.
 
 
“Oppa, I need you to do my hair. Mom’s busy.”
 
If Jungkook had heard her, he didn’t show it.
 
The young girl scrunched up her lips and approached her older brother, who was curled up on his side. She tapped him a few times on his knee. “Oppa.”
 
After a few minutes of silence, she folded her arms across her chest before in a sharp breath.
 
“UMMA! OPPA’S BRUSHING HIS TEETH IN HIS ROOM AGA—“
 
Faster than a speeding bullet, Jungkook bolted up and slapped his hand over , giving her a death glare. His sister blinked innocently enough before shoving his hand away. “EW! Your hand has toothpaste goo!”
 
Oh brother, Jungkook made a show of rolling his eyes before opening up his foamy mouth. “O-hay, what do you wan?”
 
“I told you,” she averted her eyes in disgust. “I need you to do my hair. Mom says it’s messy.” She took off her hat and pinched a lock of her hair, which was indeed tangled. “See?”
 
“Gust wear ga hat,” he tilted his head back, trying not to spill any of the remains in his mouth.
 
“I want to wear the hat! Dad said no though.” She frowned.
 
“Fide,” he gave in, standing up in order to head back and rinse his mouth out, when he felt a tickling sensation in his nose. It grew bigger and bigger, and he tried to suppress it, but then—
 
“ACHOO!” Jungkook sneezed, hurling particles of foamy saliva everywhere, hitting his sister's cheeks and hair.
 
The two siblings stared at each other for a long couple of seconds before Jungkook broke the silence. 
 
“Now hol' on, Junhee—“
 
“WAHHH!” Junhee screamed, doing a 180 out the door. “UMMAAA!”
 
“Weigh', WEIGH'!” He reached out with foamy toothpaste still inside his puffed cheeks, but she was already gone. He rubbed his temples with one hand, the other holding onto his toothbrush limply. Aw , I’m going to be in so much trouble.
 
Thinking fast, the seventeen-year old made his way to the bathroom, hoping to lock himself in and never come out. Regrettably, however, he didn’t get very far.
 
“Jeon JUNGKOOK!” His mother caught sight of him, and boy, did she look pissed off. His eyes widened as he scurried to the sink, but a pinch of his ear made him unable to go any farther.
 
“U-Umma!” He croaked, but his mother fiercely dragged him off by his ear into the bathroom. “Shut your trap and follow me!”
 
The door slammed shut, and Jungkook finally pulled free from his mother’s grip. “Mob! Can’t I winse my mouf out at least?!”
 
There was an eerie silence before Mrs. Jeon warmly smiled at her son. “You want to rinse your mouth?”
 
Jungkook nodded expectantly.
 
“Well, if you didn’t brush your teeth anywhere outside of the washroom, we wouldn’t have this problem!”
 
“OW! That hurts! Mom, ENOUGH!”
 
From the other side of the door, Junhee and Mr. Jeon stood with mildly impressed looks.
 
“...Dad, you should really stop brushing your teeth in the living room when Mom’s not looking. She might yell at you, too.”
 
“I don’t!” Mr. Jeon said incredulously.
 
All little Junhee had to do was give him a bland look before he shrank back in guilty silence.
 
*
 
A jet blue car flew down the whirling roads, jumping up and down on the slopes. Gradually, it pulled over at Sunflower Kindergarten.
 
“Have a great day, Shinbi!” A cheerful voice bid.
 
Yura, heart pumping from the exhilaration, stared at the driver from the passenger's seat. Jung Yoomi, a.k.a Ms. Jung or ssem, sat happily beside her, tapping her manicured nails in a carefree rhythm against the steering wheel. Yura heaved a great sigh and shook her head, remembering that very morning.
◀◀ F L A S H B A C K ◀◀
 
“Ah, gotta go, gotta go!” Ken scrambled to slip on his shoes. He gaped, “Wait, wait, my wallet!” In a swift kick, he desperately tried to hop on one foot towards the kitchen.
 
Before he got there, he felt someone tugging on his shirt. Ken looked down to see Shinbi holding out his wallet, with a few crumbs from breakfast on her cheeks, “Here.”
 
“Bibi! My saviour!” Tears almost formed in Ken’s eyes as he gratefully shoved the wallet into his pocket. Shinbi let out an amused laugh at his dramatic reaction.
 
On cue, Yura stepped out, clad in her high school uniform, and raised an eyebrow at his dishevelled figure. She stared down at his feet, that had one shoe off and one shoe on.
 
“I’m sorry girls. I can’t drop you off at school today, or else they might fire me for being extremely late!” The taller male hopped back to the entrance in search of his missing shoe.
 
Yura saw it and lightly kicked it over to him. “Just get to work. If worse comes to worse, we can walk.”
 
Ken slipped his shoe on, “But it’s too far…” He gave them quick kisses – Shinbi easily accepting one, and Yura dodging it – before stepping out into the apartment halls.
 
“Jaehwan, you’re leaving now? Aren't you late?” A sudden voice made all of them turn around to see none other than Jung Yoomi standing there, with her dark red bob and pretty stature. She looked about ready to leave for work.
 
“Yoomi noona!” Ken cried frantically. “Thank the Lord that you’re still here! Listen – can you do me a big favour?”
 
“No—“ Yura tried to refute, but Yoomi put a hand up to stop Ken from talking. “You need someone to drive the darlings?”
 
“Yes!” He exclaimed. Yoomi didn’t even hesitate, “Of course I’ll drive them! It's rather close to work anyway,” she poked Yura with her elbow teasingly.
 
“Thanks noona!” Ken grabbed her hands and sniffled dramatically. “I’m so glad we’re neighbours!”
 
Yoomi laughed and smacked his shoulder like they were buddies that went way back. “Just save me some chicken wings from your part-time job.”
 
“I’ll bring two boxes full!” Ken promised.
◀◀ E N D  O F  F L A S H B A C K ◀◀
 
Unfortunately, Jaehwan doesn’t know that unnie drives like a psycho, Yura picked up Shinbi and set her down on the floor.
 
“I’ll wait here, so hurry back and drop her off!” Yoomi rolled down the window. Shinbi cheekily waved goodbye as Yura hurried her inside.
 
“Shinbi!” Her classroom teacher, Ms. Eun, hurried out to greet her.
 
Shinbi immediately turned shy and bowed. “Hello, teacher.”
 
“Come on in, we just started painting. I see your older sister dropped you off again today too, hm?” The elder lady smiled at Yura.
 
Yura attempted a sorry excuse for a smile. “I’ll be picking her up tonight—” she suddenly paused when she remembered the club. How long is the meeting? 30 minutes? An hour?
 
“Er, actually, Jaehwan might have to. But if he's not here by then, please give me a call and I'll rush over," she replied.
 
“Not to worry, I’ll stay back for as long as I can so that little Shinbi isn’t alone,” the teacher assured. Yura crouched down to Shinbi’s height and smoothed out her hair that was pulled back into two ponytails. 
 
“After school, I’m probably going to be attending club, so I might be a little late. I’ll try to get Ken to come, but if he's still at work, call me and I’ll try to get out early.”
 
“It’s okay unnie,” Shinbi assured, and Yura searched her eyes for a few minutes before she exhaled. 
 
“Okay. Have a good day.”
 
Shinbi cheerfully smiled before the teacher hurried her inside. Yura watched from the door for a bit, as the other children that were already there played amongst themselves. Instead of approaching them, however, Shinbi sat on the carpet, grabbing a set of building blocks. Yura grew alert when she saw her playing alone.
 
Why is she… Yura furrowed her eyebrows when all of a sudden, a sharp honk cut through her ears.
 
“Yura!" Yoomi shouted from the car. "Are you coming?”
 
Without a choice, Yura turned around to leave, but not until she caught one last glance of Shinbi stacking a few of the blocks on top of each other by herself.