Pay it Forward

The Outcast Club
Feel So Good - B.A.P

**testing this new song layout out! what do you think? more effective or nah? 
------------------------
 
 
It was evening at Yura’s, and Shinbi was busy colouring away with a new set of crayons that Ken had brought for her a few days ago.
 
“Okay, I got it. Uh-huh. Don’t worry about us. Yes, yes. Bye then.” Yura spoke quickly into her phone. After minutes of digging through the fridge, it was obvious that there was nothing to cook for dinner. She was beginning to think that maybe Ken had enough reason to be worried about them.
 
“Was that Ken oppa?” she heard Shinbi’s voice from afar.
 
“Yeah, he’s not coming home for dinner today,” Yura grimaced as she pulled out a tub of leftovers from who knows how long out of the fridge. Sure enough, mold was growing on it, and she hacked a bit before throwing it out in disgust.
 
“I’m hungry…” the little girl whimpered.
 
“I’m afraid we don’t have much at home…” Yura eyed the markerboard stuck on the fridge and wrote in large letters: GO FOOD SHOPPING.
 
Scratching her head, she padded back to Shinbi, still colouring in the living room. Yura crossed her arms and plunked down on the sofa, “Shall we have ramen?”
 
Shinbi immediately shook her head, “We had that two days ago. I’m sick of it.”
 
“How about rice, soy sauce, sesame oil and eggs? You like eating it when I mix it up for you.”
 
“No.”
 
“Well, what would you like then?” Yura glanced at the clock as her stomach grumbled impatiently.
 
At once, Shinbi put down her green crayon and grinned expectantly, eyes wide with excitement. “I want to go eat street food! Oden soup and tteokbokki and fried dumplings…” Just thinking about it made her her lips.
 
“S-Street food?” Yura blinked in surprise. Truthfully, she didn’t mind eating it either, but Ken would give her a good scolding, since the type of foods street vendors sold weren’t exactly healthy, nor considered ‘dinner.’ They were more of a snack.
 
She hesitated, “Shinbi, isn’t there anything else you’d like to eat? I can order tteokbokki or black bean noodles for delivery at home…”
 
“No, I want to go out,” she insisted. “Please unnie? We never go out to eat.” Her eyes rounded as she pouted sadly.
 
“Err…” Yura was at a loss for what to do, but the pitiful look on Shinbi’s face made her waver. Suddenly, a lightbulb went off in Shinbi’s head as she perked up and ran to dig through her schoolbag.
 
Before Yura could ask her what she was doing, Shinbi pulled out two papers and ran back to her sister, practically shoving them in her face. “Look!”
 
“Are these… tests?” Yura’s lips formed an ‘o’ as she looked through the perfect scores. In admiration, she turned to Shinbi, “Bibi, this is great! Awesome job!”
 
“Hehe,” Shinbi let out a giggle as Yura praised her. “So… because I did a good job on my tests, can’t we go to get street food? Pretty pleeaaase?” She clasped her tiny hands together in desperate plea.
 
Finally, as Yura’s gaze flickered from the tests to Shinbi’s worried face, she let out a small laugh. Yeah, what’s so important about having street food or not? It’s not even expensive, and she’s making such a fuss about it.
 
“Alright, alright. Let’s go get dressed.” Yura gave in, earning a huge hug from her little sister.
 
*
 
“Man, it’s been a while since I’ve had street food,” Yura patted her stomach, “I’m stuffed.”
 
They were the sole individuals at the stand, and the older lady in charge of it kindly smiled at the both of them, “Would you like some more, child?”
 
“No thank you, it was really delicious though.” Yura politely rejected.
 
Shinbi happily munched on her last fish cake skewer. The prices were fairly cheap of course, and they both had had their fill.
 
“When was the last time you had street food, unnie?” Shinbi questioned, sauce all over the corners of .
 
Yura wiped the sauce off with a napkin before pulling back her hand and smiling hopelessly.  “Well, I used to eat it all the time when I was little. I remember I ate so many dumplings that I didn’t have the money to pay for it.” she sighed at the memory.
 
“Really? How did you pay then?” Shinbi tilted her head to the side.
 
“Well, dad—” Yura began, when the weight of her words dawned on her.
 
A glimpse of what seemed to be a fatherly face smiled down at her, long shadows casting over his profile.
 
Trembling ever so slightly, she instantly shut and forced a smile, “…I’m not sure, I was too young to remember everything that happened.”
 
Shinbi stared at her with her chocolate brown eyes for a long time.
 
“How much is the total, ahjumma?” Yura pulled out her wallet but the older lady waved it off. “No need.”
 
Yura exchanged surprised glances with Shinbi and glanced back at the lady.
 
“You two remind me so much of my children, and your little sister is so adorable. I can’t charge you for such a measly amount. This one’s on me.” The lady smiled amicably.
 
“Oh no, I can’t do that,” Yura dug through her bills, “Please take at least something—”
 
“It’s fine. If you really want to thank me, come visit again. Nobody really goes through these streets, so I’m grateful that you chose to eat here.” The lady replied wittily.
 
But I have to do at least something, she faltered before glancing at the woman’s bare hands. Calluses trailed down her cuticles as they looked worn out.
 
This won’t do, she thought before taking off her gloves and placing them on the countertop.
 
“I know it’s not much, but it’s cold outside, ahjumma. Wear these for now and I’ll be sure to come back for them again another day.” Yura patted the gloves.
 
“Oh no, no, I’m fine—” the lady tried to refute, but blinked as Yura bowed her head slightly, “We’ll see you again, ahjumma.”
 
“Thank you for the delicious food!” Shinbi sing-songed before toothily grinning and hurrying off to follow her sister.
 
“Oh dear…” The ahjumma murmured as she watched the two sisters run off.
 
Her wizened eyes glanced upon the gloves sitting in front of her, and they softened in fondness as she slipped the gloves on.
 
“My, how warm these are.” She smiled happily.
 
Working didn’t seem quite as hard anymore.
 
*
 
“That lady was nice,” Shinbi beamed. “We ate for free.”
 
“She sure was,” a corner of Yura’s lips hitched upwards. “It’s hard to find such motherly people like that nowadays.”
 
Shinbi quieted down as they walked hand-in-hand down the roads in silence. They passed by a brightly lit store when Shinbi suddenly stopped walking.
 
Yura glanced back at Shinbi, who stood immobile. “What’s wrong?”
 
“Unnie, can I ask for one last treat for the night? Then I promise I won’t ask for anything else.”
 
“What is it?” she raised an eyebrow suspiciously.
 
Shinbi grinned widely and pointed at the store they had just passed. The sign read: Saccharine Ice Cream Shoppe in cute script.
 
In confusion, Yura studied the shop. It was a hidden, cozy ice cream shop with a colourful motif. No customers seemed to be inside aside from two friends, tucked away in a corner. She was sure that it was closed, but her thoughts dissipated into thin air as soon as the ‘open’ sign flashed brightly, as if coaxing her to come in.
 
“Ice cream? Even when it’s this chilly outside?” Yura was apprehensive.
 
“It’s never too cold for ice cream,” Shinbi mischievously smiled up at her sister.
 
Yura thought long and hard about it until she let out a resigned sigh, “All right, you deserve a treat for doing so well on your tests.” She ruffled Shinbi’s hair as she pumped her fists in excitement, “Oh yeah!”
 
“Careful now,” Yura opened the door for her, and Shinbi hopped inside the small, warm shop.
 
The large selection of ice cream flavours shown in the display cases captivated Shinbi’s attention. It seemed comfortable enough, with soft music playing in the background. The decorations, tables, and furniture seemed to have a retro theme to it. An odd sense of peace washed over her when she suddenly heard muffled voices from a door left ajar.
 
“Wow, look at all the ice cream!” Shinbi ogled as tried to choose one she wanted. Yura looked around in surprise, “I never knew an ice cream parlour like this was here.”
 
Yura curiously peered at the brightly coloured treats when she caught sight of a particular choice on the menu. “Hey Bibi, let’s share a banana split.”
 
“No, I want my own ice cream,” Shinbi declared.
 
“Aw, don’t be stingy. Come on, share with me. I can’t eat it all by myself.”
 
“No~!”
 
A murmur from the back counters
 
“’Oi, I think a customer’s here.”
 
“You get it this time, I got the other one.”
 
“No, you get it, you lazy bum!”
 
“Forget it, I’ll go,” the worker cleared the small curtain out of his eyes as he flashed a courteous smile, “Welcome, may I take your or—huh?
 
The Han sisters’ eyes both flitted up to face the person behind the counter, who recognized them before they recognized him. There, with an ice cream scoop ready in hand, stood—
 
Jungkook oppa!” Shinbi yelped.
 
“What the—Shinbi! Yura?!” Jungkook’s face quickly turned red, much to Yura’s surprise. It wasn’t easy for Jungkook to lose his cool.
 
Yura studied his appearance. Jungkook wore a classic striped pink and white bowtie, a black apron draped around his waist, and a white dress shirt with a nametag neatly pinned onto his chest.
 
But that wasn’t all. His previously wine-red hair was a shiny shade of jet black that fell lightly over his forehead.
 
From inside the staff room, a worried voice called out, “Hey, Jungkook? Everything all right?”
 
“Everything’s... swell,” he called back unsurely as Shinbi jumped up and down to see him better in his work attire, “Cool bowtie!”
 
“Well, well. Jeon Jungkook," a teasing smirk crept onto Yura's lips, "The ice cream man?”
 
Unable to respond, Jungkook could only flush as pink as his bowtie.
 
_____________________
Hello everyone!
Today is my 6th anniversary since I've been an author on AFF! (whoo!)
I originally wanted to update sooner (due to my exams), but I figured it was close to my anniversary anyway and I wanted to give a big gift to those of you waiting for updates on this meaningful day. Which is why I've provided an update for this fic as well as a new special surprise!
While writing this story, my mind wandered and I've begun to write another story, featuring none other than... well, you'll have to see for yourself. I'll post the link for people who'd like to check it out! The prologue's out too as a teaser.
I probably won't be posting up anything there until I'm done with The Outcast Club, but please keep an eye on it if I end up changing my mind and start updating it! (Super excited about this!!!)
Thank you to all of my muzicians who have been with me the past 6 years and counting. I owe it all up to you guys!
Enjoy the update and the new fic!
-muzikmaster.