Maddening, Merciless Mondays

The Outcast Club
Big Bird - hyukoh
 
A/N: who loves hyukoh? *raises hand: MEEEE!*
--------------
 
Monday didn’t exactly start off on a calm and peaceful note.
 
The Hanyang High students were riled up with hot new gossip that ignited the school like wildfire. Be it incessant twittering or whispered hushes – any gossip slowly began to snap Yura’s nerves, one by one.
 
It didn’t take a genius to know that the notorious Eleven Party crashers – Jungkook and Yura –had created headlines throughout the student population. Seeing both Yura and Haera appear at school the next day only confirmed the rumours.
 
The violent and stoic Han Yura had become the school try-hard’s bodyguard, babysitter, and ally – or so, the rumours claimed.
 
Without fail, Yura stuck by Haera like a threatening guardian, ready to strike at anyone who badmouthed her. Yura’s hawk eyes had been dead set on looking for Min Doyoon, and thankfully for him, she hadn’t seen him yet.
 
If she did, boy, she’d beat him to a finer pulp.
 
Unfortunately, this was also exactly what Haera had been worried about all along.
 
*
 
“So if you input the information to the quadratic formula, x will equal both a negative and a positive number, as you might recall from last year…”
 
Blah, blah, blah, was all that entered Haera’s ears. The delicate-looking female might have been physically present in Functions class, but her mind was already wandering off in La-La Land.
 
Sure, she was elated that Yura was her friend now – daresay, a prime candidate to be her best female friend – but she couldn’t help but feel as if she was dragging her down to the depths of damnation with her. Haera wasn’t stupid. She knew she was causing trouble for her and making her the centre of bad attention.
 
A frown took over her lips, but before she could sigh, something hit her on the back of the head.
 
Startled, Haera whipped her head around for the culprit. Who threw that?
 
From two seats behind, Yura raised an eyebrow at her.
 
Haera’s eyebrows pinched together in a sulk as Yura smirked and leaned her head against her palm, staring out the window.
 
Glancing around for the teacher’s gaze, Haera snatched up the note from the floor and carefully opened it, hiding it behind her opened math textbook.
 
Yura’s simple scrawl was narrowly engraved on the pages: ‘Stop sulking. P.S: Did Min Doyoon or any of the Three Vixens approach you today?’
 
Vixens? Oh, she means Hyeri, Mina, and Sera. Haera pressed her lips from giggling too much and drew a curved arrow that pointed to her cutely written response: ‘I’m not. And no to both of your questions. I haven’t even seen any of them at all.’
 
Secretly, she motioned for the bewildered students behind her to pass the note to Yura. Minutes later, she was hit by another balled-up note.
 
Seriously, can’t she just ask to hand it to me? Haera narrowed her eyes at Yura, who smirked all too coolly, and raised a casual hand, as if to say, ‘my bad!’
 
The note passing resumed again:
 
‘Good.’ Yura wrote. ‘If they do approach you, let me know.’
 
‘Why? So you can fight them, oh knight in shining armor?’ Haera sarcastically scrawled.
 
Yura silently chuckled at that. ‘Perhaps, if her Highness allows me to royally beat the living crap out of them.’
 
Haera snickered behind her textbook as she read Yura’s last note. Her heart warmed at the careful playfulness of the delinquent’s words – she knew that what she had written was of honest and friendly intentions. Fondly, she slipped the note in her blazer pocket for safekeeping.
 
A male with glasses in the seat row next to her suddenly eyed them, murmuring, “…See? I told you, they’re friends now.”
 
His seatmate excitedly peered over the many student heads and cooed appreciatively. “Dude, that’s a weird combination.”
 
Haera frowned in their direction. Instead of feeling down about it, she actually felt a little annoyed. You two are the weird combination, she silently fumed. Crossly, she shot the pair a secret glare.
 
“You have to admit, though…Han Yura does look a bit more approachable after becoming friends with Haera,” the glasses boy pointed out warily.
 
Now that made Haera pause. A secret smile filled her face. Yes, yes!
 
Before Haera could grin any wider, someone in the back row snorted. “She still looks murderous to me. Problem children never change.”
 
Just by that one comment, anger swelled up in Haera, replacing her usual timid silence with heart-thumping frustration.
 
Judging before you even know someone… Why I oughta…! Haera gritted her teeth in annoyance before slamming her palms against the table, eyes locked on the kid in the back row.
 
The student almost jumped back at the sudden vehemence in Haera’s eyes when all too soon, she became aware of what she was doing.
 
“Miss Shin Haera? Do you have a… problem with my lesson that you’d like to share?” The Functions teacher drew his eyebrows together in mild irritation.
 
“N-No! Please carry on,” she squeaked before embarrassedly slinking down into her seat. Yura watched in amusement before spacing out again, wishing that she was somewhere else, but definitely not in another Functions class.
 
“She just glared at me, didn’t she?! She looked like she wanted to kill me!” The backseat boy whispered in a panicked tone of voice.
 
“It seems like Shin Haera’s inheriting some vicious traits from her new friend,” said another, and Haera had to force herself back into her seat to prevent her from pouncing on the kid.
 
*
 
“So? How was class… or should I say your irritation levels?” Yura amusedly questioned while sitting on top of the desk beside Haera’s, legs kicked up.
 
Haera sighed as she put her things away in her bag. “Don’t even mention it, please. I couldn’t even focus on the lesson after hearing the whispers of those students at the back.”
 
Yura blinked her eyes, surprised by Haera’s hostile and impatient tone.
 
“Wow, maybe I really am a bad person to hang around, considering the fact that my short temper seems to be rubbing off on you.”
 
At once, Haera stopped and whirled around, making her red plaid skirt twirl. She huffed in childish annoyance, “Oh sure, and then maybe I should agree with the whole school’s words, and find a more ‘suitable’ friend for myself, just to fit in, like I always do—“
 
“Hey, hey, hey,” Yura put her hands up in defense, “That’s not what I meant.”
 
Haera’s mouth snapped shut before letting out a quiet sigh.
 
“It’s just… I don’t like what they’ve been saying about you. How you’re a bad influence and all. You don’t deserve any of it, Yura.” Her downcast eyes were nervously pinned on the floor.
 
Yura’s eyes softened when she suddenly caught notice of two people through the door. She mussed Haera’s long hair, which was straight today, and urged her along. “Come on, I think there’s something outside that might make you feel better.”
 
In a flash, Haera was dragged out of the classroom with question marks in her eyes. Her confusion quickly dissolved, however, when she noticed two very familiar individuals leaning beside the classroom door, as if waiting for her.
 
“You sure do take your time, you two.” A slightly miffed voice hummed.
 
Yura just spotted a tuft of pink hair on a wheelchair when Haera suddenly gasped. “Y-Yoongi! Namjoon!” She watched as Haera hurried over to them and hugged them easily. Rapmon seemed relieved after holding her in his arms and received the hug gladly. Suga, on the other hand, grimaced in embarrassment at the touch, but the affection in his eyes for her was evident.
 
 “How did you two get here?! I thought the senior trip was supposed to last three days!” Haera exclaimed, eyes darting from the amused Yura to the calm boys.
 
“We both thought about what you said, you know, to believe that you were okay, but we were extremely worried. We ended up asking to come back for a family emergency,” Rapmon explained.
 
“You mean you were worried. I knew Haera would be fine with Yura and Jungkook there.” Suga rubbed his eyes, “You’re the one who insisted we’d come to school, even though we just got back half an hour ago. And we did an all-nighter driving home, too…”
 
“Oh, stop trying to cover up your worry, Yoongi. You’re not fooling me – you were every bit as insistent to come home as I was,” Rapmon sternly frowned before turning to Haera. “And you – I almost had a heart attack when I got a call from Jungkook saying that you went to the Eleven party by yourself!”
 
Haera’s face automatically paled. “Jungkook told you that?”
 
“He didn’t want to tell me anything, but I forced him to,” Rapmon pursed his lips, “But honestly, Shin Haera, what were you thinking? How could you go there, knowing fully well that I’ve told you about those parties? Did you know that police end up visiting that party every year for illegal activities? It’s always the talk of the student council!” His nagging seemed endless, and with every word, Haera seemed to grow more and more silent, because in reality, his words weren’t wrong.
 
“’Oi, Namjoon, calm down.” Suga finally hissed, “Everyone’s starting to stare.”
 
“I warned her, though! Haera could have gotten even more hurt!” Rapmon looked extremely anxious and frustrated.
 
“It wasn’t her fault. She was pressured to go for my safety.” Yura stepped in.
 
Rapmon faltered, and Suga blinked in bafflement. “What… do you mean?”
 
“Min Doyoon threatened me to go,” Haera replied. “If I didn’t go, or told someone about his threats, him and his friends would physically attack Yura.”
 
“What the hell?” Suga growled in a low voice so he didn’t attract further attention, “That prissy kid in Jimin’s music class said that?”
 
When Haera nodded and Yura curtly followed, Suga’s jaw was set. “How did he threaten you?”
 
“He texted me. I have it saved in my phone, still.” Haera quietly responded, making even Yura stare at her, stunned. She never knew that Haera had evidence.
 
“Good. You’re on spare next, right?” He questioned again. When Haera nodded again, Suga gave her a look, “Come with me to the club room. He’s not going to get off with a light punishment.”
 
With a deadly glare, Suga wheeled off, with Haera having no choice but to follow in disdain. She sadly waved at Yura and mouthed a ‘sorry’ before she made a phone sign, telling her that she’d call her later.
 
Yura didn’t mind, but rather looked puzzled. “What’s he gonna do?” She asked Rapmon.
 
The latter shook his head with a sigh, “His parents are police officers. Most likely, he’s going to file a blackmail report against him, and do something about that other bastard who attempted to attack her, if he can find him.”
 
Remind me never to get him pissed off, Yura thought in shock. Rapmon, meanwhile, slowly swallowed.
 
“…I was being too harsh on Haera, wasn’t I?”
 
Yura pondered over that for a while before honestly replying. “I wouldn’t think too much of it. She knows you were just worried for her.”
 
“…Really?” Rapmon questioned – his short-cut, once-bleached hair was slowly browning at the roots, making him look twice as exasperated.
 
“Of course. She speaks so highly of you two.” Yura thought about Haera’s close bond with the duo. “I’m sure she doesn’t blame you for lashing out. She trusts you both.” She lightly hit him on the arm in a casual manner. While hoping she wasn’t being too awkward, the bell suddenly rang, signalling the start of the next period.
 
“Oh, . I better start going,” Yura jammed a hand into her pocket. “Just try not to worry too much with Haera, sunbae – she’s feeling a bit insecure with all the gossiping, but she’s a lot stronger than she looks.” She nodded at him and turned to go.
 
All of a sudden, Rapmon called out to her. “Yura.”
 
Yura paused and glanced behind her, waiting for his reply. “Yeah?”
 
“I didn’t get a chance to say this, but… thank you. From me and Yoongi, both.” Genuineness was evident in his dark eyes.
 
Yura didn’t notice it herself, but the corners of her lips lifted into a gentle smile that threw Rapmon off completely.
 
“You don’t have to thank me. Be it Haera, you, Jungkook or Jimin - we're all friends now, aren't we?”
 
Before he could utter anything else, both Yura and her mysterious smile slipped through the swarming clusters of students and disappeared from sight.
 

_________________

BEFORE YOU PELT ME WITH TOMATOES:
hello. xD it's been a while, hasn't it? I'm so excited to be able to finally post a chapter up!
I was reaaaaally looking forward to updating a ton over the summer break and I would like to apologize for posting on twitter that I would update and then I never getting a chance to. I felt really guilty after I realized I wouldn't be able to each time, and I felt like I was letting you all down! T___T
 
Unfortunately a lot of things happened over the summer that I will not mention - let's just say there were some friends & family drama, unnecessary stress, and just a buttload of day to day exhaustion. I don't think I even got time to sit down simply to work on updates because I was so time-consumed. I really hope you all understand and instead of saying sorry for making you wait, I will say THANK YOU from now on, because I've been reading all your comments (every single one of them) when I feel unmotivated and I get a big smile on my face each time I hear that you guys feel inspired, laugh, or feel relaxed when reading this fic! So don't you all worry - I haven't abandoned this story! I will finish it!
 
Originally today's chapter was supposed to be a double update, but as school has been starting up again, there's a quarter of the next update that I wasn't able to finish typing today. I already tweeted that I would update for sure today, so I figured one chapter would be better than none! More updates are on the way, and even though I may be busier than ever this school year, I will be SO grateful if you continue to support and encourage me even though I may not be able to update as much as I would like to! :)
 
Also, please ignore any grammatical errors in this chap - I didn't get to read it over since I wanted to post it up first, so I'll do that later! I did fix some minor details in previous chapters and added in new scenes so feel free to check those out if you need a story refresher!!
 
Thank you all SO much and love you lots! I will try to update you guys on how my schedule is and hopefully I'll be back with another update sooner than you think! ;) Muuuah!
 
Hint for people who cared to read this far: The next chap will have some V moments, so stay tuned! ;D
and THANK YOU to everyone who subscribed!! while I was away, I reached 20,000+ subs!!!! All of you made it possible, so THANK YOU AGAIN<3
 
(By the way, that bangtan prologue video though. I was crying so much omg so excited!!!! Jungkooooook<3)
 
-muzikmaster.