A Sleepover Under Circumstances

The Outcast Club
Hold Me Tight (feat. Crush) - Loco
 
 
---------------------
 
“I never knew you lived in an apartment.” Jungkook ogled at the hallways. “It’s not too far from my house, either.” From the corner of her eye, Haera nodded slowly in slight awe.
 
Slightly red-faced, Yura spun around with an annoyed look, and Jungkook skidded to a stop before he could crash into her.
 
“Why are you even here, anyway? Nobody invited you.”
 
The wine-haired male sniffled sadly. “That hurts, you know… but you can’t get rid of me that easily.” His lips overturned into a devious smirk. “How could I possibly turn around and leave now, when I’m this close to knowing where you live?”
 
“Stalker,” she quipped as they neared the second-last door down the hall.
 
Haera looked around at the both of them and her heart grew slightly warm. It felt good to have her friends joking around her, and it distracted her from the traumatic events that took place a few hours before.
 
Yura knocked impatiently at the door, and at once, it swung open to reveal Ken, with his tousled brown hair and foolish grin. “Yura! You're late—oh?” His eyes widened at once upon seeing the two unknown guests.
 
“My...” she glanced at Haera, who timidly blinked back. “...friend ran into an emergency and needed a place to crash for the night. Is it okay if she stays?”
 
Haera burned with glee at the new term while Ken was taken aback. “F-Friend? I mean, s-sure, but--”
 
“Hello, hyungnim! My name is Jeon Jungkook, pleasure to meet you!” Jungkook suddenly bowed, making Yura smack her palm over her eyes and Ken gawk in disbelief. “I’m Yura’s good friend!”
 
“Another… friend?” Ken blinked rapidly, as if they had just announced that Yura had won the Nobel Peace Prize.
 
Yura’s ears burned in disbelief as she elbowed him in the chest. Jungkook smiled charmingly. “Not to worry, hyungnim, I’m not the one staying over tonight.”
 
“Oh, I see, haha… Um, will you excuse me for a minute?” Ken squeaked, unsure of how to react. “B-BIBI! U-Unnie brought along some new f-f-fr--companions!”
 
Oh God, Yura shut her eyes in humiliation.
 
A flurry of pattering footsteps padded down the apartment as Shinbi poked her head in. “Unnie brought who? Where?” When she got one good look at Jungkook, a gasp emitted from her small lips. “Jungkook oppa!”
 
“Hey, cutie. Long time no see,” his eyes curved into smiling crescent moons, changing his cold, silent aura to a warm one.
 
Ken stared at Shinbi in shock. “Bi, you know them?”
 
“I know Jungkook oppa…” she said shyly, “But I’ve never seen this unnie before…” Shinbi eyed Haera in wonder. She’s really pretty…
 
“A-Ah! U-Um,” Haera grew anxious and quickly bowed, “I’m sorry for not introducing myself. I’m Shin Haera, Yura’s f-friend…” she continued cautiously when Yura didn’t react, “Sorry for just coming without being invited…”
 
Ken’s gaze pinned onto Haera’s dishevelled, fragile state, and warmly smiled, instead, showing off his pearly white teeth. “No worries, I was just caught by surprise because Yura hasn’t brought many friends over… Besides, you must have your reasons. You’re more than welcome to stay over.” 
 
Haera bowed again in gratitude as Yura turned to Jungkook, who lingered behind them. “Don’t you have to go home? Like, now?”
 
“Yura,” Ken murmured with a slightly disapproving tone.
 
“Oh, that’s all right. I’m already used to her blunt way of talking,” he waved it off, “I’ll be going now.”
 
“Oh, no, why don’t you come in for a cup of tea?” Ken offered.
 
Yura almost snorted. The guy probably knocked out a bunch of kids at a party and Jaehwan’s inviting him in for a pleasant cup of tea?
 
“That offer sounds tempting, but I’m afraid I’ll have to take a rain check.” Ken and Shinbi watched intently as Jungkook dared to ruffle Yura’s hair. “Thanks for helping her out, Yura.”
 
Yura just growled and said nothing more, to their shock. Ken gawped at their close interaction.
 
Jungkook retracted his hand and flipped his bangs, holding a hand out, “And thank you, hyungnim, for the offer. Sorry I can’t take you up on it this time, but maybe in the future.”
 
“N-No worries…” Ken’s voice trailed off.
 
“And finally, you,” he eyed Haera sternly. “Be good.” His gaze slightly softened as he patted her arm and whispered quietly. “Feel better, okay?” It wasn’t your fault, he silently thought to himself.
 
Haera’s gaze was pinned to the ground as she nodded ever-so slightly. After waving to Shinbi and bowing again, Jungkook was gone.
 
It was silent until Haera timidly spoke. “…I’m really sorry about all the trouble.”
 
“Oh no, no, no trouble at all, really.” Ken broke out of his trance and ushered her in. “I’m actually leaving for work right about now, so unfortunately we won’t get to talk much. Where did you and Yura meet again, out of curiosity?”
 
Haera was about to speak, but Yura spoke instead.
 
“Both of them are members of HFC,” she supplied. Ken looked more at ease, “Ah, that Help-a-Friend Club? Yura doesn’t talk enough about it.”
 
Haera meekly attempted a smile as Yura eyed her ripped, dirty clothes.
 
“You must be uncomfortable.”
 
“E-Eh?” Haera tilted her head.
 
“You can get changed in the room that Shinbi and I share. Shorts and shirts are in the second dresser drawer – just put on anything you want from there.” she nodded at their room door.
 
Haera flushed and tried to cover herself up again, but Yura practically shoved her towards the room. “Go.”
 
“U-Um! Thank you for your kindness. It was nice meeting you.” Haera stuttered as she bowed again out of respect. Ken assured her with another smile as she hurried into their room.
 
As soon as the door clicked shut, Ken’s gaze darkened. Yura eyed him as he lowered his voice into an inaudible murmur.
 
“…Were those… hickeys on her neck?” when Yura didn’t reply, his eyebrows furrowed. “What happened?”
 
“Someone forced herself on her,” Yura whispered so quietly that Shinbi couldn’t hear. “Jungkook and I went to go help.”
 
Ken looked grave as his eyes were empathetic, “Poor thing. She must be traumatized. Take care of those for her. Do I need to file a police report?”
 
Yura recalled Jungkook’s murderous gaze at the party before he forced them to leave the place at once and quickly shook her head. “…I think the guy already got the beating of a lifetime to not try anything again.”
 
Ken quickly turned her body this way and that. “And how about you? Are you hurt?”
 
“Not even a scratch. We fled before they could lay another hand on her,” she proudly proclaimed as Ken gave her a look and ruffled her hair with his large hand. “Good thing that Jungwook kid was there.”
 
Yura chortled. “It’s Jungkook.”
 
The ends of Ken’s lips curved up into a teasing grin. “Of course you would know. You two seemed awfully close…”
 
Yura’s lips slid off of her lips while Ken’s eyes widened in protest, “H-Hey, come on, Yuyu—”
 
The antisocial female pushed him out, “Go. Go slave at work with Hongbin oppa and leave.”
 
“Okay, I’m going, I’m going! Sheesh,” he tousled his beige-coloured hair with a huff, “Way to make me sound like a loser.”
 
Yura smirked as Ken called out: “Bye Bibi!” he turned to Yura and hit her arm lightly with his. “Have fun with your sleepover.”
 
With a ‘ha-ha, you’re funny’ look, Yura shut the door in his face.
 
*
 
Clad in one of Ken’s baggy old t-shirts and boy shorts, Yura easily set down some blankets and pillows in the living room, next to the sofas. It was their make-shift bed for the night, as Haera insisted to sleep in the same vicinity as them.
 
“Go, Sailor Moon!” Shinbi cried as Yura’s eyes flickered up to see Shinbi glued to the TV screen. These days, she had gotten into Yura’s old DVDs of Sailor Moon, and she was obsessed with the show.
 
In amusement, Yura watched as the blonde, bun-haired heroine transformed into her superhero attire, and Shinbi instantly jumped off of the couch, twirling around like the cartoon character herself. “Moon Prism Power!”
 
Yura laughed to herself as she set down the pillows and Shinbi struck a pose. “In the name of the moon, I shall punish you! HAI-YA!” she swung around the TV remote like a magic wand.
 
In one swift movement, the remote was pulled out of her hands. The tiny ‘superhero’ looked up to see Yura peering down at her with the remote in her hand. “All right, I think that’s enough Sailor Moon for one day.” I’ve heard enough ‘Moon Prism Power’s to last a lifetime.
 
“Aww,” Shinbi sulked. Yura smiled and ruffled her head. “I cut up some fruits in the kitchen and set down a glass of milk. Go have that, instead.”
 
Shinbi pouted in her ruffled, pink pajamas with moons printed on them, which were obviously bought out of her newfound love for a certain blonde, ponytailed superheroine. “Please, can I just finish watching until I finish my snack? Then I’ll go straight to sleep!” she insisted.
 
Yura couldn’t say no to her innocent pleas and gave in, handing her back the remote. “Fine, but only until then. I don’t want you bothering our guest.”
 
“Yay!” Shinbi quickly hugged her leg and pecked the side of it. “Thank you, unnie!” she beamed giddily and hobbled off to eat her snacks.
 
Yura smiled slightly before looking at the time. It was getting late, and Haera hadn’t come out from her room yet. I should tell her it’s time for bed, Yura thought before approaching the door. She reached out her hand to knock when she heard Haera quietly talking to someone on the phone inside.
 
Yura faltered when she heard Suga’s voice on speakerphone.
 
“—hold on, let me get Namjoon here too.”
 
“Yoongi, I’m telling you, I’m fine—” Haera paused when Rapmon’s voice was heard, frazzled.
 
“Haera, I heard you’re at Yura’s house. Jungkook called and told me that you were bullied again. What happened? Are you hurt?”
 
“Yura and Jungkook were there with me. Nothing happened.”
 
“Even if you say nothing happened…” Yura heard Rapmon sigh. Even though his words were calm, she could hear the rising anxiety in his voice. “Haera, I can tell when you’re not telling me the truth. This won't do - Yoongi, tell the teacher we’re going back home. Pack your stuff—”
 
No, Namjoon.” Haera said with such firmness that mildly startled even Yura. There was a moment of silence as Haera replied, “You’re on a school trip for a reason. Just enjoy it, and don’t come rushing back just because of me, like last time.”
 
Yura leaned against the doorframe and silently wondered what Haera’s expression was as she said that.
 
“I know I always rely on you guys, and to be honest, I…” she shook her head, “…I don’t want to rely on you too much and ruin your trip. But really, I’m okay, because today, I found another person that’s willing to help me.”
 
A think blanket of silence covered the air as Yura's gaze softened.
 
“Just... Call us if you need anything.” Namjoon murmured pensively. “You know you can always rely on us, Haera.”
 
“I know. I will,” her tone of voice was significantly warmer.
 
“And one last thing – be sure to thank Yura and her family. We owe her one.”
 
A small, natural smile climbed up on Yura’s lips as she raised a hand and knocked on the door. Yura could hear Haera quickly saying her goodbyes and hurrying to the door as she poked her head out.
 
“Is it time for bed already? Sorry I didn’t come out sooner!” Haera impishly smiled as Yura tried to look indifferent. “It’s fine.”
 
Haera’s eyes widened in slight surprise as Yura guided her to the neatly folded blankets, “You can sleep on the sofa—”
 
Instantly, Haera buried herself in the blankets on the hard ground and beamed, “I can sleep here!”
 
Yura blinked quickly and lightly nudged her with the heel of her foot. “Sleep on the couch. It’s more comfortable.”
 
Haera poked her eyes out of the plush blanket and grinned, making them curve into crescents, “It's okay, you two can sleep there. I can sleep on the floor.”
 
But her back is gonna hurt… Yura scratched the back of her head as Haera rolled onto her stomach, resting her head on her palms, “It’s so cozy here. Now it really feels like a sleepover.”
 
Yura’s gaze softened for the second time as Haera let out a sigh of content. They were so wrapped in their own worlds that they didn’t notice the toddling of tiny feet.
 
“Say, unnie, did you get a boo-boo?”
 
Shinbi was crouched down next to Haera as she tilted her head. Her doe eyes traced the purplish hickeys on her neck in cautious curiosity. Haera flinched in embarrassment as Yura instantly panicked.
 
But instead of questioning further, Shinbi straightened up with a childish giggle. “Here. A strawberry will make it better,” she claimed as she held out one for her. “Say ahh.”
 
Yura shook her head with a sigh as Haera awkwardly parted her lips. “A-Ahh—MMPF!” In a fluid movement, the strawberry was shoved into . Shinbi beamed and patted her hair with her pudgy hand, “There, there. Do you want to watch Sailor Moon with me?”
 
Haera blinked in surprise at the audacious little girl and glanced behind her, just noticing that the show had been playing. Shinbi plopped herself beside her on the floor as a lightbulb went off in Yura’s head.
 
“Shinbi, wait here with Haera for a sec.”
 
“Huh? Yura, where are you going?” Haera anxiously flitted her eyes from Haera to Shinbi. The little kid comfortingly patted her shoulder, “Don’t worry, unnie’s just getting someone who can cure your ouchies.”
 
“O-Ouchies?” Haera’s lips formed a delicate ‘o’.
 
*
 
Five minutes later, Yoomi, or Ms. Jung, came with Yura, holding her trusty first aid kit with a hard look. “Where is she?”
 
From inside the living room, Haera blinked. Whose voice is that?
 
Shinbi perked up, “Unnie’s here!” Haera furrowed her brows, “Unnie?”
 
“In the living room,” Haera heard Yura say.
 
“Shin Haera,” an older, more feminine voice called. Haera glanced up and gasped, “S-Ssem! B-But what…?”
 
“Unnie’s our neighbour!” Shinbi giggled as Yoomi plunked down and opened her kit, sorting through the knick-knacks. Yura followed suit and Shinbi hopped into her lap as they both watched Yoomi do her job. Haera was still frazzled, but the elder female went straight to work.
 
“Ah!” Haera winced as Yoomi rubbed pain reliever cream into the bruises on her frail arms.
 
“Yoomi unnie, be more gentle,” Shinbi scolded. Yoomi blew at the red bangs of her bob as she treated the cuts on her arm.
 
“I can’t. The more the cream stings, the better it’ll work.” Yoomi noted with a frown.
 
“It burns,” Haera bit her lip with another wince.
 
Yoomi straightened up with a reprimanding look. “Well? Who told you to go that party in the first place, huh?”
 
Haera was at a loss for words when Yoomi sighed, “Yura told me. She refused to tell me the details, though. She just said someone hurt you.”
 
“I…” Haera wasn’t sure how to reply to her under the stares of both Yura and Shinbi.
 
“Even I’ve heard of the Eleven party, and I know for a fact that it’s never good news.” Haera bit her lip in shame and felt her body deflate.
 
Tactfully, Yura lightly touched Yoomi’s shoulder, “Unnie, come on, you’ve already scolded her enough—“
 
“And YOU!” Yoomi’s eyes flashed with fire. Yura gulped and almost fell back if her hands hadn’t steadied her.
 
“I understand why you’d want to follow her, but what would you have done if Jungkook hadn’t been there?!” Yoomi scolded.
 
Despite herself, Yura scoffed. “Jungkook? Please, unnie, I’m capable of taking care of myself.”
 
“You’re still a girl, Yura!” Yoomi rubbed her temples and sighed. “It infuriates me that you think you can recklessly face off against anyone with just a little bit of martial arts lessons as a child and a dash of luck!”
 
Yura bit her tongue from saying anything else.
 
“NO FIGHTING!” Shinbi suddenly wailed. All three females froze to stare at the quivering little girl.
 
A tense silence filled the atmosphere as Yoomi and Yura shared a wary look.
 
“Oh, Shinbi, we weren’t fighting.” Yoomi assured. “I was just… a little… upset because I was worried for the both of them.”
 
Shinbi didn’t believe her and sulked as she buried her face in Yura’s chest. Yura’s expression went grave as she scooped Shinbi in her arms and stood up, “…I think she’s just tired. It’s way past her bedtime. Come on, Bibi, say good night to everyone.”
 
Shinbi didn’t say anything.
 
Han Shinbi,” Yura said a little more sternly.
 
“…Goodnight,” she stubbornly managed as she sniffled and buried her face into Yura’s shoulder.
 
“Sweet dreams, Bibi.” Yoomi sadly smiled as Haera timidly waved. “See you in the morning.”
 
When the two sisters disappeared into the room, Yoomi heaved a sigh. Haera silently watched, too scared to say anything to aggravate her.
 
“…Sorry, Haera.”
 
Haera’s gaze was pinned to the floor.
 
“It wasn’t your fault that you got hurt.” Yoomi closed her kit with a click.
 
“And it’s not Yura’s, either.” Haera lightly reminded. As Yoomi raised her head to stare at her, Haera’s gaze grew pensive, “She told me not to go, but I went anyway. She was just trying to help. She’s... always just trying to help.”
 
I know. I know it all too well. Yoomi parted her lips to voice her thoughts aloud, but nothing came out. Unable to say anything else, she simply handed the usually meek Haera a stick of concealer.
 
“For your bruises,” she informed, and with that, she got up and left.
 

_________________

Officially done exams! Thank you everyone for all your kind encouragement! :D

-muzikmaster.