Limits

The Outcast Club
Spine Breaker - BTS
 
WARNING: This chapter includes some cussing. Viewer discretion is advised (or is it reading discretion? xD)
 
*Sunbae: An upperclassman (person who is older than you by one or more grade(s), in this case)
*Hoobae: A lowerclassman (person younger than you by a grade/more grades)
--------------------
 
Brrrring!
 
As students bolted up and filed out of the room, Yura felt a warm wave of relief wash over her – thankfully, she wouldn’t have to endure more of Maestro Kang’s nags to pay attention to the most famous pieces of Bach.
 
At that precise moment, Doyoon slunk out with his friend Jaemyung in tow, laughing uproariously at something. Yura paid no heed to the rat. When they left, Yura’s eyes flickered over to Jimin, who quietly packed his books away.
 
Exhaling, Yura stood up, slinging her bag over her shoulders. Jimin glanced up at her with round eyes, surprised that she seemed to be waiting for him.
 
Slightly embarrassed, Yura looked away in haste before exiting the classroom, “…Hurry up.”
 
The boy quickly followed and matched her pace, bowing to Maestro Kang as he left.
 
Yura’s long fingers raked through her fluffy hair as she walked in awkward strides. She could feel Jimin’s presence beside her, but didn’t know what to say or do. She pondered over something to talk about, when suddenly, Jimin handed her a handful of peppermint candies.
 
It was one of those cheap ones that were usually given out at restaurants when you paid the bill. Faltering in confusion, Yura stopped in her tracks in the middle of the hallway, ignoring the kids around her.
 
Her eyes traced from the candy in the outstretched hand before finally landing on Jimin’s shy face. “…I know they’re cheap and small and insignificant compared to what you did for me, but I wanted to show my thanks with something small at least. Sorry… This was all I had,” he perked up suddenly, “I-I have more in my bag if you want!”
 
It took Yura a few seconds to process that he was thanking her for standing up for him. The surprise in her eyes softened to an amused look as she raised an eyebrow at the boy – a smile threatening to overtake her lips at the sheer oddness of it all, “Are you some sort of peppermint drug dealer?” she smirked and plucked one out of his palm, “Why in the world do you have so many?”
 
Jimin relaxed a bit, seeing the warmness in Yura’s eyes, and straightened up sheepishly. “My parents run a small family café.”
 
In curiosity, Yura squinted at the tiny writing on the package of the candy. In tiny lettering, it read: Alice Café.
 
“Sometimes they get me to advertise it. Our café – I mean.”
 
“By handing out free candies?” Yura teased.
 
Jimin flushed pink, “…Stupid, isn’t it?”
 
The smile that threatened to control Yura’s lips finally took over as she grinned.
 
“Keep the rest, one is good enough for me,” she easily tore the plastic open and popped one in , savouring the minty-sweet taste. “Treat me to a latte one day and we’ll call it even?”
 
At the sound of that, Jimin’s eyes curved up into small crescent moons, “Sure.”
 
Upon seeing the way his eyes crinkled up at the corners when he smiled, a small, warm flutter tickled the pit of Yura’s stomach, instinctively forcing the corners of her lips to surge upwards, too. What a cute kid.
 
“CANDY!” a sweet voice called out suddenly; startling both of them and snapping them out of their happy trance, “Gimme it! Gimme it!”
 
A tiny figure lunged on Jimin, throwing him off balance. His eyes bulged out of his sockets as he let out a sharp yelp. On pure instinct, Yura’s hand shot out to grab him from landing flat on his nose.
 
Jimin let out a large sigh of relief as Yura pointedly frowned at the perpetrator. Shin Haera stood there, caught red-handed, with her large doe eyes in shame.
 
Before the delinquent could say anything to her, the now-irritated Jimin peered down at the guilty female. Upon realizing that the girl was Haera, he simply shook his head with a smile, all the pent-up shock and annoyance draining from his face.
 
With a hopeless grin, he placed a candy in her hand, “You only get one.”
 
Haera blinked – showing off her long eyelashes dusted with mascara – and jutted out her glossy lips in a pout, “Stingy.”
 
“If I give you more, Namjoon hyung will literally kill me.”
 
“I don’t eat that much candy,” Haera refuted, but eventually let it go, popping it into with a happy beam, “Ahh, the sweet taste of sugar.”
 
Yura was baffled with his nonchalant reaction. In a way, she was curious as to why Rapmon would quote-unquote, “kill” Jimin for giving the kid more than one candy. However, she was more surprised at how quickly Jimin had forgiven her for purposely knocking him over – especially because of his amputated leg.
 
While Yura was thinking this, Haera’s almond eyes flickered over to her and she instantly straightened up a bit. Despite herself, she let out a cheeky grin and waved childishly, “Hi, Yura!”
 
Yura quietly nodded in greeting.
 
“Hey, isn’t that Jungkook?” Jimin suddenly noted from beside her, making Yura’s thoughts about Haera falter. Jimin put a hand just under his eyebrows in an exaggerated attempt to see farther, “Who’s that clinging onto him?”
 
Haera swirled the peppermint around , making a faint clicking noise as it rattled behind her soft lips. She drew her eyebrows together, “Only one way to find out!” In a flash, Haera was prancing down the hallway towards the familiar boys.
 
Yura tilted her head, miffed by Haera’s constant optimism and energy. Jimin chuckled at her expression as they trailed behind her.
 
“Yo,” Jimin announced their arrival as everyone looked up.
 
Suga was the first to react – he gawped in mock shock from underneath his brown bangs. “Wow, what an unlikely pair.”
 
“Oh, save it, Yoongi hyung.” Jimin made a face at the elder as Suga smirked, “Did you two play hooky together or something?”
 
“Actually, we came from music class.”
 
“What good students.” Suga exclaimed mockingly. “Yeah, unlike you,” Jimin retorted.
 
“What?! Wanna fight?”
 
“Bring it on!”
 
Half-embarrassed by the childish banters, Yura uncomfortably looked away. Paying no attention to the bickering, the other boys welcomed her warmly. Jungkook widely grinned at her, but Yura wasn't easily impressed. From behind him, V was clinging onto his shoulder. He gave her a meek nod as Yura nodded back.
 
J-Hope raised a hand with an amicable smile, “Hey, welcome!”
 
Yura’s gaze was pleasant but her body language was still cautious, “Hey.”
 
“What? Who came?  Is that you, Jimin?” Jin’s glassy eyes searched around aimlessly with one hand on J-Hope’s shoulder for support, “He sounds more feminine than usual.”
 
J-Hope snickered at that, “No, hyung, that’s—“
 
“It’s Han Yura. Hi, sunbae,” Yura replied clearly. J-Hope blinked, taken aback by her abrupt response.
 
“Oh!” Jin paused in pleasant surprise, “Hi, Yura!” a radiant, grateful smile appeared on his plump lips as he patted J-Hope’s shoulder.
 
“Hoseok, did you hear that? I’m a sunbae!” he giddily whispered.
 
Yura’s sharp ears picked that up as she inwardly smiled. Jin seemed like an amusing person.
 
“Am I a sunbae, too?” Rapmon politely inquired. Yura’s gaze flickered to him as he smiled toothily. She softened at that and nodded, “Yep. Namjoon sunbae. Thanks for giving me an excuse to have skipped music class, by the way.”
 
Rapmon seemed pleased by the new term, “And whatever do you mean? I didn’t do anything.” He winked secretively, and Yura chuckled.
 
Jimin and Suga suddenly decided to put a halt on their bickering when Suga butted in, batting his eyelashes, “And me?”
 
Without hesitation, Yura rejected him flatly, “Not you.”
 
PUHAHAHA!” from those two cruel words, Suga’s expectant face fell. Both Jimin and J-Hope burst out into hysterical laughter. Now, there were fewer students aroun, so the boys’ snickers echoed down the halls.
 
Haera giggled and clapped her hands in excitement, “You were rejected, Yoongi!”
 
Suga huffed as Yura continued to stare at him, unfazed. He frowned disapprovingly, “Hey! I’m technically your sunbae, so why not?!”
 
“You tease us too much,” she replied curtly, “Perhaps in the future, I’ll reconsider calling you ‘sunbae’.”
 
“Ooo, be careful, Suga hyung,” Jungkook appreciatively cooed. “Han Yura sticks to her word.” At that, Yura peered at him through her warm brown eyes and let out a small snort.
 
“Not fair,” Haera declared, “I want to be called ‘sunbae’ by Yura, too!”
 
“Same!” Jungkook seconded that motion.
 
“Me too!” J-Hope added.
 
Yura grew mortified. They all act like they’re two years old! Still, she managed to compose her pretty facial features and nodded agreeably at J-Hope, “You’re a sunbae, but as for you two…” she turned to face Haera and Jungkook, “Nice try, but it’s not gonna happen if you’re in the same grade as me.”
 
“Phooey,” Haera pouted.
 
“Fine by me,” Jungkook shrugged, “Why be called ‘sunbae’ when you’ll be calling me ‘oppa’ soon?”
 
“Hold on, hold on, you don’t know if you’re older than her for sure,” Rapmon placated, a gentle look on his face, “Let’s not jump to conclusions now.”
 
Yura raised an eyebrow, “I doubt you’re older, even by a few months.”
 
Quiet V quickly scribbled something on a dry-erase marker board he always kept handy in his bag and held it up, “When were you born?”
 
“I was born in April.”
 
It was silent until Jungkook hung his head, “…Damn.”
 
 
J-Hope snickered and patted his shoulder, “Jeon Jungkook, meet your noona!”
 
“Yeah, right!” Jungkook snorted, “She’s only older than me by a few months. I ain’t calling her anything except her name.”
 
Everyone found Jungkook’s little fit funny; even Yura managed to crack a smile.
 
Suddenly, V tapped Jungkook’s shoulder and held up his marker board with a happy smile: “Don’t worry, Jungkook. You might be younger by a few months, but you’re still one of the tallest!”
 
Touched, Jungkook let out a rare beam, slung an arm around V, and dramatically sniffled, “Oh, V hyung, you’re the only one on my side!”
 
V happily beamed back at him, showing off his pearly white teeth.
 
 
As everyone playfully teased both of them, a sudden voice called out, “…bunch of fags.”
 
By the mention of that, everyone froze. Yura turned her attention towards three guys a few feet away from them. It didn’t seem like they were directly talking about them since the guys were looking away, but in Yura’s eyes, it was painfully obvious that they had been referring to Jungkook and V.
 
“Ignore them,” Rapmon murmured under his breath, “They’re talking about something else. Carry on.”
 
Jungkook tightened his fists when V quickly pulled away, ears red with shame and confusion.
 
“S-So, what’s everyone doing this weekend?” Jimin tried to divert their attention, but by now, the males’ hushed voices grew louder, as if they were doing it on purpose.
 
“...figures. They’ve got a bi with them.”
 
“Who? Oh, the blind one that looks like a tranny?”
 
From the corner of her sharp eye, Yura saw Jin flinch and swallow in anxiety.
 
“They all look like them, man,” one with an irritating laugh sniggered.
 
“Shh!”
 
“What? The blind one can’t see us anyway…”
 
“…Wouldn’t be surprised if the girls are lesbos too—“
 
SNAP. Yura’s ability to stay calm and rational snapped in two as she found herself already charging at the group of boys. In one clean sweep of her foot, one of the guys had tripped, landing straight on his knees.
 
Suga let out a loud snort of laughter despite himself.
 
“What the hell?!” the guy who got tripped growled as Yura swiftly grabbed a harsh, ruthless hold on his collar. The male’s eyes popped open as he winced.
 
“Say that one more ing time. I dare you,” she whispered in a calm voice, but her eyes were blazing – oozing pure fury.
 
From behind her, V’s jaw was slacked open. Rapmon was frantically darting around for any CCTV cameras or teachers, completely unsure of what to do, Suga was cracking up, J-Hope’s eyebrows shot up to the sky, Jimin was gaping, Haera was starstruck (but secretly rooting her on) and Jin listened intently for whatever he could hear of the conversation. He tried to ask Suga what was going on, but he had a feeling he knew the general idea of what was taking place.
 
Yura thought she heard a sigh behind her, but she wasn’t too sure – blood was rushing from her head and thumping in her ears from the anger, blocking out the background noises. She didn’t know why she was so… so angry, but at that moment, all she knew was that she wanted to give the three a good beating.
 
But before she could do anything, a hand gently pulled her back, “That’s enough, Yura.”
 
“Don’t touch—“ she hit the hand away, knowing full well that it was Jungkook’s, but stopped when she saw the firm, serious look in his eyes. He nodded at the male, “Put him down, please.”
 
Yura refused to, “Not unless I hear an apology first.” She squeezed her fist tighter, and the male choked.
 
“You heard her,” Jungkook brushed a piece of lint off of his shirt and stared at the male with dark eyes, “Will you apologize?”
 
“He will!” the other two friends reluctantly agreed. When the boy being grabbed by Yura frantically nodded too, Yura’s grip loosened on him, and his feet touched the floor again. He gasped for air while his two friends shook him lightly.
 
“Are you okay, man?!”
 
“They’re insane!”
 
“And the apology?” Yura demanded. When the male stopped gasping for air, he glared at them in contempt with a smirk of disbelief, “You’re mental if you think we’re going to apologize. I can have you all expelled by telling authority!”
 
“This punk—“ Yura’s black eyes pierced through him and she stepped forward, but Jungkook held his hand out, lazily taking a step forward in dark amusement. “Oh?”
 
“Dude!” the boy’s friend on the right was sweating nervously, “Don’t you know who that is?!”
 
“Why? Should I?” the male who was choked stood up and gave his friend a bewildered look, sizing Jungkook up.
 
“You idiot! That’s Jeon Jungkook!” another hissed as he whimpered, “The one who completely obliterated one hundred guys at once by himself!”
 
“He’s respected by all the mob bosses in Seoul!”
 
“You’ll literally die if you piss him off! You stand no chance! Let’s go!”
 
Now it was Yura’s turn to gawk at him. Are they serious or just mistaken? Him? Respected by all the mob bosses? What a joke. he acts like he's two years old! She monitored his indifferent, dead-serious expression. Jungkook didn’t seem like he was laughing at the absurdity of the rumours… was he?
 
Jungkook raised an eyebrow; arms leisurely folded across his chest, “…Are you done chit-chatting?”
 
“I…” Because of his friends’ antsy behaviour, the cocky male now seemed nervous.
 
“So,” he loosened his tie with relaxed motions, “You want to expel us, huh?”
 
The male cleared his throat, “I-I can. You gonna stop me?”
 
“No, far from it,” he replied honestly from underneath his wine-red bangs, “Go ahead. Tell someone.”
 
The male looked stunned, “W-What?”

“Incoming! Teacher!” Rapmon warned from behind.
 
Yura’s eyebrow twitched in irritation before quickly backing off. Jungkook, however, eased his lips into a smooth smirk, “Tell him, but just know that you’ll be on my hit list if you do.”
 
The male’s eyes bulged out and his Adam’s apple bobbed in fear as he swallowed nervously. Without a word, the teacher gave a suspicious glance at the group, but nobody made a move to call him out. As soon as the teacher turned the corner and slid out of sight, the male cast a spiteful look at Jungkook.
 
The latter smirked and didn’t even seem fazed. He clapped a hand on the male’s shoulder, “Good choice. I would watch my mouth too if I was sprouting crap behind others’ backs.”
 
The male flinched when he came closer and failed to look mighty, “Oh, and whenever you’re unsure of cussing us out again, remember – I took down one hundred guys by myself.” With that, a smug grin coated his face, not bothering to spare the three disbelieving males another glance. “C’mon, Yura.”
 
Yura was just as appalled as the guys, eyebrows knit together in bewilderment, So he wasn’t lying?
 
Jungkook stopped in his tracks, looked back at her and sighed, lightly taking her arm, “Do I have to guide you now, too?”
 
As soon as Jungkook’s surprisingly slender fingers curled around her forearm, Yura jolted up and instinctively pried away. The wine-haired boy blinked twice at her, perplexed.
 
“I never asked you to,” she said gruffly before casting one more dark look at the three and stomping off.
 
Jungkook smirked and trailed behind her, hands in pockets.
 
The group hurriedly turned the corner. When they were out of sight, Haera practically hugged Yura, “You were the coolest! Even cooler than Jungkook!”
 
Yura’s ears were bright red as she tried her best not to look sheepish. She scowled, but she couldn’t bring herself to shake Haera’s grip off her – it was like trying to shove an eager child away; she couldn’t do it.
 
“That makes two saves in a row,” Jimin cheekily smiled at her.
 
“I gotta admit, the way you just swooped in was pretty damn cool,” Suga nodded his head with a serious expression. Yura peered down at him in his wheelchair as Suga had a serious expression on, “You had some serious swag.”
 
 
Yura snorted as the others rolled their eyes. “You think everything has swag.”
 
“Berry good, my hoobae!” J-Hope said in thickly accented English, lifting the mood by putting his thumbs up at her and doing a little dance of approval. V watched her silently until Yura’s eyes matched his. V’s pink lips curved up into a small, shy smile. Meekly, he mouthed, a ‘thank you’ before looking away in embarrassment.
 
Yura’s eyes softened, and her lips itched to smile back, but she didn’t. In the back of her head, she was still upset because those three males hadn’t apologized to the group, especially to V and Jin. Usually, she didn’t really care whether or not people talked bad about her, but she was so quick to defend the others. She had surprised even herself.
 
Suddenly, a comforting hand gently squeezed her shoulder, and she looked up to see Rapmon smiling at her, as if telling her that she had done a good job.
 
Yura felt odd with the excessive praises and overreactions. This attention was different than the negativity she was used to, but truthfully, she didn’t really mind it.
 
“Jungkook, if you'd please...” Jin quietly called. Instantly, the club caretaker guided Jin over to Yura. Jin smiled awkwardly and fidgeted a bit, but tried his best to not be shy.
 
“T...Thanks… Yura.”
 
Amidst the half-joking protests of, “Come on, hyung, that’s all you’re gonna say?!” and “This is too awkward,” Yura felt slightly relieved, despite her troubled mind.
 
In the end, all she could muster up was a shy, “You’re welcome.”