Motherly

The Outcast Club
Missed Call - Jung Joonyoung
 
--------------------
 
“Shinbi!”
 
It was an echoing voice that startled the child awake as her eyes fluttered open, but when she slowly came to her senses, Shinbi was very aware of the fact that there was nobody in sight.
 
Very faintly in the distance, the little one could hear soft sizzling from coming from the kitchen. A familiar tune was being hummed underneath the quiet sizzles. She had heard it only a few times, but she couldn’t pinpoint where she had heard it.
 
Shinbi padded her way through the kitchen, cold tiles against her tiny feet, as she watched in wonder. The humming grew louder and louder until it tickled her eardrums, the sweet notes lingering in the air.
 
"Shinbi, come and eat!" a voice beckoned her in her mind. 
 
A figure diced some carrots and cleared them into a bubbling brew of rice porridge. She had an apron around her waist, and her dark hair was swept to the side. She stirred the pot with ease and continued to hum the childish tune that echoed so painfully in her ears.
 
Mommy? Shinbi thought to herself, lips trembling. She was still half-asleep. Through her bleary eyes, all she could see was her mother cooking for her.
 
From the kitchen, Yura picked up the sound of pattering feet. Judging by how they weren’t frivolous stomps, she could tell it wasn’t Ken behind her.
 
Without turning around, she continued to chop up the vegetables and throw it into the pot, “There’s a few hours until school starts, you can go back to sleep.”
 
When there was no answer, Yura stopped humming and faltered. She glanced behind her, only meaning to look for a split second, “Shinbi?”
 
Her heart plummeted into her stomach when she saw Shinbi staring straight back at her, tears bubbling out of her eyes.
 
Of course. It was never Mommy, Shinbi thought as she rubbed her eyes and bit her lip to stop the tears. It didn't work. 
 
In a split second, Yura was crouched at her side, the brewing porridge abandoned on the stove. She searched her sister’s eyes, wiping her tears away with her thumbs.
 
“Bibi,” Yura rested her hands on her petite shoulders, worry evident in her eyes, “What happened?”
 
Shinbi simply shook her head, refusing to make a sound.
 
“Did you have a nightmare?”
 
Not wanting to respond, Shinbi reached out, yearning for her older sister's familiar embrace. Yura’s gaze softened. Carefully, she scooped her into her arms and cradled her head against her chest.
 
Shinbi wiped her eyes before resting her lips against her fist. As if by magic, the six-year old felt completely at peace as soon as she leaned against her older sister.  The thumps of Yura’s heartbeat and her sturdy frame made her feel safe and comforted.
 
Swaying gently from side to side, Yura calmly patted her back with soft thumps resounding in the air. She knew better than to question Shinbi when she was like this. Although she was usually independent, Shinbi grew insecure from time to time. Mostly, when she was scared or had too many thoughts, she latched onto Yura like she was a safety net, and would never let go.
 
"You had a dream, didn't you?" Yura asked wisely.
 
Shinbi nodded and buried her face in the crook of Yura's neck. She could smell her sweet scent, and it comforted her. I dreamt of someone singing that tune. I didn't know who it was, but I think it was Mommy
 
Yura didn't press the matter, but she could only guess as to what had made Shinbi so sad.
 
Finally, after a few minutes of rocking back and forth in silence, Yura saw as Shinbi eyed the porridge. 
 
"You hungry?" Yura crooned. "I made your favourite."
 
When she saw the bashful look on Shinbi’s face, Yura knew she was feeling a little bit better. Carefully, she stepped closer to the stove so that Shinbi could see the pot. Bit by bit, the little one’s eyes widened in delight.
 
“Rice porridge?” she straightened up, more alert.
 
“Veggie rice porridge with your favourite mushrooms, carrots, potatoes and onions all inside. Wanna sneak a taste before Jaehwan wakes up?” she mused, noticing the interested glint in Shinbi’s eye.
 
The corners of Shinbi’s lips hitched upwards as Yura smiled, satisfied, and set her down in her chair. That was all that she needed. In no time, she produced a small bowl of porridge and some water for Shinbi.
 
“You’re not eating, unnie?” she questioned as Yura took a seat beside her. The older sibling rested her head against her palm, shaking her head slightly. “Later.”
 
“Thank you for the food,” Shinbi sing-songed quietly as she took a careful mouthful of the warm mixture. Vegetable porridge was her favourite, and Yura made it rarely since she had mountains of homework these days. Because of that, Ken usually cooked.
 
It wasn’t that Ken’s cooking was bad; it was far from it, but nobody made food the way Yura did – specifically porridge. Though she was only six, Shinbi knew that Yura had probably woken up extra early to make it for her, as a small apology for being so busy. It made her smile, and within minutes, the bowl was empty. Yura watched over her fondly as she finished her bowl.
 
“Hungry, were we?” Yura raised an eyebrow, but her expression was playful. She stood up and took her bowl, “Seconds?”
 
“Yes please!” Shinbi beamed. Yura burst into a rare laugh as she wiped the side of her lips with a napkin, “Wipe your mouth first. You have rice stuck to your cheeks, silly.”
 
Shinbi blushed and wiped the sides of furiously before cheekily smiling, showing off her tiny teeth. She meekly put up two fingers, “I promise won’t tell Ken oppa, so can I have two more bowls of porridge?”
 
Yura pretended to sigh in response to her adorable antics before ruffling her hair, “You’re lucky you’re cute.”
 
Shinbi burst into quiet giggles as Yura endearingly smiled.
 
From afar, Ken had quietly exited his room with damp hair and a towel around his neck. He had watched the whole scene unfold and smiled at the sight. He’d go and bother them later, but for now, he retreated back into his room. Rubbing his head with his towel, he walked quietly around his room, studying the photo frames on his shelf.
 
Most showed pictures of him and the girls as they aged over the years. Ken’s gaze traced the frames, neatly placed in a row, until he paused at one particular frame, face-down on the shelf. His eyes grew dim as he neared it, picking it up with an outstretched hand.
 
From inside the frame, a younger Ken posed with a peace sign beside his favourite aunt. At the time, she had a stylish, sleek black bob and a reckless look in her eyes as she grinned beside him. Her arm was around his neck in an amiable headlock. Yura was a carbon copy of the woman.
 
Ken didn't smile, nor laugh. Instead, he hid the frame away on his shelf again for it to collect dust.
 
I'm sure you still haven't realized the mistake you made, auntie.
 
________________
Hello all! 
First of all, I would like to apologize for a very long overdue chapter! I know I promised updates last wednesday or so but after recovering from my sickness, I was swamped with work! The flu and overworking definitely do not mix. -_-;;
But I've recovered (hurray!) and finished the work safely. I'd also like to thank everyone who were so kind as to leave "get well soon" comments! Those really cheered me up. ^-^
As promised, I decided to post up at least a small chapter first. I have more I want to write, though! :D
 
Oh! Also, I created a poll earlier on today. I wanted to create a small side social media account either on tumblr or twitter to update you guys on new chapters (whenever I remember to), inform you guys about chapter delays, messages if the AFF servers ever go down, and maybe do some exciting things like Q&As, discussions, k-pop (of course) & songrecs!
Without further ado, I have decided to create a Twitter account for this reason! You can find out more in my blog post: http://www.asianfanfics.com/blog/view/994213
Here is my twitter page: https://twitter.com/muzikmaster_aff
Thanks for your continued support and see you all at my next update! ^0^
-muzikmaster.