Capture the Delinquent

The Outcast Club
Day of Peace - Epik High
 
---------------------
 
Gurgle.
 
Yura’s cheeks reddened as she felt the pain of hunger target her vulnerable stomach. The bell that signalled lunchtime had just rung, and for once, she was ecstatic. That meant she could have some peace and quiet at the ol’ oak tree.
 
All night she had been contemplating about her club change request form and how Jungkook had so easily torn it up. Also, the imaginary Jungkooks and other HFC members kept distracting her from her homework, so she almost pulled an all-nighter. She was epitome of grumpiness at the moment.
 
A group of jocks raced to the cafeteria, and Yura sidestepped, avoiding them. She turned the corner, only to ram headfirst into someone. The other person almost fell back, “Whoa!”
 
On instinct, her hand shot out and grabbed the person’s forearm. Yura stared straight into the eyes of the person and instantly regretted it. Oh no. The sole reason of my lack of sleep.
 
Jeon Jungkook brightened, “Look who it is.”
 
She could feel the stares now, and could almost hear the murmurs: “Daeeeebak… Jeon Jungkook’s talking to Han Yura! Plus, he’s smiling!”
 
Yura remembered Shinbi crooning to her about Jungkook being similar to Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon, and Yura stared at him. Very quickly, she concluded that he was nothing like the masked superhero. Thanks to the gossip, she was even more tired and irritated to even laugh about the comparison.
 
“Tch. Tuxedo Mask, my .” Yura roughly let go of him and passed him, but he followed her like a stray puppy. 
 
“Hey, wait! HAN YURA! I told you not to act like you don’t know me!” He yelled, making everyone in the hallways stop and stare at the scene in silence.
 
Yura had never so badly wished to crawl under a rock.
 
“Yura! YURA! Hey, Miss Grumpyface, I'm talking to you—"
 
What?” She hissed with a deadly look on her face.
 
“Give me your arm for a sec.”
 
Yura stared into Jungkook’s amused eyes. She was perplexed, “…What?”
 
“Good enough,” at once, Jungkook took her arm and dragged her off.
 
“WHAT THE—?!” Yura tried to yank away from his iron grip, but Jungkook was no easy match. He was headed towards the cafeteria, and she grew desperate. She aimed for his legs and kicked furiously, trying to get away.
 
Unfortunately, Jungkook’s reflexes were superhuman as he avoided her kicks with ease, “Whoa, whoa. Where are you even aiming? Aim anywhere except my important parts, m’kay? I need those.”
 
“Let go!” Despite herself, Yura grew red at his words and sneered, “I swear, Jeon Jungkook, you little bas—“
 
“There they are!” He said in relief, leaving Yura astonished. The little jerk wasn’t even listening to me!
 
Kids were everywhere, but Yura was able to pinpoint a table filled with familiar faces. The tables around it were deserted.
 
“Come on, princess,” he led her to the seats and plopped her down beside him, “There you go. Now wasn’t that fun?”
 
Fun?! Fun my —“ Yura began to roar, but Jungkook placed a finger on his lip, making her falter. A supervising teacher walked by, eyeing Yura suspiciously before leaving.
 
When the teacher left, Jungkook burst into laughter as Yura heatedly glared at him, “You are so dead, I swear it.”
 
It was then that she noticed many pairs of eyes on her, and looked up to see the members of HFC surrounding her, some with shocked expressions and others, amused. Thanks to their commotion, 90 percent of the cafeteria was staring at their table.
 
“Oh my gosh, is she going to hit someone?”
 
“Jeon Jungkook got Han Yura pissed off. Bad move.”
 
“It’s the battle of the delinquents!”
 
“Let me see, let me see!”
 
Yura had to get away from all the unwanted attention. It was like a big spotlight had been put on her, and she was some freak show. Making up her mind to leave, she shot out of her seat, not daring to look twice at the other HFC members in humiliation.
 
As if he couldn’t hear what the murmurs were, Jungkook took a big bite of rice and a slurp of soup, “Where are you going?”
 
“I told you, I don’t eat lunch in the cafeteria,” she mumbled and stepped over the bench.
 
“You don’t eat lunch here because you’re intimidated by the stares, or because you don’t want to be seen with us?” he questioned calmly, “Or both?”
 
Yura’s insides froze up as Jungkook downed his food and stared at her with a straight face. Nobody moved nor said anything for a while. There was no doubt that the others, with their disabilities and zero popularity, were always the centre of attention for ridiculing, whether they liked it or not. Just being seen together by the other students made them looked down upon. They didn't have a choice to leave, while Yura did.
 
...But did she really want to stay?
 
Haera's sudden intrusion made Yura think twice. "Jungkook, that's enough,” she shot a glare at him while he just shrugged and chewed on a piece of spinach. Her warm eyes settled on Yura. “If you feel uncomfortable around us, you can leave if you'd like."
 
Yura, still tensed up, slowly turned around to check Haera’s expression. What kind of face would she have on?
 
To her surprise, Haera wasn't tense or disappointed. Instead, her eyes seemed to scream out apologies. It was far too easy to know what she was thinking. From the corner of her eye, she spotted Haera’s arm – the one that became injured due to her confrontation with Hyeri.
 
Her insides slowly turned mushy, and Yura groaned. She hoped she wouldn’t regret this.
 
Very, very slowly, she turned around and plunked back down, much to everyone’s surprise.
 
“She’s actually sitting with them?”
 
“She fits right in.”
 
“Birds of a feather flock together, I guess.”
 
BAM!
 
Yura’s rationale snapped in two as she slammed her palms on the table, making everyone flinch like they were electrocuted. Her dark, beady eyes locked onto the students staring at them in the cafeteria.
 
“’Oi. You over there,” she flicked her head in the direction of one scrawny-looking male. The boy grew tense and pointed to himself, “M-Me?”
 
“Yeah. Mind your own business.” She glared daggers. Her gaze was so cold that the boy gulped and quickly looked away.
 
I thought so, she turned back around. Eight pairs of eyes shamelessly continued to stare at her in awe. Yura looked up and felt the heat of embarrassment creeping up on her, which she quickly masked.
 
The corners of Jungkook’s lips curved up into a sly smirk.
 
Jin, relying on the voices than his sight, spoke up first. "Erm... not that I mind, but Jungkook, why did you suddenly bring Yura here?"
 
"Easy," the red-head stated nonchalantly, "It's because she's the newest member of HFC.”
 
“Wha—“ Yura was dumbfounded by his impulsiveness yet again, “I never—“
 
“Remember yesterday?” He flipped his reddish hair, and Yura’s eyes widened.
 
With a mischievous glint in his eyes, he ripped the form cleanly and smirked, making Yura’s jaw slack open.
 
“For the record, we’re way better than the Arts Club, so don’t go betraying HFC!”
 
“Yesterday?” J-Hope whispered. Rapmon shrugged in equal confusion.
 
“You little—“
 
“It’s official,” Jungkook winked, “Welcome to our crew, newbie.”