Theme 036

VIXX 300 Theme Challenge
Title: Precious Treasure
Pairing: HyuKen
Related Chapter: 107
Word Count: 983

 

Sanghyuk was a pirate. Well, sort of. He wasn’t the traditional kind that stole from everyone for himself. He only plundered from the rich and he gave most of his spoils to the poor. With his crew of like-minded individuals, Sanghyuk was like a Robin Hood of the pirate age with his crew serving as his merry men. His pirate flag, designed by a crew member named Wonsik, showed this; a skull wearing a hat like the one Robin Hood was supposed to wear.

There was, however, one treasure that Sanghyuk refused to share with anyone.

“Hyukkie,” Jaehwan laughed, waving at the captain from the crow’s nest.

“Jaehwan,” Sanghyuk yelled, “don’t lean over the edge like that, you’ll fall. Come down here.”

“Sure thing, Captain,” Jaehwan saluted him, smile never leaving his face.

Sanghyuk had come from the streets originally. When he was only eleven years old, he left his poor town and joined a pirate crew where he’d slowly worked his way up through the ranks until his was second in command. By the time he was nineteen, Sanghyuk was captain of his own ship with a crew of young men he trusted with his life. He’d found each of them, saved them from their painful lives, and given them a family.

Of all his crew, he was closest to five young men. First, there was Hakyeon. Older than Sanghyuk by five years and an amazing dancer, he’d been cleaning houses for rich people who abused him when Sanghyuk had met him. The younger was still with his original crew and had yet to start his own, but that hadn’t stopped him from bringing Hakyeon along. When Sanghyuk decided it was time to leave and captain his own ship, Hakyeon had simply smiled and said that he’d come before Sanghyuk had gotten around to asking him.

The next was Hongbin, an incredibly attractive man who held the job of first mate. The young man had been sold to a brothel by his own parents at a young age and hadn’t been able to leave no matter how hard he tried. Sanghyuk and Hakyeon had been on a supply run when he ran by, several of the brothel guards chasing him. Without thinking, the two pirates had drawn their blades and fought the guards, thus saving Hongbin from being dragged back to that horrible place once more. Hongbin had begged them to take him along, but he hadn’t needed to beg because Sanghyuk had planned to do just that as soon as he realized the other needed help.

Third to join was Wonsik, an artist. In his town, he had been arrested for creating art denouncing the corrupt mayor and was sentenced to hang. Sanghyuk hadn’t planned to take Wonsik along. He’d only gone to the town in the first place to free another prisoner who was a well-known pirate – Sanghyuk’s former captain. When he got there, the old pirate had struck up a friendship with Wonsik and suggested Sanghyuk take the boy along. Trusting his former leader’s judgment, Sanghyuk had done just that and never once had he regretted it.

After Wonsik was Taekwoon, a silent and intimidating man with a soft voice and beautiful singing voice.  Taekwoon had found Sanghyuk and demanded to join. While more than a little surprised since Taekwoon had quite the reputation as a pirate already, Sanghyuk had agreed. Later, Taekwoon admitted that his original plan was to use Sanghyuk and his crew in a revenge plan against a noble who had killed his father, but he’d changed the plan when he grew to be close friends with Sanghyuk and the others. While others like Hakyeon, Hongbin, and Wonsik were a little upset at this news, Sanghyuk had just shrugged it off. He’d helped Taekwoon get revenge anyway and Taekwoon had officially become one of the crew.

The final crew member that Sanghyuk was especially close to was Jaehwan, the young man who’d yelled down from the crow’s nest and was running to tackle Sanghyuk after climbing down.

“Hyukkie,” Jaehwan teased, “you never let me have any fun.”

“Your type of fun puts you in danger,” Sanghyuk frowned, “you know I don’t want to risk you getting hurt.”

“We’re pirates,” Jaehwan shrugged, “getting hurt is part of the job.”

“Not for you,” Sanghyuk replied, taking Jaehwan’s hand and leading him to the captain’s room, “you don’t get hurt.”

“Aw, Hyukkie,” Jaehwan teased, “you’re so sweet.”

Jaehwan had been nothing more than a beggar on the street when he had crossed paths with Sanghyuk. The pirate had given the poor man a handful of cash and a smile before continuing on his way. Jaehwan had instantly recognized Sanghyuk from the countless wanted posters around the town, all promising the same massive reward for the pirate captain. Jaehwan had snuck onto the ship, planning to capture or kill the pirate so that he could get the reward. He’d lasted less than a day in hiding before Taekwoon had found him and dragged him by the collar to Sanghyuk’s room.

Sanghyuk had decided to keep Jaehwan on the ship, unable to blame the poor man for giving into his greed. Few of his crew had agreed with his decision, Taekwoon and Hakyeon had often spoken out against it while Hongbin and Wonsik simply glared at Jaehwan to make sure he knew how unwelcome he was. After a year, however, Jaehwan had become a valued member of the crew. Besides that, he’d become a very important person in Sanghyuk’s life. Probably the most important person.

“Only for you,” Sanghyuk smiled ever so slightly, closing the door behind himself and Jaehwan, “no one else but you.”

“Good,” Jaehwan returned Sanghyuk’s smile with one of his own, wrapping his arms around his captain.

Sanghyuk made a point of sharing the treasures he gathered with everyone, but he flat out refused to share Jaehwan.

A/N: spent a lot of time thinking about this. Even rewrote this since I hated the first version so much. But I like this a lot and I hope you guys like it, too. also, i turned it into a stand alone here.